S&W 469 opinions, please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&W 469 opinions, please

clancy
01-12-2013, 15:13
My LGS has a S&W Model 469 for sale. It comes with one
pre-ban 12 round magazine and is in like new condition. What is the general opinion of the 469's?

fnfalman
01-12-2013, 15:20
It's a decent compact high-cap 9mm. I have the 6906, which is stainless steel and slightly fancier. It shoots OK, doesn't exactly wow me or anything with the trigger pulls. I've seen these SWs go for around $300 used. For that price they're pretty good catches. You can use the M59's longer mags that will stick out about half an inch at the bottom of the mag well if you can't find compact mags. I had to buy several Mec-Gar M59 mags because I couldn't find the shortened mags for the 69.

I'M Glockamolie
01-12-2013, 15:22
It should be a reliable pistol. If the price was right, I'd like to own one.

fastbolt
01-12-2013, 15:23
I owned one for short while for which I paid (and then re-sold for) $200. I thought that was a fair price for a very good condition 469.

Given my druthers, for the continued revisions and improvements within the 3rd gen model line I'd much rather own and use a 6906 or 6904.

Although, even within the 3rd gen line they continued to make refinements and manufacturing improvements during the production of the 69XX series.

I think the late production 6906's made after the introduction of MIM parts and the wide barrel tab/straight cut breech face were the best of the bunch. I've always had it in mind to pick up an example of that production period if I ever came across one in good condition.

I put a few tens of thousands of rounds through a couple or three examples of the earliest 6906 production ('89-'90), though. After the single stack 3913 (& variants), the 6906 is my favorite S&W 9mm. ;)

countrygun
01-12-2013, 15:24
There were two different batches on Gunbroker recently. One was from a US agency and one returned from overseas with the requisite "import" stamp from CAI. to overseas ones looked rough but some of the US ones weren't bad looking when you got around the $380 mark.

They are a great gun IMO. If I hadn't gone into the single stack S&Ws I would have picked one up.

clancy
01-12-2013, 15:41
Thanks guys. I had 2 6906's, both had to be replaced by S&W when the magazine disconnect safety broke on them, both of them had less than a magazine through them when it happened. I have, since then, been very leery of Smith semi-auto's.

The shop is asking $375, I could probably get t for $350, I don't need it, but am considering it.

G26S239
01-12-2013, 18:27
A friend of mine had one of the early 669s back in the 1980s. It was a pretty decent gun. For like new condition that sounds like a good deal.

fastbolt
01-12-2013, 18:56
Thanks guys. I had 2 6906's, both had to be replaced by S&W when the magazine disconnect safety broke on them ...

Do you mean the ejector (which is also part of the mag safety system)? Used guns?

If so ...

The original ejector/magazine depressor in the 2nd & early 3rd gen guns had a short tip and a sharp angle underneath the rear of the tip. This could sometimes develop a stress riser after enough use, or abuse, by slamming the longer 459/59XX mags up into the shorter grip frame, where they could bypass the mag catch and slam against the bottom of the ejector tip.

Out of about 500 3rd gen 9's, over the course of almost 20 years of service use, I'd guesstimate we replaced a dozen or more ejectors due to broken ejector tips. I can think of a 4516 that had it happen, too. Not what I'd consider a normal thing to happen, though.

The revised ejectors introduced well into the 90's incorporated a longer tip (for faster ejection, especially if higher pressure loads were being used), and a curved angle under the rear of the tip (less chance of a stress riser developing).

The odds of getting two 6906's that both experienced broken ejectors ... within the "first" mag loads ... for the same owner/shooter?!? :wow: You should have been playing the lottery that day. ;)

4 glocks
01-12-2013, 19:12
I bought one new in the mid 1980's for $299.
It was OK never had any problems with it. Once I started buying Glocks it fell out of favor. I was never that accurate with it and sold it for a small profit. I moved on to G19 and later G26. It was a OK gun just not for me.

Golddog
01-12-2013, 19:19
If it's true to form, it will have a horrendous trigger pull.

clancy
01-12-2013, 19:48
Do you mean the ejector (which is also part of the mag safety system)? Used guns?

If so ...

The original ejector/magazine depressor in the 2nd & early 3rd gen guns had a short tip and a sharp angle underneath the rear of the tip. This could sometimes develop a stress riser after enough use, or abuse, by slamming the longer 459/59XX mags up into the shorter grip frame, where they could bypass the mag catch and slam against the bottom of the ejector tip.

Out of about 500 3rd gen 9's, over the course of almost 20 years of service use, I'd guesstimate we replaced a dozen or more ejectors due to broken ejector tips. I can think of a 4516 that had it happen, too. Not what I'd consider a normal thing to happen, though.

The revised ejectors introduced well into the 90's incorporated a longer tip (for faster ejection, especially if higher pressure loads were being used), and a curved angle under the rear of the tip (less chance of a stress riser developing).

The odds of getting two 6906's that both experienced broken ejectors ... within the "first" mag loads ... for the same owner/shooter?!? :wow: You should have been playing the lottery that day. ;)

It may have been the ejector, it was when the 6906's first came out. I bought one, cleaned it, loaded up a couple mags and if memory serves, at the 7th or 8th round the pistol froze. I couldn't pull the trigger, drop the mag or move the slide. There was a live round in the chamber, too. Bought it right back to the gunshop I bough it from they sent it S&W. A week later they sent me a brand new pistol. I took that one, cleaned it, loaded up a mag, and the same thing happened. Again, we sent it back to Smith, a week later I had a new 6906, which I promptly traded on a Taurus 92.

Like I said, I have been leery of S&W auto's ever since, but I do have great respect for their customer service.

bac1023
01-12-2013, 20:18
The second gen Smiths are great pistols.

captcurly
01-12-2013, 20:21
I carried a 469 for two years prior to my Dept. going with Glock in 1988. I never had an issue with the 469 and it was easy to conceal. You can still get magazines for the 469 from S&W. I kept the weapon until after I retired and then traded it in for another weapon. I really wish I kept it.

engineer151515
01-12-2013, 20:36
SW469 in satin nickel finish. My first pistol purchase and now engraved for my daughter.

It did years of carry and nightstand duty. I never felt undergunned with it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/8179/z3js9.jpg

DFin
01-13-2013, 06:03
CDNN used to have the 12 round mags for them but not now. You can switch the pinky finger curved mag bottom with a flat mag bottom from a 59 series mag. This allows you to tuck your pinky finger under the mag in Glock 26/27 style for a versatile carry & concealment option.

FullClip
01-13-2013, 06:48
My first center-fire pistol was a 469 that I bought new. No problems with the gun at all. Had it for a few years during the "wonder-9" craze. Traded it "Even-Stephen" for an 3" Model 29 Lew Hortan edition......about 18 years ago. Still not sure if I got a good deal or not..:supergrin:

vafish
01-13-2013, 07:54
I carried a 469 for 6 years, shot the snot out of it, used it for ipsc matches, wore the finish off of it and had it hard chromed.

Onlr semi auto handgun I have owned that was more reliable than my glocks.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

pennlineman
01-13-2013, 08:06
I have a 559 and love it.