Looking to buy a lever action [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a lever action

DairyLandShooter
01-15-2013, 13:47
Hello all, I have recently decided to add another firearm to my collection. I currently have a Moss 590 special purpose, as well as a glock 19 gen 3.

I am looking at buying a lever action rifle, currently trying to decide between a marlin 336 30-30 or a marlin "guide gun" in 45-70. I know that remington has purchased marlin and people are having issues. Can anybody give me some solid advice on this issue, is remington getting their act together? or should i look at a different maker all together? i like the side loading function of the rifle. (I don't want a henry) Please, only post if you have real experience with these rifles.

faawrenchbndr
01-15-2013, 13:55
I can not recommend a post Rem model Marlin. I had a 1894c
that was an utter POS. Stock cracked within the 1st box shot.
It had a terrible feeding problem, jammed up a lot, not fun.
I had all kinds of issues with a .357. I sold it when I found a
Pre Rem 1894p model in 44 Mag. Buyer was informed of the
feeding issues, he was a smith & had no issues screwing with it

I've been very happy with the 1894p

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/GI%20No%20Name/78b36c332aed3e23ae9642970c6b1494.jpg

Berto
01-15-2013, 13:57
Nothing wrong with a Win model 94 either.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3356/win94001.jpg

Ranger1759
01-15-2013, 14:04
I have 2... Both are marlin....I have the guide gun in .444 and love the round...not quit as harsh as the 45-70....good brush gun....I know it's over kill, but I've taken several deer in PA with it...all I came say is it will pile them up where they stand!

The second is 357/38 with the micro groove rifling....I really like this one for its weight and capacity...it will hold 10 .357's or 13 .38's and once again, have taken several deer with this one....range is a little limited, but works well for me....

L Pete
01-15-2013, 14:12
With the 30-30, the ammo price is right. I'd go with a Marlin. Look for a used one that is a pre-Remington gun. There are plenty of them out there, and they usually quite good quality. To determine if they're made by Marlin or Remington, just look for a "JM" proof mark on the barrel just in front of the receiver. That verifies it as a true Marlin. If it has a "REP" mark on the barrel, it was made by Remington, and may or may not work alright.

Good luck

countrygun
01-15-2013, 14:13
Well, I hope, having grown up under western skies and owning not only the Marlins in question but Winchester as well, I will be seen as qualified to answer your question. actually it requires several answers.

I would not buy new due to quality issues and a hatred for the "lawyer safety", I refuse to encourage the dumbing down of America. Furthermore they do nothing to overcome the power of human stupidity and those who can't handle the guns the way they were designed should just keep their mitts off things that go "Bang"

The cartridges in question are vastly different in both ballistics and effect. If I were attacked by or were hunting a large bear I would choose the 45/70, if I thought I would be in a "situation" with an unknown number of human opponents I would opt for the 30-30. It is all a matter of purpose.

If I were taking advantage of the used market and I had neither and were unclears as to what my need might be, I would not pass up a marlin in .35 Remington. Another round I am familiar with. It provides a bit of both worlds in a 30-30 sized package. They are difficult to find if you are looking for them but it seems that folks who aren't looking find them all the time, so they tell me.

If you intend to shoot a lot and have less than deep pockets the 30-30 is much more economical. mastering the 45-70, to a useable level, can be quite expensive. For the most part, unless big ursines or elk are on the menu the 30-30 can be 'learned" and a stock of ammo put back with the same amount of outlay that would just be getting you started with the 45/70. Naturally the .35 Remington sits between the two in cost, but more towards the 45/70 level.