Dry Firing - My First "Real" Post [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dry Firing - My First "Real" Post

glock1769
01-14-2013, 17:48
This is my first "real" post so I apologize if it's in the wrong place...plus, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times. I just got my first handgun last week (G17, Gen4). Right now, I'm trying to spend time just handling it...magazines in and out, slide back and forth, remove the slide, etc, etc. I also like to get the feel of holding it in a shooting position. Is it okay to dry fire? I've looked around in different places and keep seeing different opinions. I figure the people on this forum are pretty much the experts. Please let me know your thoughts...

Thanks in advance !

The Fed
01-14-2013, 17:50
Yes but I would just buy a set of snap caps. Then you can play all you want with no worries.

SJ 40
01-14-2013, 18:01
Welcome and Congrats !
I'm one of those who dry fire quite a bit and am also in the snap cap camp because of it.
Any trigger time is Good trigger time,most completive shooters will dry fire for a period of time almost every day. SJ 40

F106 Fan
01-14-2013, 18:14
I consider dry firing to be a safety concern.

You need to come up with a place to dry fire where you NEVER bring loaded ammo. That has to be the rule! If it isn't, sooner or later, you will snap on a loaded round. It happens!

So, when you take your loaded weapon out of the gun safe, you remove the loaded magazine and eject the loaded round and leave them behind. Grab an empty magazine and head off to somewhere else to practice leaving all the loaded ammo in a little plastic tray on top of the safe. BTW, there's a reason that practice magazines are often painted orange!

Anyway, when you get to your practice area, go through the practice of checking that your weapon is truly empty. Then you can load one or more snap caps in the magazine and practice as much as you want. Remember, no loaded ammo in this area - EVER!

You would not believe the number of bullet holes in the walls of the motels around training sites.

Richard

HK Dan
01-14-2013, 18:26
Standard practice is to not have any live ammo in the practice area, period. After that, pick up a book on dry fire (Steve Anderson has a good one), it's a LOT more than just aiming at the TV and pulling the trigger!

Bruce M
01-14-2013, 18:27
I have dry fired mine more than a few times without issue.

Opie 1 Kenopie
01-14-2013, 18:42
I've dry fired mine thousands of times, no Snap Caps and they all still function 100%. I like to throw down an old soft body armor vest (if you have access to one) and fire at it, pointed away from any people or expensive equipment. If for some reason a round ever went off, the vest is there to stop it and nobody is "downrange" anyway. Good shootin' man.

glock1769
01-14-2013, 20:47
Thanks for the feedback ! I'm really trying to do things right....safety is my FIRST priority !!!!

gooffeyguy
01-14-2013, 21:05
I have dry fired my 2nd gen G23 with an empty chamber (no snap caps) for 20 years with no problems

Arc Angel
01-14-2013, 21:18
:upeyes: It's your pistol. Do whatever you want; but, when you do, don't forget that Glock's aren't made out of some magic German, 'wunder steel'.

Glock, Smyrna says not to dry fire your pistol without using snap caps. So, what do we get? Board members, here, who phone Smyrna and push the poor guy on the other end of the phone to rationalize un:dampened dry firing for them; AND, then, these guys put up posts on the board bragging about how their way is still the best. :freak:

You're right, though. THIS question has been asked, at least, a thousand times since I've been on the board. I answer it now like I answered it then; and I've got magazines and cylinders full of snap caps all over the house. (They're cheap insurance that my well used EDC's are going to go, 'Bang!' when I want them to.) ;)

Green Mountain Boy
01-14-2013, 21:29
Snap caps for semis spent shells for revolvers.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

gooffeyguy
01-14-2013, 21:29
Glock, Smyrna also say don't shoot reloaded ammo.

Oh wait, forgot the :upeyes:

bennie1986
01-14-2013, 22:11
Way I've always looked at it in these type of pistols is that you have to dry fire it to remove the slide so it cant hurt.

VinnieG
01-14-2013, 22:20
I do t know what this Smyrna is all about but I have dry fired my glocks for 15 years tens of thousands of times. I have never had a broken part or problem at all

tonyparson
01-14-2013, 22:28
Way I've always looked at it in these type of pistols is that you have to dry fire it to remove the slide so it cant hurt.

Its okay to dry fire every now and then like to remove the slide that will not hurt your Glock. It's when you dry fire it over and over that Glock says can hurt your slide in time. Like orhers said its your Glock do what ever you want with it. Just dont expect Glock to replace it if something does happen to it. Me snapcaps are cheap and save wear and tear on your breach face and firing pin.

Arc Angel
01-14-2013, 23:16
Glock, Smyrna also say don't shoot reloaded ammo.

Oh wait, forgot the :upeyes:

Looks like you forgot more than just your smilie face. ;)

ALL FIREARM MANUFACTURERS MAKE THAT REPRESENTATION. Deep thinker that you are, that's not the point! Not in this thread, and not at Smyrna, either.

I don't (Ed.) know what this Smyrna is all about but I have dry fired my glocks for 15 years tens of thousands of times. I have never had a broken part or problem at all

:freak: Of course you have! If your Glock were truly representative of all Glocks, we wouldn't be having this discussion; but, hey, this is the Internet; and, no matter what is said, someone like you is always sure to make an appearance.

Look at the working end of your striker (FP). Do you see any wear or galling? Take a careful look at the firing pin hole. Is it, even slightly, elongated? Why do guys like you continually fail to realize that your Glock wasn't designed to operate like that?

Can many Glock owner/users get away with it? Sure! Is there a significant number of other Glock users who don't? Glock, Smyrna seems to think so.

PICTURES OF THE MONTH:

http://imageshack.us/a/img232/5203/dryfiredamage.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img338/9772/glockwithcrackedbreechf.jpg

Look at the elongation on that FP hole! Look at the secondary crack in the breechface. Is the message finally starting to sink in? (Probably not, huh!) :)

gooffeyguy
01-15-2013, 00:05
Dry firing is not the sole cause of these breech failures. They may contribute to it though, but not the sole cause.

All of the breech failures that I have seen or heard of, Glock has replaced the slide for the customer under warranty. If it truly was customer error solely due to dry firing then I doubt that would happen.

Metal fatigue happens. A fired round exerts a lot more force to that area than the striker with a 6lb spring does. So does the slide when it comes forward when chambering a round.

SJ 40
01-15-2013, 00:08

ALL FIREARM MANUFACTURERS MAKE THAT REPRESENTATION. Deep thinker that you are, that's not the point! Not in this thread, and not at Smyrna, either.

:freak: Of course you have! If your Glock were truly representative of all Glocks, we wouldn't be having this discussion; but, hey, this is the Internet; and, no matter what is said, someone like you is always sure to make an appearance.

Look at the working end of your striker (FP). Do you see any wear or galling? Take a careful look at the firing pin hole. Is it, even slightly, elongated? Why do guys like you continually fail to realize that your Glock wasn't designed to operate like that?

Can many Glock owner/users get away with it? Sure! Is there a significant number of other Glock users who don't? Glock, Smyrna seems to think so.

PICTURES OF THE MONTH:

Look at the elongation on that FP hole! Look at the secondary crack in the breechface. Is the message finally starting to sink in? (Probably not, huh!) :)Arc
The old saying You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink,seems to come to mind. SJ 40

DWARREN123
01-15-2013, 01:03
I use the aluminum snap caps for dry firing. A-Zoom brand I believe.

VinnieG
01-15-2013, 10:01

PICTURES OF THE MONTH:

Look at the elongation on that FP hole! Look at the secondary crack in the breechface. Is the message finally starting to sink in? (Probably not, huh!) :)

For one you could have told me who or what Smyrna is because as I started my post I don't know.
Second, were all of the smart ass comments really needed? i was not stating that it was the thing to do, just my experience.
So as it seems by your comments you know exactly what kind of guy I am by reading my post. I now have read your post and have made the assumption that you are an *******.
When I went through glock armorers school the instructor said that it was ok to dry fire, that it would not hurt a thing. If this is wrong then Glock or Smyrna or whoever need to get all their people on the same page.

Arc Angel
01-15-2013, 10:31
For one you could have told me who or what Smyrna is because as I started my post I don't know.

Second, were all of the smart ass comments really needed? i was not stating that it was the thing to do, just my experience.

So as it seems by your comments you know exactly what kind of guy I am by reading my post. I now have read your post and have made the assumption that you are an *******.

When I went through glock armorers school the instructor said that it was ok to dry fire, that it would not hurt a thing. If this is wrong then Glock or Smyrna or whoever need to get all their people on the same page. (Edited for continuity and clarity)

You went to Armorer's School; and you don't know, 'What' Smyrna is! :rofl:

Do you, even, know, 'Where' you are right now? (Hint: GlockTalk.com) :shocked:

So, you think I'm an *******. OK, you're entitled to your opinion. I guess, though, that nobody has ever told you not to say something like that to someone while you're on the Internet.

'Why?' you're, probably, going to ask. ....... :headscratch: Because, at worst, it makes you look like a coward; and, at best, another, 'GunKid'. (I know; I know; I'm penetrating, 'the fog'; and, now, you don't know who, 'GunKid' is, either.) :freak:

I guess I'm going to have to take solace in the fact that I've been called worse before; and, I am sure, by better men than you. :)

poodleplumber
01-15-2013, 10:41
I use snap caps simply because I am not aware of any downside to their use. Simple, cheap, and if it saves even a little wear on the pistol, why not? Your nickle, though.

bennie1986
01-15-2013, 10:51
Its okay to dry fire every now and then like to remove the slide that will not hurt your Glock. It's when you dry fire it over and over that Glock says can hurt your slide in time. Like orhers said its your Glock do what ever you want with it. Just dont expect Glock to replace it if something does happen to it. Me snapcaps are cheap and save wear and tear on your breach face and firing pin.

I only do it to take gun down.

clarkz71
01-15-2013, 11:01

Vinnie, look at the right side top of the grip below the slide.

Should tell you.

VinnieG
01-15-2013, 11:01
You went to Armorer's School; and you don't know, 'What' Smyrna is! :rofl:

Do you, even, know, 'Where' you are right now? (Hint: GlockTalk.com) :shocked:

So, you think I'm an *******. OK, you're entitled to your opinion. I guess, though, that nobody has ever told you not to say something like that to someone while you're on the Internet.

'Why?' you're, probably, going to ask. ....... :headscratch: Because, at worst, it makes you look like a coward; and, at best, another, 'GunKid'. (I know; I know; I'm penetrating, 'the fog'; and, now, you don't know who, 'GunKid' is, either.) :freak:

I guess I'm going to have to take solace in the fact that I've been called worse before; and, I am sure, by better men than you. :)

Ok since you still didn't answer the question I used google. I have never heard some one reference glock by Smyrna. I see now that is where they are located in GA.
I still don't understand why so many on here have to be a smart ass all the time. If you don't agree with something say so. If you have other or better information give it.
And no I don't know who gunkid is. Is that a crime also not to know who everyone is on this forum.
I went to armorers school a long time ago. I'm not certified anymore because my agency changed to smith M&P pistols so I went to that school.
Me calling you an ******* was out of line, but not any worse than you reading one of my posts and implying that I'm a liar and stupid.

Arc Angel
01-15-2013, 11:04
:) OK! Can we be friends now?

(I don't hold grudges; life is, simply, too short!) ;)

VinnieG
01-15-2013, 11:14
Vinnie, look at the right side top of the grip below the slide.

Should tell you.

Thank you for a straight answer brother.

VinnieG
01-15-2013, 11:25
:) OK! Can we be friends now?

(I don't hold grudges; life is, simply, too short!) ;)

Sure can. I don't like makin enemies and that was not my intention.

dhgeyer
01-15-2013, 15:54
Why does this topic, when it comes up, always cause such vituperation? We should save that for the folks who are trying very hard right now to disarm us!

FWIW, I talked to a tech at Glock when this came up a while ago. He pointed out that the manual does not discourage dry firing Glocks, and there has been no change in Glock's official position on this matter. There have been cases of slides failing, and some people have associated this with excessive (not moderate) amounts of dry firing. As the above photos show, however, since the failed part of the breech face is pretty much an exact outline of the cartridge head, many believe that the failures were not due to dry firing, but rather to metal failure from firing live ammo.

As you pointed out yourself, every time this comes up you are going to get differing opinions. If you were hoping this forum would be different, well, obviously it's not. One guy in particular seems to be really really adamant about his opinion. You will have to make up your own mind.

I don't dry fire my guns much. So, when I do I don't bother with snap caps. If I did a lot of it, I probably would, depending on the gun.

Some guns are designed not to be dry fired. Most, but not all rimfire firearms will be damaged from dry firing because the firing pin will dent/gall the back of the chamber where it hits. But, Ruger target pistols, for example, have a stop built in to prevent this, and the manual says it's fine to dry fire as long as the restraining pin is in place in the bolt. My Savage model 1919-NRA .22 rimfire has a similar safeguard and can be dry fired.

So one good answer is, read your manual. If there is any kind of consensus, and I'm not sure there is, it would be that small to moderate amounts of dry firing will not harm a Glock, and even fairly large amounts probably won't but possibly could, and if you plan to dry fire much, snap caps are cheap.

glocker1769
01-15-2013, 16:17

glock1769
01-15-2013, 16:20
Thanks for all the input...I didn't mean to start anything :-). I think I formulated a good idea of how to proceed.