G17 Cleveland PD overrun??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G17 Cleveland PD overrun???

hatidua
01-14-2013, 12:27
Although I've seen well-used police department trade-in Glocks in the past, I found a listing for an "unfired" G17 marked "CLVLNDOHPD" and am curious if anyone here can shed more light on these? I've contacted the seller but have not received a reply just yet. The only photos I've found are those in the listing: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325842847

ChiTownPicaro
01-14-2013, 12:59
Try posting on a cop forum?

Georg of Ohio
01-14-2013, 19:34
Even those it is marked “new” in the listing, it is not marked “un-fired”. The Cleveland PD allows it officers to buy their service weapon (after 20 years) and they can keep them when they retired. I think that they went to the 17 in the early 90s so there are some out there.

glock2740
01-14-2013, 19:38
Why? Is there a problem with posting about Glocks in the General Glocking forum? :dunno:

SJ 40
01-14-2013, 19:41
Why? Is there a problem with posting about Glocks in the General Glocking forum? :dunno:I've been wrong a time or three but I think he was saying that he might get more,better information,then again I maybe wrong. SJ 40

RWBlue
01-14-2013, 21:02
I've been wrong a time or three but I think he was saying that he might get more,better information,then again I maybe wrong. SJ 40

Taht is the way I read it.

BTW, I don't see any legitimate reason to purchase that gun for more than the retail value of a G17.

SJ 40
01-14-2013, 21:07

BTW, I don't see any legitimate reason to purchase that gun for more than the retail value of a G17.I sure wouldn't .
SJ 40

kodiakpb
01-14-2013, 21:39
It's not worth anymore than any other Gen 3 17 of like condition.

glock2740
01-14-2013, 21:40
I've been wrong a time or three but I think he was saying that he might get more,better information,then again I maybe wrong. SJ 40

BTW, I don't see any legitimate reason to purchase that gun for more than the retail value of a G17.

I sure wouldn't .
SJ 40
Maybe I was wrong, but the OP posted about some Glocks for sale and was asked why he wasn't posting on a cop forum? I don't look at cop forums and am interested in Glocks. Especially one's that might be for sale that Glock fans might be interested in. I didn't really think my question was out of line. And I agree that the price is a tad high IMO too. But these days, Glocks are getting top dollar. Glockmiester has used, non night sight Gen 2 G17's with only 2 mags for $479. Not a good deal either, but some might be interested. I mean, this is the General Glocking subforum.

AustinTx
01-14-2013, 22:59
The gun, in the picture, surely looks new. It does not look like it's been carried by a cop. Car door handles and other stuff usually scuffs up the grip.

Georg of Ohio
01-15-2013, 10:07
It may look like a new weapon, but I have never heard of any “Cleveland PD overruns”. It may have been a Detective’s issued weapon (many Detectives put their larger issues weapon away and carry a smaller second weapon).

wacopolumbo
01-15-2013, 11:13
Could also be an unissued weapon. I picked up a department Glock 22 that was a new, unissued department gun. I ended up selling it to someone who wanted it more than I did. I agree, it shouldn't sell for more that book value. Glocks don't seem to gain value if they are unique. I have a Sept 11th 2001 commerative G17 with special "USA" SN prefix, valued that same as a regular G17.

clarkz71
01-15-2013, 11:35
Even those it is marked “new” in the listing, it is not marked “un-fired”. The Cleveland PD allows it officers to buy their service weapon (after 20 years) and they can keep them when they retired. I think that they went to the 17 in the early 90s so there are some out there.

It does now.................

This Glock is UNFIRED and the magazines have never been loaded. The pistol's current condition is as it was delivered from the Glock factory to Cleveland PD for service use. No marks, scratches, scrapes, blemishes, or flaws of any kind are on this pistol.

Georg of Ohio
01-15-2013, 13:21
I may be wrong but (if so let me know, it wouldn't be the first time), I have never seen a new Glock, which didn't at least had one test fire round in the box. So I wonder about a second hand seller who would post “This Glock is UNFIRED and the magazines have never been loaded”
I have gotten some very good deals off on GunBroker and burned once (seller did not understand the meaning of “all matching numbers”).

He got one bid@ $499.99 ( which is (IMHO) a fair price for a used 17), and who know with the madness which is going on now he may get his 900 bucks.

S. Kelly
01-15-2013, 13:39
I bought a BNIB G17 Cleveland PD over-run back in the mid 2000s, when they were on the market. There were some G19 over-runs as well, wish I'd gotten a G19 as well. Very nice guns.

Georg of Ohio
01-15-2013, 15:50
I learn a little more each time I come on this forum-thanks, so did Glock or a Glock distributors sold you the new in the box 17?

I know that the Cleveland Police Dept. doses not sell it weapons to the general public.

hatidua
01-15-2013, 16:19

That's a good idea .....but all cop forums I've seen require dept email address to join so as to keep the chat group limited to other LEO's. Because I'm not in law enforcement, that precludes my posting it in such forums. That said, I understand the suggestion.

I've picked up a bit more info on it but thanks for the replies by those here, I appreciate it.

S. Kelly
01-15-2013, 21:19
I bought it either on Glocktalk or Gunbroker, can't remember. They were over-runs and I had cash in hand. Lucky me. More infor here-

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-reference/24306-police-marked-m-ps.html

Chicago2VP71
01-15-2013, 22:08
Crazy.. People will over pay because it has CLVLNDOHPD on it lol..

AustinTx
01-16-2013, 18:22
I may be wrong but (if so let me know, it wouldn't be the first time), I have never seen a new Glock, which didn't at least had one test fire round in the box. So I wonder about a second hand seller who would post “This Glock is UNFIRED and the magazines have never been loaded”
I have gotten some very good deals off on GunBroker and burned once (seller did not understand the meaning of “all matching numbers”).

He got one bid@ $499.99 ( which is (IMHO) a fair price for a used 17), and who know with the madness which is going on now he may get his 900 bucks.

The Glocks didn't come with any "test fire round" case, until sometime after 2000. Some govt. agencies require that they have a fired case from any gun sold, in their jurisdiction. I think, NJ is one, but I can't name all of them.

Most people consider a gun as "unfired", if it hasn't been fired, since leaving the factory.