With hi-cap being all the rage, how come I can't find a Shield? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : With hi-cap being all the rage, how come I can't find a Shield?

glock2740
01-13-2013, 18:13
I've been looking for one of these ever since they were announced. I'd also like to check out the XDs .45 too. But think I'd most likely buy the first Shield 9mm I come across, unless some A-hole has it jacked up price wise. I'm no fool and know what they are "worth" and won't pay any more than what they ARE worth. But damn they're hard to find. At least in my neck of the woods.

CarryTexas
01-13-2013, 18:27
Currently supplies are very limited and sellers are having no problem getting $600 for a new or like new Shield. Sure, the MSRP is around $450, but that's if you can find it.

If you want one in the near future, be prepared to pay $600+.

It's all about supply and demand...

High Altitude
01-13-2013, 18:28
More people want to buy them, than S&W can make.

S&W is back ordered about 40,000 shields.

Kloogee
01-13-2013, 18:31
I've been casually looking for one for months before the chaos. Unfortunately they are just a popular gun they can't make fast enough for the demand.

Chowser
01-13-2013, 18:37
scarce around here as well. I bought my 9mm Shield back in October. A coworker just bought one, never shot it (i let him shoot mine) and decided to get a .40 Shield instead and the store wouldn't take back or give him an even trade on his 9mm. Now he's trying to sell his 9mm Shield locally and has no takers which is shocking!

AtlantaR6
01-13-2013, 18:47
scarce around here as well. I bought my 9mm Shield back in October. A coworker just bought one, never shot it (i let him shoot mine) and decided to get a .40 Shield instead and the store wouldn't take back or give him an even trade on his 9mm. Now he's trying to sell his 9mm Shield locally and has no takers which is shocking!

Where u at? Anywhere near Atlanta?

FireForged
01-13-2013, 18:56
Currently supplies are very limited and sellers are having no problem getting $600 for a new or like new Shield. Sure, the MSRP is around $450, but that's if you can find it.

If you want one in the near future, be prepared to pay $600+.

It's all about supply and demand...

What in the world are you guys talking about? Who is selling shields for $600? Every guns shop in town get about one a week and none above $435. I have not seen a single ad anywhere on the net that boasts more than $435-450.

Trey83
01-13-2013, 19:07
What in the world are you guys talking about? Who is selling shields for $600? Every guns shop in town get about one a week and none above $435. I have not seen a single ad anywhere on the net that boasts more than $435-450.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325482607

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324794545

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995772206/Smith_Wesson_M_P9_Shield_Black_Melonite_Finish_Polymer_Frame_SKU_180021.htm

I haven't seen one local since they first came out. Can you show me one on-line under $500?

awpk03s
01-13-2013, 19:33
I have never seen one in person. My brother in law wants one bad, but they just aren't to be had.

Beanie-Bean
01-13-2013, 19:44
Got mine last April from Davidson's for $377. Haven't really shot it a lot because magazines were not widely available, but like it enough to keep it in my carry rotation. I was actually waiting for the XD-S to be released, and between the two, I actually prefer the XD-S. I'll unload the Shield when SA releases the 9x19 XD-S model.

collim1
01-13-2013, 19:44
Its very popular and its new so production is probably slower. I doubt it has anything to do with the hysteria.

If I didn't already have a P239 I'd be all over the shield, though not a fan of the manual safety.

Badger54
01-13-2013, 19:47
I have never seen one in person. My brother in law wants one bad, but they just aren't to be had.

It's the same here. My job takes me all over the western half of the state. I've been hitting gun stores everywhere I go and I've still yet to see one in person.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

CarryTexas
01-13-2013, 19:52
I called around to all the LGS looked online and the only place they can be readily had is GB.

I just got one in the GT classified. I paid a premium, but got a better deal than I would have got from GB.

This one is for my wife, but I think I will be getting one for me when supply catches up with demand.

High Altitude
01-13-2013, 19:53
I think the Shield has been the only new gun that was easier to purchase when they first came out.

I bought one within days of its release and just about every shop in down had a couple.

Bruce M
01-13-2013, 19:58
I believe that Smith and Wesson produces different pistols in batches and that few (if any) are in constant production. When I was looking for one of their 1911's the salesman at the gunstore said he called his rep and they said production for the one I was looking for wasn't scheduled for production for six months or so. My guess is that the Shield has ended up being more popular than they thought and was not scheduled in the production runs for nearly as many as they apparently could sell.

Kloogee
01-13-2013, 20:01

Lucky you! I've called all the major gun stores in our metro area and they all say they have a waiting list so long that it isn't even worthwhile to add any more to the list as they'll never get enough to fill the list they already have.

Kalmah
01-13-2013, 20:41
How about a Kahr P9 or CW9?

bac1023
01-13-2013, 21:25
I haven't seen Shields around here either.

03scgt
01-13-2013, 21:43
Tons of them around Florida.they have 4 or 5 sitting at the fort Myers shootstraight for 445$

CarryTexas
01-13-2013, 22:05
Tons of them around Florida.they have 4 or 5 sitting at the fort Myers shootstraight for 445$

Sounds like easy money to me.

JBUS
01-13-2013, 23:03
I was able to get one a few months ago from my LGS.

I was all about it but I found myself still carrying my Gen4 19 or my 36.

After 350 rounds through it, I'm selling it.

I'll stick to my Glocks.

steve1911
01-14-2013, 02:21
I had one allocated in november, 9mm shield came in last tuesday.

1911club#410

Scrappy
01-14-2013, 07:00
Once they make one without the little thumb safety I will be interested.

TheJ
01-14-2013, 07:13
The rumor I heard was S&W gave federal LE agencies first dibs on them for bug. So the newer ones are going there first. That sound believable as in normal times it would be a good marketing move. I can see them at some point advertising how many Fed LEOs use the shield in Ads.

byf43
01-14-2013, 08:30
I picked up a .40 Shield in early December.

The thumb safety is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.
The thumb safety 'latch' is very small and it takes a deliberate 'push' to engage it.
Don't want to use it. . . . don't engage it.

The .40 S&W round is NOT 'bad' with the Shield.
I put 50 rounds of Federal 165 gr HST through this pistol, and another 50 rounds of WWB 165 gr FMJ, plus some UMC 165 gr JHP, on January 6th, down at the farm.
Accuracy at 10 yards was very respectable, for such a small pistol.
At 10 yards, where the top of the front sight meets the target, that's where the 'boolits' go.
No need for a true 6 o'clock hold. (At least in my experience.)
Where the front sight is. . . . there's where the holes are made.

Holsters and magazines are scarce, right now.
I've got some magazines on backorder, through Cabela's.

One thing I did discover, regarding holsters. There aren't many different types/styles available.
S&W suggests the Galco "Stinger" OWB holster, on their website.
I ordered (and received) mine from Cabela's.

When I was putting the Shield in my nightstand, I pulled out a couple of holsters that I use w/ my G26.
Just for 'kicks and grins', I compared the G26 to the Shield, and tried the G26's holsters.
The Shield fits PERFECTLY in the Don Hume "JIT Slide" and the 715 IWB holster, and in the Bianchi "Remedy" OWB holster!!

I put the unloaded Shield in each holster and held it "upside down" over the bed and shook the holster.
At no time, did the pistol come out of the G26 holsters!

fnfalman
01-14-2013, 09:00
For what it's worth, there are hardly any Ruger LCP or LC9 running around as well. I haven't even seen a Beretta Nano either. I think that people have been buying subcompacts like crazy too.

crnama
01-15-2013, 08:47
They were very hard to find around here too. A few months ago our dealer had S&W day and they had plenty of them in 9mm for $399, but I did not want to stand in line for hours to get one. I stopped by the other day and they have 5 or 6 in 9mm for $529 each. I nearly fell in the floor when he told me the cost, but I knew they would likely sell all of them that day.

I ended up buying one from him for $510, more than I wanted to spend but I have one now.

Diesel McBadass
01-15-2013, 09:20
shields are like the ruger 1911, rare enough to make me doubt they were ever released lol

deputy tom
01-15-2013, 16:35
I've been looking into buying a XDs or Shield for a while and can't seem to be in the right place at the right time to get either. Usually a day late or so. I was at a gunshow three days ago and they had one Nano,One LC9, a few LCRs and several Kahr pistols. Looks like I'll be waiting a while longer. tom.:dunno:

byf43
01-15-2013, 18:03
deputy tom -

PM inbound!

TheJ
01-15-2013, 18:24
I'm very interested in the XDs 9 coming it soon. Curious how it will stack up against the shield.

http://youtu.be/5rqsK78EzkY

Andy W
01-15-2013, 18:26
My local dealer had a Shield .40 in his store a few weeks ago. Also got a 9mm Shield in the order with that one but it sold almost instantly and I never saw it. Looked at the .40 and loved it. I have pretty small hand and it feels great. Didn't want it in .40 though.

And for you guys *****ing about the safety, I feel you but it really doesn't get in the way if you choose not to use it.

glock2740
01-15-2013, 19:02
I'm very interested in the XDs 9 coming it soon. Curious how it will stack up against the shield.

http://youtu.be/5rqsK78EzkY
Now that the XDs9 will "be available" soon, I'll wait to see what it's about too. Although I've yet to see an XDs45, which I'm sure won't be nearly as popular as the XDs9, so I may not see one of those anytime soon either. Oh well.:dunno:I have plenty of Glocks, 1911s and other carry guns, so it really doesn't matter too much. But I would like to check one out.

FireForged
01-15-2013, 23:20
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325482607

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324794545

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995772206/Smith_Wesson_M_P9_Shield_Black_Melonite_Finish_Polymer_Frame_SKU_180021.htm

I haven't seen one local since they first came out. Can you show me one on-line under $500?

oh, you mean on a auction site? I thought you guys are talking retail.

Andy W
01-16-2013, 00:00
Now that the XDs9 will "be available" soon, I'll wait to see what it's about too. Although I've yet to see an XDs45, which I'm sure won't be nearly as popular as the XDs9, so I may not see one of those anytime soon either. Oh well.:dunno:I have plenty of Glocks, 1911s and other carry guns, so it really doesn't matter too much. But I would like to check one out.

I had the same thought. Why would they release the XDs45 first when far more people wanting a gun that size prefer it to be 9mm. I'm sure the XDs .45 has sold well but I bet the 9mm would have sold even better than that. Maybe they wanted to be different.

ScottieG59
01-16-2013, 07:54
I have seen the Shield in Kansas City. A lot of people were buying them. To me, it was too big for pocket carry and gave no advantage for IWB carry. I prefer the Kahr PM9 as a pocket 9 and the Glock 27 or 10 for IWB.

hsprincipal
01-16-2013, 08:14
Try a Walther PPS.... Until you can find a Shield.... That's what I did...

mist
01-16-2013, 14:21
Called around the State of Florida on Sunday and found five of them at a shop in Apopka selling for $449. I'm about four hours away and inquired about shipping which was $30. I ended up buying a Gen 4 26 from a LGS instead.

Andy W
01-16-2013, 15:18
I have seen the Shield in Kansas City. A lot of people were buying them. To me, it was too big for pocket carry and gave no advantage for IWB carry. I prefer the Kahr PM9 as a pocket 9 and the Glock 27 or 10 for IWB.

I disagree. The Shield is much thinner than any Glock and from what I've seen, the fit and finish is better than on a Kahr.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CarryTexas
01-16-2013, 15:40
I think someone really wants a Shield!

Gun Broker (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325721258)

fastbolt
01-17-2013, 14:54
S&W tried to predict the popularity of the little Shield 9, producing an inventory of several thousand prior to the announcement and release.

Unfortunately, I think even they didn't realize the popularity and huge demand that would result.

I called back to get a price for buying one under the armorer purchase program (firearms shipped from factory inventory to the designated LE distributor or FFL dealer), and I was told that while my order would be processed when the forms were received, it would be at least 2 months before a unit would be available to fill the order due to the constant demand for the gun.

Now, with NY state's new law about a maximum 7-rd mag capacity for new mags, I wouldn't be surprised if the 7-rd Shield 9 and the 6 & 7rd Shield 40 might not become even more in demand by NY state residents who suddenly want to buy new guns.

Guess I might as well send in my order in the near future and sit back and wait. As much as I really like my 3913, CS9, G26's (pair) & SW999c, the Shield 9 I used for an afternoon was a surprisingly great fit for my hand, exhibited a noticeably nice service-grade trigger and very good practical accuracy. Lighter, well-balanced, handier and generally 'more lively' in my hand than my 3913. It oughta' easily replace even my CS9 for use as a smaller retirement CCW, and be just enough slimmer, overall, than my little double stack 9's. ;)

Same thing happened when I ordered my M&P 40c 4 years ago. There was almost a 4 month backlog on orders for the M&P compacts, and in order to avoid waiting even longer for the particular model variant I'd ordered, I was told I could take one from a current production run (of a different variant, having night sights and no mag safety) ... or, I could wait at least another couple of months. That took all of a couple of seconds to decide. ;)

CarryTexas
01-17-2013, 15:08
Now, with NY state's new law about a maximum 7-rd mag capacity for new mags, I wouldn't be surprised if the 7-rd Shield 9 and the 6 & 7rd Shield 40 might not become even more in demand by NY state residents who suddenly want to buy new guns.

Looks like you're right! I have been tracking Shield prices on GunBroker for the last few weeks. They were selling for around $600-$650 on average. Now people are getting over $700!!!

The one I linked above went for $1,225!!! :wow: