CCW in Colorado [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW in Colorado

mrstrau
01-10-2013, 14:41
Hi all,

Within a few weeks, after waiting a full year, I, a resident of Dutchess County, New York, will have a CCW permit. Recently, I had a change of heart about where I live. I've been stuck here my whole life, and am ready for a change. As soon as I pay of some debt, and save up a bit of money, I plan to move to Colorado with a friend of mine. I have family out there, so I have a level of support and I think overall it will be totally doable.

My question, however, is not concerned with moving there, but the gun laws there. As I am a bit of a gun guy, I would like to be able to conceal carry in Colorado when I move out there. Since I have to forfeit my NY permit when I move, I am wondering what I should do about any handguns I have, and how easy it is to get a CCW out in Colorado. Do any of you have experience with getting a pistol permit out there? Is there anywhere that allows open carry? Are the gun laws out there decent? I know decent is a subjective term, but coming from Zoo York, anyplace has got to be better, except, I suppose, California.

Thanks for your time.

TL;DR: I am moving from New York to Colorado. How difficult is it to get a CCW out there, and what should I do about my handguns when I move?

Thanks
Mrstrau

Trigger Time 23
01-10-2013, 15:56
Colorado allows open carry. CCW Permits are relatively easily obtained. Gun laws are great compared to where you are coming from. I carry every day concealed. Not a problem. You will love Colorado.

4Rules
01-10-2013, 17:15
Go to handgunlaw.us

(Then click on Colorado.)

kb18no1
01-10-2013, 19:04
Take a CCW class... now it is CHP in Colorado. Concealed Handgun Permit. Apply with your counties sheriff office. About $150 or less.

You might be able to use your carry license to replace the class... can't remember exactly.

BTW, Colorado is technically not a TRUE open carry state. It is mostly like an open carry state... not to start an argument.

mrstrau
01-10-2013, 20:47
Colorado allows open carry. CCW Permits are relatively easily obtained. Gun laws are great compared to where you are coming from. I carry every day concealed. Not a problem. You will love Colorado.

Great, thanks! Looking forward to making the move. So I would be able to bring my handguns with me and open carry until I get a CCW? I just want to clarify. Unlike some responses to my thread, you've been very helpful.

Thanks
mrstrau

NecoDude
01-10-2013, 21:26
Unless you have a CHP from or reciprocal in Colorado you are not legal to carry concealed on your person. You are fine if you carry in your vehicle. Open carry is legal except in the city and county of Denver but still not very accepted anywhere but in the more rural areas. Good luck and welcome.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mrstrau
01-10-2013, 21:42
Unless you have a CHP from or reciprocal in Colorado you are not legal to carry concealed on your person. You are fine if you carry in your vehicle. Open carry is legal except in the city and county of Denver but still not very accepted anywhere but in the more rural areas. Good luck and welcome.

Forgive me, I'm new to carrying, what is a CHP? Also I plan to apply for a nonresident permit in both Utah and Florida. From what I understand, this will allow you to carry in most states. Does that make any difference?

scottgun
01-10-2013, 22:01
CHP = conceaed handgun permit
It's the name on top of the card, same as CCW Like CPL (Concealed Pistol License) in other states.

Welcome to Colorado. I moved outta NYS 12 years ago, and don't regret it. We need more voting gun owners here, unfortunately the conversation is turned against us and the governor is not a friend of gun owners.

ND40oz
01-10-2013, 22:44
It'll take around 90 days after you apply to get your permit. You'll also need a utility bill from the address you're living at when you apply.

rilkil23
01-10-2013, 23:09
Gun laws in El Paso County are user friendly while Denver County would rival those of Chicago and NYC. It's a great state and lots of good folks have their carry permit. Long wait to apply for the permit followed by a ninety day wait to receive the actual permit in the mail. Welcome from Colorado Springs.

NecoDude
01-11-2013, 11:14
Forgive me, I'm new to carrying, what is a CHP? Also I plan to apply for a nonresident permit in both Utah and Florida. From what I understand, this will allow you to carry in most states. Does that make any difference?

Utah and Florida permits are pretty expansive yes. Colorado has good reciprocal agreement with many states, I travel quite a bit and am good anywhere I've gone. (So Far)....

Here's the current list by CBI: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPS-CBIMain/CBON/1251622200175

mrstrau
01-11-2013, 21:20
Utah and Florida permits are pretty expansive yes. Colorado has good reciprocal agreement with many states, I travel quite a bit and am good anywhere I've gone. (So Far)....

Here's the current list by CBI: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPS-CBIMain/CBON/1251622200175

Thank you, I recently heard from someone that Colorado recently banned non-resident permits and many reciprocal treaties with other states, which is why I started the thread in the first place. But here it seems that it works with many states. I suppose I will apply for a state with a reciprocity agreement with Colorado first, so I can bring my handguns with me.

mrstrau
01-12-2013, 08:54
Gun laws in El Paso County are user friendly while Denver County would rival those of Chicago and NYC. It's a great state and lots of good folks have their carry permit. Long wait to apply for the permit followed by a ninety day wait to receive the actual permit in the mail. Welcome from Colorado Springs.

I'm wondering how long is a "long wait" to apply for the permit? Here in Dutchess County, I applied in January 2012, didn't get an appointment for fingerprinting until September, and am still waiting for the permit today. Most turnaround times are 1 year, but sadly, it can take up until March of this year to get.

I suppose I could always move to somewhere outside of Denver County and open carry until I get it, or just make sure I have a permit from a state that allows reciprocity.

Do you know if I have a permit from, say, Pennsylvania, which has reciprocity agreement with CO, that I could carry in Denver County? Of course that's where my family lives...

4runner freak
01-12-2013, 09:47
Colorado CURRENTLY has great gun laws.

Let me clarify the concealed part first. A Colorado RESIDENT cannot carry concealed with a out of state permit that CO is reciprocal with. You MUST have a CO permit to concealed carry in CO as a Resident. So if you get a Utah/Florida permit, you can carry until you get a CO drivers license(I think you have 30 days?)
Getting a permit was very easy when I got mine, but I have to assume that there is a crazy long list of people applying. State law gives the sheriff 90 days to give you your permit(Whether your BG check comes back or not), unless they find something that they restrict.

As said, Denver city/county is a pain for open carry or living there, but isn't any trouble with concealed.

Signs do NOT carry any weight of law.
I have open carried a few times with no one even looking twice.

There is legislation being pushed right now to define ALL guns as "weapons" and make it a felony to carry one(I don't think this has a chance), also a Brady check on all transfers(public or private) and a state registry on all guns.

CA Escapee
01-12-2013, 10:25
Here's a link to the Rocky Mountain Gun Owners website. http://www.rmgo.org/ (http://www.rmgo.org/) If you click on the tabs near the top of page you'll see one for "Firearms" and "Political." There's a lot of info contained there.

Colorado is a shall issue state. There is a law on the books that states CO has 90 days after you've applied to say yes or no to a permit based on how squeeky clean your background is. If you move to Adams County, (hint, hint,) one county north of Denver you'll also need to submit your DD214 (Honorable Discharge) for a CHP. (not true for other counties) Once you move here there is no paperwork to fill out for owning your firearms here. CO doesn't register firearms. (as of 1/12/13, but hurry) You are a resident of CO as soon as you get your CO driver license/ID, and can apply for a CHP.

If after you move here you still yearn for overbearing restrictions then Denver is the place for you. AW ban, no high capacity magazines over 21 rounds, no open carry.

Might I suggest you move to CO first, then mail your permit back to NY.(or not) You are technically a resident of NY until you get your CO driver license/ID card. If you turn your permit in before moving it will be illegal for you to posses your own pistols in NY. I ran into a similar situation years ago with Monroe county before my father passed away.

Oh yeah, it's currently 7F and sunny in Thornton. It is very dry in Colorado. (It's a dry cold?)

Like the bumper sticker says, "Not a native, but I got here as soon as I could."

Welcome to Colorado!

Bill

mrstrau
01-12-2013, 12:21
I'd just like to start off by thanking all of you for your input. It seems to me that many people, natives or not, love Colorado, and its only solidifying my will to move out there.

I just want to say a few things to make sure I have this all right:

I cannot carry concealed once I get my residency in CO, but I can if I move out there with a reciprocal permit from another state, until, that is, I get my CO drivers license. As someone suggested, I should probably move out there first, apply for a CCW once I get my residency.

Lets say I move to a county that is more rural, such as El Paso county. I would be able to bring my handguns with me and carry openly without a permit? I don't mind the wait for a CCW, as long as I can bring my guns with me. I waited forever to get them here in Zoo York, so I'd hate to have to sell them just because I move.

I plan to visit this summer, mostly to discuss with my family moving out. So since I'll have my CCW then, and hopefully a permit that CO recognizes, I plan to bring my gun with me. Perhaps I will visit a sheriff's office and get the specifics.

Sorry if I seem dense haha, all these different regulations on guns and CCWs can get ridiculously confusing.

Thanks again for your input, and I look forward to being a Coloradan soon!

mrstrau

CA Escapee
01-12-2013, 13:08
I'd just like to start off by thanking all of you for your input. It seems to me that many people, natives or not, love Colorado, and its only solidifying my will to move out there.

I just want to say a few things to make sure I have this all right:

I cannot carry concealed once I get my residency in CO, but I can if I move out there with a reciprocal permit from another state, until, that is, I get my CO drivers license. As someone suggested, I should probably move out there first, apply for a CCW once I get my residency.

Lets say I move to a county that is more rural, such as El Paso county. I would be able to bring my handguns with me and carry openly without a permit? I don't mind the wait for a CCW, as long as I can bring my guns with me. I waited forever to get them here in Zoo York, so I'd hate to have to sell them just because I move.

I plan to visit this summer, mostly to discuss with my family moving out. So since I'll have my CCW then, and hopefully a permit that CO recognizes, I plan to bring my gun with me. Perhaps I will visit a sheriff's office and get the specifics.

Sorry if I seem dense haha, all these different regulations on guns and CCWs can get ridiculously confusing.

Thanks again for your input, and I look forward to being a Coloradan soon!

mrstrau

With regards to CONCEALED carry in Colorado:

1. In your situation, right now, move to Colorado get your Colorado driver license, your CHP, then you can legally carry concealed.

Because:
2. Here's a link to a map of states that Colorado will honor a permit for. http://www.rmgo.org/firearms/concealed-carry/310-reciprocity-map You are currently a resident of New York. New York isn't one of the states who's permit Colorado honors. As long as you are a resident of New York you can not legally carry CONCEALED in Colorado using a New York permit.

With regards to OPEN carry:

Yes, if you move to El Paso County you can bring your guns and legally own them and open carry without a permit. It is legal in Colorado to open carry outside of Denver County, but you could attract all kinds of attention from others including the police-that's up to you. I don't open carry.

Bill

F350
01-12-2013, 13:34
Take a CCW class... now it is CHP in Colorado. Concealed Handgun Permit. Apply with your counties sheriff office. About $150 or less.

You might be able to use your carry license to replace the class... can't remember exactly.

BTW, Colorado is technically not a TRUE open carry state. It is mostly like an open carry state... not to start an argument.

When I moved here and got my CCP the info from the sheriff said proof of completion of a handgun safety class within the past 10 years

I used the certificate of training I got to get my Missouri permit for the Colorado permit.

As said Open Carry is legal everywhere except city & county of Denver, to ban concealed carry into a government building there has to be a permanently installed metal detector maned by LEO checking every person entering.

I OC every day, in banks, in city & county offices down main street, even dropped off my election ballot at the clerks office and have never had a negative encounter with anyone. I have even had LEO (one city a couple county) thank me for carrying, had 1 deputy in a bit of a hairy situation see my sidearm and ask for backup until other units arrived.

There is no registration (yet) so bring as many guns as you can. If you have the option, keep going till you cross the mountains and take a good look at western Colorado. I live in Grand Junction and there MILLIONS of acres of public lands open for hunting, fishing, hiking, target shooting, 4 wheeling, rafting etc just a short drive away.

mrstrau
01-12-2013, 14:33

1. In your situation, right now, move to Colorado get your Colorado driver license, your CHP, then you can legally carry concealed.

Because:
2. Here's a link to a map of states that Colorado will honor a permit for. http://www.rmgo.org/firearms/concealed-carry/310-reciprocity-map You are currently a resident of New York. New York isn't one of the states who's permit Colorado honors. As long as you are a resident of New York you can not legally carry CONCEALED in Colorado using a New York permit.

Yes, if you move to El Paso County you can bring your guns and legally own them and open carry without a permit. It is legal in Colorado to open carry outside of Denver County, but you could attract all kinds of attention from others including the police-that's up to you. I don't open carry.

Bill

Thanks for your advice and information, it's been a great help. One last question, if I get a non-resident permit from a state like Utah or Pennsylvania, that has reciprocity agreements with Colorado, would I be able to carry concealed until I get a Colorado CHP? And does Denver County allow any CCW at all?

Thanks again for your time.

mrstrau

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2013, 14:52

Not to be a debbie downer, but.. doesn't Colorado only recognize RESIDENT permits?

Zyzogg
01-12-2013, 15:38
I have lived in Colorado all my life. Shooting here is great. I think you question has been well answered...just a couple of more thoughts. Stay away from metro Denver, great football team, but mostly it sucks. Get a Jeep. There are a lot of good offroadrers, but the 2 door Wrangler Rubicon is happiest on the narrow twisty switchback trails that is half of Colorado. And most of the great shooting.

CA Escapee
01-12-2013, 18:06
Thanks for your advice and information, it's been a great help. One last question, if I get a non-resident permit from a state like Utah or Pennsylvania, that has reciprocity agreements with Colorado, would I be able to carry concealed until I get a Colorado CHP? And does Denver County allow any CCW at all?

Thanks again for your time.

mrstrau

No, Colorado doesn't honor non-resident permits. You'd have to live in Pennsylvania or Utah and have a permit from there to carry concealed in Colorado.

Or as CBI's own words, "Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permit tee (sic) is 21 yrs of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state."

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPS-CBIMain/CBON/1251622200175

Bill

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 13:53

Because:

Bill

This is good advice.

random southpaw
01-14-2013, 20:13

I agree with the above statements.

Also, try not to move into the City of Denver and the same goes for Boulder.

Most other counties (you will be getting your application for permit and the permit itself from your local county Sheriff.
It is a smooth process for most counties; you are going to love living in Colorado.

Most winters are way milder than back East (I migrated from Mass.) and unless you choose to live in the mountains, you will likely be surprised at the modest amount of snow.

Welcome to Colorado!

NecoDude
01-16-2013, 15:40
Not to be a debbie downer, but.. doesn't Colorado only recognize RESIDENT permits?

Non-residents can carry with permits from their resident states if there is a reciprocal agreement between the States.

If you become a resident, your former permit is then rendered obsolete.

Desert Duck
01-17-2013, 06:49
Please take this poll from Denver TV station.... Will take you two minutes... Show your pro-gun, pro-freedom view!

So far, people are opposed to new rules and laws!

http://kdvr.com/2013/01/16/polls-what-type-of-gun-regulation-do-you-favor/

Thanks!

SCmasterblaster
01-17-2013, 12:02
CO is pretty gun-friendly, compared to NY.

Lord
01-17-2013, 13:57
Take the bills with you... you can pay them anywhere. Get out NOW!