Springfield XD .40 reliability [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD .40 reliability

Andy W
01-13-2013, 16:00
I recently read a post on another site where a certain firearms trainer mentioned that Springfield XD .40s don't run very well when you are putting a lot of rounds through them such as when taking a pistol class or maybe competition. Is there any truth to this at all? I kinda have doubts about his credibility. So anybody wit an XD .40 feel free to chime in.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

countrygun
01-13-2013, 16:22
Nice timing. I have had an XDm .45 for almost 2 years now and it's been great but my wife came home last week with an XDs .45 and a .40 XD tactical(used) from the amount of wear I would say the .40 had been shot a fair amount. I took it out yesterday and had a fine time with it. A fun platform for the .40 rd.

IMHO there is no reason at all that the .40 models should be problematic specifically. A lot of rumors fly on the internet but if you have critical reading skills and sort out the 'My cousins, brother-in-laws, neighbors gardener said that he heard....." stuff you find a lot of reasons to be skeptical.

Andy W
01-13-2013, 16:33
Nice timing. I have had an XDm .45 for almost 2 years now and it's been great but my wife came home last week with an XDs .45 and a .40 XD tactical(used) from the amount of wear I would say the .40 had been shot a fair amount. I took it out yesterday and had a fine time with it. A fun platform for the .40 rd.

IMHO there is no reason at all that the .40 models should be problematic specifically. A lot of rumors fly on the internet but if you have critical reading skills and sort out the 'My cousins, brother-in-laws, neighbors gardener said that he heard....." stuff you find a lot of reasons to be skeptical.

That's why I'm asking. The guy that said it is known to have a bias against a.) Springfield XDs and b.) the .40 S&W cartridge. So I could see him embellishing problems with them in his classes. Also, this is the same guy that got his CHP revokes last week for threatening to start killing people, not to mention his practice of putting camera men down range during shooting drills.

TSAX
01-13-2013, 17:53
Been shooting the XD40 since 03, round count around 10k. Shoot great, I like it better than the XDM 40. Only issue was it took a little bite to break in. No issues. Every gun has/can have a bad batch/defective one. Maybe the one he saw was that or someone who didnt know what they were doing and F-ed it up. Sometimes people do things to guns that screw up reliability. Who knows. If you check the XD forum there are many happy people with XD40's.

My story with the gun is full of drama. I sold my original to my friend who loved it. Bought 2 more but had to sell later because of finances. :steamed:, I miss that gun.

:50cal:

Beretta92guy
01-13-2013, 19:30
the XD40 service is my CCW gun.....

over 1K rounds now, zero failures, eats everything....

obligatory pic in its new holster :)

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/bruce21b/photo3.jpg

Brownie65
01-13-2013, 19:49
I have owned an XD40 service since last April. It has shot everything that I load into it. There really wasn't a break in period. I have about 2200 rounds through it without fault.

———You can't always get what you want, but if you try you get what you need.

rilkil23
01-13-2013, 21:26
Sold my XD40 sc to a friend. I'm trying to buy it back but no luck so far. Never a problem in the year I owned it, maybe 500 rounds fired.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Dogbite
01-13-2013, 21:41
I have shot the heck out of an XD service model in 40, it was a wonderful shooter. Not one problem.

G26S239
01-13-2013, 21:52
I had an XD45 Tactical that I got rid of. It was reliable and accurate but by the time I got it I was very used to my G21 and HK USP 45f. The XD's are well built with a heavy duty locking block providing heavy thick steel rails for the slide to ride on. Ask the people here http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ There are a lot of experienced people there to discuss XDs with.

Stang_Man
01-13-2013, 21:57
I've had my XD-40 for 6 years now. Countless rounds and zero issues, it was my first handgun.

Andy W
01-13-2013, 22:28
Good to hear many of you have functioning XD .40s. The claim that XDs don't work was made by, you guessed it.......James Yeager in one of his videos. Imagine that. The guy doesn't like XDs and he doesn't like the .40 S&W cartridge so it would be very convenient for him to claim all the XD .40s he sees in his classes run like ****. The guy also still claims you can buy a Glock 19 and it will run correctly out of the box every time.

Just for fun ****s and giggles, I ran over GATE and shot Mas Ayoob a quick question about this. He says he sees lots of XDs and XDms in his MAG classes and they really haven't seen any probems with them. Imagine that! Who's word is more reliable here, Mas Ayoob, or James Yeager? I think I know who I'm gonna believe.

NEVRL8T
01-18-2013, 17:56
I bought my wife and XD-9 last week and myself an XD-40 yesterday. I put 100 rounds through it last night and it shoots straighter than my Glock 21SF I bought new this past November. I think this is going to be my carry weapon now.

Andy W
01-18-2013, 19:20
Looks like they may run into some trouble if they are run bone dry. Saw a video from Nutnfancy where they had an XD(m) 9mm which was bone dry and had a few malfunctions. Not a surprise though. Those large slide rails provide a lot more surface area contact than on a Glock or M&P-which means more friction- so it will need a little lube to run optimally. Not a problem. Just remember to put a drop of oil on the rails every once in a while and it should be good.

bac1023
01-19-2013, 07:48
I feel XDs in any caliber are among the most reliable pistols built today.

Bob Hafler
01-19-2013, 09:05
I never owned an XD40 but I did own a XD9sc for a while. It was a very well balanced,well built, reliable pistol.
Oh and for the record. People like James Yeager who feel the need to bad mouth one brand of pistol to make there carry choice sound so superior to anything else are nothing more than Classless Clowns who need to get over themselves.

Andy W
01-19-2013, 12:07
I never owned an XD40 but I did own a XD9sc for a while. It was a very well balanced,well built, reliable pistol.
Oh and for the record. People like James Yeager who feel the need to bad mouth one brand of pistol to make there carry choice sound so superior to anything else are nothing more than Classless Clowns who need to get over themselves.

Yeah he's a bit of an asshat. I think his main reason for not liking the XD platform is the grip safety, which he feels you may not depress properly under stress. Of course that tells me he's never even shot or handled an XD. The way it's designed, there's no way you aren't going to depress it with anything even remotely resembling a proper firing grip.

He also mentions in one of his videos, possbilty his 1911s suck video, that back in the day, anyone who carried a 1911 for serious purposes had the grip safety pinned down or otherwise disabled. Is this true at all?

Bob Hafler
01-19-2013, 12:45
Yeah he's a bit of an asshat. I think his main reason for not liking the XD platform is the grip safety, which he feels you may not depress properly under stress. Of course that tells me he's never even shot or handled an XD. The way it's designed, there's no way you aren't going to depress it with anything even remotely resembling a proper firing grip.

He also mentions in one of his videos, possbilty his 1911s suck video, that back in the day, anyone who carried a 1911 for serious purposes had the grip safety pinned down or otherwise disabled. Is this true at all?

Sounds to me like he's trying to make himself (it is all about him you know)sound important by grabbing for problems that do not exist. Plus I really do not think he's old enough to be speaking first hand about 1911's back in the day. :rofl: Typical BS coming out of JY mouth to impress the gun ownwers who don't know any better.

countrygun
01-19-2013, 12:46

You re right about the XD grip safety. I couldn't find a position I would fire it from that didn't depress the safety. Maybe he can't keep a good grip on it when he is running from a fire fight......:whistling:

Yes pinning the grip safety was considered, in some circles, "essential". not in mine, but in some. That was eliminate largely when everyone shifted back to the flat mainspring housing and then the "memory bumps' came along and now, no one with any sense does it.

Andy W
01-19-2013, 15:41
I feel XDs in any caliber are among the most reliable pistols built today.

More so than Glock or Sig?

Andy W
01-19-2013, 15:43

Do you think the XD platform handles the .40 S&W cartridge better than Glocks?

countrygun
01-19-2013, 16:40
Do you think the XD platform handles the .40 S&W cartridge better than Glocks?

The Springfield shoots better for me and I think the Springfield is a tad more robust and that they had the .40 in mind while the Glock was designed as a 9mm platform. It may be just me but looking at the Glock you can see that it really hasn't been "beefed up from the 9mm that much and look at the Springfield slide and the step above the rail they still had more room to grow if the felt they needed to.
granted the 9mm and .40 operate in the same pressure envelope but the .40 is moving more mass.

As far as recoil,It's hard to directly compare since my Glock is a compensated model and the XD is a tactical 5" but I am prejudice or as I like to say "unprejudice' because I am an old 1911 shooter so a higher, slightly, center of mass doesn't bother me.

walkin man 2
01-20-2013, 10:01
[

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'll go along with your perception of Chuck Y.
As for the statement about pinning the grip safety of the 1911's, no freakin way. And I am one of the old guys he's talkin about. I carried a 1911 in the service and I carry one now as an officer and would never pin a grip safety. I carried a glock for a number of years at a dept that required me to carry one on duty and still have a safe full as well as several Springfield xd's. But now with this dept I strap on a kimber full size light weight 1911 daily for a duty gun. The g27 is in my pocket for backup though.
walkin man