Can't confirm not deny hopefully not true re: Walmart [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't confirm not deny hopefully not true re: Walmart

spsmith713
01-13-2013, 15:34
Found this article surfing around:

Walmart not ordering anymore ammo?

http://investmentwatchblog.com/breaking-confirmed-wal-mart-is-not-going-to-order-any-more-ammo/

grumpy1
01-13-2013, 15:44
I call total BS.

spsmith713
01-13-2013, 15:44
I call total BS.

I'm hoping so, that's why I made sure to point out I couldn't confirm nor deny the article.

sappy13
01-13-2013, 15:57
I highly doubt they will stop selling ammo. They know that if they don't sell it, someone else will. Why cut profits.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

gLOCK2314
01-13-2013, 16:14
I know Walmart has raised their prices across the board on ammo. I know its how the market works but I really wish all the paranoids would settle down. I've only recently become a gun owner but so far its been a hell of a time finding my gun and now ammo.

spsmith713
01-13-2013, 16:18
I know Walmart has raised their prices across the board on ammo. I know its how the market works but I really wish all the paranoids would settle down. I've only recently become a fun owner but so far it been a he'll of a time finding my gun and now ammo.

Think it will only get worse or continue this way for the foreseeable future unfortunately. Too many people buying 50 boxes at a time, failing to realize they are screwing their own. Oh well, good luck & hope score ammo soon.

lpo
01-13-2013, 16:26
I work at Walmart. As of today, our store has put in multiple orders from manufacturers. They haven't been shipped because there is nothing to ship. Same with the ar-15's and other hot ticket items we have ordered but not received. I have not heard of even the rumor that we are going to stop selling ammo or ar's, unless the law prohibits us from selling it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

spsmith713
01-13-2013, 16:28
I work at Walmart. As of today, our store has put in multiple orders from manufacturers. They haven't been shipped because there is nothing to ship. Same with the ar-15's and other hot ticket items we have ordered but not received. I have not heard of even the rumor that we are going to stop selling ammo or ar's, unless the law prohibits us from selling it.

Thanks for your input

lpo
01-13-2013, 16:31
Our recent orders have taken the bulk buying into account. We're buying more, but displaying less with all new orders. My guess is they want to have more people getting some, rather than a few people getting all simply because each person that comes to buy ammo, might buy other stuff whil they are in there. This is only a guess, not anything confirmed.

DustyJacket
01-13-2013, 16:34
Our recent orders have taken the bulk buying into account. We're buying more, but displaying less with all new orders. My guess is they want to have more people getting some, rather than a few people getting all simply because each person that comes to buy ammo, might buy other stuff whil they are in there. This is only a guess, not anything confirmed.

Good idea.
I am tired of people buying every box of ammo, or box of primers. there is someone on GT boasting he has something like 20,000 primers. And that is why no one else can get them and the pries rise....

I talked to Bill at On target ammo. They would be working overtime, but brass/cases are getting hard to find.

concretefuzzynuts
01-13-2013, 16:41
Walmart is the largest gun and ammo seller in the US. I find it hard to believe they will not sell anything gun related voluntarily. They are in business to make a profit. Shocking!

lpo
01-13-2013, 16:44
Walmart is the largest gun and ammo seller in the US. I find it hard to believe they will not sell anything gun related voluntarily. They are in business to make a profit. Shocking!

The only wild card is this :

Walmart just had a big talkin to with the White House ( if I'm not mistaken). Who in the hell knows what was said or threatened at that little pow-wow.

cowboy1964
01-13-2013, 16:45
I wish people would quit getting their news from blogs. Seriously, people. There's already multiple threads like this and I'm sure there is going to be tons more now.

I hope it's true. Walmart's ammo prices suck anyway. Will be more stock for online sellers.

collim1
01-13-2013, 16:45
I doubt it.

They are probably just not going out of their way at the moment to hunt it down or pay more than normal due to the increased demands.

The two Walmarts near me stock a pretty decent selection of ammo, and have the best prices around. I buy alot of ammo from Walmart.

Ruggles
01-13-2013, 16:51
So the manager at the store he was at this morning called WM home office on the spot and spoke to someone who told her they were not ordering any more ammo nationwide.........

And yet the fact that the country's largest seller of ammo stops ordering it to thus stop selling it, in the middle of a nationwide debate on a possible new AWB that might be introduced with days and this does not make the nation news.....

That manager must have some awesome connections at WM home office. On a Saturday no less when WM home office is basically closed......

Yeah that makes all kinds of sense..... :)

Scott3670
01-13-2013, 16:51
Well all I know is that my local Wal-Mart is out of almost every popular caliber. Sucks trying to find anything around the county here lately.

glock2740
01-13-2013, 16:56
Good idea.
I am tired of people buying every box of ammo, or box of primers. there is someone on GT boasting he has something like 20,000 primers. And that is why no one else can get them and the pries rise....

I talked to Bill at On target ammo. They would be working overtime, but brass/cases are getting hard to find.
I have shooting supplies that I have bought over the last several years. So me saying that I have multiple thousands of anything is not an issue. You have the issue. Get off your ass and go buy things ahead of time and quit biotching about people who had the fore sight that you didn't. :upeyes:

WEATHERBY460
01-13-2013, 17:10
its like this.....walmart is not taking ammo orders...but rather they are alotting so much ammo to each store...thats what the guy told me at walmart when i bought my 223 ammo on thursday

Swipter
01-13-2013, 17:12
This can't go and won't go on forever. Just like everything else, once the rush is done (and regardless of what Washington does) prices will go back down and supplies will go back up once people regain there sanity. It will take a while but it will happen. Just like gas when prices get high people stop buying and price goes down. The public has ultimate control on this matter. If they don't buy at $XX per box then the prices drop accordingly or a sale happens. I think patience is key here.

CajunBass
01-13-2013, 17:14
If, note I said IF Wal-Mart, probably one of if not the largest retail seller of ammo WAS to stop selling ammo, that inventory would simply be available for someone else to sell.

klmmicro
01-13-2013, 17:18
Prices never came down from the last price hike that we seem to have suffered. Liker gasoline, the prices fly through the roof to the order of a $1.50 per gallon and then the relief is 10 cents a gallon.

Eventually the paranoid living room warrior types will either run out of space, money or desire and supply will normalize. The prices will likely remain high just like last time we went through this, but it will be available.

JaPes
01-13-2013, 17:27
I have shooting supplies that I have bought over the last several years. So me saying that I have multiple thousands of anything is not an issue. You have the issue. Get off your ass and go buy things ahead of time and quit biotching about people who had the fore sight that you didn't. :upeyes:

Amen brother.

glockin-45
01-13-2013, 17:30

+1, and at our walmart, the sporting goods guy was putting new price tags on the ammo ( higher, of course ) even on the empty spots, like .223 etc. as of this last friday.

gLOCK2314
01-13-2013, 17:32

Doomsday prepping and hoarding is not foresight. It's over reacting.

glockin-45
01-13-2013, 17:49
I wish people would quit getting their news from blogs. Seriously, people. There's already multiple threads like this and I'm sure there is going to be tons more now.

I hope it's true. Walmart's ammo prices suck anyway. Will be more stock for online sellers.

cowboy- what r u smokin:supergrin: if walmart quites selling ammo (which they won't compleatly) it would be because of new laws, tax breaks, presure, what ever, you get the idea. If that happens, there going after online sales too. Best/worst case is we can still get it, but higher prices. I buy bulk online, but not every one can. I know guy's who pick up a few box's every payday or so to stock up by buying at walmart. As much as people may not like the company. Let's hope they keep selling, what we want!

FireForged
01-13-2013, 17:51
walmart will be where the money is... they will of course, pretend that they have some sort of moral/value compas that closely resembles the pulse of America. If more people are hate'n on assault weapons than not... they will wave that flag.

SDGlock23
01-13-2013, 18:01
Kind of hard to believe that it's everywhere, but possibly in some areas?

http://www.stevequayle.com/index.php?s=33&d=256

truble
01-13-2013, 18:01
Don't know if it is true or not but the woman at the ammo counter at the closest wally to me said wally world was no longer going to sell rifle or pistol ammo. They were out of most everything except shotgun shells.

mrsurfboard
01-13-2013, 18:06
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The way they will go after firearms is through ammo sales. No ammo, guns are useless.
Obama has already meet with and continues to have dialog with Walmart over guns.

http://business.time.com/2013/01/11/walmarts-on-again-off-again-relationship-with-guns/

krunkelton
01-13-2013, 18:42
cowboy- what r u smokin:supergrin: if walmart quites selling ammo (which they won't compleatly) it would be because of new laws, tax breaks, presure, what ever, you get the idea. If that happens, there going after online sales too. Best/worst case is we can still get it, but higher prices. I buy bulk online, but not every one can. I know guy's who pick up a few box's every payday or so to stock up by buying at walmart. As much as people may not like the company. Let's hope they keep selling, what we want!

thats how i get my ammo usually (i dont make alot of extra money), i sold a car before this crazyness and stocked up on ammo but the rest of the time ill swing by walmart and purchase some ammo. so in my case i hope they dont stop selling my local walmart (which is SMALLL) hasnt restocked in about a month except for shotgun ammo it looks like (not even .22).

clancy
01-13-2013, 18:48
I call total BS.

I hope it is. I stopped at my local Walmart this morning. The ammo case was almost empty. i asked an employee that I know, and who has in the past called me when the 250 round WWB .45acp was in, and asked him when they were going to get more ammuntion in. He said what was in the case was it, and they were told to take the case down by the middle of next week and put up a display of fishing poles.

DonD
01-13-2013, 18:50

Walmart just had a big talkin to with the White House ( if I'm not mistaken). Who in the hell knows what was said or threatened at that little pow-wow.

Even for the numbnut in the White House, threatening the world's largest retailer isn't smart politically.

In some communities, WalMart is the only source of firearms and ammo, they'd be doing a grave disservice to their customers if they caved to the foaming at the mouth antis. Don

bigchuck83
01-13-2013, 19:17
all the people worrying walmart is going to stop selling ammo, haha i highly doubt that will happen. Due to the people coming in and buying large amounts at one time don't be surprised when stores decide to impose a limit to how many boxes you can purchase at one time. Me i'm going to trade one pistol for something in .357 magnum or .40 S&W just so i can buy ammo when the 9mm shelf is still empty.

grumpy1
01-13-2013, 19:24
I hope it is. I stopped at my local Walmart this morning. The ammo case was almost empty. i asked an employee that I know, and who has in the past called me when the 250 round WWB .45acp was in, and asked him when they were going to get more ammuntion in. He said what was in the case was it, and they were told to take the case down by the middle of next week and put up a display of fishing poles.

They have done that in more than a few Walmarts around here the last few years in the more liberal suburbs of Chicago, particularly after a major remodel and I suspect it may have been required to get their permits. There are no Walmarts in the Chicagoland area, including suburbs 30 or so miles out that sell firearms that I am aware of.

Sorry to hear that is happening to your Walmart supposedly. Keep us posted. I hope that is not happening chain wide or to a lot more Walmarts.

Sgt127
01-13-2013, 21:07

"Let me tell you boys how this works...our friends in the media, are already spooled up and ready to run with a whole bunch of investigative reports about how many guns you guys (Walmart) have sold over the last ten years that have been involved in some kind of crime...oh sure, they may have been bought, sold traded and stolen since you sold them, but, they were originally shipped to you, thats all folks are going to hear about."

"And, ya know that whole Health care thing? How about a waiver on that..?"

"Maybe a contract so that Walmart becomes the primary vendor at military bases in the US...say, a ten year contract?

"Perhaps some Walmarts on bases?"

"Work with us here guys..."

fnfalman
01-13-2013, 21:44
[QUOTE=Sgt127;19860407"Maybe a contract so that Walmart becomes the primary vendor at military bases in the US...say, a ten year contract?

"Perhaps some Walmarts on bases?"

"Work with us here guys..."[/QUOTE]

You do know that on military bases, there are already the Post Exchange/Base Exchange for department stores and commissaries for grocery?

I mean, really, if you're going to put on the tin foils then at least know a little bit about the topic. One can already buy highly discounted items at PX/BX, Wally World can't compete.

Sgt127
01-13-2013, 22:03
Yup. AAFES. They have snack bars and cafeterias too. And, McDonalds on bases now. And other fast food.

slosh
01-13-2013, 22:04
Lol the px/Bx is overpriced on everything. I never buy stuff from them. It's all over priced. You can get cheaper stuff at amazon and Walmart/target. Yes no tax but they raise the prices of stuff to offset it. Only people who live on base shop on base that I know of. Back in the old days the Bx/px we a good place to buy. But those days are long gone. Also ammo and firearms are more expensive.

NEOH212
01-14-2013, 06:12
It doesn't matter to me either way. I gave up on wally world for ammo. Every time I'd go, they were out of everything except for what people apparently don't ever shoot.

I'll pay a little more at my LGS and at least know they will have it in stock (maybe not right now) when I go.

TheJ
01-14-2013, 06:34
I liked Walmart selling firearms and ammo only because Walmart is sort of ubiquitous these days. However, I almost ne'er shopped Walmart for firearms stuff because I know they are not in any way committed to the cause. At least small LGS have their whole lively hood at stake and so most are committed to the cause in some way (relative to Walmart) and actually believe in the second amendment.

I don't hate Walmart but I would rather spend my firearms related money with folks who I think are on the same page with me when it comes to firearms rights instead of folks who are only looking at margin.

Hetuck
01-14-2013, 12:15
Even for the numbnut in the White House, threatening the world's largest retailer isn't smart politically.

In some communities, WalMart is the only source of firearms and ammo, they'd be doing a grave disservice to their customers if they caved to the foaming at the mouth antis. Don

He doesn't have a second term to worry about winning anymore. He can burn any bridge he pleases.

SGT278ACR
01-14-2013, 12:36
My local Wal-Mart (Dickson, TN) has re-stocked and sold out of ammo ever since Sandy Hook last month. Went in there thursday night to get ammo for the range the next day.... nothing... completely picked over. Stopped in there saturday night at 9:00pm... mostly re-stocked. I picked up a box in all 4 calibers that I use. .40, 9mm, .38 & .22LR all 4 different brands. These days it seems you've got to take what you can get when you can get it. Seems to be hit or miss. I'm just going to get into the habit of checking and picking up a box or two here & there whenever I'm there whether I need it or not.

Rancher
01-14-2013, 12:58
If you use WM for ammo go to their store finder, pick a store or so near you, select what you want and then you will be notified via email soon as it comes in. Pretty simple unless there are a lot of folks doing the same. I did it before and I think as soon as they scan it in you get notified cause I grabbed up a several of the 420 cans they were selling a few months ago and the folks wondered how I knew so soon they had got it in.

Our WM got .223 Federal 100 round value packs in over the weekend along with some 9mm. It was gone today.

Talked with store manager and they have ammo and AR's on order. He had not heard they were gonna quit selling ammo or firearms.

Rancher

boomhower
01-14-2013, 14:07
Mine is still getting ammo in, albeit in small amounts and sporadically of late. They got in eight 100 round boxes of Federal 223 of which one guy bought them all. I bought the only two .40 boxes they got in. They had quite a bit PPU 9mm and 45.

lpo
01-14-2013, 14:14
We got 8 boxes of .22 in this morning. They were there when I got in, went to clock on came back and all 8 were gone.

Ruggles
01-14-2013, 17:44
Not true. Not in SE Texas anyways.

raven11
01-14-2013, 17:49
Yup. AAFES. They have snack bars and cafeterias too. And, McDonalds on bases now. And other fast food.

they been going downhill since they took out the playboys :rofl:

lpo
01-14-2013, 17:54
So, from what I understand, we can no longer manually order fire arms or ammo. The inventory system we use can still automatically order them when it see we are out/running low. This is the plan until Obama makes a final ruling on his gun control measures.

Basically, they don't want stores ordering stockpiles of ammo and guns that they might not be able to sell, just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

Warp
01-14-2013, 17:56
So, from what I understand, we can no longer manually order fire arms or ammo. The inventory system we use can still automatically order them when it see we are out/running low. This is the plan until Obama makes a final ruling on his gun control measures.

Basically, they don't want stores ordering stockpiles of ammo and guns that they might not be able to sell, just sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

My question is...WTF is Obama doing getting involved in Walmart's business like this?

Ruggles
01-14-2013, 17:57

Now that makes sense, same thing WM does on hot items from electronics and toys for example. Don't want one store like you said to over order and have excess stock while a store 4 hours away has no stock because the warehouse is out. The company loses sales if this occurs of course.

concretefuzzynuts
01-14-2013, 17:57
So, from what I understand, we can no longer manually order fire arms or ammo. This is the plan until Obama makes a final ruling on his gun control measures.[/URL]

He is not our king. He cannot force his will past our freedom and our Constitution.

Ruggles
01-14-2013, 18:00
My question is...WTF is Obama doing getting involved in Walmart's business like this?

Nations largest employer, accounts for a large portion of all retail sales nationwide, good barometer of the health of the economy with spending trends, how WM sales go effects many manufactures thus more jobs effected, I am sure Obama wants to push the Union into WM etc....

I can see why he is interested but I agree he needs to keep his nose out in some areas.

lpo
01-14-2013, 18:17
He is not our king. He cannot force his will past our freedom and our Constitution.

Let me clarify. I believe WM is waiting to see if the big O (my god how did we get stuck with this guy) is going to ban or regulate ammo sales, before they let individual stores have the discretion to order on their on free will. I'm sure O made some threats or promises, but I think this is WM being careful about what they have sitting in their warehouses that they aren't legally allowed to sell.

Sorry if I gave anyone the wrong idea.

Warp
01-14-2013, 18:18
Let me clarify. I believe WM is waiting to see if the big O (my god how did we get stuck with this guy) is going to ban or regulate ammo sales, before they let individual stores have the discretion to order on their on free will. I'm sure O made some threats or promises, but I think this is WM being careful about what they have sitting in their warehouses that they aren't legally allowed to sell.

And Obama is just giving them a heads up that potential executive orders will deal with ammunition out of the goodness of his heart?

glock2740
01-14-2013, 18:21
:rofl:Nice try. I'm not a "doomsday prepper" nor a "hoarder". I shoot alot, or did. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used too, which was at least 500-1000 rounds per week. I had the foresight to see this coming. Since you didn't, go cry and call someone else names. :upeyes:

lpo
01-14-2013, 18:22
And Obama is just giving them a heads up that potential executive orders will deal with ammunition out of the goodness of his heart?

Maybe, maybe not. That kind of info is well above my pay grade. Either way, the intimidation factor of this administration, doesn't surprise me at all. God only knows what was said behind closed doors.

ETA: above..... Not below my pay grade.

glock2740
01-14-2013, 18:34
The fact is, he met with WM the other day. And today they publicly announced that they were not ordering anymore new guns or ammo and would sell what was in stock. You can try to make of it what you will. But those are the facts. As of right now, today, WM is NOT ordering new guns or ammo to any of their stores. Will that change? Who knows. Depends on what little joey and his gang of merry idiots present to the supreme leader tomorrow. And how the little king decides to rule on their "findings".

Ruggles
01-14-2013, 18:44
The fact is, he met with WM the other day. And today they publicly announced that they were not ordering anymore new guns or ammo and would sell what was in stock. You can try to make of it what you will. But those are the facts. As of right now, today, WM is NOT ordering new guns or ammo to any of their stores. Will that change? Who knows. Depends on what little joey and his gang of merry idiots present to the supreme leader tomorrow. And how the little king decides to rule on their "findings".

Where did they (WM) announce this? Not on any of the news sites not even Druge. Seems to me if true it would be everywhere :dunno:

Anybody have a link to a reputable news source?

garya1961
01-14-2013, 19:23
If you wake up in the morning and panic buying hits the grocery stores the same way it hit the gun market would you call it over reacting to be prepared. It's only over reacting if nothing ever happens. If something does go down then it's being prepared.

GIG4FUN
01-14-2013, 19:24

A friend who works gun dept. at Walmart told me last night that there was nothing in their warehouse to put on the shelves. No intentions of NOT selling, they just don't have many high demend items right now.

concretefuzzynuts
01-14-2013, 19:47
Sorry if I gave anyone the wrong idea./URL]

No, I understood your position. I'm saying king O doesn't have the authority he wants.

glock2740
01-14-2013, 20:04
Where did they (WM) announce this? Not on any of the news sites not even Druge. Seems to me if true it would be everywhere :dunno:

Anybody have a link to a reputable news source?

You can search and find dozens of articles on it. I first heard about on Rush's show. Did some googling and found many stories from many sources. If it's not true, then Wal-Mart stores should have more ammo on the shelves soon. I went to 3 WM's today and they were empty except for some rifle hunting rounds. And those were pretty slim. Here's a link. Take it for what it's worth I guess. But when I asked the people working the gun sales counter at 3 different WM's today, they all said the same thing. It's easy for them tell what's on order with their little computer thingy that tells whats on order and how much is coming. Ammo was ZERO. Plus, I really doubt Wm is going to announce this publically, due to alot of people declaring boycott. I think they will see what happens this week and go from there.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/breaking-confirmed-wal-mart-is-not-going-to-order-any-more-ammo/#Uq7p2t1TTVqA0hMh.99

Ruggles
01-14-2013, 20:21
You can search and find dozens of articles on it. I first heard about on Rush's show. Did some googling and found many stories from many sources. If it's not true, then Wal-Mart stores should have more ammo on the shelves soon. I went to 3 WM's today and they were empty except for some rifle hunting rounds. And those were pretty slim. Here's a link. Take it for what it's worth I guess. But when I asked the people working the gun sales counter at 3 different WM's today, they all said the same thing. It's easy for them tell what's on order with their little computer thingy that tells whats on order and how much is coming. Ammo was ZERO. Plus, I really doubt Wm is going to announce this publically, due to alot of people declaring boycott. I think they will see what happens this week and go from there.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/breaking-confirmed-wal-mart-is-not-going-to-order-any-more-ammo/#Uq7p2t1TTVqA0hMh.99

I can say that if it is occurring nobody at the stores knows anything about it. Or the level above the stores. Wal-Marts are broken up into "Markets" of between 8-10 stores, then "Regions" of 90-120 stores and so on.

Like I posted earlier both ammo and guns arrived locally at WM today :) Guns comes UPS while ammo comes on the normal WM trucks.

I think the lack of anything showing "on order" is kinda like why many places are not taking back orders of ammo online. The supply chain is in a freaking mess. Some placing which are taking back orders are showing expected dates of June. Heck Silver State Armory sent me an email saying they don't know when they will be back in stock and they load their own.

I hope WM does not make this move but as of right now I have seen nothing to indicate they are. Just seems to me in the middle of the most debated firearm issue in recent memory the major news sources would be all over a story that the country's largest seller of ammo would be stopping sells of it. :dunno:

The fact that they are not tells me it is a bogus story at this point.

crazymoose
01-14-2013, 20:26
http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/walmart-responds-to-suspended-ammo-story/

Ruggles
01-14-2013, 20:44
http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/walmart-responds-to-suspended-ammo-story/

Seems to be the most reputable link yet. :wavey:

SJ 40
01-14-2013, 21:50

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)I believe WM is waiting to see if the big O (my god how did we get stuck with this guy)
With a enough payola anything is possible and he is King Obozo when it comes to payola!

Wouldn't surprise me if he made WM some sweet heart deal on Obozocare to see it his way. SJ 40

glock2740
01-14-2013, 21:58
I believe WM is waiting to see if the big O (my god how did we get stuck with this guy)
With a enough payola anything is possible and he is King Obozo when it comes to payola!

Wouldn't surprise me if he made WM some sweet heart deal on Obozocare to see it his way. SJ 40
Ditto. I guess we'll all find out what obiden and his band of merry fools' 19 recommendations to the supreme ruler are soon enough.

unit1069
01-15-2013, 00:11
Wal-Mart's entire existence came about because it started as a small town outlet and grew from there. Can you imagine how many millions of customers the franchise will lose if it caves into Obama-Holder demands to toe the neo-Stalinist line on guns/ammo sales?

Wal-Mart, if you're even thinking about compromise with the Radical Left then America has already lost the war against tyranny. The day Wal-Mart stabs their loyal customers in the back is the day WMT stock begins falling off the cliff.

Warp
01-15-2013, 02:30
Wal-Mart's entire existence came about because it started as a small town outlet and grew from there. Can you imagine how many millions of customers the franchise will lose if it caves into Obama-Holder demands to toe the neo-Stalinist line on guns/ammo sales?

Wal-Mart, if you're even thinking about compromise with the Radical Left then America has already lost the war against tyranny. The day Wal-Mart stabs their loyal customers in the back is the day WMT stock begins falling off the cliff.

Not as many as you seem to think. Walmart is first and foremost a price leader. As long as they keep using their tremendous size and buying power + low cost methods they will fill their stores with people to buy their stuff.

Just my opinion/guess

IndyGunFreak
01-15-2013, 03:04
I know Walmart has raised their prices across the board on ammo. I know its how the market works but I really wish all the paranoids would settle down. I've only recently become a gun owner but so far its been a hell of a time finding my gun and now ammo.

Learn to reload

00Glazz
01-15-2013, 05:07
Yea walmart has unfortunatley been out of stock of all 9mm in my area for about 3 weeks now. They have said they are ordering more though so nbd. I usually buy from any of the 4 local gun shops depending on ammo price/make so it really doesnt matter.

Ruggles
01-15-2013, 08:18
Checked (saw the computer screens) myself this morning. Five types of 5.56/233 ammo checked and all on order, but out at warehouse currently. Two types of ARs checked and both on order. So the myth about WM stores not being able to order ammo or guns is 100% false. Bless the Internet, it can cause such a commotion over false info :)

Beanie-Bean
01-15-2013, 08:55
Ruggles,

I appreciate the time and effort you've put forth to help validate/verify some of the claims which have been made as of late.

I load my own ammo, but always make it a point to grab a box or two (especially if the prices are right!) from WM.

Thanks again--your efforts don't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

-Mike

redbaron007
01-15-2013, 09:21
First, there is no new Federal Firearms Act; only speculation of one. There are politicians who are filing bills for more gun/ammo control, but they are long from being 'law'. So, I call BS on this blog report.

In addition, there are WMs who don't sell any firearms or ammo. :upeyes:

:wavey:

red

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 09:23
The guns/ammo business for Wal-Mart isn't that big. They've curtailed gun sales before when they thought that the political climates wouldn't do them any good. That said, I don't blame them. They're a department/grocery store chain and not a gun shop chain.

Ruggles
01-15-2013, 10:47
[QUOTE=Beanie-Bean;19866466]Ruggles,

I appreciate the time and effort you've put forth to help validate/verify some of the claims which have been made as of late.

I load my own ammo, but always make it a point to grab a box or two (especially if the prices are right!) from WM.

Thanks again--your efforts don't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Thanks. I have my beefs with WM as well as other companies but I don't like when purely false info is used to attack either people or companies. I have no ideal what the future holds as far as WM and ammo/firearms go. I just know right now and the near future holds no changes for the way WM deals with ammo and guns.

Warp
01-15-2013, 11:49
The guns/ammo business for Wal-Mart isn't that big. They've curtailed gun sales before when they thought that the political climates wouldn't do them any good. That said, I don't blame them. They're a department/grocery store chain and not a gun shop chain.

I don't suppose you have numbers to support this opinion?

Ruggles
01-15-2013, 12:20
Guns were removed as well as SKU variety in 90% of the different departments, the stack bases features in the alleys of the stores, the feature end caps in many cases etc. this was a effort to streamline logistics and open the store to more space for the customers. It was in essence Target.

Huge bust for the company, those pushing it (John Flemming and Edruado Castro Wright being the main ones) are long gone from WM. The company had to go back into stores and more or less remodel them to bring back SKU variety, including guns in some stores. The removal of guns was tied into this bigger merchandising move and not into political considerations. This all occurred 3-4 years ago. It was a bad business move that hurt the company, but not one based in politics.

Ruggles
01-15-2013, 12:27

All of sporting goods (including ammo and firearms) in a typical WM store is around 1.5% of total store sales. Keep in mind that is still over $100,000 per month which of course spikes in summer and holidays. But honestly firearms sales and ammo sales are not a huge piece of the overall $ picture. Of course as a open stop shop destination they are to customers :)

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 12:39

How many people buying guns and ammo in Wally World versus buying the rest of their stuff?

They did away with their handgun sales. Then they did away with special orders (I ordered two Sako rifles through them back in the days). What does that tell you about firearms business for Wally World?

redbaron007
01-15-2013, 14:08
All of sporting goods (including ammo and firearms) in a typical WM store is around 1.5% of total store sales. Keep in mind that is still over $100,000 per month which of course spikes in summer and holidays. But honestly firearms sales and ammo sales are not a huge piece of the overall $ picture. Of course as a open stop shop destination they are to customers :)

It may not be a huge contributor to the sales; but, how many of those customers are buying other items, how much impulse buying and how much are folks coming in to buy other items pick up another box of shells? There is a compounding effect there.

How many people buying guns and ammo in Wally World versus buying the rest of their stuff?

They did away with their handgun sales. Then they did away with special orders (I ordered two Sako rifles through them back in the days). What does that tell you about firearms business for Wally World?

My WM around here allows ordering from 'their' catalog, for long guns they don't regularly stock. Is that a special order you are describing? I had planned on buying my son a Henry 22LR for Christmas but decided on something else to get him. But they didn't 'carry' that gun in the store but could order it.

red

garya1961
01-15-2013, 16:09
I talked to a manager I know personally at a WM I use to work at today. She said they wouldn't be getting any ammo for the next 2 - 3 months. It's not they aren't trying it's just the supply has run out.

Ruggles
01-15-2013, 16:30
It may not be a huge contributor to the sales; but, how many of those customers are buying other items, how much impulse buying and how much are folks coming in to buy other items pick up another box of shells? There is a compounding effect there.

No doubt. That what I was referring too when I said it was important to the one shop stop customer regardless of specific $ sales of these items :)

lpo
01-15-2013, 17:18

My WM around here allows ordering from 'their' catalog, for long guns they don't regularly stock. Is that a special order you are describing? I had planned on buying my son a Henry 22LR for Christmas but decided on something else to get him. But they didn't 'carry' that gun in the store but could order it.

red

The majority of the time I see people buying ammo first, they usually pickup a few other things while they are there. This includes the ones "panic buying" lately. They'll grab the last few boxes of x- caliber and then pick up their milk or bread while they are there. Your assessment is right on. Luckily, I have a manager that understands that.

DJ Niner
01-16-2013, 00:02
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-williams-jr/walmart-we-havent-made-any-changes-ammo-order-policy-we-continue-offer

gooffeyguy
01-16-2013, 00:24
This is all false. My wife runs a WM store and she checked today after I told her about this last night.

Oh, and someone said above that they did away with special orders? Not at my wife's store. Before all this craziness started last month you could go into her store and special order just about any rifle or shotgun you could think of. They have a big catalog to use to look them up in.

DJ Niner
01-16-2013, 23:45
Double-tap, liked the second one better...

DJ Niner
01-16-2013, 23:45
New info from Walmart:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1465135

ca survivor
01-17-2013, 07:19
my two local Wal-Mart, never had guns or ammo for sale.