NY: Our Glock 10 round mags grandfathered... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : NY: Our Glock 10 round mags grandfathered...

ADK_40GLKr
01-15-2013, 08:43
...under the new bill under consideration in NY Senate today. Already passed the Assembly.

Here's the bill:
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

It grandfathers in our 10 round mags, but we can only load 7 rounds.

We can keep our "assault weapons" but must register them. (definition of term is expanded to 'magazine-fed semi' with ONE military-like characteristic.)

Confiscation: ONLY IF, we are, or live with someone, who has an ORDER OF PROTECTION against them, (etc.)

Polak
01-15-2013, 08:50
Yeah it says you can own the 10 round but use only 7 rounds of ammo in it. What kind of idiot wrote that?

fgutie35
01-15-2013, 09:07
Problably the same idiot who decided we need a plug in our shotguns to allow only three shells for bird hunting!:supergrin:

Dreamchaser
01-15-2013, 09:26
That is downright stupid...

Cybercowboy
01-15-2013, 09:29
Well good for you. I'd be packing my crap up and moving to another state, but that's just me.

James Dean
01-15-2013, 09:35
Make sure to put up a sign on your house reminding the criminal's they can only have 7 rounds too. Tell the police they can only have 7 too.

Roger H
01-15-2013, 09:35
Well good for you. I'd be packing my crap up and moving to another state, but that's just me.

I did just that 38 years ago for alot of other reasons. God bless Oregon

Cybercowboy
01-15-2013, 09:40
I guess you could always load 10 rounds and then if you have to use your weapon for defensive purposes and somehow only used 7 or less, you could unload them real quick before the cops showed up. Or you could just carry an empty mag and say "Hey, I just had like five in each mag so, like, totally legal here!"

Or you could just move to, say, Missouri and buy a bunch of 17 round mags or even 33 round mags and knock yourself out.

Dreamchaser
01-15-2013, 09:42
Tell the police they can only have 7 too.

That brings up a good point, do any of these rediculous bills have exemptions for law enforcement, military, etc????

Most law enforcement around here carry Glock's or Sig sauer's. Don't imagine they would be too happy with limiting the number of rounds they can carry.

clarkz71
01-15-2013, 09:44

I left NY in 1987 for Florida. Same year shall issue passed
for CCW license

District18
01-15-2013, 09:57
If I were under such restriction I'd start carrying 2-3 revolvers at any given time.

glockmaniac
01-15-2013, 10:04
I'm going to have to make an exit plan.I wish I could just pull up anchor and sail right now to a free State.All I can say is I didn't vote for these people, I didn't vote for Obama.It's a sad day for NY.I honestly feel ashamed of being associated with this filthy State.

DEADEYEGUY
01-15-2013, 10:25
From what I read in the bill you will have to put a device in your 10 rounders so they can only accomodate 7 rounds for them to be legal.

attrapereves
01-15-2013, 10:29
When will this insanity stop?!? Who comes up with this arbitrary number of 7? Next, they will try to limit it to 5, then to 3, then down to single shot until the only thing you are left with is a flintlock musket.

Just like how Chicago runs Illinois, NYC runs the entire state of NY. There are some good people in upstate NY who love shooting sports, but the big city has to ruin everything.

Roering
01-15-2013, 10:39
When will this insanity stop?!? Who comes up with this arbitrary number of 7? Next, they will try to limit it to 5, then to 3, then down to single shot until the only thing you are left with is a flintlock musket.

Just like how Chicago runs Illinois, NYC runs the entire state of NY. There are some good people in upstate NY who love shooting sports, but the big city has to ruin everything.

Sounds like a microcosm of CA

Dave.1
01-15-2013, 10:44
I agree, who comes up with the number 7 or 10 for that matter.

Are they saying that it's OK for a crazy person to shoot 7 people but not 8?

Dave

t1tan
01-15-2013, 10:52
I hope you New Yorkers defy this legislation at every turn until you can escape

Scrappy
01-15-2013, 10:52
The same idiot who tells you how much soda you can drink!
Idiots, all the laws in the world are not gonna stop criminals!
:upeyes:
Funny how the states with the strict gun laws have the most crime.
Hmm I wonder why that is.

Scrappy
01-15-2013, 10:58
I'm going to have to make an exit plan.I wish I could just pull up anchor and sail right now to a free State.All I can say is I didn't vote for these people, I didn't vote for Obama.It's a sad day for NY.I honestly feel ashamed of being associated with this filthy State.

Hey, you got a friend in PA!

I lived in NJ for long time, same crap. I got out moved over the border in PA and its like a different country here! Im so happy I got out of NJ for many reasons, as the gun laws was a big one!
I still travel to work in NJ and that's it.
They wont honor my CCW either! The state sux!
As far as NYC I never go there, I just don't feel safe in that city unarmed!

Scrappy
01-15-2013, 11:00
If I were under such restriction I'd start carrying 2-3 revolvers at any given time.

You cant carry in NYC

wacopolumbo
01-15-2013, 11:03
I suppose, this will make pistols like the XDs and Glock 36 and 39 more popluar in New York. Also, I see revolver sales soaring there...if you can get a permit to buy anything in the future. I see them dragging their heels on issuing permits to discourage folks from buying guns too.

I was born in Plattsburgh and my folks still have a summer home upstate. Sad to see the way New York is going....

ron59
01-15-2013, 11:06
Where in the bill does it say the 10 rounders are grandfathered in?

The news articles I read said that all magazines larger than 7 rounds had one year to be sold out of state, after which mere possession was a misdemeanor.

Which effectively makes many handguns inoperable.

micdude
01-15-2013, 11:07

Your not watching the news I just saw Oregon's state governor on the news saying they need stricter laws.:shocked:

I will never move to NY, I don't like feeling like a criminal for exercising my 2nd amendment rights....I even have relatives in up state NY

.38 super
01-15-2013, 11:20
....We can keep our "assault weapons" but must register them.... :wow:... I bet this is going to be in the executive order for the rest of the country and if it doesn't pass some how, they will sign the UN treaty for registration of all foreign manufactured guns...

Someone more informed to elaborate on this for me, please...?

wacopolumbo
01-15-2013, 12:06
Where in the bill does it say the 10 rounders are grandfathered in?

The news articles I read said that all magazines larger than 7 rounds had one year to be sold out of state, after which mere possession was a misdemeanor.

Which effectively makes many handguns inoperable.

Section 38 of the bill amends Penal Law � 265.00(23) to ban all large
capacity magazines that have the capacity to hold more than ten
rounds of ammunition including those that were grandfathered in under
the original assault weapons ban and creates a new ban on magazines
that hold more than seven rounds of ammunition. Magazines that can
hold more than seven rounds but not more than ten rounds and are
currently possessed will be grandfathered in, but may only contain
seven rounds of ammunition. Exceptions are made for large capacity
magazines that are curios or relics.

series1811
01-15-2013, 12:11

Just like how Chicago runs Illinois, NYC runs the entire state of NY. There are some good people in upstate NY who love shooting sports, but the big city has to ruin everything.[/

That's what we in the red states say about the blue state voters, and Obama getting elected.

ron59
01-15-2013, 12:14
Section 38 of the bill amends Penal Law � 265.00(23) to ban all large
capacity magazines that have the capacity to hold more than ten
rounds of ammunition including those that were grandfathered in under
the original assault weapons ban and creates a new ban on magazines
that hold more than seven rounds of ammunition. Magazines that can
hold more than seven rounds but not more than ten rounds and are
currently possessed will be grandfathered in, but may only contain
seven rounds of ammunition. Exceptions are made for large capacity
magazines that are curios or relics.

Gotcha. Well explained.

I read on a different forum that even *bonafide competitions* would allow 10 round magazines filled, like for IDPA or USPSA. That true also ?

Z1232K
01-15-2013, 12:30

Best answer. Vote with your feet!

I remember hearing recently about the overwhelming number of people that work in NY and made the decision to move across border into Pennsylvania and New Jersey to save money on taxes. Too bad it still costs $60 a week to cross a damn bridge just so you can get to work!

Not to hijack the thread, but if every person who works in NYC pays 3 grand a year just to cross a bridge to get to work...how does this city have such financial problems??? From what I understand the yearly revenue from this bridge alone is almost 3 BILLION DOLLARS!

mrsurfboard
01-15-2013, 12:45

Some tool in NJ is proposing just that.

Fear Night
01-15-2013, 13:04
I agree, who comes up with the number 7 or 10 for that matter.

Are they saying that it's OK for a crazy person to shoot 7 people but not 8?

Dave
It's all part of the incrementalism plan. They limit you to just enough that you won't get too upset. Previously that was 10 rounds, now it's 7.

Their end goal will be for you to have no shots. You can bet once the 7 round limit is old news they will try for 5, then 3, then 1, then 0.

glock2740
01-15-2013, 13:14
I doubt this is over and done just yet. There's no way in hell this is not going to court. How are they going to count the number of rounds in your mags? Bust down your door and search your house? Stop you for no reason on the street and pat you down? Pull you over and search your car? They just stepped in their own pile of ****. And it will be them licking it off their own feet in the end.

roger123
01-15-2013, 13:48
That brings up a good point, do any of these rediculous bills have exemptions for law enforcement, military, etc????

Most law enforcement around here carry Glock's or Sig sauer's. Don't imagine they would be too happy with limiting the number of rounds they can carry.

Why would ANYONE need more than seven. Apparently that's that's the magic number that the ruling class has determined is appropriate (yes, it's sarcasm).

What about the newer .22 revolvers that hold more than 7. Doesn't Ruger have a 10 shot? Never mind, that's a stupid question. Trying to make sense of what some dumb *ss lawmaker thinks is a good idea.

How does this happen in America??

MarkCO
01-15-2013, 14:12
There is a forum on GT for legislative and gun control issues, but they are not allowed in General Glocking!