garands [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : garands

Diesel McBadass
01-15-2013, 20:46
want to get a cmp garand this year, probably a service grade. How do the various brands stack against each other?

m2hmghb
01-15-2013, 21:02
No real difference in post war. Winchester WW2s are usually in rougher shape. The parts all interchange. It's just personal preference.

ctfireman
01-15-2013, 21:14
It's a preference thing. The guru's will be along to break it down into detail. I personally wanted a 1942 that looked like it could tell battle stories& thats what i got.

countrygun
01-15-2013, 21:15
No real difference in post war. Winchester WW2s are usually in rougher shape. The parts all interchange. It's just personal preference.

Add to that the fact that many of them have parts from other makers on them, I have a CMP Springfield that came with an uncut Winchester OP rod, and there really isn't much to recommend any over the other..

CBennett
01-15-2013, 21:25
I got a Service Grade last year in the summer it was a H&R had a lot of h&r parts i think it was a H&R receiver and barrel and some of the internals But the bolt and trigger group were Springfield. Service grades will mostly me mixes. They will work great though my H&R was nice.

oh and when i got it the only available models were the H&R and the Springfields so check before hand to see whats available. If you go in person to one of the stores you may get lucky when i ordered mine as i said it was springfield or H&R BUT at the store and NOT available online they had a few Winchesters..so at times they have stuff in the store you cant order online.

Walter Bishop
01-15-2013, 21:34
When you buy a Springfield or a Winchester all that really means is the receiver. Most likely the barrel and other parts are a mixture of parts.

fnfalman
01-16-2013, 09:56
Some brands are more desirable than others. I don't know why, but I'm not fussy. I wanted some genuine GI Garands and I got two from the CMP. I'm happy.

Dr. Leaky
01-17-2013, 08:18
I have to admit I'm torn between getting one with "history", albeit a little beat up, as opposed to one that's been refurbished with new furniture and a new barrel on an original receiver. I'm thinking that because most seem to have already been significantly changed from their original parts mix the history is more perceived than real, kinda like my RC K98. On the other hand I can get all the original functionality and the original look in a rifle that should hold up much better than one with all parts dating from the 1940s. Still on the fence. :dunno:

CBennett
01-17-2013, 15:37
Well heck then go for the nicer one in .308 easier to find the ammo..

fnfalman
01-17-2013, 16:48
One of my CMP had all original metal parts but brand new wooden stock. The other one was 100% GI.

m2hmghb
01-17-2013, 19:47
I have to admit I'm torn between getting one with "history", albeit a little beat up, as opposed to one that's been refurbished with new furniture and a new barrel on an original receiver. I'm thinking that because most seem to have already been significantly changed from their original parts mix the history is more perceived than real, kinda like my RC K98. On the other hand I can get all the original functionality and the original look in a rifle that should hold up much better than one with all parts dating from the 1940s. Still on the fence. :dunno:

Why not get one of each? BTW the parts will be 40s and 50s on the rebuilt M1s as well, the barrel and the stocks and stock metal are the only new items, the bolt trigger group op rod etc are all USGI from the 30s till the 60s.