Baretta 3032 Tomcat question! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Baretta 3032 Tomcat question!

Ghost Rider55
01-14-2013, 19:02
Hi guys and gals,
A friend of mine purchased a gun for his wife. They are both elderly and she is not the strongest person. She got a Baretta 3032 Tomcat gun and she told me that the trigger seems kind of hard to pull. I've tried it and it seems OK with me but again she is a weak person. They asked the guy at the store and the owner told them that there is no way that the spring ca be replace or do to the trigger to lighten up the pull. I have no clues about Barettas but I figure I ask. I will probably catch flak for it but I wanted o help a friend. I suggested a revolver but she wants something with a "safety". I also don't think that she should own a gun but she already got a concealed carry permit so she wants to have one "in her purse just in case"..... Once again, thank you folks for any suggestions you might have ( regarding the trigger pull)

Arc Angel
01-14-2013, 19:30
A Beretta, 'Alley Cat' (3032 w/ night sight) IS my usual BUG. I think you're right; and I, also, agree that she shouldn't be carrying a gun. She's, probably, not going to be able to use it safely anymore than my own mother ever could. If she knew so much as the first thing about pistols she'd understand that a double action revolver with a full cylinder, 'is its own safety'. If you want to be super-safe with a double-action revolver simply carry it with the hammer over an empty chamber.

Double-action revolvers are NOT Glocks! There's no preloaded striker to have to worry about; the trigger pulls are long; and the typical trigger pull weight is 10-12#'s. The hammer spurs are usually large enough for even older hands to manipulate; (Something this woman sounds like she isn't going to be able to do with the tiny hammer spur on her present Model 3032.) and, if she can't shoot double-action skillfully, then, the hammer can always be cocked for a (more steady) single-action shot.

On the + side? Provided it isn't one of the Inox models, that Beretta isn't an exceedingly expensive pistol; and she can trade it on something more amenable to her aged frame and physical condition. Maybe a 38 Special loaded with, 'powder puff' rounds. ;)

Before closing this I've got to tell you it sounds like someone has given this woman terrible handgun and self-defense advice. (She hasn't been hanging around internet gun forums, has she?) :supergrin:

ddbtoth
01-14-2013, 19:32
push the revolver-I have a Tomcat too and yes-it is an atricious trigger. The double action of the revolver serves well as a safety, I suggest it frequently to my female friends who don't have much upper body strength. Don't go snubby-they are not much fun to shoot-a 4" S&W model 10 with good +P 38 Special HP been putting them down for a lotta years.

WoodenPlank
01-14-2013, 20:01
The Tomcat can be carried cocked and locked. Help her find a decent holster to cover the trigger guard, and teach her to carry it in Condition 1.

Ghost Rider55
01-14-2013, 20:11
Thanks guys. I think that her husband had someone talking him into it because "it was cheap". They are both very thrifty...... She actually managed few decent shots with my 27 but there is no way that she could pull the slide. Next week I am taking her to my backyard ( I have a range there) and will have her try my wife's S&W SPL+P Airweight and see what she thinks of it. They are both friends and I really want to help them out. I have no financial gain in this just want to make sure she doesn't get hurt. I think that she will be mentally ready but she needs all kinds of help at the range. I can help her with that but again, have no clue whatsoever regarding Barettas. I own several Glockas and a HK 45C as hand guns. My wife likes and has several S&W revolvers. I have a original AR15 Bushmaster, couple shotguns and few 50 upper 50 cals for my AR. my former partner in business was Marcos Ruiz who started Ultralite 50. He sold the company about 2 years ago. I used to make lots of his parts for him in my shop.well enough ranting on my part...... Thanks again for all your time and help. God Bless.

Ghost Rider55
01-14-2013, 20:16
The Tomcat can be carried cocked and locked. Help her find a decent holster to cover the trigger guard, and teach her to carry it in Condition 1.

Her biggest problem is that she thinks that "it is too hard to pull that trigger"..... My only concern is a very limp wrist issue.... Once again, thanks a lot. I will try everything I can to have her try as many guns I can get and see what she decides. I have few few friends that own other guns than I have around the house and see what happens. Once again, thanks for all the help!

Ghost Rider55
01-14-2013, 20:18
Arc angel, thanks for all your detailed, always polite and helpful responses. God Bless you Brother!

WoodenPlank
01-14-2013, 20:21
Her biggest problem is that she thinks that "it is too hard to pull that trigger"..... My only concern is a very limp wrist issue.... Once again, thanks a lot. I will try everything I can to have her try as many guns I can get and see what she decides. I have few few friends that own other guns than I have around the house and see what happens. Once again, thanks for all the help!

Again, cocked and locked - hammer cocked, safety on. The trigger pull is going to be much lighter in that condition than with the hammer down for the first shot.

Ghost Rider55
01-14-2013, 20:25
Again, cocked and locked - hammer cocked, safety on. The trigger pull is going to be much lighter in that condition than with the hammer down for the first shot.

Plank,
I didn't realized that. I will be out of town this week but I will invite her to my house Saturday and try some we stuff with her including your suggestion. Hope it works for her. Once again, thanks for your help and patience. God Bless.

Ghost Rider55
01-14-2013, 20:29

Plank, I meant to ask you something. Where in SW Florida are you from? I am in Weeki Wachee Florida. That is in central Fl. Right on the Golf of Mexico....

The Fed
01-14-2013, 20:34
If she can't pull the trigger I don't think she'll be able to cock the hammer OR click off the safety.

WoodenPlank
01-14-2013, 20:50
Plank, I meant to ask you something. Where in SW Florida are you from? I am in Weeki Wachee Florida. That is in central Fl. Right on the Golf of Mexico....

That's NW Florida, not SW.

If she can't pull the trigger I don't think she'll be able to cock the hammer OR click off the safety.

I got rid of my 3032 a while back, but as I remember the DA pull is rather heavy and gritty. The SA pull and safety are much easier.

RGbiker
01-15-2013, 15:20
I owned a Beretta Tomcat for a brief period. I found the trigger pull hard and gritty, plus ammo was very e$pen$ive.

Sold it after I had to replace the firing pin and spring from dry firing. It was one of the narrow slide models, which are prone to cracking from HV ammo usage.

Memo to all: Use SNAP CAPS in the Tomcat.

WoodenPlank
01-15-2013, 16:55
I owned a Beretta Tomcat for a brief period. I found the trigger pull hard and gritty, plus ammo was very e$pen$ive.

Sold it after I had to replace the firing pin and spring from dry firing. It was one of the narrow slide models, which are prone to cracking from HV ammo usage.

Memo to all: Use SNAP CAPS in the Tomcat.

My old Tomcat did the same thing.

bac1023
01-15-2013, 17:11
I have a Tomcat as well and I can see why the trigger would be hard to pull by someone with weak hands and/or fingers.