BREN TEN prices - Wow! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BREN TEN prices - Wow!

bac1023
01-11-2013, 06:55
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325119038

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325517174

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324306920

http://www.gunsamerica.com/954311480/BREN_10_Piston.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/966218403/Bren_Marksman_Special_Match_45_ACP.htm

Good Lord :shocked:

I bought a still new (unfired) in box model a couple years back for $2400, I believe. Now we have a bid of $3500 for the same thing I bought without the box (the cheap white cardboard box does add value). A Special Forces Light model (Light means hard chrome slide, not lightweight) just sold for $4,000 and a used Military and Police model (blued frame) with no box or papers has a bid of $2900 and hasn't hit the reserve yet.

On Gunsamerica, we have a used standard model with a $3500 asking price and a used Marksman (45acp version) with an asking price of $5000. Of course, people can ask whatever they want, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they got it. Gunsamerica is not a live auction site, so you don't see bidding.

I have always loved the Bren Ten and really want a Special Forces model to go with my full size, but the prices have really gone nuts.

Prices are strictly based on collector's value and cool factor. Its certainly not based on quality. However, with only 1500 or so built in all configurations combined, I assume they will continue to go up.

That said, I do still want a Special Forces. I was going to bid on the Light model, but I already have spent a great deal on firearms in 2013 already even though they aren't in my hands yet.

Its just crazy how high these guns are going for now. :wow:

Thoughts? :dunno:

ronin.45
01-11-2013, 07:01
It does seam odd that they have jumped up so high. I wonder if the delays for the Fortis have ignited a demand.

Bruce M
01-11-2013, 07:04
"You don't pay too much. You just pay too early."

I agree that the prices certainly have gone up. But with the few that there are, combined with how many (how few) change hands in a year, it probably does not take but three or four sales to completely skew the market.

The price ... is entirely dependent upon the moods of the buyer and seller at the time of the transaction. --McKeown's Law ...

bac1023
01-11-2013, 07:14
It does seam odd that they have jumped up so high. I wonder if the delays for the Fortis have ignited a demand.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Fortis models, quite frankly. I could be wrong, of course.

Some people think the introduction of the Fortis models will reduce the value of the originals. I don't agree with that either. The new German Sig P210 models ahve done nothing to reduce the value of the Swiss originals.

I guess the Bren Tens have just be in more demand lately. :dunno:

bac1023
01-11-2013, 07:16
"You don't pay too much. You just pay too early."

I agree that the prices certainly have gone up. But with the few that there are, combined with how many (how few) change hands in a year, it probably does not take but three or four sales to completely skew the market.

The price ... is entirely dependent upon the moods of the buyer and seller at the time of the transaction. --McKeown's Law ...

Very true.

Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay. Still, a couple of years ago, used Brens would sit on GB with prices around $2K, until somebody finally bought it. Now, they are getting a great deal of attention and spark some bidding wars.

50 cal
01-11-2013, 07:20
Maybe the so-called introduction of the Fortis has spurred interest in the Bren Ten.
I do want a Fortis. Just wish VLTOR would make up their minds as to what in the heck they are doing.
Maybe this years SHOT will have an update of some sort.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 07:30
Maybe the so-called introduction of the Fortis has spurred interest in the Bren Ten.
I do want a Fortis. Just wish VLTOR would make up their minds as to what in the heck they are doing.
Maybe this years SHOT will have an update of some sort.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I'll buy one if and when they ever become available though. :)

jdw174
01-11-2013, 07:30
I got to shoot one of the original prototypes at the IPSC Nationals in 1980. Shot it with Jeff Cooper standing next to me saying how it was the greatest thing since the 1911. I had to disagree. I saw nothing in the Bren that would ever make me want to drop my 1911's for one of those. Dornhaus and Dixon tried to tackle Godzilla and failed. JMO of course....

SigFTW
01-11-2013, 07:33
I could pick a Bren Ten for under 2k right now, but I have no desire to own one. But still a cool gun.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 08:12
I could pick a Bren Ten for under 2k right now, but I have no desire to own one. But still a cool gun.

If its in decent shape, I'd get it just for investment purposes.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 08:13
I got to shoot one of the original prototypes at the IPSC Nationals in 1980. Shot it with Jeff Cooper standing next to me saying how it was the greatest thing since the 1911. I had to disagree. I saw nothing in the Bren that would ever make me want to drop my 1911's for one of those. Dornhaus and Dixon tried to tackle Godzilla and failed. JMO of course....

Had it been a better quality gun built by a healthier company, it would have done much better.

Replacing the 1911 wasn't going to happen regardless though.

Steel Head
01-11-2013, 08:31
It's seems a lot of guns in the cool guns department have gone up.
Uzi's are going crazy too.
While I like the Bren 10's if I was plopping down a few grand on a handgun it would be on a nice 1911.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 08:44
It's seems a lot of guns in the cool guns department have gone up.
Uzi's are going crazy too.
While I like the Bren 10's if I was plopping down a few grand on a handgun it would be on a nice 1911.

Well, you have to weigh quality and shootability versus collectability.

Steel Head
01-11-2013, 10:21
Well, you have to weigh quality and shootability versus collectability.

For me at this time it's all of the former and none of the latter:wavey:

There are a few other cool dept guns I might try to collect some day though but I have to invest in some better carpet first:tongueout:

Bruce M
01-11-2013, 10:25
If I could get a Bren Ten for less than 2K right now I probably would and then sell it quickly for less than 3K apparently.

Yes I remember seeing one in one of a guy's gun show display cases for ~2K a year or two ago, for at least a year with no apparent takers.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 10:35
If I could get a Bren Ten for less than 2K right now I probably would and then sell it quickly for less than 3K apparently.

Yes I remember seeing one in one of a guy's gun show display cases for ~2K a year or two ago, for at least a year with no apparent takers.

That's exactly what the deal was with them. Now I'm seeing all these bids. :dunno:

bac1023
01-11-2013, 11:37
There are a few other cool dept guns I might try to collect some day though but I have to invest in some better carpet first:tongueout:

:rofl::rofl:

dkf
01-11-2013, 11:52
I have been noticing lately pretty much everything on Gunbroker is selling well above what it would months ago. A gun that normally would not make the $475 reserve is bring WELL over $600 with some "buy it nows" well over that selling the gun. People are panic buying.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 11:59
They are.

I'm not sure why they would panic buy the Bren Ten, but even revolvers are selling at a high rate right now.

Steel Head
01-11-2013, 12:14
They are.

I'm not sure why they would panic buy the Bren Ten, but even revolvers are selling at a high rate right now.

The Bren 10 sudden increase is odd,VERY small market on those to be panic buyers.

It truly seems to be a sellers market now.
I've been watching Gunbroker for a few thing I'd like to get and the bidding on them is STUPID:faint:
Me,I'm gonna save for a while and wait for the bubble to burst.

nathanours
01-11-2013, 14:00
They are definitely a unique gun, and I find them interesting. For some reason however, I've always found them horribly ugly and ungainly looking, with no desire to own one since at this stage in life I cannot afford to seriously collect guns.

SigFTW
01-11-2013, 14:30
If its in decent shape, I'd get it just for investment purposes.

Yeah, It would make for a descent investment but the gain I would make is not really worth my time. If you are like me than it's hard to get excited over $500 to $1,000 profit. Not trying to sound egotistical, it's just the way it is now. However, that could change in the future if something happens to my job or health. Then you may see me get excited over selling a $12.00 mag for $25.00:wow:

bac1023
01-11-2013, 14:39
They are definitely a unique gun, and I find them interesting. For some reason however, I've always found them horribly ugly and ungainly looking, with no desire to own one since at this stage in life I cannot afford to seriously collect guns.

I actually think they're good looking pistols. They are based loosely on the CZ-75.

flightmedic91
01-11-2013, 14:52
They sure are expensive pistols!

bac1023
01-11-2013, 14:56
They sure are expensive pistols!

Yep...

method
01-11-2013, 14:59
it's just the way it is now. However, that could change in the future if something happens to my job or health.

Which is why you make those kinds of deals, even if it is small change to you now. Think of it as a free car payment, free groceries for a month, whatever.

I was watching the auction for that Special Forces one. They really aren't that great a looking gun.

There's still been some decent deals, at least on revolvers. A 10" Freedom Arms Premier in .50AE in the box sold for $1500 this week.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 15:05
There's still been some decent deals, at least on revolvers. A 10" Freedom Arms Premier in .50AE in the box sold for $1500 this week.

Freedom Arms are great and I've got one myself, but they have zero collector's value.

s&wfan
01-11-2013, 15:19
I don't think the Fortis will ever happen. It's all vaporware.

That's a lot to pay for the Bren Ten... didn't they have quality control issues? They are Sonny Crockett's gun, though.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 15:27
I don't think the Fortis will ever happen. It's all vaporware.

That's a lot to pay for the Bren Ten... didn't they have quality control issues? They are Sonny Crockett's gun, though.

Oh yeah, they had all kinds of issues. I don't think it was quality control, I think it was just quality.

The price has nothing to do with quality. Its all collector's appeal. :cool:

s&wfan
01-11-2013, 15:29
I would own one in a heartbeat if I could afford one.

bac1023
01-11-2013, 15:31
I was watching the auction for that Special Forces one. They really aren't that great a looking gun.

To each their own, I guess. :dunno:

I never considered them to be beautiful/elegant pistols, but I think they look very cool. They certainly have cool factor and a lot of it, in my opinion. :cool:

cal45
01-11-2013, 18:29
Hey bac1023,

Do you ever wonder as I do, if Miami Vice's creator Michael Mann never put a Bren Ten in Don Johnson's hand, these would have the cult following they enjoy today?

bac1023
01-11-2013, 19:31
Hey bac1023,

Do you ever wonder as I do, if Miami Vice's creator Michael Mann never put a Bren Ten in Don Johnson's hand, these would have the cult following they enjoy today?

I actually don't wonder, I know it wouldn't. That show really put the Bren on the map, so to speak. :cool:

Gary1911A1
01-12-2013, 03:15
I like mine, but they are safe queens now. Doubt I would ever sell them unless it was life or death. These days I shoot one of my Witness 10MM and try to pretend it's a Bren.

G29SFWTF
01-12-2013, 11:54
I'm gonna save for a while and wait for the bubble to burst. I'm also wondering when and if the bubble will burst. Even if there is no new gun law no one will ever trust Obama.

But if this is the peak of pricing, then I need to sell my aug and AK, and buy them back later at a discount. Don't want to wait 4 years though. :headscratch:

bac1023
01-12-2013, 19:46
I like mine, but they are safe queens now. Doubt I would ever sell them unless it was life or death. These days I shoot one of my Witness 10MM and try to pretend it's a Bren.

I don't blame you for not shooting them. I don't shoot my Bren either.

I have a Smith 1006 that fits the bill nicely though. :supergrin:

g2122
01-12-2013, 19:49
I was a big fan of the Bren Ten when I was younger. I grew up in the 80s and it made several appearances in some popular t.v. shows that I watched. Later when I started reading more about it, I learned that it has a very odd manual safety operation when operated in double action. I do not think it has a firing pin safety like a Sig, HK or 92FS. Apparently, that is the reason for that little push button safety on the back of the frame. For it to be safely carried hammer down for 1st shot double action, you need to push this little button on safe and to fire, of course you would have to push it back. I wonder if you could keep that little push button safety on "fire" position and carry it cocked and locked with the thumb safety engaged? Not that it matters anymore. Just wondering.

bac1023
01-12-2013, 20:29
Yes, you can carry it cocked and locked without the cross bolt safety engaged (which is on the slide, by the way, not the frame)

I see no need for the cross bolt safety at all, quite frankly. The Bren Ten operates just like a CZ-75, which has no cross bolt safety.

smith10
06-04-2013, 06:40
I have wanted a Special forces Light since first seeing them in the 80s.

SigFTW
06-04-2013, 07:05
Old thread resurrected. :shocked:

bac1023
06-04-2013, 08:07
I have wanted a Special forces Light since first seeing them in the 80s.

You and me both...

kahrcarrier
06-04-2013, 16:14
Is it true the company shipped some of the pistols without a magazine?
Just something I heard about the Bren.......

bac1023
06-04-2013, 16:55
Is it true the company shipped some of the pistols without a magazine?
Just something I heard about the Bren.......

I always thought that was bad information, due to the shortage of magazines. However, one of the owners of my local shop said he actually had his Bren Ten shipped to him without a mag back in the mid 80's. I believe he eventually did get a mag, but he long since sold the gun.

On another note, Brens weren't cheap even back then.

s&wfan
06-04-2013, 17:57
The 4506 is running north of 700 nowadays. Which stinks, because I really want one.

bac1023
06-04-2013, 17:58
The 4506 is running north of 700 nowadays. Which stinks, because I really want one.

Yeah, I've seen the 1006 at almost a grand these days. Crazy

They are great pistols that aren't being produced any longer.

s&wfan
06-04-2013, 19:24
I have one, but I bought it from the 80 year old widow of a Korean War vet that I went to church with, so it is solely a safe queen.

I want to buy one to shoot the tar out of, it is an amazing gun.

s&wfan
06-04-2013, 19:24
(a 4506)

bac1023
06-04-2013, 19:27
I have one, but I bought it from the 80 year old widow of a Korean War vet that I went to church with, so it is solely a safe queen.

I want to buy one to shoot the tar out of, it is an amazing gun.

They are great pistols.

Jade Falcon
06-05-2013, 04:22
No offense to fans of this gun, but there's NO freaking way I'd pay a quarter of that for this pistol. Bac mentioned $5k? No way. For me, it comes down to available parts and reliability, both of which, this gun has not.

bac1023
06-05-2013, 04:49
No offense to fans of this gun, but there's NO freaking way I'd pay a quarter of that for this pistol. Bac mentioned $5k? No way. For me, it comes down to available parts and reliability, both of which, this gun has not.

Thanks for your input.

They don't all go for $5K. It depends on condition and configuration. That said, even the standard model has been getting pretty high in price. I've seen them bring over $3K with no trouble these days. There are only about 1500 ever built when you add all the different Bren models together, so even the standard model is very rare. In fact, I'm sure there aren't 1500 in existence now.

As for parts availability or reliability, I don't think collectors who buy these things are too worried about it, quite frankly. I doubt anyone buys them with thoughts of daily carry or even heavy shooting.

It's a different mentality is all. It's that way with many collectible guns no longer in production. Being a collector, I understand this. However, I do know I'm in the minority.

SigFTW
06-05-2013, 07:32
There is one NIB S&W 1006 on GB that is up to $1,351.99 with two days left.:wow:

bac1023
06-05-2013, 10:48
There is one NIB S&W 1006 on GB that is up to $1,351.99 with two days left.:wow:

I can believe it these days.

Not too long ago you could get nice used models for $500 and unfired models for maybe $100 more.