Mountain Bike carry specific [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike carry specific

zukyota
01-13-2013, 11:19
I have read a couple of threads on bicycling & running while carrying but can't seem to locate what I'm looking for. I ride a mountain bike & I'm only able to carry my North American Arms 22. I would like to be able to carry my Glock 27. Anyone here carry a 26, 27 or pistol in that size category while they ride? I know I can find holsters online for this but I'm looking for actual experience.

Breadman03
01-13-2013, 12:31
I carry my Glock 29 in a CBST on my mountain bike, though most of my riding is on asphalt. I'm usually wearing Koppen zip-off pants, a t-shirt, and a Camelback.

zukyota
01-13-2013, 12:49
I carry my Glock 29 in a CBST on my mountain bike, though most of my riding is on asphalt. I'm usually wearing Koppen zip-off pants, a t-shirt, and a Camelback.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a CBST? I also ride mostly on asphalt.

dp2002813
01-13-2013, 13:23
I have carried a G30 in a Smartcarry while ridding a hybrid mountain bike. I also admit to loosing some leg hair at the same time. :supergrin: This will work very well with regular shorts, but those spandex things... :rofl: I'm too ugly to wear spandex anyway.

I also have found a waist pack designed for a water bottle to work very well with a 3" .357 and may fit a G26. This pack has an open pouch for the bottle and a zippered pouch that I used for whatever else. The only downside to this pack is that a mugger/whatever may go for the pack first, leaving you almost defenseless. JMHO

Badger54
01-13-2013, 13:47
Forgive my ignorance but what is a CBST? I also ride mostly on asphalt.

Cross Bread Super Tuck.

grecco
01-13-2013, 15:20
i do road and single track,
I have carried a Kahr p9 with a FIST Kydex IWB holster #1 clip.
never had an issue.

MSW
01-13-2013, 18:30
I ride with a Camelback "backpack" water carrier.

Not sure of the model but it is "a booksack size" backpack which has a compartment for a camelback water carrier.

I had sewn a cloth thumb break holster onto the part of the back that sits against my back. I wanted a thumb break holster so the pistol would be secure.

Instead of a hip holster, I have more of a "top of my back holster"

I carry a Glock 27 in this set up. The pistol is riding between the pack and my back. At first it was slighly awkward but I got used to it quickly. If I need to draw the pistol I reach over my shoulder and unholster the pistol.

Sounds strange? Sort of but I saw two Secret Service plainclothes folks on bikes with similar set up when George W. was campaigning nearby.

I'm LEO so no big deal if I'm "made" but my backpack is black, the holster is black and the Glock is, well, black in color. Since I usually am riding and not visiting with folks, I've not really had any close up encounters with anyone who might have noticed the pistol.

I took my old (probally 14 year old camelback) to a local shoe store (where the owner is gun friendly) and had the holster sewn in. I bought the holster (Uncle Mike's, I think) at a gun show off a table.

I ride with it fairly often.

The body sweat is tough on the holster ahd the Glock gets damp if the weather is hot.

I've used this set up for about 4 years with no problems or issues.

Is it the best set up ever? Will it work for you? Well, it is for me. I tried a fannie pack and a holster under my loose fitting shirt but didn't like either set up.

countrygun
01-13-2013, 19:01
You aren't trying to carry the mountain bike concealed are you? That is a bit optimistic those things are waaay to big for that.

zukyota
01-13-2013, 19:46
You aren't trying to carry the mountain bike concealed are you? That is a bit optimistic those things are waaay to big for that.

Bored ? :upeyes: Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys.

countrygun
01-13-2013, 22:04
Bored ? :upeyes: Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys.

It was a "sense of humor" test. Need I tell you how you did?

G26AZ
01-13-2013, 22:28
Cross Bread Super Tuck.

I believe that should be "Cross BREED Super Tuck" - unless there is some type of new, edible holster that I haven't seen yet . . . :cool:

LL6
01-14-2013, 05:50
It was a "sense of humor" test. Need I tell you how you did?
Snap out of it! Carrying a Mtn Bike is srs bsns.

:tongueout:

SDGlock23
01-14-2013, 08:10
I have a Camelbak that has a compartment just for a gun, it looks like a fanny pack. It would fit a G27 just fine.

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 10:10
Here in VT I carry my G17 in either a hip or shoulder holster.

Bill Lumberg
01-14-2013, 10:52
AFPS waistpack. Comfortable, stable, and accessible. I have read a couple of threads on bicycling & running while carrying but can't seem to locate what I'm looking for. I ride a mountain bike & I'm only able to carry my North American Arms 22. I would like to be able to carry my Glock 27. Anyone here carry a 26, 27 or pistol in that size category while they ride? I know I can find holsters online for this but I'm looking for actual experience.

SCmasterblaster
01-14-2013, 11:30
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/

emb111
01-15-2013, 15:17
I use a fanny pack to carry a G30, small tactical light, extra mag and a knife. Depending on how long I'm out I may have additional water off the bike in a camelback pack. Camelback makes a fanny pack that you can fit a small gun in the pocket. I'm not aware that they make one specifically for concealed carry. Do they?

Honestly, I'm more concerned with carry options when on the road than on single track. Most of the single tracks in Florida are pretty popular, and I usually don't carry. I firmly believe that unless the gun is on your person some, you are not armed. You do need to give some thought to what will happen if you fall on the gun. It's not really a question of if, only when.

deputy1199
01-16-2013, 20:39
Check out the Wilderness Safepacker which can be worn on a waist belt, strapped across the chest, slung over a shoulder or attached to the frame of the bike.

SCmasterblaster
01-17-2013, 13:19
Check out the Wilderness Safepacker which can be worn on a waist belt, strapped across the chest, slung over a shoulder or attached to the frame of the bike.

I never thought of chest carry . . . . . .

The Fed
01-17-2013, 13:26
Shoulder holster under a button-down shirt. I often wear a t-shirt under a shoulder holster. Top off with a button-down. The t-shirt is so the holster and straps don't chafe.

I also carry in an IWB but it depends how big you are and how big the gun is. As long as it's comfortable and tight it won't fall out. You can always wear a level II holster on a belt and cover with a dark-colored or printed design t-shirt.

G20c
01-19-2013, 21:21
I plan on buying one of these chest packs for mountain biking this summer to carry my G20 as bear defense, they sell a kit to attach it any back pack, so I will connect it to my Camelback:

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/categoryid/9/Default.aspx

SevenSixtyTwo
01-20-2013, 08:01
I ride a Trek Rumblefish and carry my G26 in a Galco concealable belt holster at 4 o'clock. Cut off blue jeans and a loose T shirt. The minor bulge could be a cell phone, tools, camera or whatever but as long is it's not jello mold printing or peeking, no one pays any attention to it. The Rumblefish gets more attention than anything.

MX727
01-20-2013, 09:14
I had sewn a cloth thumb break holster onto the part of the back that sits against my back. I wanted a thumb break holster so the pistol would be secure.

Instead of a hip holster, I have more of a "top of my back holster"

I carry a Glock 27 in this set up. The pistol is riding between the pack and my back. At first it was slighly awkward but I got used to it quickly. If I need to draw the pistol I reach over my shoulder and unholster the pistol.

I took my old (probally 14 year old camelback) to a local shoe store (where the owner is gun friendly) and had the holster sewn in. I bought the holster (Uncle Mike's, I think) at a gun show off a table.

Pictures please. Thanks

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 09:44
Picture of a chest carry would be nice.

4Rules
01-21-2013, 13:01
http://www.thewilderness.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=171&pg=1