Blackhawk Holsters - Best Value [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Holsters - Best Value

TallPaulSeattle
01-09-2013, 23:38
I have tried a lot of holster brands but have come to the conclusion Blackhawk are the best value. Just bought a Sportster for the G17 and it retains the pistol well AND draws smooth. About $24 with shipping and it includes a paddle and belt clip. Outstanding!

Tech knight
01-10-2013, 02:43
If it's the Serpa style, be careful when drawing and dirt and even snow can clog the release mechanism.

Not bad holsters for the price or range use though

Bill Lumberg
01-10-2013, 04:59
Unless you're rolling in sand, the serpas are fine. More than adequate for a person with even marginal gun handling skills. That said, there are better and more concealable holsters out there. If it's the Serpa style, be careful when drawing and dirt and even snow can clog the release mechanism.

Not bad holsters for the price or range use though

PattonT
01-10-2013, 07:36
One thing though is I was told that the Sportster was a lesser quality plastic than the Serpa. I really think the $45 Safariland ALS is a great holster. I believe I could jump up and down on the Safariland and not crush it. Oh and I'm a huge advocate of the Glock Sport Combat holsters for $12

Arc Angel
01-10-2013, 08:25
I have tried a lot of holster brands but have come to the conclusion Blackhawk are the best value. Just bought a Sportster for the G17 and it retains the pistol well AND draws smooth. About $24 with shipping and it includes a paddle and belt clip. Outstanding!

The SERPA is a good, relatively inexpensive, holster; you've just got to learn how to use it correctly; and, yes, SERPA's are not all that concealable; but, still, I've surprised more than one person when I either removed or opened my shirt. I own a lot of expensive holsters, and three SERPA's. That tells you what I think of them!

Don't crawl around on your belly, or play in the mud, and your SERPA should continue to operate freely. The only problem I've had with mine is that, sometimes, the gun will, 'stick' in the holster when you don't work the button quite well enough. The easy way to get out of this is to simply press down again on the gun and, then, pull upwards a second time. ;)

(I wanted a Kramer Gunleather, 'appendix carry' holster for my new G-19; but, the kid in Kramer's sales department couldn't get it through his head what kind of holster I was looking for! So, not being able to get the Kramer holster I wanted, I opted out for the SERPA. So far, no real regrets! This is, by the way, the only paddle holster I've ever owned that absolutely, positively, will not pull out of my pants on the draw - Outstanding!)

PVolk
01-10-2013, 10:33
One thing though is I was told that the Sportster was a lesser quality plastic than the Serpa.
I really don't think that is true. I own one of each and they don't appear to be any different in terms of material quality. The only difference between the two is retention.

PattonT
01-10-2013, 10:59
Oh your right he is talking about the friction retention only holster without the button. I thought we were talking about the Serpa Sportster, I believe the BH website states that it is a softer plastic.

dhgeyer
01-10-2013, 13:15
I'm sure this has been beaten to death. I bought a Blackhawk Serpa and a Safariland #6378 ALS Concealment Paddle with interchangeable belt loop (which the Serpa aslo has) for my G19. I bought them at the same time to see which one I would like better. I figured the other one would be backup. The Safariland cost about 10 bucks more than the Serpa. I think the Safariland is better in every respect. It covers and protects more of the gun. It has a soft, suede like material on the inside. The retention release is a thumb activated lever, which I find much more natural and intuitive, and doesn't run any risk of putting the trigger finger near the trigger. I also find the Safariland paddle is more comfortable, and holds the pistol closer to the body.

I know there are better options out there for more money, but I find all the options (as explored in other threads on this forum) overwhelming. So I walked into the LGS and bought the best they could show me. So far I'm quite happy with the Safariland, but could use the Serpa if I needed to.

TallPaulSeattle
01-11-2013, 00:12
I'm sure this has been beaten to death. I bought a Blackhawk Serpa and a Safariland #6378 ALS Concealment Paddle with interchangeable belt loop (which the Serpa aslo has) for my G19. I bought them at the same time to see which one I would like better. I figured the other one would be backup. The Safariland cost about 10 bucks more than the Serpa. I think the Safariland is better in every respect. It covers and protects more of the gun. It has a soft, suede like material on the inside. The retention release is a thumb activated lever, which I find much more natural and intuitive, and doesn't run any risk of putting the trigger finger near the trigger. I also find the Safariland paddle is more comfortable, and holds the pistol closer to the body.

I know there are better options out there for more money, but I find all the options (as explored in other threads on this forum) overwhelming. So I walked into the LGS and bought the best they could show me. So far I'm quite happy with the Safariland, but could use the Serpa if I needed to.

I will say the Blackhawk paddle is a bit uncomfortable for my frame - seems to dig into the hip when in the 4 o clock postion. The new Fobus paddles are better I have always found Fobus holsters offer too much or too little retention.

PVolk
01-11-2013, 10:02
Why carry with the paddle as apposed to the belt loop attachment? I never use a paddle with mine as I find the belt loop option far more comfortable.

1smoothredneck
01-11-2013, 20:51
Why carry with the paddle as apposed to the belt loop attachment? I never use a paddle with mine as I find the belt loop option far more comfortable.
This^^^

Bill Lumberg
01-12-2013, 09:11
The serpa is the only holster I've ever encountered that holds it tighter to the body with the paddle attachment versus the belt loop attachment. I've never encountered any other holster that way.

PattonT
01-12-2013, 09:22
The serpa is the only holster I've ever encountered that holds it tighter to the body with the paddle attachment versus the belt loop attachment. I've never encountered any other holster that way.

The ALS does as well.

Bill Lumberg
01-12-2013, 10:03
Good to know.