Gun locks. Reliable in your experience? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun locks. Reliable in your experience?

Gray_Rider
01-13-2013, 22:55
A few years ago, I purchased SW 642 with the factory lock. It has been flawless, and has a butter soft trigger action and I have had no problems with the lock.

As I have seen some very negative reactions to buying a SW with a locking mec. :whistling: I was wondering what the experience of everyone was with them. Evan Marshall on his web site said an average owner should expect zero problems, but I see there's even a YouTube video on removing said lock due to possible malfunction.

If you own or have owned a locking SW revolver, what has been your experience pertaining to reliability?
Again, I have never tampered with the lock other to check its working. I have kept it unlocked since purchasing it.

Zero problems with several boxes of ammo including +P.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Gray_Rider

MrMurphy
01-13-2013, 23:12
The S&W lock has been known to malfunction and freeze the gun at the wrong time with zero user input.

I won't use one.

Gray_Rider
01-13-2013, 23:57
Mr. Murphy,

Thanks for the info. I may be getting it removed or do it myself. I was unaware of the lock till I got it home. Bought the gun new. The price was around $350.00.

Gray_Rider

Rio Vista Slim
01-14-2013, 09:12
While there have been documented cases of lock failure on S&W revolvers so equipped, I have personally had no problems with the two S&W revolvers I own.

One is the much sought after Model 686 Plus with the three inch barrel. The other is my 637, which is carried quite a bit.

I don't like the lock, or the reason it was incorporated into the S&W revolver line-up. However, it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, and I like those two guns despite the IL.

Travclem
01-14-2013, 09:25
I have a no lock 642 and really like it. I will not own a S&W with a lock and would suggest removal of said lock to anyone that has one. Cheap insurance against failure IMO.

Gray_Rider
01-16-2013, 22:38
Checked with a local gunshop here in Jacksonville. SW forbids them to remove or disable gunlocks on their products. (Ambulance chasers)

Gray_Rider

CajunBass
01-17-2013, 06:01
I've owned two Smith & Wessons with the lock. Both were the big N frame guns, a 44 special, and a 45 Colt. I never had any trouble with them, and didn't expect any. I sold those guns, not because of the lock, but because I wanted something else. {BTW. The buyers both knew about the lock, and never mentioned it, so I can't say it hurt resale.)

Yes, there have been documented cases of the lock failing. I see no reason to think that the lock fails more often than some other "widget" in the gun, just nobody keeps track of "widget" failures.

MrMurphy
01-17-2013, 07:07
S&W makes no-lock models exactly for this reason, because the demand is there.

Check your local cop shops. Finding a no-lock new 642 isn't too hard.

Travclem
01-17-2013, 08:15
There are also plenty of videos on Youtube for removing the lock. These guns aren't hard to work on.

Bill Lumberg
01-17-2013, 08:27
Never had or heard of any credible real world issues. But I don't use the lock, and if all other factors are the same, I'll choose a no lock gun over a lock gun, simply due to simplicity.

Gray_Rider
01-17-2013, 19:27
I hate to trade my 642 off because it has one of the smoothest triggers out-of-the-box I have ever tried. I had one years ago. It was stolen. Purchased another but sold it just before moving to the Gunshine state. Both were non-lock pre +P versions so I can't say I have any experience with SW lock issues. My current 642 was purchased about three years back or so and has had several boxes of ammo mild to +P through it, perfectly flawless.
It was and still is my 'get off me gun' and is carried as a primary and as a BUG. Carried front pocket, it is just about the perfect balance of power and consealability, and it hides well IWB and OWB too!

Thanks everyone for the reads and advice from this old Secessh....

Gray_Rider