Considering ditching Gen3 Glocks for Gen4 or RTF2 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Considering ditching Gen3 Glocks for Gen4 or RTF2

Landmonster
01-12-2013, 11:47
Hi All.

I currently own some gen3 Glocks, and I'm essentially happy with them except for their grips.

My problems:
1) The G22/17 frame seems to fit my hand worse than the G19/23. I believe the finger grooves are aligned differently, or something on those, but the grip never feels as secure.

2) All the gen3 Glocks need more grip texturing. I'm opposed to butchering my frame with any kind of melting/cutting/etc, and I don't want to go the "ghetto" route of gluing on skateboard tape.

As a solution, I'd like to look into getting some Gen4 Glocks, or RTF2s.

Now, I have held a friend's G22 RTF2, and it seemed MUCH easier to grip. I've also held new G22 Gen4s, and they also much easier to grip. So I think the primary problem with my gen3 G22 is that grip simply isn't rough enough.

Questions:

1) Can any RTF2 gen3 Glocks still be found new? (I'm in the DFW area, if that matters)

2) What models do the RTF Glocks come in?

3) Are the gen4 Glocks reliable yet? I've heard lots of past horror stories, but I haven't been keeping abreast of current issues.

elijah58
01-12-2013, 11:57
The RTF2's are still available, and you can find them on the classifieds here every so often. I know they were made in several models including the G17, G19, G22 and G23. Not sure how many others were made but I love the grip feel on mine.
Eli

jay1975
01-12-2013, 12:00
My Gen 4 G17 is fine and the smaller grips with the new texture is awesome. The thing you need to remember about those that complain: A dissatisfied customer will tell 10 people about it, while a satisfied customer tells one (Marketing 101).

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Landmonster
01-12-2013, 12:01
The RTF2's are still available, and you can find them on the classifieds here every so often. I know they were made in several models including the G17, G19, G22 and G23. Not sure how many others were made but I love the grip feel on mine.
Eli

Where can I find them new? And was that the main RTF model that was made, or were there others more predominant ones?

elijah58
01-12-2013, 12:17
The RTF2 models with the crescent serations (gills) are not made anymore, you will have to find a used one or a shop with a lot of Glocks stored and they may still have one. The availability of the RTF2/gills models are available in order according to which ones are most common.

1st G22 RTF2
2nd G23 RTF2
3rd G19 RTF2
4th G17 RTF2
5th and most rare, G23C RTF2.

The above rating is not fact and is based on my own experience of trying to locate these RTF2 models, still looking for the elusive G23C RTF2 but its pretty hard to find.

I know there are guys on here that have the G23C RTF2, and all I can say is I am envious.
Eli

Landmonster
01-12-2013, 12:20
What about the RTF"1"? Did that exist?

And are there any RTF models still being manufactured and sold new? Or has Glock gone completely to Gen4?

HKLovingIT
01-12-2013, 13:13
Before you sell your guns and spend a bunch of money, try decal grip. Just get one set and if you don't like it you aren't out much. Or you might like it a lot. I use the rubber texture not the sand personally.

http://www.decalgrip.com/

Bruce M
01-12-2013, 15:39
I would be cautious about selling Glocks that are functioning fine to get new Glocks. I believe that the vast majority of new Glocks are fine. But objective analysis of the situation suggests to me that that is not 100%.

webb3201
01-12-2013, 16:54
Hi All.

I currently own some gen3 Glocks, and I'm essentially happy with them except for their grips.

My problems:
1) The G22/17 frame seems to fit my hand worse than the G19/23. I believe the finger grooves are aligned differently, or something on those, but the grip never feels as secure.

2) All the gen3 Glocks need more grip texturing. I'm opposed to butchering my frame with any kind of melting/cutting/etc, and I don't want to go the "ghetto" route of gluing on skateboard tape.

Now, I have held a friend's G22 RTF2, and it seemed MUCH easier to grip. I've also held new G22 Gen4s, and they also much easier to grip. So I think the primary problem with my gen3 G22 is that grip simply isn't rough enough.

Questions:

1) Can any RTF2 gen3 Glocks still be found new? (I'm in the DFW area, if that matters)

3) Are the gen4 Glocks reliable yet? I've heard lots of past horror stories, but I haven't been keeping abreast of current issues.

I just bought a new G17 RTF2 from Buds online last week to match my RTF2 G19. I love these models and prefer them to my Gen 4s.

conpro
01-12-2013, 16:55
I wouldnt ditch the gen3 they are the best one made.

INEEDMILK
01-12-2013, 18:10
The RTF2 models with the crescent serations (gills) are not made anymore, you will have to find a used one or a shop with a lot of Glocks stored and they may still have one. The availability of the RTF2/gills models are available in order according to which ones are most common.

1st G22 RTF2
2nd G23 RTF2
3rd G19 RTF2
4th G17 RTF2
5th and most rare, G23C RTF2.

The above rating is not fact and is based on my own experience of trying to locate these RTF2 models, still looking for the elusive G23C RTF2 but its pretty hard to find.

I know there are guys on here that have the G23C RTF2, and all I can say is I am envious.
Eli

I'd say the 22 is most common, and then from there, 17, 23, 19.

Obviously the C models and 31, 32, 33 and harder to find.

And are there any RTF models still being manufactured and sold new? Or has Glock gone completely to Gen4?

There was a limited run recently on RTF2 models that DO NOT have the fish gills (that doesn't seem to matter to you though).

You can still find them occasionally on gun forums/websites but sometimes they are heavily used and asking quite a high price.

I just paid $640 for a NIB 19 RTF2 with gills about 2 months ago, so they are out there if you have patience.

Also the RTF"1" was simply the Gen3.

kodiakpb
01-12-2013, 19:14
The Gen 4 texture is ok. I mean it's better than the standard Gen 3, but not by much. I prefer it due to the smaller diameter (no backstrap) to the standard Gen 3.

The RTF2 is my favorite. As mentioned they are still out there and Glock did also release a batch of new runs in G17 and G21SF (straight serrations). The 21SF appears to be harder to find at the moment. I've seen some people post that they have found new old stock at their LGS (Gilled versions)...but it is not the norm. Your best bet is to keep an eye out on local guntrader boards or the classifieds.

This pic is for Eli :rofl:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/13/byne7y4a.jpg

elijah58
01-12-2013, 19:58
The Gen 4 texture is ok. I mean it's better than the standard Gen 3, but not by much. I prefer it due to the smaller diameter (no backstrap) to the standard Gen 3.

The RTF2 is my favorite. As mentioned they are still out there and Glock did also release a batch of new runs in G17 and G21SF (straight serrations). The 21SF appears to be harder to find at the moment. I've seen some people post that they have found new old stock at their LGS (Gilled versions)...but it is not the norm. Your best bet is to keep an eye out on local guntrader boards or the classifieds.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/13/byne7y4a.jpg

I knew someone was gonna do that:crying: but hopefully I will find one soon, I don't think I have even seen one on the classifieds here. But you never know there may be one there tomorrow:supergrin: when you get ready to sell it hit me up, I'll be waiting :wow:

Don't you hate it when you have something that someone else wants really bad, and you feel like you should give it to them..... Do you ever feel that way?:cool:

kodiakpb
01-12-2013, 20:15
I knew someone was gonna do that:crying: but hopefully I will find one soon, I don't think I have even seen one on the classifieds here. But you never know there may be one there tomorrow:supergrin: when you get ready to sell it hit me up, I'll be waiting

Don't you hate it when you have something that someone else wants really bad, and you feel like you should give it to them..... Do you ever feel that way?

:rofl: no not at all, even if I did pick it up for $450 with copper grease :dunno: :rofl:

If its any consolation I am envious of your collection :cool:

Glock Junkie
01-12-2013, 21:29
[QUOTE=kodiakpb;19855318]:rofl: no not at all, even if I did pick it up for $450 with copper grease :dunno: :rofl:

That's just brutal!:rofl:
I am going to fondle my gilled 19 RTF2 now :tongueout:

DannyB
01-12-2013, 22:00
No way would I sell good reliable Gen 3's to buy the 4.

AustinTx
01-12-2013, 22:07
Doesn't someone make a rubber slip-on grip for the Glock? I think I've seen a sort of rubber girdle that just slips on.

elijah58
01-13-2013, 08:06
:rofl: no not at all, even if I did pick it up for $450 with copper grease :dunno: :rofl:

If its any consolation I am envious of your collection :cool:

:supergrin: well I played every card I had, but it didn't work:crying: I could always convert my 23RTF2G to a C model, I took a G22RTF2G and added the ports to the slide and put a .357 ported barrel in it. Now I have a G31CRTF2G probably not many of those around.
Eli

rockapede
01-13-2013, 08:18

The Gen 2/Gen 3 textured frames are the "RTF1." If these are guns that you like, I'd just send them of to Cold Bore Customs or Bowie Tactical. I know you're opposed to that, but the work done by both is definitely professional looking.

Firefightermdc
01-13-2013, 08:21
I would gladly trade my new g17 for s gilled rtf2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

maestrogustav
01-13-2013, 11:24
Doesn't someone make a rubber slip-on grip for the Glock? I think I've seen a sort of rubber girdle that just slips on.

Www.trojan.com

ron59
01-13-2013, 11:31
The Talon grips do not look ghetto at all. They are designed to fit the grip precisely, I don't seem them as "ugly" at all.

I compete with my guns, I have talons on my G34 and G17. Very happy with them.

Ryobi
01-13-2013, 11:56
No gun induced issues from the 4's I've shot. Zero. But I quite like the gen 3 grip. Hi All.

My problems:

Questions:

AustinTx
01-13-2013, 16:55
Www.trojan.com

Thanks for your assistance.:upeyes: :eric::wedgie: :shakehead: :crazy: :snoopy:

Arc Angel
01-13-2013, 20:51
Pachmayr, 'Tactical Grip Glove'

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/9638/geninstipplework4.jpg

Hogue, 'Handall'

http://imageshack.us/a/img210/9545/hoguehandall.jpg

(I prefer the Hogue, 'Handall'. As far as I'm concerned it's the perfect addition to any Glock.) ;)

tcallre
01-13-2013, 21:50
Keep your reliable G3's but shop for a G4. If it checks out then you may consider letting go of one of your G3's. Over the years I've regretted selling very few of the guns I've let go. They might sit awhile but maybe you may go back to them. I've learned that while a pistol might not be a good fit you may want to learn to deal with it and appreciate it's fine points. By the way the RTF Gills are super cool, it's a shame Glock didn't stay with them. (in my opinion)

ron59
01-14-2013, 12:22
Here is a pic of a Glock with Talon grip:
http://talongungrips.com/Talon-Grips-for-Glock-Glock.htm

The Hogue grip looks good, but I used a cut bicycle tube for awhile, and you'd be surprised at how much bulkier it makes the grip feel. The Hogues look thicker even than the bicycle tube. My #1 complaint about Glocks is how bulky the grips are, I don't want ANYTHING making them thicker.

The talon ones are way thinner and fairly agressive. If it's too aggressive for you, the instructions tell how to reduce that some.

rotjovi
01-14-2013, 12:33
I have a G22 RTF2 new in the box and a G23 RTF2 also available. Message me if interested. Not really looking for money. Would like a G26 or G29 trade.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

rotjovi
01-14-2013, 12:42
That would be a G26 G4 or a G29 sf trade.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

AustinTx
01-14-2013, 14:44
My #1 complaint about Glocks is how bulky the grips are, I don't want ANYTHING making them thicker.

The Glock is a pistol with a so-called double-stack magazine. Having a plastic frame lets you have a gun, without the need for grip panels. I don't see how Glock could possibly build a gun, with it's mag capacity, any thinner. If Glocks were limited to a single stack mag, I wouldn't own any.

A plastic frame is how H&K is able, to build a pistol that will hold 13 rounds of 45 ACP, in the mag.

Try some thin, double sticky tape.

mpw003
01-14-2013, 15:17
I have two Gen4 glocks and have between the two 8K flawless rounds....I love the texture of the Gen4

RoughTexturedTrav
01-14-2013, 16:38
I prefer my gen 2 g19 with talon sandpaper grips over my g19 gills and 23c gills. Talon grips and the glock sport combat holster should ship with every glock.

ron59
01-14-2013, 16:53
The Glock is a pistol with a so-called double-stack magazine. Having a plastic frame lets you have a gun, without the need for grip panels. I don't see how Glock could possibly build a gun, with it's mag capacity, any thinner. If Glocks were limited to a single stack mag, I wouldn't own any.

A plastic frame is how H&K is able, to build a pistol that will hold 13 rounds of 45 ACP, in the mag.

Try some thin, double sticky tape.

ROFL.

Are you serious? Have you LOOKED at the grip? what about that big ass open channel in the back of the gun? They could have narrowed it down by several millimeters or something and made a HUGE difference.

After all.... look at the GEN4s? They're smaller without a backstrap than the GEN3s, which is what I happen to have. Don't feel like getting rid of my GEN3s right now.

Yeah, they might not could be made *thinner* (left-to-right) because of the double stack, but front to back shortening would achieve the same thing. A smaller grip. It's the concept they used with several models, like the G30 vs. the G30SF. Smaller grip as measured from front to back of the grip.

Go grab a towel, so you can wipe that egg off your face.

AustinTx
01-14-2013, 23:25
My #1 complaint about Glocks is how bulky the grips are, I don't want ANYTHING making them thicker.

You did say "thicker", not shorter. Glock did make a 21SF that did have a SHORTER grip. I don't keep up with Glock 45s, anymore. The 21SF may still be available. I think what you deserve is a 45 GAP.

The egg ain't on me, sir.

ron59
01-15-2013, 09:05
You did say "thicker", not shorter. Glock did make a 21SF that did have a SHORTER grip. I don't keep up with Glock 45s, anymore. The 21SF may still be available. I think what you deserve is a 45 GAP.

The egg ain't on me, sir.

I did say "thicker". Describing the measurement from left to right would be WIDER possibly.

Regardless, thicker could describe either of the two measurements, front-to-back, or left-to-right. Changing *either* would make the grip not be as blocky. You made an assumption, and it was a bad one.

Egg, meet AustinTx.

Taphius
01-15-2013, 15:51

I wish they'd make a gen 4 with the original rtf texture. Still have to use talon grips(sand one) to have it stay put in my hand.

mapwd1702
01-15-2013, 17:15
I love my G19 with the RTF2 grip finish! Unfortunately they suck for concealed carry because they stick to everything I wear! the sand down my undershirts and act like Velcro to the cover garments, so I am now looking to trade mine for a regular 3rd Gen 19.

sonoma
01-15-2013, 19:14
I put a pachmayr tactical grip on the rtfs that i carry and it took care of the problem for me.For my range rtfs i leave them stock.

g34fan
01-15-2013, 22:37
I have a Gen 3 Model 34 that I compete with and to add a bit more bite to the grip I added the diecut grip tape from Talon Grips. I think they are an advertiser here on GT. It works fantastic and doesn't add any bulk. I bought one of the rubber grips from Hogue but I felt it added too much bulk and change the overall feel of the grip.

When I bought my G26 for carry, I ordered another set of grip tape from Talon. It fit perfectly but I found it stuck to the inside of my shirt and made the gun less concealable, so I took it off.

As I began to customize the G34 for competition, I decided it was no longer appropriate for HD use and went looking for a HD replacement. On the advice of the RO at my local range who is also a Glock Armor, I went looking for a Glock 17 RTF2. It took a while to find one but ultimately ordered it from a shop selling on Guns America and had it transfered to a local FFL. Believe me when I say you feel the texture in your hand. I think it's perfect for HD but I would never use it for competion, way too aggressively textured for the amount of rounds I go through in a match.

Unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun (I've been accused of this) I would start with the grips from Talon on your existing gun. They now come in 2 flavors, sort of a sandpaper texture and a super thin rubber.

http://talongungrips.com/

AustinTx
01-16-2013, 19:41
I did say "thicker". Describing the measurement from left to right would be WIDER possibly.

Regardless, thicker could describe either of the two measurements, front-to-back, or left-to-right. Changing *either* would make the grip not be as blocky. You made an assumption, and it was a bad one.

Egg, meet AustinTx.

You must be one of them obsessive-compulsive folks, I've heard of. Never wrong, like my wife. You're not a girl, are you?

Look, BUBBA, we call that thicker, in the South. Order a thicker pancake and you won't need a bigger plate, to hold it.

If, you meant BLOCKY, why didn't you call it blocky?

This is ridiculous. Still, probably not up to the 2013 Silverado, though.:rant::rollingeyes: Thanks for participating.

Somebody, please lock this thread.