could you do without an AR15? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : could you do without an AR15?

FiremanJim
01-15-2013, 13:39
I have a PS90 and a Colt M4
I have 2k rounds for each and about 15 mags for each.I have been debating selling the Colt due to the "craze" and the fact that I could use a few extra thousand in the bank.
My question is ,would you guys feel comfortable without an AR platform 5.56 rifle and feel adequate with a SBR PS90 with a couple of thousand rounds instead?Feeling the desire to sell while the fire is hot.....:whistling:

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 13:42
If you go through life thinking that you can't live without an AR15 (or AK, or PS90, or FAL) then something is seriously wrong with you.

If you want to sell, then sell and get your money's worth out of it now. Even if there were an assault weapon ban again, the cost isn't going to be any higher because nobody has squat for sales right now anyway. It's already a high desire/high demand item.

FiremanJim
01-15-2013, 13:45
true,I Got my PS90 a couple of years ago because I thought it was interesting rifle and a buddy had an airsoft rifle that was a copy .I just got into AR's the last year and honestly have not shot either that much.My pistols are what are fun to me.I have the PS90 SBR'd so cant really sell it easily so I will prob have it forever.

HalfHazzard
01-15-2013, 13:52
I go through life without going to church on Sunday because I don't "need" to, I have my own personal relationship God, that's all we really "need."

I also don't always vote, I don't "need" to do that because lots of other people already do that, and what does my vote really matter anyway?

I don't always retain legal counsel in court proceedings because if I'm in trouble the prosecution is probably right, so I don't really "need" a lawyer to plead guilty.

I don't really "need" adequate compensation when the government needs my land to build a highway, I'll just let them have it for all of us.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

FiremanJim
01-15-2013, 13:54
ok....

countrygun
01-15-2013, 13:59
I had one, sold it during the last "panic" for crazy money. I have a M-1s (Garands and carbines), SOCOM16, AKs and a Mini 14, don't miss an AR at all.

Rancher
01-15-2013, 14:01
Sell it if you don't need it or shoot it much and want some cash. I'm keeping mine. I don't "need" my PTR-91 however my 16 yo. son thinks he may "need" it one day so I'm keeping it for him.

To each their own.

Rancher

Andy W
01-15-2013, 14:32
Keep it just to give a middle finger to the gun grabbers. They want you to get rid of it. Don't give them the satisfaction.

CMG
01-15-2013, 14:36
I'm a believer in the SMaj Plumley school of thought (emphasis mine):

"...if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground."

rednoved
01-15-2013, 14:49
I could do without it, but I don't want to.

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 14:55
Keep it just to give a middle finger to the gun grabbers. They want you to get rid of it. Don't give them the satisfaction.

He's going to sell it to another gun owner for an ass load of money. The gun is still in circulation and he makes a ton of money on something that he neither wants nor "needs".

JimIsland
01-15-2013, 14:58
I could do without mine....as a matter of fact, if I was limited to a couple of firearms there would be a Glock 17 and a 10/22 with me. I have an AR15, Ruger mini, AK, etc..because I can and I love firearms. If I needed a little extra cheese, I would sell it in a heart beat.

Ranger1759
01-15-2013, 15:10
I know the feeling, I have a chance on a good deal for an AR, but I have a Ranch rifle/mini-14 now with several mags and about 1500 rounds, do I need an AR? Prolly not, do I want an AR? Of course I do! Who wouldn't....don't answer that....do what you feel, and pick another up after the panic is over

FiremanJim
01-15-2013, 15:40
He's going to sell it to another gun owner for an ass load of money. The gun is still in circulation and he makes a ton of money on something that he neither wants nor "needs".

You almost sound angry....I have Been thinking of selling but don't know how much.by the way ,what's an "ass load"? Sounds nasty!!

GlockFish
01-15-2013, 15:47
Guns are icky.

Bob Hafler
01-15-2013, 15:49
You bet I could, and have. Lived this long without one. Plus the mini 14 and SKS will do more for me than any AR ever will.

barth
01-15-2013, 15:56
I never owned an AR/AK. And really had no interest in one.
I'm a Pistolero myself.
If I can't carry and conceal it?
I'm really not interested.
But with this attack on our gun rights I felt compelled to to make a statement.
So I bought a FU Obummer Commemorative AK, mags and ammo.

As for your situation?
Even with 2K rounds.
That ammo may be a real issue years from now.
And we all want to keep shooting to keep our proficiency up.
My AK is chambered in 5.56/.223 just for that reason.

So If I were you and wanted to sell?
It would be the PS90 and 2K of ammo. Not the AR

RyanBDawg
01-15-2013, 16:05
I was planning on buying an AR sometime this year, but this whole mess speed up my purchase.

I was lucky to find one that wasn't being price gouged!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 16:13
I never owned an AR/AK. And really had no interest in one.
I'm a Pistolero myself.
If I can't carry and conceal it?
I'm really not interested.

That's why the trench coat was invented.

But with this attack on our gun rights I felt compelled to to make a statement.
So I bought a FU Obummer Commemorative AK, mags and ammo.

That's why I bought the latest Colt. I didn't want one before then.

As for your situation?
Even with 2K rounds.
That ammo may be a real issue years from now.
And we all want to keep shooting to keep our proficiency up.
My AK is chambered in 5.56/.223 just for that reason.

So If I were to sell?
It would be the PS90 and 2K of ammo.

Get into reloading.

number1gun
01-15-2013, 16:13
Of course I can live with out it. I have a good redneck friend that put it in perspective.
" if things get so bad that I really think I need a gun like that.. I will just get my scoped hunting rifle and get what I need."

FiremanJim
01-15-2013, 16:14
oh yeah!

barth
01-15-2013, 16:18
That's why the trench coat was invented.

Tropical environments and trench coats don't work.

vista461
01-15-2013, 16:30
I may have to do without one now. I ain't paying these prices. For crying out loud I see people asking $1000 for a WASR on armslist around here. I paid less than $300 for mine new.

Annhl8rX
01-15-2013, 16:41
I bought one three or four years ago. I traded it about a year and a half ago for a dirt bike (that was worth more than twice as much as the AR). I haven't replaced it. Yeah, I can live without one.

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 17:03
Tropical environments and trench coats don't work.

Get a linen trench coat. With vents.

wjv
01-15-2013, 17:06
Only reason I own an AR and a Mini-14 is because of Bill Clinton. . .

I much prefer my lever guns and revolvers. But when the AssHats in DC start talking restrictions. . . I'm happy I own them.

Jason D
01-15-2013, 17:09
Just because I could live without my balls, doesn't mean I would sell them.

fnfalman
01-15-2013, 17:10
Just because I could live without my balls, doesn't mean I would sell them.

Maybe you wouldn't, but I would if the price is high enough. Besides I'd only need one ball for recreational purposes.

mcole
01-15-2013, 17:48
well,i suppose i could fall back to my mini-14, but would rather not. mcole

byf43
01-15-2013, 18:01
Yes, I could live without my AR, but, I'm not selling it. . . er. . . them.

One is new, unfired. Ordered it a few days before the election.
Had some extra $$$ and figured "WTH?? Why not?"

I've had some BIG offers for it. Not for sale.

My AR-HBAR is VERY accurate. Not for sale.
I bought my AR to punch holes in paper, and that's what I'll continue to do.

CajunBass
01-15-2013, 18:05
I've gotten along quite well without one all these years. I don't seen any reason to get one now.

owl6roll
01-15-2013, 18:20
Nope.

glock2740
01-15-2013, 18:47
I go through life without going to church on Sunday because I don't "need" to, I have my own personal relationship God, that's all we really "need."

I also don't always vote, I don't "need" to do that because lots of other people already do that, and what does my vote really matter anyway?

I don't always retain legal counsel in court proceedings because if I'm in trouble the prosecution is probably right, so I don't really "need" a lawyer to plead guilty.

I don't really "need" adequate compensation when the government needs my land to build a highway, I'll just let them have it for all of us.

Wow. That makes sooo much sense. Thanks for posting. :upeyes:........:crazy:

FiremanJim
01-15-2013, 18:48
To him it was some deep ****....stepped back and thought to himself"I'm a damn poet!"

DFin
01-15-2013, 18:59
Maybe, but why chance it? Even if the probability of needing it is very slight I want to have it.

Bren
01-15-2013, 19:24
I was just thinking I'd probably trade my AR for a good guitar. Maybe I should sell it during the frenzy and put the money into a Les Paul or something.

G36shooter
01-15-2013, 19:41
I do like the AR platform and I have owned one, I now have a Mini 14 ranch rifle, will do for me what an AR will, plus it is easier to maintain.

barth
01-15-2013, 19:49
Get a linen trench coat. With vents.

I have a long London Fog raincoat
that's actually is wearable in the 75 deg winter.
But wearing it attracts attention like an air raid siren.

I've tried and it does not work.

This is my idea of heavy artillery for tropical concealed carry.
An AR15 I can do without. But I've got to have my HK45C.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo41/fa/bc/0951dcad5465__1351605817000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

countrygun
01-15-2013, 20:03
I was just thinking I'd probably trade my AR for a good guitar. Maybe I should sell it during the frenzy and put the money into a Les Paul or something.

If you run into my old recording model with the natural brown top let me know

In the meantime I'll take a gold top, trapeze tailpiece.

HexHead
01-15-2013, 20:06
If things get so bad I need an AR, they'll be plenty of them laying around.

Bruce M
01-15-2013, 20:16
Get a linen trench coat. With vents.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I lived fine without an AR for half a century or so. I like it but for my urban use I continue to like a shotgun more.

HAMMERHEAD
01-15-2013, 20:40
Politics aside, never owned one, never will. Strictly a personal choice.

CMG
01-15-2013, 20:50
If things get so bad I need an AR, they'll be plenty of them laying around.

Failing to provide the correct attribution will cost you 30 points... :shocked:

deadmanglocking
01-15-2013, 20:53
Yea, I can do fine without an AR. I've got my AK, glocks, and shotguns. They will do just fine.

J-Pat
01-15-2013, 21:03
Do I "need" an AR? - No - if I do I'll be the first to admit that I am in way over my head if I "need" it. Yet in that situation, I wouldn't want anything less.

However-

I own one for both sporting, artistic and political reasons. I target shoot on the weekends. The AR15 is also a pinnacle of Americana. It symbolizes modernity in a post Vietnam era. It is arguably in the running as "America's Gun" and has evolved right with this fine nation. The lines on a properly built AR15 or 1911 are (in my opinion) as beautiful as a Manet or Velázquez. Also, it happens to piss a lot of politicians off. I like it most for the latter reason.

ctfireman
01-15-2013, 21:09
I've been considering selling my arsenal AK 74 since i'll still have my AR but i dunno....it's so damn pretty (& unfired).

20South
01-15-2013, 21:11
Ive been having to live without my AR since the canoe trip when it warmed up a bit back. It sucks, but I get by.

Deaf Smith
01-15-2013, 21:22
I have 2k rounds for each and about 15 mags for each.I have been debating selling the Colt due to the "craze" and the fact that I could use a few extra thousand in the bank.
My question is ,would you guys feel comfortable without an AR platform 5.56 rifle and feel adequate with a SBR PS90 with a couple of thousand rounds instead?Feeling the desire to sell while the fire is hot.....:whistling:

Question is, can the U.S. ARMY go without one? Could our police go without one.

See the thing is the 2nd Amendment was to keep the citizens competitive with what the government had so if we had to take the government back from them we could. That is why we were supposed to have the same basic arms and their ownership and transportation not be INFRINGED.

When the military and police decide to go back to six shot revolvers and five shot bolt action rifles then I'll gladly do the same. But we all know that isn't going to happen.

Deaf

HAMMERHEAD
01-15-2013, 21:51
I think owning an AR or AK with full cap mags is a statement to the world that you are prepared to kill as many people as possible in a short time.

I'll defend your right to make that statement to the bitter end, but that is not my statement.

deadmanglocking
01-15-2013, 21:58
I think owning an AR or AK with full cap mags is a statement to the world that you are prepared to kill as many people as possible in a short time.

I'll defend your right to make that statement to the bitter end, but that is not my statement.

Well brother, I'll defend your right to make that statement with my high cap mags till the bitter end. I defend your right,please defend mine. Write your reps

Wyoming
01-15-2013, 22:00
I guess I could since I own three AR 10's, Three FAL's, three M1A's all in 308.

I like the little guns so don't plan to give up any of my AR 15's.:whistling:

HAMMERHEAD
01-15-2013, 22:02
Well brother, I'll defend your right to make that statement with my high cap mags till the bitter end. I defend your right,please defend mine. Write your reps
You got it.

ViennaGambit
01-15-2013, 22:04
If you need the cash and aren't using it, sell it!

I just sold two complete uppers and more than doubled my money on each.

I'm getting back into lever guns.

HAMMERHEAD
01-15-2013, 22:25

In the spirit of hanging together, it's Done.

For those in SE-MN the website for Tim Walz is http://walz.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
Will do it again with my Senators, Al Franken (how did that happen?) and Amy Klobuchar (no better).

Hamilton Burger
01-15-2013, 22:45
Dang! What flavor Kool-Aid are y'all drinkin? Stay away from the grape...

Hamilton Burger
01-15-2013, 22:49
Sadly, I sold my AR before all this fuss started. I will build another when it blows over.

Pepiot
01-15-2013, 22:50
Yes, I'll take my sks any day over an AR15

sappy13
01-15-2013, 23:13
I could live without it. I rarely get to shoot it. I'm not planning to get rid of it though. I'd like to have at least one as a just in case.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Firefightermdc
01-15-2013, 23:34
Couldnt live without mine, I use it for almost everything cept duck hunting
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

par4buffett
01-15-2013, 23:44
If you have to do without your AR due to new ban laws OR executive edicts, consider that hose same laws will likely ban your Ruger Mini 14, ruger .22, and 8 round mags for your Colt.45 auto magazines. And Walther P22 mags. M1 Garand, M1Carbine, etc.

Do without anything like those? I doubt it.

Where does it end?

Since NY state has banned mags over 7 rounds, while that apply to 8 and 10 round revolvers? Or just their cylinders? Lol.

WarEagle32
01-16-2013, 00:05
HELL NO!!! I couldn't live without at least one. I have 3. Throwing all the BS out the window about the "assault weapons" my Daniel Defense V5 M4 with its Aimpoint and all the bells and whistles is my favorite gun. Hands down!! I love target shooting it, having it for HD , and tons of other reasons. It is hyper-accurate and I love shooting it more than any gun that Ive ever shot, and I have been shooting for years. Bottom line for no specific reason I just out right love having it! I will keep that gun they put me in the ground!

seamaster
01-16-2013, 00:22
I could but they are very nice handling rifles.

GNice4U
01-16-2013, 01:19
Absolutely could do without my AR...but it puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it. Hard to put a price tag on happiness and enjoyment.

VonHoffmann
01-16-2013, 14:58
I have 2 AR's that sit in my gun safe along with 24 mags, extra mag springs and a bunch of ammo.

I never really shoot them and don't "need" them on a daily basis. I hope i never will "need" them.

But it is mighty comforting knowing that they are there if I ever really do "need" them.

Bren
01-16-2013, 15:27
Sadly, I sold my AR before all this fuss started. I will build another when it blows over.

Yep, I sold a good one I assembled myself, at a small loss, before the hysteria. I needed some cash and wanted to keep my M&P15A. Wish I had it to take to the gun shows the last couple of weeks.

RWBlue
01-16-2013, 15:46
"Need" has very little to do with it.

Realistically, most people including myself could get by with very little in terms of guns. Maybe a G19 and a bolt action hunting rifle and a 12 shotgun.

Want is a different story. During the last ban, the great thing about the AR-15 was that it is like a Barbi doll. You can dress it up this way today and dress it up a different way tomorrow. I am thinking about moving away from the AR platform as my SHTF rifle, but ....I don't really want to give up any of the fun side of the AR-15.

NITE SITE 53
01-16-2013, 16:02
Traded in my AR15 weeks before craze for a Gen 4 19. I dot knock AR15s but I like the 19 more.

GWG19
01-16-2013, 19:28
You almost sound angry....I have Been thinking of selling but don't know how much.by the way ,what's an "ass load"? Sounds nasty!!

Ass load of money? Should be enough to fill up your underwear and make your pants saggy.:whistling:

Foxtrotx1
01-16-2013, 19:30
true,I Got my PS90 a couple of years ago because I thought it was interesting rifle and a buddy had an airsoft rifle that was a copy .I just got into AR's the last year and honestly have not shot either that much.My pistols are what are fun to me.I have the PS90 SBR'd so cant really sell it easily so I will prob have it forever.

SBR the ps90 if you have the cash. Get a suppressor for it. You will never have had so much fun.

FiremanJim
01-16-2013, 19:32
It's an SBR already

michael e
01-16-2013, 19:34
Could I , sure. But when I was a kid I loved the look of the AR, when I got old enought to buy one I did. I wanted it, I worked hard to save the money up for it and I will be keeping it.

mgentry
01-17-2013, 19:26
If the SHTF for any number of scenarios, how safe will you feel with just a pistol. I was always taught that you use a pistol to fight to get to your rifle. Keep your AR.

Draggin90
01-17-2013, 22:48
These prices are out of hand. At this rate I am going to wait another month or so and sell my AR to buy a bigger house.

vtbluegrass
01-18-2013, 15:36
I had to have my first AR then I didnt shoot it much so I sold it for a nice Savage 99. The a few years I had to have another and then I didn't shoot it often so I am selling again.
So yes you can blissfully live without one as long as you can control the impulse to have one in the collection.

MadMonkey
01-18-2013, 15:48
Could I? Sure. Will I choose not to? No...

fnfalman
01-18-2013, 16:27
Dammit, is it too late to sell my pre-ban Colts for $4000?

Andy W
01-18-2013, 17:23
Honestly I bought a DPMS AR-15 last Christmas 2011for a little over $600 used. I've put less than 200 rounds through it. I just don't have a good place to shoot it, at least not the way they are meant to be shot. I'm tempted to try and sell it for around $1800, then use the money for another pistol and a class or something. I know what I said earlier in this thread but falman has a good point.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Andy W
01-18-2013, 17:36
I have 2 AR's that sit in my gun safe along with 24 mags, extra mag springs and a bunch of ammo.

I never really shoot them and don't "need" them on a daily basis. I hope i never will "need" them.

But it is mighty comforting knowing that they are there if I ever really do "need" them.

ARs do make good home defense weapons but I think if you ever "need" all the firepower they can offer, having to fire off a 30 round mag and reload, etc, you better have a few of your buddies with you who are similarly armed, or you will probably be dead. Or famous lol.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CBennett
01-18-2013, 18:37
Of cousre, I dont have a AR but a AK74 im actively thinking of selling it and almost 2000 rds ammo and 6 mags just to fund something "different" if I sell it I will "only" have a M1 garand for a centerfire rifle..but am I thinking about it anyways..YUP :)

k594
01-18-2013, 21:00
i have a stag arms that sits and collects dust in my safe, would i miss it ? maybe... could i live with out it? sure. will i sell it?? no

bac1023
01-18-2013, 21:20
I do without them every day.

Reissman
01-18-2013, 22:39
No...

Haldor
01-18-2013, 22:59

The Colt is selling at a bigger premium % than the PS90. I just picked up a new in the box PS90 last week end for $2K. That is not a lot more than they were going for a couple of months ago.

Colts are at least double their pre-craze price.

Only potential downside is ammo. Unlike 5.56 you have very limited sources of supply for 5.7x28. I managed to find 500 rounds of SS195 (older, hotter version) yesterday, but it was a lot higher priced than I had hoped to find (right at $1 per round). 5.56 x 45 is going to come back down in price, I am not so sure about 5.7x28.

Blast
01-18-2013, 23:05
I could do without, but I would always want the option to have one.

bac1023
01-19-2013, 08:11
I could do without, but I would always want the option to have one.

I guess that's how I feel as well...

Warp
01-19-2013, 11:31

Of course I could. But I'd rather not.

And I'd rather the AR than the PS90. Parts, accessories, ammo, etc are FAR too common to pass up for something as niche as a PS90

Haldor
01-21-2013, 08:28
After shooting my PS90 yesterday I have to say I would be just fine with giving up the AR. What a nice weapon the PS90 is. Very little recoil. Light (6.5lb with full mag, scope and weapon light). Very handy. It is hard to imagine a better weapon for use indoors. Using a weapon light as a pointer you could easily use it one handed which means the off hand could be used to open doors, fend of close attackers etc.

I am putting in a Form 1 application to the ATF to convert it to a short barrel rifle. That would make it the ultimate close quarters battle weapon.

brisk21
01-21-2013, 09:06
Yeah I could live without mine. I don't really shoot it too much anyway. Im more of a handgun person. Ive thought about selling it for more handguns, but I know I'd regret it someday.

Stevekozak
01-21-2013, 12:17
I could live without mine. I have other rifles I like a lot more. Right now I choose not to live without it. It is a good "just in case weapon" and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot in practice. I have never loved it and doubt I ever will, but I am happy that I have it.

drew4691
01-21-2013, 20:11
Having spent 5 years in the Army, the AR15 platform is the rifle that I'm the most trained on. It is an extension of me... Could I go without it, sure, but I'd rather give up something else to keep it.... (like my AK) if I HAD to give one up.

arclight610
01-21-2013, 20:27
I sold all mine and converted them to 1911s and revolvers. I will buy again when prices drop. I really only kept an A2 clone for nostalgia purposes.

carbuncle
01-21-2013, 21:03
I've been doing without one for 42 years, I can go the rest of the distance if necessary. But I'd like the option to buy one.

Nakanokalronin
01-22-2013, 10:15
Everyone could do with out all types of firearms really. I have a few ARs that I could do without, but I don't want to so that's why I'll keep them instead of making a profit. The AR is one of the most customizable rifles out there that can be tailored to the users needs/wants which is also one of the things I like about 1911s. I even have an AR grip where you put 1911 panels on it ,but the 1911 grip angle dosn't feel right on it. :whistling:

mjkeat
01-22-2013, 10:53
I could do w/o an AR but why limit my ability to preserve life.

John_NJ
01-22-2013, 18:22
I can live without an AR. But if you told me I couldn't buy one then I could not!!!

sandblaster
01-23-2013, 07:21
There is now way I could live without my AR. I am currently on my eighth deployment since 9/11 and during that period of time I have slept with, eaten with, showered with, and carried in five countries a M series rifle (M16A2, M16AA4, M4) and I am not going to quit once I return home.

HexHead
01-23-2013, 07:31
I'm a believer in the SMaj Plumley school of thought (emphasis mine):

"...if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground."

Same here. And no, I don't need an AR, I'm an AK guy.

Warp
01-23-2013, 09:53
There is now way I could live without my AR. I am currently on my eighth deployment since 9/11 and during that period of time I have slept with, eaten with, showered with, and carried in five countries a M series rifle (M16A2, M16AA4, M4) and I am not going to quit once I return home.

Thank you for your service.

I Shooter
01-23-2013, 11:09
I was never big into ARs. My son got me the one I have and that is why I am not selling it.

I would have been happier with a M14 or a M1. If I had bought a new rifle it would have been a turn bolt or a single shot. There are so many other rifles and hand guns I would have rather had than a AR.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see any thing wrong with the AR or the AK for that matter. I just never got into them like I have turn bolts and single shots.

My son is the one that got me into Glocks and I think they are great. If it hadn't been for him I would have never gotten one. Now I have three,( 36,30, and 21) and am thinking about getting a 9mm Glock. So it isn't that I just like older arms. Then that's just me.