Stainless replacement barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stainless replacement barrel

Bama
01-14-2013, 22:05
Has anybody used or heard of being used the stainless replacemet barrels? I've seen storm lake, lone wolf and a few more. I really like the look it gives the gun, but don't want to lose accuracy or function just for looks.

Bama

SJ 40
01-14-2013, 22:20
The only stainless barrel for a Glock I own is a Wilson,I purchased it because I ended up with a basket case G 22,Cheap,because it lacked a barrel for whatever reason.
My preference would be a factory Glock barrel but the Wilson was less costly than OEM.

That said the OEM barrel is a very accurate,well made barrel that's hard to best.
If you like the look polish off the black on your factory barrel.
Your OEM barrel is not more prone to corrosion than a after market 416 stainless,that most of the after market barrels are produced of. SJ 40

tonyparson
01-14-2013, 22:32
The only stainless barrel for a Glock I own is a Wilson,I purchased it because I ended up with a basket case G 22,Cheap,because it lacked a barrel for whatever reason.
My preference would be a factory Glock barrel but the Wilson was less costly than OEM.

That said the OEM barrel is a very accurate,well made barrel that's hard to best.
If you like the look polish off the black on your factory barrel.
Your OEM barrel is not more prone to corrosion than a after market 416 staingless,that most of the after market barrels are produced of. SJ 40

This ☝☝☝☝☝☝

Arc Angel
01-14-2013, 22:50
You mean like this?

http://imageshack.us/a/img715/3176/p6050016s.jpg

;)

My 416 stainless steel Bar-Sto Precision barrels (I have 3 of them.) are phenomenally accurate! I wish I were still able to wring out the kind of accuracy all of my Bar-Sto barrels are able to produce. (NOT a match grade 1911, but still very good! Like inside 2 inches, or better, @ 25 yards.)

AustinTx
01-14-2013, 23:47
My 416 stainless steel Bar-Sto Precision barrels (I have 3 of them.) are phenomenally accurate! I wish I were still able to wring out the kind of accuracy all of my Bar-Sto barrels are able to produce. (NOT a match grade 1911, but still very good! Like inside 2 inches, or better, @ 25 yards.)

All I wanted was the signature. I had to include some of the original post, to slip this in.

If America's public schools were required to teach The Ten Commandments, then, it would no longer be necessary for Congress and the President to feel that they need to effectively disarm the entire nation. (300 million people for the sins of a few!)

We probably wouldn't even need a President or Congress.

Please carry on, forgive me, please.

judgecrater
01-15-2013, 00:45
Has anybody used or heard of being used the stainless replacemet barrels? I've seen storm lake, lone wolf and a few more. I really like the look it gives the gun, but don't want to lose accuracy or function just for looks.

Bama
I have a KKM in my G17 and Lone Wolf in my G21sf. No loss of accuracy. Reliability is fine too.

bocadave
01-15-2013, 07:20
Put a Storm Lake in my 19 a short time ago and have had no problems. Was 100% drop in and never have had a misfire with three kinds of ammo from 95gr 115gr.

Arc Angel
01-15-2013, 09:03
All I wanted was the signature. .......

'If America's public schools were required to teach The Ten Commandments, then, it would no longer be necessary for Congress and the President to feel that they need to effectively disarm the entire nation. (300 million people for the sins of a few!)'

We probably wouldn't even need a President or Congress. Please carry on, forgive me, please.

:) Howard, are there ever any mornings when you wake up and feel like you're on the verge of becoming extinct? ;)

People like you and me are, now, being compelled to become, 'mere observers'. We see the sins; we realize the mistakes; and we've lived long enough to appreciate, 'Where' everything has to be going; but, at the same time, none of our fellows wants to listen to whatever warnings (be they spiritual or mundane) we might have to offer.

This reluctance to, 'turn back' seems to be the, 'way of the world' as well as a strong inclination of, 'prodigal youth'. Your statement, 'We probably wouldn't even need a President or Congress.' reminds me of the Prophet Samuel's repeated warnings to ancient Israel when the people refused to be dissuaded from their strong desire to be, Ďlike the other nationsí, and have a, 'grand king' to rule over them.

Samuel warned the Jews that God was their real king; that He, and He alone, should rule and exercise authority over Israel; but, the people wouldn't have it; and, in the end, they got their king. (Because sometimes people can be of such an obdurate heart that the only way for them to learn is THE HARD WAY; and, when the people of ancient Israel insisted, that's exactly what their God allowed them to receive!)

You donít require any forgiveness from me. In fact, I rather admire your insight and continued willingness to speak from a Christian point-of-view. It canít always be, Ďabout gunsí. I know that I donít want to be remembered for the time Iíve spent here as only a, Ďcompetent pistoleroí. Itís, now, apparent to me that neither do you. :thumbsup:

Bama
01-15-2013, 19:10
My 416 stainless steel Bar-Sto Precision barrels (I have 3 of them.) are phenomenally accurate! I wish I were still able to wring out the kind of accuracy all of my Bar-Sto barrels are able to produce. (NOT a match grade 1911, but still very good! Like inside 2 inches, or better, @ 25 yards.)[/QUOTE]

I noticed your barrel is ported. Any advantage to this that you've noticed or do you just like the look/

tango44
01-15-2013, 20:57
KKM on my G26, love it.

deputy1199
01-16-2013, 16:47
KKM .40 caliber barrel in my G32 for reloads. Dropped right in with no fitting required. Feeds anything and is as accurate as any of my stock barrels. No regrets.

Bruce M
01-16-2013, 17:18
Maybe it's just me, but for other than shooting unjacketed rounds, I would stick with the stock barrel. I would guess that polishing it would be alot less than an aftermarket barrel.

AustinTx
01-16-2013, 18:46
I have a KKM 357 SIG and a Lone Wolf 9 mm barrel, for my G35. The KKM looks better, but the LW was lower priced. I don't want to say, it's cheaper, because I'm not too sure about that. It's a good looking barrel, with the wolf caricature, hidden, under the chamber.

People that don't know history are doomed to repeat it.

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 15:41
I have Lone Wolfs in my 20, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 35, 37, and 38, and a Storm Lake in my 30sf. All of them shoot reliably, and I woul dventure to say accuracy increased over the stock barrel. I reload for mine, so I use the aftermarkets to enable shooting lead and for the tighter chamber dimensions. Bottom line, reliably remains excellent, however I still only carry with my factory barrels.

barth
01-17-2013, 15:57
Four Storm Lake Barrels for my gen 3 G27;
1) G27 40-9mm Conversion
2) G23 40-9mm Conversion
3) G23 40
4) G27 357 Sig Extended, Dual Ported, Black Isonite QPQ on Stainless

All drop in, 100% reliable and very accurate.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo19/56/1d/8af04c72d96d__1335910560000.jpeg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

Bama
01-17-2013, 20:20
I have Lone Wolfs in my 20, 21, 22, 23, 31, 32, 35, 37, and 38, and a Storm Lake in my 30sf. All of them shoot reliably, and I woul dventure to say accuracy increased over the stock barrel. I reload for mine, so I use the aftermarkets to enable shooting lead and for the tighter chamber dimensions. Bottom line, reliably remains excellent, however I still only carry with my factory barrels.

Just curious,
Why do you carry with stock barrel over stainless?

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 20:30
Just curious,
Why do you carry with stock barrel over stainless?

I carry with the stock barrel due to the aftermarket barrels having slightly steeper feed ramps and tighter chambers (which can possibly decrease reliability). Its one thing to shoot with these barrels while shooting reloaded ammo at steel or paper, but I prefer to trust my life to factory ammo and using the stock, less supported and larger chamber barrel just as Glock designed for reliability. While I have not had any reliability issues with the aftermarket barrels, personally I want my guns to run when I might need them most. With factory ammo I chamber check every round prior to loading in my magazines. Others might carry with aftermarket barrels and I am sure they will be just as safe, but I choose not to. Also, you will never see police or military using the tighter aftermarket barrels. :dunno:

Bama
01-17-2013, 20:42
I carry with the stock barrel due to the aftermarket barrels having slightly steeper feed ramps and tighter chambers (which can possibly decrease reliability). Its one thing to shoot with these barrels while shooting reloaded ammo at steel or paper, but I prefer to trust my life to factory ammo and using the stock, less supported and larger chamber barrel just as Glock designed for reliability. While I have not had any reliability issues with the aftermarket barrels, personally I want my guns to run when I might need them most. With factory ammo I chamber check every round prior to loading in my magazines. Others might carry with aftermarket barrels and I am sure they will be just as safe, but I choose not to. Also, you will never see police or military using the tighter aftermarket barrels. :dunno:

I think I would do the same too. Do you swap out your guide rod and spring also? I've seen the stainless and tungsten guide rods, but reviews were split on if they are worth the money

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 20:59
I think I would do the same too. Do you swap out your guide rod and spring also? I've seen the stainless and tungsten guide rods, but reviews were split on if they are worth the money

I use the factory recoil rods and springs. The only gun that I dont is in my 20sf. With my 10mm loads, I have everything from lighter than 40S&W all the way up to heavier than factory loads. I have an aftermarket steel guide rod and a selection of springs that I use depending upon which load I am shooting.

For my carry guns... they are all stock except for night sights. Glock built a reputation for reliability and durability using the stock barrels and guiderods. If you do not intend to be reloading and loading your ammo at different power levels, then my advice is leave it stock. They really work best that way. If it ain;t broke, then don't fix it.

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 21:04
Something else to think about... if you want reliability plus the good looks of stainless, then look into getting your factory barrel NiB (Nickel Boron) coated. It looks like stainless, adheres over your factory barrel, and has a natural lubrication which aids in reliability. My Glock 19 that I carry ALOT has the NiB treated slide and barrel. I like the way it looks, but you could do just the barrel. Stainless looks, Glock reliability, and potentially enhanced lubrication properties.

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 21:10
Pic of NiB I found on the internet

danattherock
01-17-2013, 21:14

Bama

I put a KKM barrel in my G20 (10 mm) and it improved the accuracy in a very appreciable way. Has been 100% running 1/2 dozen different loads. Not one FTF, FTE, etc.. Best money I have ever spent on a gun mod. Will be buying more KKM barrels.

-Dan

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/8007994243_e19d5d0a92_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6038/6332586709_381b5bfffd_z.jpg

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 21:17
I put a KKM barrel in my G20 (10 mm) and it improved the accuracy in a very appreciable way. Has been 100% running 1/2 dozen different loads. Not one FTF, FTE, etc.. Best money I have ever spent on a gun mod. Will be buying more KKM barrels.

-Dan

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8438/8007994243_e19d5d0a92_z.jpg

I have the stock length LoneWolf in my 20sf. Never had any issues with it either. Been thinking of getting a 6 inch barrel for hunting and increased velocity.

Bama
01-17-2013, 22:07

My 19 is done that way. That's it in my avatar picture
I also have trijcon night sights on it

ronin.45
01-17-2013, 22:31
Maybe it's just me, but for other than shooting unjacketed rounds, I would stick with the stock barrel. I would guess that polishing it would be alot less than an aftermarket barrel.

Agreed. There are only two reasons to change a Glock barrel. Lead and threads.

Bama
01-19-2013, 20:41

Here's a better pic of my 19