Boycotting of Gun Free Businesses [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boycotting of Gun Free Businesses

Bodyarmorguy
01-15-2013, 19:14
One of our local movie theaters was recently acquired by Carmike Theaters. My girlfriend and I were attending to see Zero Dark Thirty when I notice a sign in their window stating that (paraphrased) regardless if you have a concealed weapons permit, no guns are allowed on the premises.

Movie theaters are not one of the specific places listed in Florida Statutes as a no carry zone. If you are caught with one all they can do is ask you to leave (refusal to do so would constitute armed trespassing).

I plan to print some business cards with some specific language on it. I am going to give them to several of my friends and ask that each time they are in the area to stop at the theater, act as if they are going to buy a ticket, then stop, ask for the manager, give them a card, inform them that I will be patronizing their competitors and then leave. The specific language on the card will read:

I am a Concealed Weapons Permit Holder
I Have Never Been Convicted of a Felony
I Have Never Been Convicted of a Crime of Violence
I Have Never Been Convicted of Domestic Violence
I Am Not Addicted to Or Use Illegal Drugs
I am Not Under Indictment or a Fugitive From Justice
I Have Passed Both State and Federal Background Checks
How Much Do You Know About Your Other Customers?

SJ 40
01-15-2013, 19:21
That would be a theater I would never go to ,they would never get a dime of my money !
SJ 40

RJ's Guns
01-15-2013, 21:10
I will not patronize businesses with anti-gun policies. I hope that they wither on the vine and go out of business.

RJ

BenjiEDF
01-15-2013, 21:18
I really like the verbage you use on the business card. That's a good message.

Drain You
01-15-2013, 21:30
The fuzz will be along shortly to remind us that having a conceal carry permit doesn't make you trustworthy.

Donn57
01-15-2013, 21:58
The fuzz will be along shortly to remind us that having a conceal carry permit doesn't make you trustworthy.

And they would be right.

Texas357
01-16-2013, 05:02
Having a badge doesnt make you trustworthy either. Just means you haven't been convicted of anything yet.

Pilotdude3407
01-16-2013, 05:05
Minus illegal places posted in the law, I just CCW whenever I go. I don't open carry and am very careful to dress appropriately so as not to reveal my weapon. I don't even read the sign. It's a waste of paper to me.

The Fed
01-16-2013, 05:19
One of our local movie theaters was recently acquired by Carmike Theaters. My girlfriend and I were attending to see Zero Dark Thirty when I notice a sign in their window stating that (paraphrased) regardless if you have a concealed weapons permit, no guns are allowed on the premises.

Movie theaters are not one of the specific places listed in Florida Statutes as a no carry zone. If you are caught with one all they can do is ask you to leave (refusal to do so would constitute armed trespassing).

I plan to print some business cards with some specific language on it. I am going to give them to several of my friends and ask that each time they are in the area to stop at the theater, act as if they are going to buy a ticket, then stop, ask for the manager, give them a card, inform them that I will be patronizing their competitors and then leave. The specific language on the card will read:

I am a Concealed Weapons Permit Holder
I Have Never Been Convicted of a Felony
I Have Never Been Convicted of a Crime of Violence
I Have Never Been Convicted of Domestic Violence
I Am Not Addicted to Or Use Illegal Drugs
I am Not Under Indictment or a Fugitive From Justice
I Have Passed Both State and Federal Background Checks
How Much Do You Know About Your Other Customers?

You might be unpleasantly surprised if you look at the "Code of Conduct" signs posted in many if not all malls, whether open or enclosed. Look for signs on the walls either just inside the entrances or on portable or permanent signage outside. I'm pretty sure they all will specify no weapons allowed. Of course, in Florida security can only ask you to leave if discovered. Perhaps they spotted me the day, because a mall security cop near their food court followed me around just about the entire time even though I'm only a few years away from being eligible for Medicare and had my similarly aged wife with me. Goes to show you how smart they are - following me instead of the obvious gangbangers wearing gang colors just because I was wearing my shirttails out and a big NRA pin on my lapel. The last time I was there, this is what was going through my mind after I saw the bangers - I need a bigger gun. These kids were so big no mall cop would have been able to wrestle them down to the ground. Does this mean you never set foot in a mall? That's up to you.

The Fed
01-16-2013, 05:28
And why are you involving your friends? Giving a card like that to the movie theater manager in the current climate? He has a RADIO and will immediately call his security. They all have people, even though you don't see them. If your friends have weapons on them they will be detained, the police or sheriff will be summoned, and they will be formally trespassed. They don't need to ask you to leave and wait to see if you come back since you just gave them cause to file on you. You'll see how much that permit means then. You'll be lucky if they don't ask the DoA to pull it

If you want to make a point, do it yourself.

Bill Lumberg
01-16-2013, 07:34
He's involving his friends because he's a police officer, and he wouldn't be very one very much longer handing out cards like that to local businesses.

Lord
01-16-2013, 07:49

[/B]

First, I like the verbiage of the card. If you don't mind, I would like to use it as well.

Second, here in TX if their sign doesn't comply with 30.06 law, then it's not a valid sign that would exclude me as a CHL holder for carrying there. That being said, however, it shouldn't matter to you one way or the other (the sign that is).

Concealed means concealed. They should never know you carried there unless you were forced to defend yourself or someone else. I've had people rant and rave about people who carry guns and the "mentality" of CHL holders, all while not knowing that I was standing right next to them armed, with two spare magazines on me. Don't hate them, they're entitled. Pity them; you're entitled.

Bill Lumberg
01-16-2013, 08:02
Because it's brilliant for a permittee to carry a firearm in a clearly posted movie theater, especially while the joker trial is in the news. Brilliant!

Lior
01-16-2013, 08:09
Another reason to wait for the DVD to come out.

Spiffums
01-16-2013, 08:22
Because it's brilliant for a permittee to carry a firearm in a clearly posted movie theater, especially while the joker trial is in the news. Brilliant!

You mean because it might scare some soccer mom if she sees a lump.........or because somebody might watch Court TV and decide it's a wonderful idea to copycat the joker that's on trial?

Bill Lumberg
01-16-2013, 11:16
Because someone detected with a gun in a posted place who is not a cop is likely (not incorrectly) to be presumed to be a fool, a threat, or both.

cajun_chooter
01-16-2013, 14:03
if i attempt to enter a business (any business) and they ban CCW carry.. i simply turn around and leave.. there at too many American values businesses to patronize the commie ones..

Lord
01-16-2013, 14:11
Because someone detected with a gun in a posted place who is not a cop is likely (not incorrectly) to be presumed to be a fool, a threat, or both.

Well, genius... here in TX, you can post a sign on the door to any establishment that reads: WE DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO CARRY A FIREARM ON THESE PREMISES> DO NOT ENTER IF YOU HAVE A GUN WITH YOU, EVEN IF YOU'RE A CHL HOLDER. in such a manner as that it can't be missed....

Do you know what that means to a legally carrying CHL holder? Nothing. If the sign does not conform to 30.06, the a legally carrying CHL holder can ignore it and enter the premises and guess what... if he's outed, all they can do is ask him to leave. only when he refuses to leave is he committing a crime. Otherwise, he can enter, watch the movie, and leave knowing that he did not break the law in any way.

RWBlue
01-16-2013, 14:55
Be sure to write your local news paper with concern about how all those unarmed victims are just sitting there waiting for an insane person come kill them like the Jews were to Hitler.

Ryobi
01-17-2013, 04:33
Anyone with an I.Q. greater than room temp knows its not a bright move to carry where posted, period. Trying to see what you can get away with rather than complying with the owner/establishments clearly indicated wishes is behaving more like a criminal than like a responsible citizen. Well, genius... here in TX, you can post a sign on the door to any establishment that reads: WE DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO CARRY A FIREARM ON THESE PREMISES> DO NOT ENTER IF YOU HAVE A GUN WITH YOU, EVEN IF YOU'RE A CHL HOLDER. in such a manner as that it can't be missed....

Do you know what that means to a legally carrying CHL holder? Nothing. If the sign does not conform to 30.06, the a legally carrying CHL holder can ignore it and enter the premises and guess what... if he's outed, all they can do is ask him to leave. only when he refuses to leave is he committing a crime. Otherwise, he can enter, watch the movie, and leave knowing that he did not break the law in any way.

willy1094
01-17-2013, 04:48
Anyone with an I.Q. greater than room temp knows its not a bright move to carry where posted, period. Trying to see what you can get away with rather than complying with the owner/establishments clearly indicated wishes is behaving more like a criminal than like a responsible citizen.

Kentucky is one state were speeding is 100 times the criminal activity that carrying in a posted theater is. Who doesn't speed (and yes, 5 over is speeding)? CCW in a theater (know you local laws) is like sneaking food into those theaters that have signage saying "do not bring in outside food". Bring it in and they can ask you to leave, no refund required.

Bruce M
01-17-2013, 05:54
I hope I never get to the point in my life where the primary question is "is it not against the law to do this" rather than asking myself "is this the right thing to do?"

willy1094
01-17-2013, 06:22
LOL. If a person's biggest moral infraction is concealing a weapon ANYWHERE they are not legally prohibited from it I'd would nominate them for citizen of the year! Where is that key to the city? I hope you have never carried a knife into a posted business.

Glockrunner
01-17-2013, 06:35
First off, I have found that dealing with the local manager is most always useless. They can pass the buck by making several statements to the effect that it isn't their personal policy, but that they just have to enforce the policy.

Dealing with the OWNER of the business is much better and attempts to educate them may get the signage removed. And when I say educate, I don't mean teach them the law!

Just inform them on how much busniess you preceive they are losing and the number of people that you know (like the local anti gun sign group) that are not attending the movies at their business.

Afterall, like private citizens they too do have the right to post against CWP holders and have the right to refuse their money from entering their pockets.

When you approach the manager for the owners name and address or a point of contact: Be polite. If asked why, be brief. They have heard it before.

LEOson
01-17-2013, 08:45

And this is why I love living in Missouri. Here those gun buster signs have no force of law. I can ignore them all day long and the only thing they can do is ask me to leave. If that happens, I'll gladly walk out and never go back to that place of business.

SPIN2010
01-17-2013, 08:50
Great idea in nature but, I am sure that kid working at the theater will put that card right where he has to take it out at closing time.

SCmasterblaster
01-17-2013, 10:51
I will not patronize businesses with anti-gun policies. I hope that they wither on the vine and go out of business.

RJ

Amen, brother. :cool:

The Fed
01-17-2013, 11:05
In Florida a sign has no weight of law. But if you're discovered you can be asked to leave and store your gun outside the store in the parking lot.

The Fed
01-17-2013, 11:06
He's involving his friends because he's a police officer, and he wouldn't be very one very much longer handing out cards like that to local businesses.

So it's OK for his friends to be blackballed?

The Fed
01-17-2013, 11:12
And I can see a manager calling the police because you gave them a card. You just intimated you have a gun on you and you're flaunting it. They can say they were threatened by the the language. Whom do you think the police will believe - a theater owner, or you?

Lord
01-17-2013, 12:53
Anyone with an I.Q. greater than room temp knows its not a bright move to carry where posted, period. Trying to see what you can get away with rather than complying with the owner/establishments clearly indicated wishes is behaving more like a criminal than like a responsible citizen.

It's not a matter of seeing what you can get away with. The fact is that it's in the law. If you don't have a properly formatted, correctly worded, and properly placed 30.06 sign posted, then nothing else you post, even if it's a big red circle with red line through superimposed over a gun, will mean nothing to a legally carrying and properly licensed CHL holder (here in TX). Period. End. Simple as that. If they properly post, I don't carry there, or won't go there. i stay within the law. but if they improperly post, I don't go out of my way to disarm since I am not breaking any laws regardless of who else wants what. Soap box it all you want to and be "holier than thou" because. In this particular case, the law sides with me. No 30.06, no verbal notification to me, no written letter specifically to me, then there's no restriction on me carrying there (unless it's predetermined to be gun free or a 51% establishment).

SCmasterblaster
01-17-2013, 13:06
It's not a matter of seeing what you can get away with. The fact is that it's in the law. If you don't have a properly formatted, correctly worded, and properly placed 30.06 sign posted, then nothing else you post, even if it's a big red circle with red line through superimposed over a gun, will mean nothing to a legally carrying and properly licensed CHL holder (here in TX). Period. End. Simple as that. If they properly post, I don't carry there, or won't go there. i stay within the law. but if they improperly post, I don't go out of my way to disarm since I am not breaking any laws regardless of who else wants what. Soap box it all you want to and be "holier than thou" because. In this particular case, the law sides with me. No 30.06, no verbal notification to me, no written letter specifically to me, then there's no restriction on me carrying there (unless it's predetermined to be gun free or a 51% establishment).

Good post, brother. :cool:

allegro
01-17-2013, 21:10
Rolled into the Applebee's in Millington TN this evening. Waiting to be seated, my wife sees the sign that says: "No Firearms Permitted." I motioned for her to leave and off we went.

I know many of the people that run this restaurant and will be contacting them tomorrow to express my displeasure for their choices.

Millington is just north of Memphis TN, and the Bureau of Personnel Headquarters for the US Navy.

Go figure this one ?????

Glockrunner
01-18-2013, 04:55
Seems odd that she would see the sign after sitting down, but who knows? Usually it is posted somewhere on a entry door so you won't become a criminal simply by entering the building.

Franchises may be owed by seperate enities and your friends may have no pull there but I wish you the best.

Bill Lumberg
01-18-2013, 05:38
I was there (Millington) for a US Attorney's/Law Enforcement conference a few years ago. I wasn't clear what remaining military function it had. Lecture hall was 60 degrees the entire time. Smart move on Applebee's. They don't deserve your money. Rolled into the Applebee's in Millington TN this evening. Waiting to be seated, my wife sees the sign that says: "No Firearms Permitted." I motioned for her to leave and off we went.

I know many of the people that run this restaurant and will be contacting them tomorrow to express my displeasure for their choices.

Millington is just north of Memphis TN, and the Bureau of Personnel Headquarters for the US Navy.

Go figure this one ?????

FL Airedale
01-18-2013, 08:56
I saw a no guns sign on a theater in Gainesville, Florida a few years ago. I didn't take my gun back to the car and I didn't tell anyone that I was carrying. There was no problem enjoying the movie.

The only thing that the sign changed is that I've never been back to that theater.

Tx-SIG229
01-18-2013, 19:53
http://texas3006.com/view.php

Gunnut 45/454
01-18-2013, 20:56
Or better yet like here in Idaho- those signs mean exactly zero to me! I ignor them! But when I notice them -I don't look 99% of the time -like I said they don't matter- then I usually make that the last time I go there ! I take my money else where!:rofl: With Hollyweird stance on legal gun ownership they are on my don't give money list- so no movies theaters, DVD's nor rentals! I'll wait to see it free on TV.:supergrin:

wingryder
01-18-2013, 21:03
I wonder if the owner has ever considered making his theater a truely "gun free" zone... by not showing movies with gun play or gun violence... yea, that would be good for business.

SgtScott31
01-18-2013, 22:55

So what did you accomplish? They ask you to leave and you still have to go because it's private property. Then next time you show up the proper sign is posted. You educated them on proper signage. Good for you. Now it's definitively posted and you left a poor taste in their mouths regarding gun carriers. You must be proud. If it's anyone with a "holier than thou" attitude it's you.

Regarding the OP's post, I'm sure a corporate entity like Carmike is going to lose sleep because of a few disgruntled permit holders. While I don't agree with the policy either, it's their decision. You would have better luck sending complaints to their headquarters out of GA. The individual cinema employees, including the managers, don't have a say in the matter. You're basically just pestering the messenger.

HarleyGuy
01-19-2013, 00:46
In Michigan, a movie theater is not considered a gun free zone unless the seating capacity of the building is 2500 or more.

Ryobi
01-19-2013, 04:45
Gol darn. Ain't no reason fer readin. Even less for pondering thangs like property owners rants. I'm merken. Only mah rahts matter. Don't know why them gun grabbing commies is askeered of us.

Gunnut 45/454
01-19-2013, 10:00
Ryobi
But those same scared Property owners really want our money? Kind of hard to stay in business with out customers! You invite the public in but you are upset with what they bring in to your store, but give me your money! Ah No! If you want to control who comes into your store to spend money -make it a memebers only establishment- set up metal detectors, provide security guards -that way when your security fails and people die in your store cause you get robbed then you can be sued out of business! So much fail in your post its funny!:rofl:

Bill Lumberg
01-19-2013, 13:09
The win in his post is strong. Dang revenoors. So, you're saying if their doors are unlocked, or if they accept money in any way, then they have no choice by whom or how their establishment is used. Hilarious. How dare a private property owner/business owner think they have any say on their own property. The very nerve of them.

SgtScott31
01-19-2013, 20:30
Ryobi
But those same scared Property owners really want our money? Kind of hard to stay in business with out customers! You invite the public in but you are upset with what they bring in to your store, but give me your money! Ah No! If you want to control who comes into your store to spend money -make it a memebers only establishment- set up metal detectors, provide security guards -that way when your security fails and people die in your store cause you get robbed then you can be sued out of business! So much fail in your post its funny!:rofl:
The only problem with your theory is at best they're losing 1% of their revenue if this "huge number" of gun owners refuses to do business with them.

There have been very few cases in this country where a business has been found anywhere close to liable for injury or death of their customer(s). Even if they were I guarantee it had nothing to do with failing to allow gun holders in their store.

Stevekozak
01-20-2013, 19:18
The only problem with your theory is at best they're losing 1% of their revenue if this "huge number" of gun owners refuses to do business with them.

There have been very few cases in this country where a business has been found anywhere close to liable for injury or death of their customer(s). Even if they were I guarantee it had nothing to do with failing to allow gun holders in their store.
Has it ever occured to you that even people who do not carry guns might be smart enough to realize that gun free zones make them tasty targets for whackos, and thus, they might not want to frequent establishments that post as such? :dunno:

windpoint
01-20-2013, 19:53
I was a theater manager for, at the time, the largest theater company in the world. I had no say in company policy. We made our money on popcorn. The price of the ticket was a percentage of profit based on how long we played the movie. The first week we received 5 cents on the dollar, next week 7 1/2, the third week 10 cent, etc. It's the movie companies that make the money off of the ticket sales. Think they care if you boycott a particular theater? BTW, back then you could bring in any food the was close to what was being sold at the concession stand.

MotorCityBear
01-21-2013, 06:28
Unfortunately the current political climate is against us and seems to be gaining momentum. Everytime a nutcase goes on a shooting spree it just makes our position that much weaker. We are viewed by many as "gun nuts."

A large segment of our population became so disgusted with Washington and our elected officials that they just gave up on the country, stopped voting and we now see the result.

Obama has an agenda and this is just the beginning. We are witnessing the destruction of a once great country.

Lock and load my friends...

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 08:03
My church here in White River Junction, VT to me to not bring my G17 to church - but they do not have signs up. I ccw there every Sunday as long as they don't have a sign up. Here in VT most anyone can CCW.

Southswede
01-21-2013, 13:52
My church here in White River Junction, VT to me to not bring my G17 to church - but they do not have signs up. I ccw there every Sunday as long as they don't have a sign up. Here in VT most anyone can CCW.

Interesting....

My church appreciates those of us who carry. In fact the church paid for their staff to become CCW qualified.......

Pilotdude3407
01-21-2013, 14:41
Interesting....

My church appreciates those of us who carry. In fact the church paid for their staff to become CCW qualified.......

In GA, churches are on the official off limits list. I don't even think the individual church can say its ok. I think it's non negotiable and if caught its go straight to jail...don't pass go, don't collect $200.

Southswede
01-21-2013, 18:58
In GA, churches are on the official off limits list. I don't even think the individual church can say its ok. I think it's non negotiable and if caught its go straight to jail...don't pass go, don't collect $200.

That is just sad. Then again, I'm sure the criminals won't break that rule either........

Taterhead
01-21-2013, 19:53
A private property owner should be able to have a say in matters about whom to do business with. If they chose to not do business with gun carriers, that is their choice. I don't like it, and they lose me as a customer.

I have the choice to not do business with property owners for a variety of reasons. An anti-gun stance is one of them. I have been known to politely let business/property owners understand exactly why my family will not do business there. The business card idea in the OP is not a bad idea. It is probably more effective for the mom-and-pop shops where there is a more direct path to the proprietor.

ChiTownPicaro
01-22-2013, 03:43
Has it ever occured to you that even people who do not carry guns might be smart enough to realize that gun free zones make them tasty targets for whackos, and thus, they might not want to frequent establishments that post as such? :dunno:

Recent events involving legislation and support for gun control suggest that they would rather see more gun free zones and don't want people carrying firearms around them.

warriorking
01-22-2013, 08:50
Same here in WV, they can ask you to leave, otherwise no law is broken unless you refuse to leave, so basically they never know I carry...unless the business is willing to accept the full responsibility of protecting me should something terrible happen at their establishment I will continue to ignore it and go about my normal business....concealed means concealed....and should something dreadfull happen I will not be reaching for a cell phone like the business owner to deal with the eminent threat...

Bren
01-22-2013, 09:03
Kentucky is one state were speeding is 100 times the criminal activity that carrying in a posted theater is. Who doesn't speed (and yes, 5 over is speeding)? CCW in a theater (know you local laws) is like sneaking food into those theaters that have signage saying "do not bring in outside food". Bring it in and they can ask you to leave, no refund required.

I can't remember ever seeing a posted business in Kentucky, other than bars and places that are off limits by law anyhow. There might have been some when CCW first became law, in the 90's, but they went away. If I did see a sign, I'd probably ignore it.

BJHXDM3.8
01-22-2013, 09:34
Recent events involving legislation and support for gun control suggest that they would rather see more gun free zones and don't want people carrying firearms around them.

I think this is a myth repeated over and over again
by the anti gun media.

SgtScott31
01-22-2013, 12:42

I'm sure there are a few out there. I'm not against allowing responsible carriers in these establishments, but in the grand scheme of things those who want to protest the business or refuse to go in simply because of a gun issue are the very few. I don't believe the issue will ever get so large for the majority of the American public that you're going to put a place out of business, or even hurt their sales at all, simply because they don't allow guns.

FLA45fan
01-22-2013, 21:05
BAG
Stop by the store - I'll make sure our customers get those cards. Gotta head up to the "Empire strikes back State" (of NY) this weekend to take care of some business and possibly talk to one of our pro-gun representatives that voted against the NY Bill of Wrongs.. see you soon.

FLglockdude
01-22-2013, 23:44

OP is the fuzz :whistling: