Who can restore a very old 1911?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who can restore a very old 1911??

DrtyHarry
01-15-2013, 22:26
Many many years ago when my grandfather was alive, he always carried a small .22 1911. From what I remember, he had it custom made. I can't find any markings or numbers on the pistol, it is missing several parts though. My father told me my grandfather had a problem with it and tried to fix it on his own. Well, grandpa was no gunsmith....that's for sure.

The pistol looks to be gold plated. I believe it's a .22lr because I have one magazine and the round fits in there nice and snug, as well as when I place a shell in the chamber.

I want to get it restored to how I remember my grandfather when he had it....gold with ivory (or MOP) grips. Please see pics below...

If anyone knows who can do this work at a decent price...I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

DH

bac1023
01-16-2013, 06:43
Well, check out some local smiths in your area and have them look at it and see what they say.

They are going to have to diagnose what the issues are first. Honestly, I'd probably just restore the original look of the pistol for sentimental purposes and not worry about the rest.

Having said all that, I'm not really sure why you're describing it as a 1911. If you do decide to try to get it fixed mechanically, I wouldn't mention anything about a 1911 to the smith at all. Just tell them you have a pocket pistol of unknown make and origin and you want to see if it can be restored to working order. :dunno:

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2013, 08:51
That poor little pea shooter,.......pimped out like a hooker!
Sure as heJJ ain't a 1911!

Glockdude1
01-16-2013, 08:56
I would use it as a paperweight on my desk.

:cool:

3rdgen40
01-16-2013, 09:31
I clicked on this thread expecting to see a nice old Colt 1911 from WW II...:faint:

faawrenchbndr
01-16-2013, 09:33
Yup,........could be a cool little pea shooter though!

Jim Watson
01-16-2013, 09:42
First, I'd look at the breechface to see if it were a centerfire or rimfire. If centerfire, it is a .25 ACP. If rimfire, I would assume .22 Short, .22 LR pocket pistols are very uncommon. Unless somebody did indeed file this one out to suit the caliber.

It LOOKS a lot like an Astra Cub... but not exactly.
Either it is a copy "custom made" or a cheaper Spanish copy of an already inexpensive Spanish gun.

Your chances of getting a custom gun or an off brand fixed are small. Few if any gunsmiths would take the time off of regular work to fool with it.

DrtyHarry
01-16-2013, 14:59
I clicked on this thread expecting to see a nice old Colt 1911 from WW II...:faint:

Got 2 in .45acp and one in .38 Super. :) I'm sure Bac has a dozen of them. lol

My bad wording it as a 1911. I thought it would be best for a specialized 1911 smith to work on this type of pistol rather than the kids at my local gun shop/smith.

As for the paper weight idea...it's a good one because that's how I've been using it for the past 12 years or so. lol

I really want to try and get this pistol working again. Not so much to carry and shoot every day, but I would like to get it back to it's original state....with the MOP or ivory grips that I remember it once had.

I take my grandfather's 1911s out of the display case and fire them on his birthday, veteran's day, and on the 4th of July. Just like he asked me to before he passed. I'd like to throw this little guy into the tradition as well.

Jim, it does look like an Astra Cub. The slide looks a bit different though...can't find a pic of a Astra Cub that has the rear slide serrations like the one I have. I wish it was a Astra Cub...this way I could just buy another and swap out internals and simply add grips and maybe have it polished up a bit. Wouldn't the Astra have some kind of markings someplace??

Again, my bad calling it a 1911. It's almost like calling a magazine a "clip". lol Thanks!!

DH

bac1023
01-16-2013, 21:06
As for the paper weight idea...it's a good one because that's how I've been using it for the past 12 years or so. lol

:rofl:

railfancwb
01-16-2013, 23:14
Didn't Colt offer their version (relabeled?) of the Astra Cub?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

silversport
01-17-2013, 06:03
Colt sold several pocket or vest pistols...including the Astra Cub copy, the Colt Junior...FN and Browning sold them too (as did many others as these were very popular at one time...

Bill

DrtyHarry
01-17-2013, 12:38
Colt sold several pocket or vest pistols...including the Astra Cub copy, the Colt Junior...FN and Browning sold them too (as did many others as these were very popular at one time...

Bill

Any way to find out exactly what it is? This way I can shop around for the same gun or at least find replacement parts/internals? Thanks!

DH

silversport
01-18-2013, 07:25
I can't help you there but a good gunsmith should be able to give you some answers...

I know what you mean about Family and memories...I have my Father's old Steven's single shot 12GA...when I asked on a Forum years ago...I received a LOT of answers that said it isn't worth much and why keep it...I keep it because it reminds me of my Father...I don't care what it's worth on the open market because it won't be on the market in my lifetime...

Good luck with your quest...

Bill