Mars Mission [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mars Mission

RWBlue
01-10-2013, 10:19
Since they are beginning the selection for a Manned Mars Mission....

Lets have a little fun.

What gun or guns would you take?
Think what you want to shoot.
Think logistics.

Talk to me about the ballistics on the red planet.

Does Mars have the raw materials to make guns and ammo there?

crazymoose
01-10-2013, 15:19
Given the gravity (just over 1/3 of Earth's gravity) and atmospheric density (less than 1% of Earth's density), I'm thinking that even calibers like 5.56 would be good for five or six mile shots. With a caliber like .50 BMG or .416, the limiting factor on range probably has more to do with the planet's curvature than the ballistics of the cartridge.

bac1023
01-10-2013, 18:02
The 50BMG may be able to be shot into orbit, lol.

nbkky71
01-10-2013, 18:39
Crazymoose is spot-on. The gravitational and atmospheric differences could lead to some REALLY long shots!

WIKI lists the escape velocity on mars as 5km/sec (11,000mph), so even the fastest production small-arms cartridge couldn't reach that.

As for me... I'd be happy to just play a game of lawn darts on Mars :)

RWBlue
01-10-2013, 19:05
I am thinking with the lack of O2 there may be some issues with conventional cartridges.

I would also think that a pin prick would be death to a man in a space suit.

crazymoose
01-10-2013, 23:29
I am thinking with the lack of O2 there may be some issues with conventional cartridges

Gun powders contain oxidizers. Wouldn't be an issue at all.

A space-suit tear would be a giant issue, though. Duct tape would be your friend!

countrygun
01-10-2013, 23:44
Given the atmosphere and gravity, you could probably do a lot with a little. I might have a custom job done. Maybe see about having a CZ75 or BHP converted to .30 Tokarev.

CajunBass
01-11-2013, 06:06
Given how much it cost to lift a pound of payload into earth orbit where the flight has to start, and the likelyhood of running into anything on Mars that needed shooting, I doubt you'd find room for a slingshot.

Now, that slingshot...that might be neat. :supergrin:

Glock30Eric
01-11-2013, 07:06
M1 Garand. :)

The_Gun_Guru
01-11-2013, 07:23
RIFLE:
AK.....specifically, my Norinco Type 56S.

PISTOL:
Kel-Tec PMR-30

TGG

Glock30Eric
01-11-2013, 07:53
I signed a petition on White House asking WH to fund and build a death star by 2016. I lol'd and signed it. I know it won't happen but it was so funny!

RWBlue
01-11-2013, 09:55
I signed a petition on White House asking WH to fund and build a death star by 2016. I lol'd and signed it. I know it won't happen but it was so funny!

I would prefer a moon base. The Death Star was too vulnerable to small X-wing fighters.:whistling:

RWBlue
01-11-2013, 09:57
Given how much it cost to lift a pound of payload into earth orbit where the flight has to start, and the likelyhood of running into anything on Mars that needed shooting, I doubt you'd find room for a slingshot.

Now, that slingshot...that might be neat. :supergrin:

I agree that a sling shot would be neat, but I have watched too many movies. I would want to take some more lethal weapon. If just to defend against others on the trip who get space sickness.

Glock30Eric
01-11-2013, 10:31
I would prefer a moon base. The Death Star was too vulnerable to small X-wing fighters.:whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:May the force be with you!

EDIT: By the way if you haven't know that they have exceeded the threshold for the petition. I signed as 35,399 something. It amazed me that many people signed for it. LOL!

EDIT 2: Here is the link to the petition and help yourself to sign it to laugh for the day. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/secure-resources-and-funding-and-begin-construction-death-star-2016/wlfKzFkN

1gewehr
01-11-2013, 10:42
If you have an Project Orion-type ship, then weight is not an issue! A 4,000-ton ship would have some extra weight allowance for a nice selection of weapons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29

Personally, I would have mounted 25mm chain guns as well as FALs, M4s, and sidearms for crew.

RonS
01-11-2013, 15:53
Smith and Wesson .22 LR kit gun from the good old days and a new Colt Series 70. Then my Anschutz .22 sporter. It doesn't have a model number, it is too old. A Garand or 1903A3 would round it out.

mac66
01-11-2013, 16:17
Illudium Q 36 space modulator of course.

ColdSteelNail
01-11-2013, 16:19
Gun powders contain oxidizers. Wouldn't be an issue at all.

A space-suit tear would be a giant issue, though. Duct tape would be your friend!

True. A gun will fire in outer space and in the thin atmosphere of Mars. You may not get many shots off since lubricants would evaporate quickly in either environment. A graphite or dry lubricant may last longer.

countrygun
01-11-2013, 17:15

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee518/CountryG/Kaboom_zps8882aac1.png

CajunBass
01-11-2013, 18:17

:rofl:

I wish I'd said that.

:rofl:

Glock30Eric
01-11-2013, 20:27
Hey guys the WH responded to the Death Star petition!!!

This Is Not the Petition Response You're Looking For

By Paul Shawcross, Chief of the Science and Space Branch at the White House Office of Management and Budget

The Administration shares your desire for job creation and a strong national defense, but a Death Star isn't on the horizon. Here are a few reasons:

The construction of the Death Star has been estimated to cost more than $850,000,000,000,000,000. We're working hard to reduce the deficit, not expand it.
The Administration does not support blowing up planets.
Why would we spend countless taxpayer dollars on a Death Star with a fundamental flaw that can be exploited by a one-man starship?
However, look carefully (here's how) and you'll notice something already floating in the sky -- that's no Moon, it's a Space Station! Yes, we already have a giant, football field-sized International Space Station in orbit around the Earth that's helping us learn how humans can live and thrive in space for long durations. The Space Station has six astronauts -- American, Russian, and Canadian -- living in it right now, conducting research, learning how to live and work in space over long periods of time, routinely welcoming visiting spacecraft and repairing onboard garbage mashers, etc. We've also got two robot science labs -- one wielding a laser -- roving around Mars, looking at whether life ever existed on the Red Planet.

Keep in mind, space is no longer just government-only. Private American companies, through NASA's Commercial Crew and Cargo Program Office (C3PO), are ferrying cargo -- and soon crew -- to space for NASA, and are pursuing human missions to the Moon this decade.

Even though the United States doesn't have anything that can do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, we've got two spacecraft leaving the Solar System and we're building a probe that will fly to the exterior layers of the Sun. We are discovering hundreds of new planets in other star systems and building a much more powerful successor to the Hubble Space Telescope that will see back to the early days of the universe.

We don't have a Death Star, but we do have floating robot assistants on the Space Station, a President who knows his way around a light saber and advanced (marshmallow) cannon, and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which is supporting research on building Luke's arm, floating droids, and quadruped walkers.

We are living in the future! Enjoy it. Or better yet, help build it by pursuing a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field. The President has held the first-ever White House science fairs and Astronomy Night on the South Lawn because he knows these domains are critical to our country's future, and to ensuring the United States continues leading the world in doing big things.

If you do pursue a career in a science, technology, engineering or math-related field, the Force will be with us! Remember, the Death Star's power to destroy a planet, or even a whole star system, is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

I won't be surprised if we could hit $850,000,000,000,000,000 debt ceiling sometime soon! LOL!!!!! Best laugh ever!!!

Glock30Eric
01-11-2013, 20:30
Man I cannot stop laughing when I read it for twice and thinking over on it.