Highway Robbery [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Highway Robbery

viper144
01-12-2013, 11:26
During times of gasoline shortages, we have laws that keep retailers from robbing the public. Where are the crys from gun owners about the gauging of prices they now encounter.
I just received an e-mail from Natzhes that they had in-stock, 15 round and 17 round Glock mags. Guess what?
They stated "that due to manufacturers price increase" the new price is $34.99 each.
Also I have been checking the ammo prices......only a few weeks ago I was buying 9mm for around .21 cents, now it is over .35 cents.
In our local paper, an advertiser is selling 3- 30 round Pmags for $200.00....almost $70.00 each.
When are we gonna learn to stop the panic buying. We are doing it too our selfs.
The main problem, even if things settle down and there is no ban, (just like gas prices) you are never gonna see $20.00 mag prices or .21 cent ammo again.:crying:

hamster
01-12-2013, 11:30
I have no problem with it.

If I value a magazine at $20 and they want $50 for it I don't buy. If I really really really need to have a magazine, I'd prefer to pay $50 for it than it being out of stock everywhere.

Welcome to the market economy.

Dave.1
01-12-2013, 11:32
My local indoor range has held prices for ammo for quite a while but they also aren't letting people panic buy. Since they don't know what lies ahead they want to be able to supply their members.

I don't have any solution for dealing with the gougers and profiteers. They know if things stay in short supply you'll eventually pay their price.

The best thing to do is to remember who gouged you and after the panic don't buy from them. And if you want, let them know about it.

Dave

donmor53
01-12-2013, 11:38
"Gouging" usually pertains to unnecessary price increases involving necessities for saily life and commerce.

While guns are a commodity and felt to be necessary to many...most do not consider them absolute necessities to their survival during their "normal" daily activities.

If you feel like you are being gouged...do as I have done in the past...remember and don't do business with them in the future.

1-2man
01-12-2013, 11:41
People are crying out. Just read all the internet posts about it (including this one.) Doesn't seem to be making a difference though. :dunno:

Thornhammer
01-12-2013, 11:45
Highway robbery is what happens when the other guy is selling it and you want it.

Suave, sophisticated market strategery is what happens when you have it and can name your price for it.

freezetime
01-12-2013, 11:54
Natchez must have a bunch on their waiting list. I requested an update on inventory and havent gotten anything yet. I hate to pay 35, but I am getting 5 more mags when they become available.

dakrat
01-12-2013, 13:45
During times of gasoline shortages, we have laws that keep retailers from robbing the public. Where are the crys from gun owners about the gauging of prices they now encounter.
I just received an e-mail from Natzhes that they had in-stock, 15 round and 17 round Glock mags. Guess what?
They stated "that due to manufacturers price increase" the new price is $34.99 each.
Also I have been checking the ammo prices......only a few weeks ago I was buying 9mm for around .21 cents, now it is over .35 cents.
In our local paper, an advertiser is selling 3- 30 round Pmags for $200.00....almost $70.00 each.
When are we gonna learn to stop the panic buying. We are doing it too our selfs.
The main problem, even if things settle down and there is no ban, (just like gas prices) you are never gonna see $20.00 mag prices or .21 cent ammo again.:crying:

its a free market. sorry you are unprepared.

philpac33
01-12-2013, 13:50
$35 isn't really all that bad right now, I've seen them selling for double that the past couple weeks. They were about $30 on store shelves locally before the panic set in. $2400 for a POS DPMS AR15 that was $550 B.N.(Before Newtown) is absolutely ridiculous. B.N. might become a recognized abbreviation, like BC or AD. Things will never be the same even if no new regulations come to fruition. Prices will stabilize eventually but the golden era of gun ownership(2004-2012) is over. And I'm PISSED OFF about it!!!

HKLovingIT
01-12-2013, 13:58
Well, I feel your pain but when a lot of people really, really want to buy something that is in limited supply, the price is going to go up. When it's working in your favor (you're a seller) it's nice, when it's not (you're a buyer) you have to decide if you want to pay it or pass.

This is a good lesson for everyone to buy consumable things (not just shooting related) over time and keep a reasonable stock on a couple of shelves in the basement or garage. Imagine if we were not complaining about magazine prices but food. Or God forbid, toilet paper!!!!!!!!!!! :supergrin:

You don't have to be prepper to enjoy some future savings and peace of mind. I love it when the weather goes crazy and all the soccer moms bum rush the grocery or the message comes on the radio that we have to boil our water because of some problem.

Power goes out, natural gas lines down, no city water, grocery store flooded (actually happened here), yawn. Me and my 500 rolls of toilet paper and two Glock mags are sitting pretty. :rofl:

Bruce M
01-12-2013, 15:28
Power goes out, natural gas lines down, no city water, grocery store flooded (actually happened here), yawn. Me and my 500 rolls of toilet paper and two Glock mags are sitting pretty. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

attrapereves
01-12-2013, 15:44
The thing is that MSRP hasn't gone up, but distributors have gone up on their pricing. Hopefully Glock mags will return to $20-30 when this silliness dies down.

splitfinger09
01-12-2013, 15:46
I picked up 500rds of 9mm Federal at walmart today for $130 out the door. I was prettty excited. Now if I could only find some 5.56 for a reasonable price.

captaintrips
01-12-2013, 15:54
In a few months, the legislation will take form and the fear of the unknown will go away. At that point we will have 80-90% of gun owners who have spent in a few months what they would usually spend in years. Gun store will be empty, prices will drop...I will buy a gently used G23 at a GREAT price.

Dave.1
01-12-2013, 15:59
In a few months, the legislation will take form and the fear of the unknown will go away. At that point we will have 80-90% of gun owners who have spent in a few months what they would usually spend in years. Gun store will be empty, prices will drop...I will buy a gently used G23 at a GREAT price.

I suspect you are right.

I remember at the end of 2009 and in 2010 there were some really nice pistols for sale, both privately and as trades in stores. People realized that they didn't care any more and money was tight. On of the most traded/sold pistols I saw was the
Glock 26. I think people new to shooting had read about it or seen it in tv shows.

Dave

HKLovingIT
01-12-2013, 16:18

Yep. I'm hoping to swoop some bargains too. The only hold up would be if there was some asinine provision that made it through to law regarding the transfer of standard capacity mags. I guess I'm not so weird buying mags intended for future acquisitions.

bigkrackers
01-12-2013, 16:19
Should have bought a few. That's a good deal. Local store has them at $44.95 and another online store has them in stock for $50. I was able to get 6 g19 mags before the panic so I'm good but I wouldn't have minded getting a couple g17 mags. Oh we'll. Not going to pay through the nose for two extra rounds.

okiedave
01-12-2013, 18:14
I picked up 500rds of 9mm Federal at walmart today for $130 out the door. I was prettty excited. Now if I could only find some 5.56 for a reasonable price.

I am just trying to find a box or two of 9mm around here to replace what I shot a couple of weeks ago. I have what I need, just want to get my supply back to want I normally like to have on hand. No place I have been too in two weeks has had one box of any type of 9mm.

yfdcap
01-12-2013, 19:21
I tried calling around noon. They said they are out of everything.

freezetime
01-12-2013, 19:37
I am just trying to find a box or two of 9mm around here to replace what I shot a couple of weeks ago. I have what I need, just want to get my supply back to want I normally like to have on hand. No place I have been too in two weeks has had one box of any type of 9mm.

You might try Walmart. Ive seen several people from all over the country find Federal in stock this weekend. I picked up 5 boxes on thursday and they had several more left.

cowboy1964
01-12-2013, 19:40
I have no problem with Natchez, or anyone else, increasing their prices. That's their business decision to make. But if they're blaming it on Glock increasing their prices, they better not be lying about it or they've just lost a customer.

tonyparson
01-12-2013, 20:01
You can find good deals out there you just have to look. I bought all these mags in the last two weeks and I've paid an average of $23 per mag and only paid $40 each for the 33 and 22 round mags.
http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/14104_image_2.jpg

MrMunster
01-12-2013, 20:02
Cabelas had cases of 9 and 40 on Wednesday. The Herters brand is made by S&B and is still under $15/box.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

todd_g
01-12-2013, 20:12
It is real simple, you can offer them your price and if they say no, just move on. I was at a gun show today and watch someone pay $2400.00 for a run of the mill AR that was $700 before all of those unfortunate children were shot and killed. I saw $900 AK's, $60 to $70 AR mags and some tactical shotguns that went up by $75 to $100. They were selling G19,23,26 and 27 mags for $45. When all of the hoopla dies down you will start seeing good deals out there.:usmc:

fuzzy03cls
01-12-2013, 21:19
Where are the crys from gun owners about the gauging of prices they now encounter.
Who are u going to cry to? There's no regulatory agency for guns mags & ammo.
Your only 2 options are to buy or not. I choose to not. I don't have the $.

attrapereves
01-12-2013, 21:24
I'm still looking for bulk 22LR. All three of my local Walmarts are sold out of everything except for the small boxes of Remington. Bass pro and Dicks are all picked over too.

I just got back from South Dakota and checked several Walmarts along I-90 and all 22LR was gone (except for 17HMR and 22Mag, of course!).

mikeflys1
01-12-2013, 21:25
Who are u going to cry to? There's no regulatory agency for guns mags & ammo.
Your only 2 options are to buy or not. I choose to not. I don't have the $.

I chose to sell off some stuff....made ~$1600 last week. :cool:

Vartarg
01-12-2013, 21:27
In real "Highway Robbery", there's normally a deadly weapon, & your $$ is taken against your will.

You're just complaining about someone asking a price that you don't want to pay, and/or find "unreasonable."

Apples and Oranges....

20South
01-12-2013, 21:33
I dont want .gov regulating any more in the firearms and ammo space. Everyone has known since the first AWB that mags were in the political crosshairs. So we've had what, 8 years to buy what we needed at a lower price? I don't blame these retailers at all. Depending on severity of new restrictions, this could be their severance. What is disappointing are our own that are buying 100-200 mags at a pop for the sole purpose of getting out to gunbroker and inflating prices. I understand it and I wouldnt want that restricted either by an agency, but I dont have to care for it.

jbar174
01-12-2013, 21:35
Saw 33 round mags today for the special sale price of $199, 5.56 55 gr. ball ammo for 19.95 per 20....limit one box of ammo and one mag per customer...

Also saw a customer come in with an AR-15 looking to sell, overheard salesman tell him $500 was what they could offer, he left upset, was followed out and saw transaction go down, wonder what he got for it?

My buddy and I made a note, WE WILL NOT buy anything there...