Two Portland Men Open Carry Rifles To Educate About Gun Rights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Two Portland Men Open Carry Rifles To Educate About Gun Rights

HKLovingIT
01-11-2013, 12:53
The news story:

http://www.kptv.com/story/20548025/men-armed-with-rifles-walk-through-portland-to-educate

Meh.

RyanNREMTP
01-11-2013, 13:48
Has to be a better way of doing that. A lemonade stand comes to mind.

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

ChiTownPicaro
01-11-2013, 15:36
If what they are doing is legal, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't have gone about it that way but at least they are trying to help out.

collim1
01-11-2013, 15:47
Doesn't help our cause at all, and probably does more harm than good. There are better ways to fight this.

RJ's Guns
01-11-2013, 19:07
Just what gun owners need now, idiots scaring the anti-guncrowd and giving us more bad press. What A-holes.
RJ

Dragoon44
01-11-2013, 19:18
Just what gun owners need now, idiots scaring the anti-guncrowd and giving us more bad press. What A-holes.
RJ

The real problem is they scare the folks that have no fixed opinion on the subject of guns. And they run the risk of alienating those that are on the fence on the issue.

All the anti's have to do is point to folks like these and say, "there, that's what the folks that own the "black rifles" are like, nutjobs that think carrying an assault weapon downtown is a great idea."

RJ's Guns
01-11-2013, 19:32
The real problem is they scare the folks that have no fixed opinion on the subject of guns. And they run the risk of alienating those that are on the fence on the issue.

All the anti's have to do is point to folks like these and say, "there, that's what the folks that own the "black rifles" are like, nutjobs that think carrying an assault weapon downtown is a great idea."

You said it better than I.
RJ

R*E
01-11-2013, 19:40
These two moron did nothing to help our cause, it's a great ammo for the antigun crowd.

6forsure
01-11-2013, 19:42
These two moron did nothing to help our cause, it's a great ammo for the antigun crowd.

Like 99.99% of all open carry in populated, public areas. :upeyes:

Bren
01-11-2013, 19:55
If what they are doing is legal, I don't see the problem. I wouldn't have gone about it that way but at least they are trying to help out.

It has about the same positive impact as educating people about political correctness by standing on the corner yelling racial insults at passers by - that's legal too.:upeyes:

RJ's Guns
01-11-2013, 21:02

I do not think that they were "trying to help out", I think that they are morons trying to call attention to themselves and they hoped that this would get theim air time on TV, locally and across the country.

The A-holes.

RJ

RJ's Guns
01-11-2013, 21:03
Like 99.99% of all open carry in populated, public areas. :upeyes:

I agree

RJ

ChiTownPicaro
01-11-2013, 23:31
If it is legal, I don't see the harm. I remember people doing carrying evil black rifles at rallies where Obama was speaking. That didn't seem to be any more of a problem. I see a couple of young men exercising their first amendment rights and their second amendment rights at the same time. I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.

TBO
01-11-2013, 23:49
If it is legal, I don't see the harm. I remember people doing carrying evil black rifles at rallies where Obama was speaking. That didn't seem to be any more of a problem. I see a couple of young men exercising their first amendment rights and their second amendment rights at the same time. I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.
They weren't where Obama was speaking.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

etc1006
01-12-2013, 04:40
IIRC, I read here in MD that you can carry a long gun. The wording of the law allows it.

A6Gator
01-12-2013, 08:36
I do not think that they were "trying to help out", I think that they are morons trying to call attention to themselves and they hoped that this would get theim air time on TV, locally and across the country.

The A-holes.

RJ

Egotistical dumbasses.

Dragoon44
01-12-2013, 09:02
I guess we have a different view of things and the Bill of Rights.

Narcissistic navel gazers always have a different view of things, because for them they are the only thing that matters. Common sense and self restraint never enter into their thinking. all they think about is what they want.

They take liberty for license, adopting a thought process that is, "As long as it is legal I'll do it", then wail when society gets fed up with their antics and makes it illegal.

And even then they will never acknowledge that their activities were counter productive. And never served any purpose other than their own gratification.

The Legalist asks- "Can I?"
The Libertine asks, "Will I?"
The Prudent man asks - "Should I?"

RJ's Guns
01-12-2013, 13:16
Narcissistic navel gazers always have a different view of things, because for them they are the only thing that matters. Common sense and self restraint never enter into their thinking. all they think about is what they want.

They take liberty for license, adopting a thought process that is, "As long as it is legal I'll do it", then wail when society gets fed up with their antics and makes it illegal.

And even then they will never acknowledge that their activities were counter productive. And never served any purpose other than their own gratification.

You nailed it. Right on the money and it needed to be said.

Thanks
RJ

steveksux
01-12-2013, 15:48
Hopefully these guys won't be as effective as the Open Carry folks in California were.

Randy

vettely
01-12-2013, 16:01

Twice well spoken. Nailed it.

splitfinger09
01-12-2013, 16:43

I agree. Stand up for them people. Might not be the best way to go about it but good for them. Stand up for what is right. If you dont like it dont live in Oregon. Go hide with the democrats in California.

Found this on another forum.

"Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision.

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Snowman92D
01-12-2013, 17:03

I think you've got 'em pegged. I've always suspected that the OC activist types engaged in that sort of conduct because they wanted to be the center of attention, and knew they'd never get it at a nudist camp.

JabbaNoBother
01-12-2013, 18:25
...bet they suck tremendously at any card game, never show your hand. EVER.

RPVG
01-12-2013, 18:46
At my age, I ask, "Do I really have to?"

Dragoon44
01-12-2013, 18:50

:rofl::rofl:

You and me both Brother.

Bruce M
01-12-2013, 19:18

:agree:

The Prudent man asks - "Should I?":goodpost:

Regarding infighting and open dissension, yes we can be our own worst antagonists. "We have met the enemy and he is us." When we scare people and when we take people who are on the fence and turn them against us, we hurt our cause and become our own enemies.

Rupert
01-12-2013, 20:18
Aren't these the same guys who go around their small Oregon town open carrying ARs and film their encounters with local cops?

splitfinger09
01-12-2013, 20:25
:agree:
:goodpost:

When we scare people and when we take people who are on the fence and turn them against us, we hurt our cause and become our own enemies.

Dont get me wrong what they did was stupid and not very well thought out. At the end of the day though they did not break any laws and did what they have every right to do. I support them because I support the second ammendment.

FireForged
01-12-2013, 20:25
Its 2013... people are going to call and report people strolling around with rifles. Police will have to waste time making contact and all the while.. real calls are waiting on their attention.

All kinds of things are not illegal but at the same time, they are not prudent. "in your face" activism rarely sits well with people, no matter what side of the fence they are on.

TBO
01-12-2013, 21:03
I support personal rights.
I support civil rights.
I support Constitutional rights.
I support legal actions.

Just because I support the above does not mean I support stupid actions.

splitfinger09
01-12-2013, 21:15
I support personal rights.
I support civil rights.
I support Constitutional rights.
I support legal actions.

Just because I support the above does not mean I support stupid actions.

Well said. Just remember "Support OC, CC, and noC - the real point is that we support the individual right, the freedom, to make that decision." We cannot waiver on our views. Either support legal gun action or not.

TBO
01-12-2013, 21:38
I do not support stupid gun action, even if it's "legal".

Dragoon44
01-13-2013, 10:24
At the end of the day though they did not break any laws and did what they have every right to do.

And this is precisely what is wrong with many's thinking.

Simply because something is legal does not make it right, prudent, or effective.

it's interesting that so many who disparage the State turn around and form their philosophy and ethics from the state.
They let the state determine what is right or wrong. based solely on what is legal and what is illegal.

The state does not determine my views on ethics or right and wrong. it can only tell me what is legal and what is illegal.

Dragoon44
01-13-2013, 10:26
I do not support stupid gun action, even if it's "legal".

+1, if something is stupid it is stupid whether it is legal or not.

I don't support stupid.

RPVG
01-13-2013, 11:02
"... They let the state determine what is right or wrong. based solely on what is legal and what is illegal.

The state does not determine my views on ethics or right and wrong. it can only tell me what is legal and what is illegal..."
The natural result of moral relativism. There's no "right" and "wrong", no "good" and "bad" anymore. Just "legal" and "illegal".

<sarcasm>
We don't need no steenkin' Morality.
</sarcasm>

Dragoon44
01-13-2013, 11:07
The natural result of moral relativism. There's no "right" and "wrong", no "good" and "bad" anymore. Just "legal" and "illegal".

<sarcasm>
We don't need no steenkin' Morality.
</sarcasm>

+1 as Allan Bloom predicted 30 years ago, the abandonment of Absolute truth in favor of moral relativism and situational ethics was producing generations that would be cynical, self centered, and amoral."

HKLovingIT
01-13-2013, 11:32
I don't think it does anything to promote gun rights education. I think it probably antagonizes people and may push fence sitters off the fence the wrong way.

Look at it like this, if an anti gun activist was walking up and down your block with a megaphone ranting about stuff it would probably irritate you and it certainly wouldn't sway your opinion. If these young men want to educate people about gun rights then they should put on a jacket and tie, print up some literature and hit the streets to make their case.

That they stated in the article they thought people would approach them for conversation while carrying ARs is an indicator that they didn't think this through very well.

The best I can say is good thought, sharing information about gun rights, but really nonsensical execution. There are lots of things that are legal to do that aren't necessarily wise to do.

Dragoon44
01-13-2013, 11:53
That they stated in the article they thought people would approach them for conversation while carrying ARs is an indicator that they didn't think this through very well.

And this demonstrates the usual bi polar nature of thought among OC activists and many Gun rights folks. They can believe to distinct and opposite things are equally true.

On one hand they maintain that the world is a far to dangerous place to go unarmed. There are people out there that want to hurt you. They also maintain that OC is an effective deterrent against criminals.

But then they equally believe that other citizens should not be alarmed by unknown individuals openly displaying firearms or even carrying rifle in their hands.

Apparently these people are NOT supposed to believe that there are people out there wanting to hurt them and the sight of an unknown person with a firearm is not supposed to disturb them at all.

Bill Lumberg
01-13-2013, 12:23
About as smart as showing up at Dairy Queen with your weenis out. The only thing acting out in this fashion does is make liberals think gun owners are attention seeking re-tards. The news story:

http://www.kptv.com/story/20548025/men-armed-with-rifles-walk-through-portland-to-educate

Meh.

G26S239
01-14-2013, 06:11
Look at it like this, if an anti gun activist was walking up and down your block with a megaphone ranting about stuff it would probably irritate you and it certainly wouldn't sway your opinion. If these young men want to educate people about gun rights then they should put on a jacket and tie, print up some literature and hit the streets to make their case.

Good point. I have discussed similarities in point of view and differences with Amnesty International signature gatherers late last year while working in San Francisco. In that liberal Mecca the AI volunteers were polite even while we disagreed. I always ended the interaction by wishing them a good day and they said the same. They never converted me but they also never alienated a potential supporter while in my presence.

Lior
01-14-2013, 07:23
What would be the political / media effect of carrying the same rifles in rifle cases?

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 10:12
Why cause such an alarm amongst the public?

ChiefWPD
01-14-2013, 10:29

+1 Not helpful.

HKLovingIT
01-14-2013, 10:37
What would be the political / media effect of carrying the same rifles in rifle cases?

Probably less of a "juicy" story for the local press.

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 11:33
And this demonstrates the usual bi polar nature of thought among OC activists and many Gun rights folks. They can believe to distinct and opposite things are equally true.

On one hand they maintain that the world is a far to dangerous place to go unarmed. There are people out there that want to hurt you. They also maintain that OC is an effective deterrent against criminals.

But then they equally believe that other citizens should not be alarmed by unknown individuals openly displaying firearms or even carrying rifle in their hands.

Apparently these people are NOT supposed to believe that there are people out there wanting to hurt them and the sight of an unknown person with a firearm is not supposed to disturb them at all.

A very good summary!