Field Report - Trip to Cabela's PA Location 1/11/2013 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Field Report - Trip to Cabela's PA Location 1/11/2013

HKLovingIT
01-11-2013, 10:46
Took a long long drive to Cabela's at the Hamburg location.
1/11/2013, early AM:

Used Firearms:

Plenty of bolt guns.
Plenty of hunting type shotguns.
Used pistol racks had a number of USP 9mms- looked like well holster worn police trades.
A bunch of police trade G22s. Mostly Gen3 and a couple Gen2. Serials from C up through M and what not. [A few E series - the ones with the possible frame rail issue :dunno:]
A couple used Sigs like P226 9mm and P239 9mm and a P229 SAS Gen2, all reasonably priced.
About 4 used M&P .45s
A couple used M&P .40
One M&P .357 Sig full size.
All the M&Ps were in the $459 price range on up.
A used H&K/GSG MP5 .22
I believe I saw one S&W M&P .22 rifle used.

New Guns:

Plenty of hunting rifles and what not. Did not see any AR, AK, Moisin, etc.
Did not see any Ruger 10/22s but I might have missed them.
Plenty of revolvers.
Looks like mostly hunting type shotguns except for a couple Benelli Nova tactical. Appeared the Remington and Mossberg "tactical" types were all gone.
Berettas were down to PX4s. I asked the guy to check as I was looking for a 92. He said he had seven in the store but could not touch them - whatever that means. I guess employee purchase set aside?
Seemed to be a good amount of XD pistols
Fair amount of Glocks to include a FDE Gen 3 G22, 3rd Gen G20C and G21C.
They have a CETME (I think) pistol. Weird.
A couple new Desert Eagles, ya know, in case anyone wanted one.
Didn't see too many new SIGs
Saw some various model Kahrs.
They had a lot of different model Steyr pistols and some Walther P99s.
Did not see any Walther PPS.
Fair amount of 1911s on hand of various makes.
1 H&K P30
Prices on all the above seemed about typical for Cabelas.

Ammo:

A few crates of 880 round for Moisins. $189 a crate
Plenty of PMC Bronze 115 gr 9mm for 13.49 a box with $1 dollar off in store special.
Plenty of PMC bronze .380
Lots of Herters brass and aluminum case 9mm for about the same price.
A lot of Federal 50 gr varmint tip .223 in 20 round boxes for about $10 a box
A lot of Independence 5.56 55 gr FMJ 20 round for about $10 a box.
GI Ammo Can of 36 gr Federal bulk .22 (2100 rounds) for $99
GI Ammo Can of 440 rounds of .38 special for I think $179
Sorry, didn't look too close for 7.62x39 or .45 ACP. I did notice they seemed to have plenty of .40 S&W though.
They had large pistol primers and various rifle primers, powder, etc. Lots of reloading gear. Limit of 2000 primers per customer and I forget how much but they also had a limit on powder.
Overall the ammo shelves seemed pretty decently stocked.
Only thing is they have a 10 box per customer limit, so if you need to stock up bring a couple friends or the wife.

I got a GI can of .22 and 9 boxes of PMC Bronze 9mm. What can I say? I had a gift card from Christmas. [Which just about covered my gas. :rofl:]

Other:

No spare mags to speak of for much of anything.
A fair amount of Magpul furniture accessories.
Ruger 10/22 10 round magazines for $21.99 :faint:
Right by the store on the road into it is a huge cigar store now. You can smoke in there. Interesting.

Misc:

Gun area staff looked haggard though the store wasn't packed by any means. I was there really early. They have setup an entire customer paperwork processing area off to the right of the gun counter. I imagine it's been a zoo especially on the weekend.

:wavey:

bac1023
01-11-2013, 11:21
Yeah, I'm in there about once a month. Its less than an hour from my house.

No matter how busy or slow it is, it still takes a minimum of about 2 hours to purchase a firearm there. The system is ridiculous.

Of course, they set it up like that so you shop and spend more money.

dkf
01-11-2013, 11:28
I was at that store twice since the last week in Dec. I noticed a lot of what you noticed. There were no ARs or 10/22s both times I was there. The gun racks had a lot of empty spaces.

The one time I was there they had one lonely FDE Pmag, 4 33rd Glock mags and like 3 G22 mags. Second time I went they were gone. I did not want an FDE pmag and did not have a need for the G18 mags so I was not going to be a prick and buy them. Someone whom needs them can buy them.

They had about 100 boxes of $15 per 20 AE .223 there that did not make it to the end of the day. Was not going to pay the prices for it.

Overall the shelves still were pretty bare at the normal Cabelas prices. I would rather get it from a small local shop.

Did you happen to catch the price on that M&P .357sig? Just curious. The pistol counters were standing room only and the people were around like herds of cattle at feeding time.

HKLovingIT
01-11-2013, 11:34
I was at that store twice since the last week in Dec. I noticed a lot of what you noticed. There were no ARs or 10/22s both times I was there. The gun racks had a lot of empty spaces.

The one time I was there they had one lonely FDE Pmag, 4 33rd Glock mags and like 3 G22 mags. Second time I went they were gone. I did not want an FDE pmag and did not have a need for the G18 mags so I was not going to be a prick and buy them. Someone whom needs them can buy them.

They had about 100 boxes of $15 per 20 AE .223 there that did not make it to the end of the day. Was not going to pay the prices for it.

Overall the shelves still were pretty bare at the normal Cabelas prices. I would rather get it from a small local shop.

Did you happen to catch the price on that M&P .357sig? Just curious. The pistol counters were standing room only and the people were around like herds of cattle at feeding time.

I believe it was like the others, $459 ish. I was kind of tempted, but I'm on a Beretta mission. :supergrin:

dkf
01-11-2013, 11:53
I believe it was like the others, $459 ish. I was kind of tempted, but I'm on a Beretta mission. :supergrin:

Does not sound that awful bad. Usually cabelas is worse, like selling used Glocks for $500+.:upeyes:

JabbaNoBother
01-11-2013, 12:37
Picked up some Remington white box ammo a few weeks ago, wicked crowded. Listening to that automated "now serving number" voice goes right through me. Did you happen to notice any Ruger LCP's?

HKLovingIT
01-11-2013, 13:02
Picked up some Remington white box ammo a few weeks ago, wicked crowded. Listening to that automated "now serving number" voice goes right through me. Did you happen to notice any Ruger LCP's?

I did not notice any sorry. That is to say they might be there, but I was not looking and don't recall.

JabbaNoBother
01-11-2013, 13:11
No problem, thought Id ask

cowboy1964
01-11-2013, 13:16
I *wish* we had a Bass Pro or Cabelas here in NE Ohio. NE Ohio always gets screwed on stores like that (Ikea, too).

Bob Hafler
01-11-2013, 13:52
Always like riding my Harley out to that store. It's about an hour and half to two hours away depending if I take the fast way or the prettiest way there. One of my friends bought a CZ rifle there not long ago but I never bought any guns there. Pretty cool store though.

ak103k
01-11-2013, 16:20
One thing you need to watch gun wise with Cableas is, when dealing with the Gun Room and having things shipped in from other stores. Their prices often seem to vary widely and for no apparent reason.

My dad had them send in a Browning O/U he was interested in. They wanted $2600 for it, and while it was in nice shape, there was no box or chokes, just the gun.

I walked out to the counter outside to look around while he was looking at that gun, and they had a couple of the exact same gun, NIB, on the rack, for $1800 each.

I went back in and asked the boy what the difference was, and he looked at me somewhat annoyed, and said he didnt think there was any, other than the one he had was used and missing parts, and the other was NIB and came with everything. Needless to say, he didnt buy that one.

I also noticed in the handgun cases, they had Walther P1's in the gun room for around $500, where out on the cases on the floor, they had a couple more, for $279. Same guns, same accessories.

Ive never bought anything from them, mostly because I never saw any deals, and dealing with their system looked like a waste of time. Any time Ive been there, the counter was always busy, and thats been getting there early on off days.

As far as everything else, Ive pretty much given up on them there too, and usually find better deals and better stuff elsewhere, and usually on line. Once the novelty of the store being there wore off, I pretty much quit going, unless I was using them for a meeting point with friends coming the other way.

If you want better deals gun wise, and reloading wise, check out Shyda's over across from the VA hospital in Lebanon. They are about 40 minutes west of Cabelas. Both are about an hour and a half from me, and Ill swing by Shydas, and then right on past Cabelas when going that way.

They have a good selection, better prices, and none of the crowds or BS. I was there Monday, and came home with the powder and primers and a few other things I was looking for. Most places online were sold out, and even if they had had them, they were showing a higher prices. The hazmat issue is kind of a moot point for me, what I spend in gas is about what most charge for the hazmat fee, so either way, I pay.

ARP
01-11-2013, 22:29
I *wish* we had a Bass Pro or Cabelas here in NE Ohio. NE Ohio always gets screwed on stores like that (Ikea, too).

The Polaris area of NE Columbus.