New York bans all semi auto weapons [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New York bans all semi auto weapons

Gideon2086
01-15-2013, 08:16
The bills starts off by limiting mag capacity to 7 rounds but then sneaks in "all semi-automatic firearms with detachable magazines are illegal."

The politicians admitted they didn't even read the bill before voting yes.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

G29SFWTF
01-15-2013, 08:29
I'm sure gun violence will plummet immediately as criminals fall all over themselves to turn in their guns. :upeyes:

dosei
01-15-2013, 08:34
Any link to the actual text of the bill?

Gideon2086
01-15-2013, 08:36
Having a hard time copying it over on my phone to hear. Let me see if I can figure it out.

Scrappy
01-15-2013, 08:39
NY is run by Hitler!

Gideon2086
01-15-2013, 08:41
Any link to the actual text of the bill?

It's not copying over. When you find the text look to about 3/4 through it. You'll see where they have banned all semi-autos.

fgutie35
01-15-2013, 08:41
Bravo for Mr. Bloomberg, now all of the cartel members that reside in new Jersey will flee to New York!
And there is a good number of them.:whistling:

WayneJessie
01-15-2013, 08:55
I logged on to the Official NY tourism site and told them I would no longer step foot in their state nor would I knowingly purchase a product made there. I told them to relay the message to the Communists running their state. Waste of time? Maybe, but it's all I can do so I did it.

dosei
01-15-2013, 08:57
It's not copying over. When you find the text look to about 3/4 through it. You'll see where they have banned all semi-autos.

Is this the bill you are referring to?
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S202A-2013

If so...is this the portion of the bill you are referring to:
(C) SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE
MAGAZINE AND HAS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING:

(I) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND;
(II) A FOLDING, TELESCOPING OR THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(III) A SHROUD ATTACHED TO THE BARREL, OR THAT PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY
ENCIRCLES THE BARREL, ALLOWING THE BEARER TO HOLD THE FIREARM WITH THE
NON-TRIGGER HAND WITHOUT BEING BURNED, BUT EXCLUDING A SLIDE THAT
ENCLOSES THE BARREL;
(IV) A MUZZLE BRAKE OR MUZZLE COMPENSATOR; OR
(V) THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AT ANY LOCATION
OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP;

If you are not referring to bill S202A-2013, can you at least list the bill number you are referring to?

BigSpenda864
01-15-2013, 08:58
From USA Today Article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/14/cuomo-new-york-guns/1833271/

Cuomo's bill, which was formally proposed after 8 p.m., also makes changes to laws regarding the mentally ill. If a mental-health professional decides someone is a potential risk to others or themselves, they would be required to alert the authorities, who would have the ability to confiscate any firearms that person may own.

Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds.

Under Cuomo's plan, the state would have one year to set up an instant background check system for all ammunition purchases. Law enforcement would be alerted to large purchases of ammunition.

Cuomo and lawmakers have been in talks over the state's gun laws since the Dec. 14 massacre in Newtown, Conn. If the vote passes the Assembly, New York would be the first state to pass tighter firearm restrictions since the shooting.

glock2740
01-15-2013, 09:05
If I heard correctly, there is a 3 day wait on ALL bills, before they can be legally voted on, per New York's own constitution. They played the typical lib play of ignoring the LAW and calling a midnight closed door session to vote on this. This may "pass" for now, but they will lose in the NY state Supreme Court. Just like the dems/libs/anti-gunners lost in DC's and Chicago's courts.

garya1961
01-15-2013, 10:30
I saw on TV this morning that the NY ban would limit mags to 7 rounds.

TSAX
01-15-2013, 10:34
If I heard correctly, there is a 3 day wait on ALL bills, before they can be legally voted on, per New York's own constitution. They played the typical lib play of ignoring the LAW and calling a midnight closed door session to vote on this. This may "pass" for now, but they will lose in the NY state Supreme Court. Just like the dems/libs/anti-gunners lost in DC's and Chicago's courts.

And in San Francisco when they tried this. The courts overtuned it

:50cal: (http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg)

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 10:34
Maybe some intrepid New Yorkers would sue the State of New York and take it all the way to the US Supreme Court?

James Dean
01-15-2013, 10:42
The Mayor of NY has A LOT of money. MONEY TALKS. In the end he will get his way. My house in Florida is under construction. I live in NJ, and I will be a resident for another year. I can't wait to move.

oldman11
01-15-2013, 10:42
I'm sure gun violence will plummet immediately as criminals fall all over themselves to turn in their guns. :upeyes:
I think you're almost right. Violence probably will slow for awhile because all the criminals will be laughing so hard they will be falling down. They'll also have a lot of parties celebrating the fall of freedom in NY. They know they can now start more looting, robbing, etc. all backed by the communist takeover of NY.

dosei
01-15-2013, 11:10
I think you're almost right. Violence probably will slow for awhile because all the criminals will be laughing so hard they will be falling down. They'll also have a lot of parties celebrating the fall of freedom in NY. They know they can now start more looting, robbing, etc. all backed by the communist takeover of NY.

I would not be surprised to see a spike...
Thanks to the new agencies, criminals have detailed maps showing the locations of everybody that own firearms. They may decide to "go shopping" before the turn-ins and confiscations begin.

dosei
01-15-2013, 11:24
Okay...looks like someone else posted a link to the bill on another GT forum.
Here it is:
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

...but I'm not seeing the line that the OP refers to???

janice6
01-15-2013, 11:26
From USA Today Article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/14/cuomo-new-york-guns/1833271/

Cuomo's bill, which was formally proposed after 8 p.m., also makes changes to laws regarding the mentally ill. If a mental-health professional decides someone is a potential risk to others or themselves, they would be required to alert the authorities, who would have the ability to confiscate any firearms that person may own.

Assault weapons -- defined as any rifle with a "military style" feature, such as a bayonet or a telescoping stock -- that are currently owned would be grandfathered and would have to be registered with the state. Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds.

Under Cuomo's plan, the state would have one year to set up an instant background check system for all ammunition purchases. Law enforcement would be alerted to large purchases of ammunition.

Cuomo and lawmakers have been in talks over the state's gun laws since the Dec. 14 massacre in Newtown, Conn. If the vote passes the Assembly, New York would be the first state to pass tighter firearm restrictions since the shooting.

This is what I said would demonize any gun owner the State will choose to persecute.

It only requires a "willing Mental Health Professional" to have your rights taken away, selectively. This definition of the professional will be refined to include State workers.

If you say or do anything regarding firearms that the State doesn't like, this will happen to you. It will be determined that anyone with a desire to own, carry, even try to acquire a firearm, has mental issues and is therefore banned from firearms.

It will not take long before this is the accepted norm and will justify simply defining a mental issue as a firearm desire. Gun owners will be no more.

it will not make guns illegal, just the desire for them. Watch it go down.

Iceman cHucK
01-15-2013, 14:10
Bloomberg should be prosecuted for having a loaded gun in a city park. NYPD had to disarm a weapon that had been in NYC park loaded that a child could have been hurt with in the past! This is a true story, made the news yesterday.

glock2740
01-15-2013, 14:21
NYPD had to disarm a weapon

I guess the libs are right. Guns really are walking around armed these days. Maybe they are just killing people for no reason. I've had all wrong all this time? :dunno:

:tongueout: :rofl:

Rustin
01-15-2013, 15:17
N.Y Mafia has it's foot planted firmly on the ground.

Scrappy
01-15-2013, 15:21
Next up on Bloombergers butt hole list is the Castration of all men!

Foxtrotx1
01-15-2013, 15:25
Can we stop with the ****ty misleading titles?

Fear Night
01-15-2013, 15:48
Not all semi-autos will be banned. Only semi-autos with at least one evil "assault" feature.

Sadly, this law will not be challenged since it only targets "assault" features. The other cases that were overturned by the courts had sweeping bans of entire categories, regardless of features.

Skipper Bob
01-15-2013, 18:27
Sooooo...my 10-22 bench rest target rifle with a thumb hole stock and a 10 rd. mag is now a "evil assault rifle" ???

cesaros
01-15-2013, 18:35
Sooooo...my 10-22 bench rest target rifle with a thumb hole stock and a 10 rd. mag is now a "evil assault rifle" ???

Incase you didn't know...the 22LR cartridge is the most deadly round you can legally purchase in North America. You should be ashamed for having that Baby Killer weapon in your possession!

Two_Clicks
01-15-2013, 18:45
If I'm understanding this correctly even semi auto shotguns that have a pistol grip will be considered an "assault weapon". How many folks turkey guns will now have to be registered? I'm so glad I left that state

G36shooter
01-15-2013, 19:51
Maybe GLOCK should restrict there G19's they sell to NYPD to 7rds!

G29SFWTF
01-15-2013, 19:58
Maybe GLOCK should restrict there G19's they sell to NYPD to 7rds!

Now that might actually save lives.

"All 9 Bystanders Wounded in Empire State Shooting Were Hit by Police Bullets, Not Gunman’s" :whistling:

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2013, 20:16

Yes, you'd have to register it.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2013, 20:17
Maybe some intrepid New Yorkers would sue the State of New York and take it all the way to the US Supreme Court?

Yes, I believe that is in the works.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2013, 20:21
From USA Today Article:

Magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds and manufactured before 1994, which are currently legal, would have to be turned over to authorities or sold out of state within one year. If a magazine has a capacity between eight and 10, it would have to be retrofitted to only hold seven rounds.

The 10-rounders are grandfathered but not transferable. I see nothing in the new law about needing to retrofit. You just are not allowed to put more than 7 bullets in it.

AlexHassin
01-15-2013, 21:02
NY is run by Hitler!

This is not news.

JimBean
01-15-2013, 21:24
Am I missing something? SKS and standard saigas passed through the NY nazi probe unscathed. Semiauto and they hold 10 rounds. I bet these are going to get popular be default.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-15-2013, 21:32
Am I missing something? SKS and standard saigas passed through the NY nazi probe unscathed. Semiauto and they hold 10 rounds. I bet these are going to get popular be default.

They can only have 7 bullets in the mag.

The_Gun_Guru
01-15-2013, 21:38
The Mayor of NY has A LOT of money. MONEY TALKS. In the end he will get his way. My house in Florida is under construction. I live in NJ, and I will be a resident for another year. I can't wait to move.

Awwww, man, does that mean we're going to get an influx of Northeasterner's down here?:crying:

TGG

kneedragger45
01-15-2013, 21:38
Thank you from a NYer :)

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jdavionic
01-15-2013, 21:40

Your Glock 17, 19, or whatever with magwell capable of accepting a magazine with more than 10 rds is an "Assault Weapon".

Malike
01-15-2013, 21:44

This legislation was from the governor of NY who wanted to push this through, whether legal or not to do to fuel his presidential aspirations in 2016.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Malike
01-15-2013, 21:47
Your Glock 17, 19, or whatever with magwell capable of accepting a magazine with more than 10 rds is an "Assault Weapon".

You don't need to get rid of your mags, I was talking to a legislator here, you just cannot have more than 7 rounds in it. If you are pulled over for instance and a cop decided to check your mag, you would not be in violation if there are 7 rounds in it. I hate this state, my elderly mother is the only reason I am still here, but I will not stay here when she's gone. I'll pack up the wife and kids and GTFO.

JimBean
01-15-2013, 22:02
You don't need to get rid of your mags, I was talking to a legislator here, you just cannot have more than 7 rounds in it. If you are pulled over for instance and a cop decided to check your mag, you would not be in violation if there are 7 rounds in it. I hate this state, my elderly mother is the only reason I am still here, but I will not stay here when she's gone. I'll pack up the wife and kids and GTFO.

Ok but what about a fixed magazine sks that normally holds 10. Is fixed versus detachable the same or is fixed exempt?

Soonerbldr
01-15-2013, 22:15
Well since police are no better than regular citizens, and the personal bodyguards for the Politicians are regular citizens then I am assuming they will all only have 7 round magazines as well.
I think I read where they will also be restricted to 3 firearms overall... freaking ridiculous. I pray that the good people of NY take this to the supreme court and start recall proceedings against everyone who voted for this "Law"...

glock2740
01-15-2013, 22:20
Well since police are no better than regular citizens, and the personal bodyguards for the Politicians are regular citizens then I am assuming they will all only have 7 round magazines as well.
I think I read where they will also be restricted to 3 firearms overall... freaking ridiculous. I pray that the good people of NY take this to the supreme court and start recall proceedings against everyone who voted for this "Law"...
I couldn't agree more.

Malike
01-15-2013, 22:29
Ok but what about a fixed magazine sks that normally holds 10. Is fixed versus detachable the same or is fixed exempt?

From the way it reads, if it's fixed its okay. There are no restrictions on clip size that can find. Just semi auto detachable mags.

JimBean
01-15-2013, 22:33

LOL no honest police needs more than 7 rounds.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-16-2013, 07:50
From the way it reads, if it's fixed its okay. There are no restrictions on clip size that can find. Just semi auto detachable mags.

The magazine law does not reference semi-automatics. It applies to a variety if things that holds bullets together. It would not surprise me to see the law applied to clips.

The real question I have is about internal magazines. The law explicitly does not include tube fed .22 rimfire. But can a centerfire lever action have more than 7 bullets in the internal magazine? Murky the evil law is.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-16-2013, 07:55

That would be one interpretation. And I wondered that, myself, in an earlier bill. Not just for Glocks, but any semi-auto, because the all take extended high-capacity mags.

But my read on what got passed is it is referring to magazines that attach outside of the pistol grip. Meaning, for example, a gun where the mag attaches forward of the grip.

Electrikkoolaid
01-16-2013, 08:05
"In related news, sales of PVC pipe and cat litter spiked in upstate New York this week..."

Gideon2086
01-16-2013, 08:06
As a former LEO I can tell you that I'd be SHOCKED if this law applied to police duty weapons. There are plenty of reasons police need more than 7 rounds. Just like there are plenty of reasons a civilian may need more than 7 rounds.

Malike
01-16-2013, 08:09
As a former LEO I can tell you that I'd be SHOCKED if this law applied to police duty weapons. There are plenty of reasons police need more than 7 rounds. Just like there are plenty of reasons a civilian may need more than 7 rounds.

Officer exemption for sure on the mag size. They will have to register their long arms, though.

cloudbuster
01-16-2013, 08:43
Some of the restrictions are bizarre and none of them add to the "deadliness" of the weapon, but here's a couple really bad ones.

(VIII) A SEMIAUTOMATIC VERSION OF AN AUTOMATIC RIFLE, SHOTGUN OR
FIREARM;

This one is strange and dangerous because it's numbering puts it in the semi-auto pistol section but its language is clearly not about pistols alone. This would mean many, many guns are outright illegal. Any AR-type, because it's a semi-auto version of the M4/M16. Any AK-type because the full auto AK exists. Any M14 type, etc. Arguably all Glocks, or at least the Glock 17, because a full auto version, the Glock 18 exists. Ridiculous.

(D) A REVOLVING CYLINDER SHOTGUN;

Obviously intended to stem the huge tide of deaths from the dreaded Street Sweeper. (Wait, what do you mean there never was a huge tide of Street Sweeper-related deaths? Uhhh...) Would this make the little Taurus Circuit Judge .410/.45LC illegal?

A semi-auto pistol with
(VII) A MANUFACTURED WEIGHT OF FIFTY OUNCES OR MORE WHEN THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED;

Really? Because so many people are getting killed with big ridiculous Desert Eagles? The people who wrote these laws watched too many Hollywood movies.

silvrevo
01-16-2013, 09:52
Incase you didn't know...the 22LR cartridge is the most deadly round you can legally purchase in North America. You should be ashamed for having that Baby Killer weapon in your possession!

The .22lr round is the round that kills the most because its the cheapest and most avaliable.

silvrevo
01-16-2013, 09:56
It would have also been alot more easy to just list WHAT YOU CAN HAVE!!!!

Besides trying to dish throw all this crap jargin.

So 7 round mags? Does that mean you can only have 7 rounds in your magazine, or have some kind of block off plate that limits your mag to 7 rounds?

Or does that mean, go buy a new manufactured 7 round mag?

ithaca_deerslayer
01-16-2013, 11:54
It would have also been alot more easy to just list WHAT YOU CAN HAVE!!!!

Besides trying to dish throw all this crap jargin.

So 7 round mags? Does that mean you can only have 7 rounds in your magazine, or have some kind of block off plate that limits your mag to 7 rounds?

Or does that mean, go buy a new manufactured 7 round mag?

If you own 10-round mags before the law, you can keep them and only be allowed to put 7 bullets in the mag.

If you go out to buy a gun after the law, you have to find one with 7-round mags. This is true even if pump, lever, bolt, semi-auto, whatever. You can't buy mags that hold more than 10-rounds.

G36shooter
01-16-2013, 16:11
I hope all the criminals read the memo and can count, lol.

The Fed
01-16-2013, 16:38
Lets go back to this: THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AT ANY LOCATION OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP.

Many guns are CAPABLE, even my little Kel-Tec P3AT. They sell (and I own) a 9-round magazine. It's only 9-rounds but it protrudes outside the grip so the GUN is now illegal.

Also, almost all Glocks are now illegal in NYS.

SOOO, look around. If any manufacturer MAKES an extended mag or has EVER made an extended mag, the GUN is now illegal in NYS.

NU2GLOCK22
01-16-2013, 16:50
Short and sweet there is a Dictator in the White House not a President

Lord
01-16-2013, 16:50

I would move and live in the house as it was actually being built in order to gtfo of there.

I left NY over 30 years ago and never returned.

jdavionic
01-16-2013, 16:56
Lets go back to this: THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AT ANY LOCATION OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP.

Many guns are CAPABLE, even my little Kel-Tec P3AT. They sell (and I own) a 9-round magazine. It's only 9-rounds but it protrudes outside the grip so the GUN is now illegal.

Also, almost all Glocks are now illegal in NYS.

SOOO, look around. If any manufacturer MAKES an extended mag or has EVER made an extended mag, the GUN is now illegal in NYS.

That's my interpretation....with one caveat. If you already owned the gun, you can still keep the gun but cannot have it loaded with >7 rds.

The Fed
01-16-2013, 17:02
That's my interpretation....with one caveat. If you already owned the gun, you can still keep the gun but cannot have it loaded with >7 rds.

Does that mean you now need to register it? But don't you already need a permit just to BUY a gun in NY? Don't you need to put the gun info and the serial number on the buy permit? Isn't that considered registration? I researched gun laws in NY years ago because my wife has family there and we might need to move back. Her county is very rural and conservative (forever I hope) so I can get a carry permit.

Lord
01-16-2013, 20:04
"Many guns are CAPABLE, even my little Kel-Tec P3AT. They sell (and I own) a 9-round magazine. It's only 9-rounds but it protrudes outside the grip so the GUN is now illegal."

you guys are so totally misreading that magazine attaching to the gun thing. In other words, if you can attach the magazine to the gun in say a mag-well OTHER or outside of the pistol grip. Not if it sticks out of the grip.... sheesh.