New G17 Gen 4 - First time out of the box [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New G17 Gen 4 - First time out of the box

CarolinaPanthers
01-13-2013, 14:45
Just joined the forum, so greetings to all. I know I am not the first to bring this up, but was hoping for some guidance on my issue.

I just bought my first handgun, a G17 Gen 4. I tried a G17 Gen 3 a few weeks ago, loved it, so got one for myself. I had put 100 rounds down range that day without a single brass to face with my friends Gen 3.

Before anyone says its the way I hold it, I will say this. I have put 1000+ rounds through multiple different 9mm type handguns without a single BTF including Glock17.

Today, I shot 250 rounds. A picture of the ammo type is attached. Also, I shot 25 of Blazer Brass 115 grain. In both situations, I'm getting brass to face every 3rd round. Some go left, some straight back. It's literally 1 out of 3 kick straight back.

Also, I had 2 that half-loaded and left the slide jammed halfway in and halfway out.

I need some professional advice (which I know this site has lots of) on if I should contact the seller (gander mountain) and send it in, contact Glock directly, or just keep shooting.

Thanks for the info everyone, I do appreciate it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

slappy white
01-13-2013, 14:47
This issue is well known, call Glock directly tell them whats going on and ask for a prepaid label to send to them and they will fix it. I had to do this to my g4 19 last yr and it is now fixed.

CarolinaPanthers
01-13-2013, 15:01
How do I contact them directly?

striker817
01-13-2013, 17:33
How do I contact them directly?

I'd appreciate this info as well. I'm also a new Glock 17 Gen4 owner, new to the forums as well, and ran into similar problems when I ran my first 300 rounds of WWB through my G17. I probably got pinged about 30 times either in the face, neck, or shoulder.

I'm fairly new to firearms but I've put at least 500 rounds of WWB through my step-dad's XDM and 150 through a loaned G17 Gen 3 and received no BTF or FTE's. I know WWB is hardly optimal ammo and I'll concede it's possible limp wristing could contribute to a few FTEs I experienced with my G17 (I'm going to work on that when I go to the range this week), but my nagging gut feeling is that something is not quite right with the gun itself.

For what it's worth my G17 Gen4 has the 30274 ejector and new style RSA...I'm not sure what style extractor it has though.

In addition to Carolina's question, does anyone know what carrier Glock ships returns like this through? USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc?

Thanks again and kind regards.

AdrianVall
01-13-2013, 19:13
Man.. I hope I don't have this problem with my newly aquired Gen 4 G17. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I head to the range. :)

ignantmike
01-13-2013, 19:22
not likely to happen...but, if sales of gen 4's slumped....glock would fix it once and for all:whistling:

CarolinaPanthers
01-13-2013, 20:24
Thanks for the info. I'm going to contact glock tomorrow.

bac1023
01-13-2013, 20:38
Congrats! :cool:

SiGlockBoy
01-14-2013, 10:07
Good luck. I'm sure they will find a resolution for you. Seems the Gen4s just have some kinks in the various models that still need working out.

I can't say it doesn't happen with the older G17s though as I still have 4 pre '98 models out of the dozens of 17s I've owned and every now and again it will get you in the face or down the shirt. Most Glocks I have exhibit this behaviour every now and again. Low powered target ammo especially. Most of the time just 100fps more in the cartridge makes a difference. Not that you can change that with commercial ammo.

I would expect with defense ammo, you would see the cases eject further away from you. I will also say the more worn in your glock becomes, the better it behaves.

DEADEYEGUY
01-14-2013, 11:13
Ditto on calling Glock.That's what warranties are for. If they can't fix the current gun they will replace it. Usually with a GEN4. Don't spend your nickel. If you get someone who is doesn't seem to want to listen climb up the ladder. You get better responses from some of the folks than others. Again don't bother with changing a bunch of parts yourself. It gets expensive and it may or may not work. good luck.

CarolinaPanthers
01-14-2013, 18:21
Update: glock made sure I have the updated part #s and is sending me a prepaid shipping label. We will see how she comes back from Georgia.

bunk22
01-14-2013, 19:32
That sucks, I love my Gen 4 G17 but if it were pelting me in the face with brass consistently, would not be happy at all.