Lube Lesson Learned [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lube Lesson Learned

robotoid
01-12-2013, 21:23
So, I was fixing a kitchen faucet and had to buy and use this waterproof silicone grease. I found it was quite slick to the touch and at the same time kinda sticky/stringy to stay in place. A while later, I had my newest Glock apart for its .25 cent trigger job and parts upgrades and thought, I'll try that faucet lube on this. Aparrently the sticky outweighs the slick in small parts (striker safety plunger and trigger connector). Worst trigger pull ever. Cleaned off silicone lube with alcohol and went back to my usual white lithium grease and trigger is perfect. Lesson learned, stick with what you know works.

SCSU74
01-12-2013, 22:15
Or don't put things not designed for firearms in/on firearms...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

M 7
01-12-2013, 23:20
Glock recommends in the owner's and armorer's manual that only gun oil be used to lubricate their pistols- running with grease is unnecessary and, as you have found, may create 'issues'.

RPVG
01-13-2013, 00:42
Glock recommends in the owner's and armorer's manual that only gun oil be used to lubricate their pistols- running with grease is unnecessary and, as you have found, may create 'issues'.
What he ^^ said!

WinterWizard
01-13-2013, 02:15

There is nothing wrong with using the right type of grease in the right amount in the right places. He used some type of plumbing grease.

I use a very light coating of grease on the slide rails (because it stays) and a few drops of oil in a few other places. NEVER had a problem.

DannyR
01-13-2013, 03:35
Never place any oil or lube on the striker safety.

Arc Angel
01-13-2013, 07:13

:upeyes: Nothing personal, but, ....... Like I've never heard that one before! I've been lubricating my Glock slide rails with Sentry Solution's, 'Hi-Slip' grease for the past 10 years, and (What?) 30 or 40 thousand rounds. NEVER A PROBLEM!

Besides, what's Smyrna know? Glock can't even fix their BTF extractor problems; and, now, they're going to tell me how to lubricate one of their cheap plastic pistols? Like I can't figure that out for myself. :freak:

Bruce M
01-13-2013, 09:53

Which version of the Armorer's Manual? Page 78 of the 2010 edition - "Using a quality gun oil or grease product, lightly lubricate the barrel, barrel hood..."

M 7
01-13-2013, 10:23
There is nothing wrong with using the right type of grease in the right amount in the right places. He used some type of plumbing grease.

Well, here's a news flash- "plumbing grease" isn't the "right type of grease".

trigger19isbest
01-13-2013, 10:24
If I err when lubricating my Glock, I'll always err on the "too much" side. I haven't wore a pistol out yet.

M 7
01-13-2013, 10:37
Which version of the Armorer's Manual? Page 78 of the 2010 edition - "Using a quality gun oil or grease product, lightly lubricate the barrel, barrel hood..."

Says the same thing in my 2011 edition of the manual so it's obviously been revised recently, but I don't believe that Glock had any intention of recommending plumbing grease.

The 1992 armorer's manual says "oil only" on page 20 and the the 2002 armorer's manual says "oil only" on page 16- if they've changed the wording, it is hardly worth arguing since no recommendation is made for using plumbing grease or some other expedient.

M 7
01-13-2013, 10:47
:upeyes: Nothing personal, but, ....... Like I've never heard that one before! I've been lubricating my Glock slide rails with Sentry Solution's, 'Hi-Slip' grease for the past 10 years, and (What?) 30 or 40 thousand rounds. NEVER A PROBLEM!

Besides, what's Smyrna know? Glock can't even fix their BTF extractor problems; and, now, they're going to tell me how to lubricate one of their cheap plastic pistols? Like I can't figure that out for myself. :freak:

:upeyes: Nothing personal, but Sentry gun grease is a whole lot more suitable for the task of gun lubrication than some random "plumbing grease" with unknown properties- confusing the two as being equally suitable for gun lubrication indicates that the folks at Smyrna likely have a more informed opinion than you.

The folks at Glock say a gun-specific oil or gun-specific grease is fine, I'll take their word for it.

An anonymous recommendation for using "plumbing grease"? Eh, not so much. :wavey:

SJ 40
01-13-2013, 10:52
Well, here's a news flash- "plumbing grease" isn't the "right type of grease".:rofl::rofl::rofl: SJ 40

rdunk
01-13-2013, 11:32
Well, I just became a Glock owner AGAIN recently, so, I had occasion to look at the manual that came with my new 32c. `On page 46, there is a section titled, "Lubricating The Field Stripped Pistol". It does refer to "using quality gun oil". In a figure pic, it also shows the places on the pistol that need to be lubed.

The Glock manual says, "use a clean patch that has been dampened with quality gun oil. Wipe the outside of the barrel, including the barrel hood and lugs, the inside top of the slide forward of the ejection port where the barrel hood rubs against the slide and the opening that the barrel slides through in front of the slide. One drop of oil should be spread along the entire width of each slide rail cut. Most importantly, a drop of oil is needed where the rear end of the trigger bar touches the connector at the right rear of the frame.

This will assure proper lubrication of your Glock pistol without over-lubricating. Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication.

WARNING: Do not put oil inside firing pin channel or magazine (inside and out) and breech face should be wiped dry before reassembly. Leaving solvent or lubricant in these areas could cause contamination of primers and failure to fire."

So...............that is what Glock says in their manual to gun owners about lubrication. I am sure that most here have been cleaning and lubricating their guns long enough to not even need a manual, to know what is the right way to do it. But, it is good that Glock speaks to it directly in the manuals, for new owners.

WinterWizard
01-13-2013, 11:42
well, here's a news flash- "plumbing grease" isn't the "right type of grease".

Yes, that was exactly my point, if it wasn't clear. Plumbing grease is NOT the right type of grease to use. Thank you for agreeing with me.

gregw
01-13-2013, 12:01
A firearms instructor once told me to never use grease on a gun unless the manual says to use it.

M 7
01-13-2013, 13:08
Yes, that was exactly my point, if it wasn't clear.

It wasn't clear. Thank you for taking the time to state your position more clearly.

RRP
01-13-2013, 13:26
I bought two new Glocks in the last week. The slide rails on both were lubed with copper grease.

RPVG
01-13-2013, 13:30
I bought two new Glocks in the last week. The slide rails on both were lubed with copper grease.
That's how they come from Glock.

samuse
01-13-2013, 15:23
So the plumbing grease didn't work..

Big deal. He cleaned it off and went back to something that does.

If nobody ever tried anything different, we'd never have anything new...

F-111 John
01-13-2013, 16:50
I bought two new Glocks in the last week. The slide rails on both were lubed
with copper grease.

I bought a Glock brand new on December 1st, with a July 2012 test fire date, and it had zero copper grease anywhere inside of it.

AustinTx
01-13-2013, 16:53

He is actually RIGHT.

IOW, it takes a little common sense to grease a pistol.:supergrin: If you can't figure it out, you're too dumb to own a pistol, maybe?:cool:

AustinTx
01-13-2013, 16:55
I bought a Glock brand new on December 1st, with a July 2012 test fire date, and it had zero copper grease anywhere inside of it.

Probably removed between July and December.

Montblanc
01-13-2013, 17:01
Glocks run fine without lube, but if you do use some make sure it's light oil.

Glocks don't need much if any!

robotoid
01-13-2013, 18:29
So the plumbing grease didn't work..

Big deal. He cleaned it off and went back to something that does.

If nobody ever tried anything different, we'd never have anything new...

Yeah, this. Like I've said before and I'll say again...Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Arc Angel
01-13-2013, 18:36
Nothing personal, but Sentry gun grease is a whole lot more suitable for the task of gun lubrication than some random "plumbing grease" with unknown properties- confusing the two as being equally suitable for gun lubrication indicates that the folks at Smyrna likely have a more informed opinion than you.

The folks at Glock say a gun-specific oil or gun-specific grease is fine, I'll take their word for it.

An anonymous recommendation for using "plumbing grease"? Eh, not so much.

:upeyes: If I truly believed that, 'the folks at Smyrna' knew more than me (about anything) I think I'd go out to the barn and hang myself. I've dealt with Smyrna, on and off, for ten years now. Truthfully, I wouldn't hire any of those guys for an LGS operation.

Oh, wait! Yes I would. (How silly of me! In fact, I'd hire you, too.) :thumbsup:

ohsnapzombies
01-13-2013, 19:02

Hm..my glock 19 straight from Smyrna (USA MADE/STAMPED) doesnt seem to have this BTF issue. Guess teh folks at Smyrna did good with my cheap plastic pistol.

Arc Angel
01-13-2013, 19:37
Hey, Man, that's the beauty of Glock pistols! (You never know what you got until after your first trip to the range.) Glad things worked out for you! :)

M 7
01-13-2013, 20:42
:upeyes: If I truly believed that, 'the folks at Smyrna' knew more than me (about anything) I think I'd go out to the barn and hang myself. I've dealt with Smyrna, on and off, for ten years now. Truthfully, I wouldn't hire any of those guys for an LGS operation.

Oh, wait! Yes I would. (How silly of me! In fact, I'd hire you, too.) :thumbsup:

Well, since this is apparently going to devolve into trading subtle insult, I'll leave you with a friendly "Good Evening" and be done with it.

Take care. :)

AustinTx
01-13-2013, 20:50
Hey, Man, that's the beauty of Glock pistols! (You never know what you got until after your first trip to the range.) Glad things worked out for you! :)

"You never know what you got until after your first trip to the range."

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!!

That should be required on every Glock advertisement.

Thanks, AA.

G36_Me
01-13-2013, 22:34
Wow, this thread really brought out the haters. Anyway... to the OP, I've done some stupid stuff in my life, also. Thanks for sharing.

OrGlocker
01-14-2013, 08:16
Hey here's a thought just follow the instructions in the manual and you will be ok hummm.

BobKat
01-15-2013, 07:14
Why heck, why not just use bacon grease. In the event you have to use your firearm to save your bacon, you're all set!

Arc Angel
01-15-2013, 10:14
Well, since this is apparently going to devolve into trading subtle insult, I'll leave you with a friendly "Good Evening" and be done with it.

Take care. :)

Bye now! (Just remember I'm not the one who started it; so you shouldn't take offense if I decide to stand up for myself. OK!) ;)

LampShadeActual
01-15-2013, 10:37
Today's choices:

Red Line 20W50 oil

LubraMatic High Speed High Temperature Trailer Wheel Bearing and Marine Corrosion Control grease

Reading the specs (and having used the boat grease for 30 years) there is nothing you can invent that lubes, slides, and stays put better while handling corrosion control duties. The grease protects metal after salt water immersion.

And they aren't $10 an ounce.

M 7
01-15-2013, 10:57
Bye now! (Just remember I'm not the one who started it; so you shouldn't take offense if I decide to stand up for myself. OK!) ;)

You did start it with this little bit of snark and the rolling of eyes.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19856790&postcount=7

Prior to that, I hadn't addressed you. Grow up. :wavey:

dango
01-15-2013, 11:59
KY jelly , I like to hear it moan..! :supergrin:

TheRogue
01-15-2013, 12:26
I like the Red-Line oil idea.
Personally, I'd choose my favorite viscosity from their racing line. (High in Moly).

Arc Angel
01-16-2013, 08:18
You did start it with this little bit of snark and the rolling of eyes.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19856790&postcount=7

Prior to that, I hadn't addressed you. Grow up. :wavey:

'Grow up'? Only on the Internet! :supergrin:

Junior, You're making it really hard for me to be nice; and nice is what I'd like to be. Between the two of us I think it's you who hasn't learned how to let go. So, watch closely, I'll show you. Ready? Watch, .......

vmann
01-16-2013, 09:13

that is not lube, its anti seize for long term storage....

JBP55
01-16-2013, 09:48

What he said and it should be removed and replaced with a good lubricant before firing.

clarkz71
01-16-2013, 09:49

Page 46 on my new this year manual calls it a lubricant.
(A copper colored lubricant)
Says not to remove as it helps long term lubrication.

I can scan the page if you want.