Illinois and Michigan laws and my carry permit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Illinois and Michigan laws and my carry permit

boose88
01-10-2013, 20:55
OK so I moved from MI to IL and had no idea IL has such crazy laws. (thats not the topic of this thread)

So I want to bring my G19 to IL (yes it is in an area that allows high capacity mags). I know I need to obtain an IL license to be able to apply for my FOID card. Do I have to be an IL resident for a certain amount of time before I can get my FOID card?

When I do receive my FOID card do I have to register the firearm or can I just go back to MI and pick it up?

OK the carry question...
When I get my foid card and figure out all this mess about legally bringing my glock I will be a resident of IL and my MI CPL is still valid.

When I go to MI can I legally carry my pistol even though I am an IL resident now?

EDIT* I currently have my CPL for MI. Is switching residency via drivers license going to screw me over and void the CPL when I go to visit family? (thats a much better way to ask)

If it is legal I am assuming that all I need to do when I cross into MI is pull my car over and grab the G19 from the trunk and load it in a concealed manner and continue with my business...Right?

Thanks for the help everyone

buckeyeglock
01-10-2013, 21:16
I don't think Michigan allows a non resident to apply for a Michigan CCW permit. Technically I believe as soon as you declare residency in another state, your residency in the state you left is null and void, as would be your CCW permit. To legally carry in the state of Michigan you would need to apply and obtain a state that allows Non Residents to hold that states permit ( ie Idaho). Then you have to make sure that Michigan has reciprocity with Idaho. If it does then you are good to go. I was in a similiar situation in 2008 when I moved from Ohio where I had a Ohio permit, to Huntley Illinois.

As far as registering your handgun, I lived there ( 40 miles west of Chicago) for 3 years and I never registered any of mine. Not to be a buzzkill but after 3 years my wife and I had enough and now we reside in Missouri. Best move we ever made.

buckeyeglock
01-10-2013, 21:20
Now I forgot to mention that I am by no means an expert on each and every states CCW law. I frequent www.usacarry.com. It has two different reciprocity maps.

mj9mm
01-10-2013, 21:26
you moved to ILLINOIS!:rofl:

mj9mm
01-10-2013, 21:28
sorry, but having to beg for any of our Constitutional rights is just wrong

buckeyeglock
01-10-2013, 21:32
I did for a job relo it was either keep job or be unemployed... 2008 that was not what I wanted.

tomcon
01-10-2013, 21:35
OK so I moved from MI to IL and had no idea IL has such crazy laws. (thats not the topic of this thread)

So I want to bring my G19 to IL (yes it is in an area that allows high capacity mags). I know I need to obtain an IL license to be able to apply for my FOID card. Do I have to be an IL resident for a certain amount of time before I can get my FOID card?

When I do receive my FOID card do I have to register the firearm or can I just go back to MI and pick it up?

OK the carry question...
When I get my foid card and figure out all this mess about legally bringing my glock I will be a resident of IL and my MI CPL is still valid.

When I go to MI can I legally carry my pistol even though I am an IL resident now?

If it is legal I am assuming that all I need to do when I cross into MI is pull my car over and grab the G19 from the trunk and load it in a concealed manner and continue with my business...Right?

Thanks for the help everyone

Michigan does not honor any non-resident permits.

As an Illinois resident you can not carry concealed in Michigan and it looks like Michigan does not offer a non-resident permit.

boose88
01-10-2013, 21:57
Currently I have my MI license and CPL. When I switch to IL license and FOID card status my CPL is now garbage? I have to take the class all over again if I decide to move back?

vafish
01-10-2013, 22:08
You will need to transfer through an ffl to legally bring your handguns into Illinois once you become an Illinois resident. Federal law.

ummm no you don't.

If you transfer a gun to resident of another state it needs to go through an FFL, but a person changing residence to a different state does not need to transfer their guns through an FFL, they just pack them up and move as long as the guns are legal in the new state.

tomcon
01-10-2013, 22:30
I was wrong, it looks like you can bring your guns with you.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapAct=430%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B65%2F&ChapterID=39&ChapterName=PUBLIC+SAFETY&ActName=Firearm+Owners+Identification+Card+Act.

(d) Any person who becomes a resident of this State, who is not otherwise prohibited from obtaining, possessing, or using a firearm or firearm ammunition, shall not be required to have a Firearm Owner's Identification Card to possess firearms or firearms ammunition until 60 calendar days after he or she obtains an Illinois driver's license or Illinois Identification Card.
(Source: P.A. 96-7, eff. 4-3-09; 97-1131, eff. 1-1-13.)

xmanhockey7
01-10-2013, 22:30
Currently I have my MI license and CPL. When I switch to IL license and FOID card status my CPL is now garbage? I have to take the class all over again if I decide to move back?

IL does not currently have a carry permit. They have a FOID card but that's it. Your MI permit now means pretty much nothing because you're no longer a MI resident. You can still carry in Michigan but you would have to open carry just like any other Michiganian who does not have a CPL. That means no carry in the car and no carrying in places listed under 750.234d. and schools.

tomcon
01-10-2013, 22:40
ummm no you don't.

If you transfer a gun to resident of another state it needs to go through an FFL, but a person changing residence to a different state does not need to transfer their guns through an FFL, they just pack them up and move as long as the guns are legal in the new state.

I agree with this scenario, if you are still a resident of another state you can take your guns with you.

I misread the op as they had already become an Illinois resident would that make a difference?

boose88
01-10-2013, 22:48
IL does not currently have a carry permit. They have a FOID card but that's it. Your MI permit now means pretty much nothing because you're no longer a MI resident. You can still carry in Michigan but you would have to open carry just like any other Michiganian who does not have a CPL. That means no carry in the car and no carrying in places listed under 750.234d. and schools.

SOB!!!!!!!!!
I just want to bring my guns to IL and keep them legally in my home and when I go to MI to visit family be able to carry...damnit.

Do you have a source for this information? I just want to be crystal clear on the subject even though multiple glocktalkers are telling me the same thing.

frustration level 10/10

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2013, 22:52
You will need to transfer through an ffl to legally bring your handguns into Illinois once you become an Illinois resident. Federal law.

This is why getting advice on the Internet is dangerous,. To many people fall for nonsense like this.

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2013, 22:54
I misread the op as they had already become an Illinois resident would that make a difference?

Why would it? If it's his personal property, it doesn't matter.

So long as the gun is legal under the crazy gun laws of Illinois... he can take it with him, no problem.

boose88
01-10-2013, 23:08
This is why getting advice on the Internet is dangerous,. To many people fall for nonsense like this.

Its ok he made a mistake and smart people like myself know that I should look on state websites and confirm all information. Rather than just believing everyone on the internet

IndyGunFreak
01-10-2013, 23:21
Its ok he made a mistake and smart people like myself know that I should look on state websites and confirm all information. Rather than just believing everyone on the internet

I understand it's an honest mistake, but to often, people think what is said here is gospel and don't research things for themselves.

It sounds like you're settled in IL, so.. go get your guns, bring them back, and follow whatever registration process there is in IL.

Good luck, that place has some crazy gun laws. I could never live there.

boose88
01-10-2013, 23:24
Yeah it sucks.

My biggest problem is that im going to lose my MI CPL that I currently have when I switch residency. I may just move back when im done with school and not even bother changing the residency...idk I got to think about it

tomcon
01-10-2013, 23:25
So long as the gun is legal under the crazy gun laws of Illinois... he can take it with him, no problem.

This was the basis of my confusion, I was led to believe that it was against the law for an Illinois resident to possess a firearm or ammunition with out a FOID. Turns out there are exceptions.

xmanhockey7
01-10-2013, 23:50
MCL. 750.224 (2) and 750.231a.

Dooger
01-11-2013, 00:13
I may just move back when im done with school and not even bother changing the residency...idk I got to think about it

That's the route I'd take honestly...and wait to see what happens with the IL CC movement. Out of State tuition is really expensive though....so that'll throw another wrench in.

You should have gotten an NRA certificate when you completed you CPL course. Hold on to that. It may help you down the road no matter avenue you choose.

boose88
01-11-2013, 09:13
That's the route I'd take honestly...and wait to see what happens with the IL CC movement. Out of State tuition is really expensive though....so that'll throw another wrench in.

You should have gotten an NRA certificate when you completed you CPL course. Hold on to that. It may help you down the road no matter avenue you choose.

Its a private school so the tuition thing isnt an issue. I got into a school where its about the same as out of state.
NRA certificate = joining the NRA?

The IL CC i think will be just like New York...Impossible to get unless someone threatens your life or some other tragic thing happens. Damn laws lol. But hey I could be wrong and they could allow MI CPL holders to carry in the state and then it would be perfect!
Thanks for reminding me that they are getting CC

buckeyeglock
01-11-2013, 09:50

Yes hold onto that. I keep mine in the safe. Unfortunately Missouri does not honor an out of state training and I had to take the Missouri course before obtaining the Missouri CCW permit.

Dooger
01-11-2013, 11:30
Its a private school so the tuition thing isnt an issue. I got into a school where its about the same as out of state.
NRA certificate = joining the NRA?

The IL CC i think will be just like New York...Impossible to get unless someone threatens your life or some other tragic thing happens. Damn laws lol. But hey I could be wrong and they could allow MI CPL holders to carry in the state and then it would be perfect!

The NRA Certificate of Completion you should have received and submitted a copy to apply for your CPL.

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2013, 06:33

Well, that remains to be seen. All they have to have is a process... how fair it is, we'll see. Given the Chicago political machine... I'm not optimistic.

EAJuggalo
01-12-2013, 07:31
Here is my understanding, if you are a student you would not have to declare residency in IL. Which is preferable for many reasons. As long as you have a valid MI CPL and remain a legal resident of Michigan, you can carry not just in Michigan but in Indiana or Wisconsin as well, depending on what part of Michigan you're from, on your way to and from IL.

IndyGunFreak
01-12-2013, 11:01
Here is my understanding, if you are a student you would not have to declare residency in IL. Which is preferable for many reasons. As long as you have a valid MI CPL and remain a legal resident of Michigan, you can carry not just in Michigan but in Indiana or Wisconsin as well, depending on what part of Michigan you're from, on your way to and from IL.

Wouldn't he then have to pay out of state tuition though?

tomcon
01-12-2013, 12:21

Financial aid usually requires 12 months of residency before you qualify for in state tuition.

steveksux
01-12-2013, 16:52

He mentioned it was a private school without much differential between in state/out of state.

Randy

xmanhockey7
01-12-2013, 22:21
If he there's just as a student and not seeking to permanent live there I'm betting they won't consider him an IL resident. Every state I have looked at says if you must be there seeking permanent residence and specifically exempt college students. I'd suggest the OP look up the residency law in IL. If I'm reading this thread wrong sorry.

vafish
01-13-2013, 16:51
I agree with this scenario, if you are still a resident of another state you can take your guns with you.

If the guns were his personal property no. But if he had been in Illinois for more than 60 days after getting his drivers license I think he might have problems if he didn't have a FOID.

Now that is if the guns were his property. If he had transfered the guns, say selling them to his brother before leaving Michigan, then moved to Illinois, then later decided to buy the guns back from his brother, he and his brother would would have to transfer them through a FFL.

EAJuggalo
01-13-2013, 22:29
If he there's just as a student and not seeking to permanent live there I'm betting they won't consider him an IL resident. Every state I have looked at says if you must be there seeking permanent residence and specifically exempt college students. I'd suggest the OP look up the residency law in IL. If I'm reading this thread wrong sorry.

I've got a cousin who is living in Chicago working with Teach for America. Since it's a temporary work assignment and not his permanent residence he maintains his legal residency and lifetime carry permit in Indiana.

IGF, most states require twelve months residency and/or a high school diploma from that state to qualify for in-state tuition rates.

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 12:45
I'd move to IN.

ChiTownPicaro
01-14-2013, 13:15
Michigan does not honor any non-resident permits.

As an Illinois resident you can not carry concealed in Michigan and it looks like Michigan does not offer a non-resident permit.

Disregard the info in red it is wrong. You will need to transfer through an ffl to legally bring your handguns into Illinois once you become an Illinois resident. Federal law.

This is not true at all. Do you have a link to support this statement.

When you move to Illinois, just apply for your FOID card and you will be fine. Federal law does not state that when you enter Illinois you have to transfer your guns.

Just apply for your FOID card and you will be fine.

ChiTownPicaro
01-17-2013, 01:04
I've got a cousin who is living in Chicago working with Teach for America. Since it's a temporary work assignment and not his permanent residence he maintains his legal residency and lifetime carry permit in Indiana.

IGF, most states require twelve months residency and/or a high school diploma from that state to qualify for in-state tuition rates.

I believe only Tennessee has no tuition rates for students from outside the state. I remember it being a Southern state. I do know that some universities have night programs that don't differentiate between the rates. It varies depending on the university for the most part.

Either way Illinois gun laws are terrible. I grew up there but thankfully fled to a neighboring state.