Remington 700 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700

DairyLandShooter
01-16-2013, 00:23
What is the best basic remington model 700 I can buy for target/hunting. I am looking into .308 and I see so many different models. It would be nice to have a heavier one for stability. Which should I consider, I am looking to buy new.

Also, are there heavier barrels and lighter barrels? Why would you want one or the other?

Any advice will help, thanks folks.

Kentucky Shooter
01-16-2013, 08:57
What is the best basic remington model 700 I can buy for target/hunting. I am looking into .308 and I see so many different models. It would be nice to have a heavier one for stability. Which should I consider, I am looking to buy new.

Also, are there heavier barrels and lighter barrels? Why would you want one or the other?

I would take a look at the SPS Tactical model with 20" barrel and Hogue stock. These are great shooters and fits the description your looking for. I have one in .223 and love mine. Im sure it would be great in .308 as well.

The tactical model with its bull barrel lends itself to great accuracy. However, it depends on your needs. I cant imagine the average shooter not being satisfied with the performance of the regular sporter type SPS with its regular weight barrel. These have plenty of accuracy potential for the majority of folks at a lower purchase price.

bushhogg
01-16-2013, 09:10
For target and hunting the SPS Tactical model with 20" would be GREAT

38 Super Fan
01-16-2013, 09:53
Look at the LRT as well, love mine.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/hackman1911/Rifles009.jpg

hoghunter82
01-16-2013, 09:59
I went with the Wal Mart special Rem 700 ADL (that is the most basic of the basic) although I am not up to date on whether they replaced the ADL with another name. I picked it up for $300. Every time I get the itch to get a more expensive rifle I bring myself back to reality by remembering how well this entry level Rem 700 ADL kills deer dead. I went with a .270 and I spent more on my scope than I did the rifle. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Rem 700 no matter the variation.

Bren
01-16-2013, 10:05
Look at the LRT as well, love mine.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n602/hackman1911/Rifles009.jpg

Pretty much the opposite of a hunting rifle (and I have used a 700VS .308 for hunting).

If you are going to hunt with it, try something short, light, with a thinner barrel profile and, ideally, in stainless with a synthetic stock. You can get all of that in Remington 700 (don't recall and exact model name and Remington's site is down).

WarEagle32
01-16-2013, 12:13
I went with the Wal Mart special Rem 700 ADL (that is the most basic of the basic) although I am not up to date on whether they replaced the ADL with another name. I picked it up for $300. Every time I get the itch to get a more expensive rifle I bring myself back to reality by remembering how well this entry level Rem 700 ADL kills deer dead. I went with a .270 and I spent more on my scope than I did the rifle. You absolutely cannot go wrong with a Rem 700 no matter the variation.

I totally agree with this. Academy carries specially made new ADL's. Get one of those for 379 and they are as good as any 700 made. I own 3 700's. Look online and call around Academy's if you are set on a 308 until you find an ADL. They even come with the X mark trigger for that price. The next best deal on a 700 will be a standard SPS model which comes with a 24 inch barrel. As far as barrel length it genereally matters on how far you plan to shoot. The longer the barrel the better it shoots longer distances. I recommend a 22-24 inch barrel with a standard 308. Some people go longer or shorter, but these are by far the two most common lengths on 308's you will see. If you can find an ADL grab one. Although, IMO any 700 will do an outstanding job. I think its the best production rifle you can buy.

38 Super Fan
01-16-2013, 12:44
Pretty much the opposite of a hunting rifle (and I have used a 700VS .308 for hunting).

If you are going to hunt with it, try something short, light, with a thinner barrel profile and, ideally, in stainless with a synthetic stock. You can get all of that in Remington 700 (don't recall and exact model name and Remington's site is down).
I do have the 26" barrel model, but it is available in a 20" barrel as well. Not a bad hunting rifle at all IMO, and he did mention target shooting as well.

byf43
01-16-2013, 12:52

Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD or 700 SPS Tactical w/ 20" barrel should fill your needs.
Once you put mount/rings/glass on the rifle, you're gonna have a few pounds in your hands. (Close to 9 lbs, maybe more.)

For hunting, it's gonna be a little heavier than the 700 BDL, but, there are always trade-offs.

DairyLandShooter
01-16-2013, 14:53
Would a remington 700 police be overkill? What are the benefits over a remington sps tactical?

WarEagle32
01-16-2013, 18:17
Would a remington 700 police be overkill? What are the benefits over a remington sps tactical?

Both have a much heavier barrel. Are you wanting it for a more of a hunting rifle or target rifle?

DairyLandShooter
02-07-2013, 14:21
Both have a much heavier barrel. Are you wanting it for a more of a hunting rifle or target rifle?

Target

AK_Stick
02-07-2013, 14:46

Being that most southerners "hunt" from a stand, it's probably not that big of a deal.