Weird stuff - Cobra 10mm mag plate came apart under ARMSCOR ammo recoil [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weird stuff - Cobra 10mm mag plate came apart under ARMSCOR ammo recoil

fnfalman
01-13-2013, 22:57
I forgot my camera at home so no pics to show the problem.

Some background information: my newly acquired Delta Elite Stainless Steel finally got some range time. I shot PMC ball, ARMSCOR ball (Filipino) and reloads by LAX Firing Range (a good size gun shop in LA that loads its own ammo).

Accuracy with the PMC ammo was quite respectable: ragged hole at 7-yds, 1-inch at 10-yds. I didn't shoot at longer ranges than that. LAX reloads went bang and that's about it. Groups were...not great.:rofl:

The ARMSCOR ammo was definitely hotter. I felt more recoil, that's for sure. Grouping was decent. A big bigger than PMC, but not a shotgun pattern like LAX ammo.

The problem was that the Tripp Cobra mags gave up the ghost: base plates let go and guts went flying. The first time it happened, it happened to three mags. Talked with Tripp Research and they wanted all five mags back for inspection. At this point I didn't connect the dot on ARMSCOR ammo being the culprit.

Got five new ones back and went to the range today again with the PMC, LAX reloads and ARMSCOR. Everything went hunky dory until one mag's baseplate let go. I was like,"WTF, over?" Picked up some ARMSCOR empty cases and noticed bulges near the rim. First thing that came to my mind was the lesser supported chamber of the M1911 - should have looked at the brasses the last time when the mags' base plates gave up the ghost but didn't. Broke out the Glock 20 and shot some through it - no problem with anything including the brass. OK, no more ARMSCOR for Delta Elite.

Now, gurus, explain to me how or why would the Cobra mags' base plates falling apart? The brasses were bulged but didn't rupture so the gases were not vented out of the mag well like in the case of ruptured brass and blow the mags/baseplates out...right (I've seen ruptured cases that blew the whole mag out and I've seen cases where only the base plate & guts blown out)? So, just the additional recoil alone would somehow jar the base plate enough to disengage it from the base plate release/locking button?

On the other hand, my factory mags were crap. Couldn't load more than 4-rounds through either and have sent them back to Colt for replacement. Haven't seen the replacement ones yet.

At least the stainless steel Delta Elite shoots much better than my older blued Delta Elite.

Tripp Cobra mags for the .38 Super were just simply slicker than snort. No issues whatsoever.

ilgunguygt
01-13-2013, 23:18
Thats weird. If a case let go, it would make sense. For there to be no case failure and it still do it? Weird. Let us know when you figure it out, I'm sure as hell curious.

fnfalman
01-13-2013, 23:42
Thats weird. If a case let go, it would make sense. For there to be no case failure and it still do it? Weird. Let us know when you figure it out, I'm sure as hell curious.

I think that I'm going to give Tripp Research a more detailed report of what happened today so that maybe they can figure something out. Before that, both me and Tripp Research thought that they had a bunch of out-of-spec mags, but now it's ammo specific YET there were no case rupture.

Just for giggles before I send this mag back, I'll need to shoot a couple of ARMSCOR rounds through my blued DE and see if it would have the same bulging case issue.

faawrenchbndr
01-14-2013, 05:45
Interesting,......never had an issue with Tripp mags

SigFTW
01-14-2013, 06:56
So, just the additional recoil alone would somehow jar the base plate enough to disengage it from the base plate release/locking button?

Do you have buffer pads on the bottom of these mags?

fnfalman
01-14-2013, 08:54
Do you have buffer pads on the bottom of these mags?
The base plate looks like it's suppose to be used as a buffer pad. Look at the photo below. Mine is the 9-rounder.

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

SigFTW
01-14-2013, 09:36
The base plate looks like it's suppose to be used as a buffer pad. Look at the photo below. Mine is the 9-rounder.

http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

You have the base pin and then the base, if there is slop between the two then it could be possible for the base to slip out, highly unlikely. Maybe the base pin is catching the side wall and not making full contact with the base even with the tension of the spring? Or the base pin is missing, too short or missed alined. Just a thoughts, this has me baffled too.

fnfalman
01-14-2013, 09:56
You have the base pin and then the base, if there is slop between the two then it could be possible for the base to slip out, highly unlikely. Maybe the base pin is catching the side wall and not making full contact with the base even with the tension of the spring? Or the base pin is missing, too short or missed alined. Just a thoughts, this has me baffled too.

I looked at the other four mags and it seems like the base plate is secured nicely by the base pin/locking button.

I'm going to shoot a mag or two through my blued Delta Elite and see if I could induce some more lost guts failure from the Cobra mags. I know that it shouldn't be a gun induced issue but I might as well cover all the bases when I talk to Tripp Research again.

intecooler
01-15-2013, 03:46
Some batches of Armscor created problems in Deltas due to them loading to real 10mm power. They put out a bulletin (I tested the ammo and it was 1200 FPS+). It worked fine in my 10's but gave bulges in Glocks and Deltas. Armscor/BVAC changed the loading back to 1100 FPS (confirmed this) which is watered down but works. You may have gotten the stronger lot. Contact them with your lot number on the inside tab.
I wish they still loaded it right. It was the best bang for the buck for a while then they changed it to fit pistols not up to snuff. If you get 1200-1250 over a Chrony with them they are the ones.

Bren
01-15-2013, 04:41
A Delta Elite is not the gun for hot 10mm. Get a Glock 10 if you are all into the hottest ammo. However, I've never had a problem with magazines, but I use only Colt and Mec Gar.

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 07:24
Some batches of Armscor created problems in Deltas due to them loading to real 10mm power. They put out a bulletin (I tested the ammo and it was 1200 FPS+). It worked fine in my 10's but gave bulges in Glocks and Deltas. Armscor/BVAC changed the loading back to 1100 FPS (confirmed this) which is watered down but works. You may have gotten the stronger lot. Contact them with your lot number on the inside tab.
I wish they still loaded it right. It was the best bang for the buck for a while then they changed it to fit pistols not up to snuff. If you get 1200-1250 over a Chrony with them they are the ones.

A Delta Elite is not the gun for hot 10mm. Get a Glock 10 if you are all into the hottest ammo. However, I've never had a problem with magazines, but I use only Colt and Mec Gar.

Gentlemen, I do understand that Delta Elite isn't the gun for hot 10mm, and that's why I have a Glock 20SF.

My bafflement is of the mag plate letting go when there's no case rupture.

intecooler
01-15-2013, 13:53
I'm just inputting on the recoil and why. Junk mags is all I can say on the why.

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 14:01
I'm just inputting on the recoil and why. Junk mags is all I can say on the why.

They're Tripp Research magazines and not some no-names that I grabbed out of a pile at gun shows.

intecooler
01-15-2013, 16:56
Gotcha. Well me personally if it falls apart I label it junk regardless of name. Send them back I guess.

okie
01-19-2013, 09:52
Good luck to you Fn, I hope you can get things figured out my friend:supergrin:

ilgunguygt
01-19-2013, 13:32
No updates yet FNFALMAN?

Annoyinglylongname
01-19-2013, 18:47
Ive seen the magazine on CZ52s let loose under the recoil impulse of 7.62x25 ammo loaded for ppSh41 subguns. Make sure the plates are securely locked into place and watch and see

fnfalman
01-20-2013, 22:40
There's really no update. I called and let Tripp Research know about one of the replacement mags' base plate letting go, but I'm not going to ask them for a replacement mag again. I've ordered some CMC mags and see how those work out. So far, the factory and Mec-Gar mags are running fine even with the hot ARMSCOR load, as are the Wilson Combat mags...except that they tend to jam now and then, but that's across the board and not just with ARMSCOR.

Damn Gucci mags.