Mom defends self, children. Suspect shot 5X [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mom defends self, children. Suspect shot 5X

Lord
01-10-2013, 09:01
http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2013/01/09/tsr-dnt-mattingly-mom-shoots-intruder.cnn

I love the reason he hasn't been arrested yet.

score one more to the good guys.

madAB
01-10-2013, 12:01
Great video.

Gunnut 45/454
01-10-2013, 12:25
Unfortunately the scumbag survived! She did exactly what needed to be done -she's a keeper!:supergrin:

steveksux
01-10-2013, 12:47
Good reason to carry a six shooter I'd say.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SCmasterblaster
01-10-2013, 12:54
Good reason to carry a six shooter I'd say.

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

It must have been a .22, .32, or a .38. The guy carried five shots with him as he escaped.

Fungunner
01-11-2013, 04:05
The husband told 911 it was a .38. It's probably a good thing for the perp that it was only a 6 shot revolver. I had to cheer, when I heard the husband tell her to "shoot him again".

Glockwork Orange
01-11-2013, 04:15
We had another one yesterday here in Georgia...elderly man was home when two goblins broke into his home while he was there...long story short, one of the goblins got away, other goblin took a shotgun blast to the throat...and was held at gunpoint until PD arrived...one of the best 911 calls I ever heard!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Arc Angel
01-11-2013, 04:21
Maybe, now, the government will finally get around to putting a police officer in every home! :shocked:

Glockworks
01-11-2013, 04:31
We had another one yesterday here in Georgia...elderly man was home when two goblins broke into his home while he was there...long story short, one of the goblins got away, other goblin took a shotgun blast to the throat...and was held at gunpoint until PD arrived...one of the best 911 calls I ever heard!

This happens EVERY day here in the US where someone with a gun protects themselves or others. Th media squashes the stories. Since the tragedy in Conn, hundreds have been saved all over the US who would have been raped/robbed/maimed/murdered without a gun as they were outnumbered or physically weaker than their attackers.

Why do the libs want that?

redbaron007
01-11-2013, 08:36
:thumbsup: to the Wife!!!

Kudos to the husband for encouraging his wife to protect herself/kids and to survive.

I like the reason why the sheriff won't arrest him now....doesn't want to pay for his medicals. Sad part is, the people will anyway! :sad:

:wavey:

red

cowboy1964
01-11-2013, 14:26
5 out of 6. That's a better ratio than the police usually do.

Punctured lungs, punctured liver and stomach. The guy should have bought a lottery ticket too.

RJ's Guns
01-11-2013, 14:46
It is a good thing that there was only one bad guy. She would have been S.O.L. if there had been 2 or 3 bad guys, as she had fired all the rounds in her 38 spl. revolver just trying to stop 1 bad guy, and after taking 5 hits he was able to drive away in his car. If he was able to drive away after taking 5 hits, what would he have been able to do to her and/or her kids if he had been so inclined.

So much for needing more than a 10 round magazine, after all no one is ever attacked by more than 1 person and all it ever takes is 1 round to stop a bad guy.

RJ

Goosemanimis
01-11-2013, 16:53
Great story

ICARRY2
01-11-2013, 17:00
Sweet!:D

Maybe the newspaper would like to publish her address for the criminals to view. :)

mingaa
01-11-2013, 17:18
Yes, nice (all too rare) coverage of a good shoot. SOoooo - she'd had basic handgun training, nothing extensive AND she was able to keep her children safe and put 5 of 6 shots into a daytime home invasion BG. Now substitute the word SCHOOL for HOME. IMHO the vast majority of adults could handle guns well and responsibly with the want to do so and reasonable training.

But I'm preaching to the choir aren't I?!

Providence
01-11-2013, 17:29
I love a story with a happy ending!

I would really like to know what ammo she used. I wonder if it was FMJ?

CanMan
01-11-2013, 17:35
Go girl Go :thumbsup:

Glockwork Orange
01-11-2013, 19:38
I like the reason why the sheriff won't arrest him now....doesn't want to pay for his medicals.

Standard practice here in GA...if you're under arrest before or during your hospital stay then state has to pay your bills...if law enforcement waits for you to get released then picks you up then YOU are billed for your medical care...we just did that with the goblin in my post #7 above today...hospital called when he was about to be released and we met him outside with warrants, no medical bill for the taxpayers now!

RJ's Guns
01-11-2013, 20:04
Standard practice here in GA...if you're under arrest before or during your hospital stay then state has to pay your bills...if law enforcement waits for you to get released then picks you up then YOU are billed for your medical care...we just did that with the goblin in my post #7 above today...hospital called when he was about to be released and we met him outside with warrants, no medical bill for the taxpayers now!

No doubt, they are still deadbeats, with no job wages or assets to attach, so the taxpayers (the productive members of this society) end up picking up the tab for the medical expenses anyway. It sounds like a clever way to proceed, but all that I see it doing is shifting the burden from the local government entity, to the State and/or the Federal Government. And if it is the Federal Taxpayer that ends up paying, because of the clever little trick played by the local governmental entity, thanks for nothing.

RJ

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2013, 06:31
It is a good thing that there was only one bad guy. She would have been S.O.L. if there had been 2 or 3 bad guys, as she had fired all the rounds in her 38 spl. revolver just trying to stop 1 bad guy, and after taking 5 hits he was able to drive away in his car. If he was able to drive away after taking 5 hits, what would he have been able to do to her and/or her kids if he had been so inclined.

So much for needing more than a 10 round magazine, after all no one is ever attacked by more than 1 person and all it ever takes is 1 round to stop a bad guy.

RJ

I think there's a bigger problem here (with regards to the suspect not going down)... I read on another link yesterday (don't remember where) that the rounds went "through and through"... indicating ball ammo was used.

.38spl are a fine self defense round, when loaded with proper ammo. 135gr +P Gold Dots are an excellent .38spl SD load.

Lior
01-12-2013, 06:39
They should have gotten Piers Morgan to narrate.

benji
01-12-2013, 06:41

Link? I'd like to hear it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

redbaron007
01-12-2013, 10:32

Good to know...however, the BG prolly doesn't have any coverage and the hospital will right it off....again forcing the good folk who pay their bills to pay for his services...indirectly. :steamed:

red

The Wolverine
01-12-2013, 11:04
5 out of 6. That's a better ratio than the police usually do.

Punctured lungs, punctured liver and stomach. The guy should have bought a lottery ticket too.

I am with y'all, they had to be fmj's, both lungs and liver with holes and he ain't dead?

I killed a deer a couple years ago with one shot from a .38 semi-wadcutter from about 15 feet out of a 3'' model 65. It never took a step, no exit, and the lungs were jello, and that was just a lead bullet, gold dots would have ended that encounter permanently, after two or three.

CA Escapee
01-12-2013, 12:16
CNN says the sheriff says the couple is dealing with "unintended consequences." One of which is probably having the carpets cleaned.

I'd be willing to send the Herman's a couple of boxes of Speer 135gr .38+P's for the next time they need to defend themselves.

Interestingly, on one of the news channel blogs in Denver anti-gun people are saying everything from "see, she didn't need an AW to defend herself" to "see, having a gun didn't stop the guy," to "she didn't have to shoot him, the police were on the way." :rollingeyes:

Bill

garebel
01-12-2013, 14:16
CNN says the sheriff says the couple is dealing with "unintended consequences." One of which is probably having the carpets cleaned.

I'd be willing to send the Herman's a couple of boxes of Speer 135gr .38+P's for the next time they need to defend themselves.

Interestingly, on one of the news channel blogs in Denver anti-gun people are saying everything from "see, she didn't need an AW to defend herself" to "see, having a gun didn't stop the guy," to "she didn't have to shoot him, the police were on the way." :rollingeyes:
Bill

I also noticed that one of the national news shows led off their broadcast with the recording of Mr Herman screaming for her to "shoot him again", rather than preface the report with any type of introductory explanation to the listener/viewer as to what was actually happening.

Would anyone actually be surprised to hear at least one comment to the effect that she used excessive force, regardless of the fact that the BG was well aware that he was not alone in the house, and, further, had used the crowbar (which he was still holding) to force his way through three doors in order to reach the mother and children?

Glockwork Orange
01-12-2013, 18:06
Link? I'd like to hear it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, no can do...still an active investigation since he survived...

Paul53
01-13-2013, 10:49
:thumbsup: to the Wife!!!

I like the reason why the sheriff won't arrest him now....doesn't want to pay for his medicals. Sad part is, the people will anyway! :sad:

red

Universal health care would have prevented this!

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 13:38
The husband told 911 it was a .38. It's probably a good thing for the perp that it was only a 6 shot revolver. I had to cheer, when I heard the husband tell her to "shoot him again".

I hope that they trade it in for a .357 Magnum.