Concerned about glock grips [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about glock grips

BBauer927
01-16-2013, 08:46
So When I get off work today I will be headed to my LGS to make a purchase. Was leaning to the G23 gen 3 (gen 4 is virtually sold out in Orlando). I've been doing lots of research because its not like Walmart, you can't return it if you don't like it. I've heard a large amount of complaints about the glocks grip being "awkward" and generally not liking the grip angle. What is everyone's thoughts? Is this problem more for people who have owned guns for years and this "change" messed with their muscle memory? Would someone like me who is a fairly new gun owner not notice the difference as much? Thanks for your input, just wondering if I should go M&P or sig with a more standard grip

Bill Lumberg
01-16-2013, 08:53
I prefer the glock grip to any other. In skilled hands, it feels and works great, no skateboard tape or appliques necessary. So When I get off work today I will be headed to my LGS to make a purchase. Was leaning to the G23 gen 3 (gen 4 is virtually sold out in Orlando). I've been doing lots of research because its not like Walmart, you can't return it if you don't like it. I've heard a large amount of complaints about the glocks grip being "awkward" and generally not liking the grip angle. What is everyone's thoughts? Is this problem more for people who have owned guns for years and this "change" messed with their muscle memory? Would someone like me who is a fairly new gun owner not notice the difference as much? Thanks for your input, just wondering if I should go M&P or sig with a more standard grip

Taphius
01-16-2013, 09:00
Not having shot many pistols before getting my first Glock I find that they fit my hand well and point naturally, although they are quite slippery. I do not think there is anything you should be worried about. Shooting fundamentals do not change between firearms and a few degrees difference in grip is no big deal

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Shiloh228
01-16-2013, 09:06
The only thing I noticed is that I did not like the more "aggressive" grip texture on the Gen 4...I prefer the Gen 3 grip.

Note: this is my first handgun, so I had no "existing conditions"...just an immediate reaction when I compared the 2 grips for the first time.

keg3me
01-16-2013, 09:14
I lived outside the US for nearly 5 years, and didn't shoot anything other than shotguns while I was gone. Before I left I had numerous Glocks that were my primary pistols of choice. I also had a Sig & a Walther, both of which I shot regularly.

When I returned to the US for good, and went to the range, it took one magazine for me to get back in the groove. My Glocks (19, 23,27, 34) all point naturally, and group very well.

What you need to do is go to the range & rent some different pistols, and buy what you think fits you best. My Glock 23 & 27 are my primary carry. My 34 is my plinker, and a buttload of fun to shoot; the 19 is my wife's pistol, which we've had for nearly 20 years. They work for me, but that doesn't mean they'll be right for you.

Funny thing you mention a M&P...my coworker picked up a M&P9 tactical (or whatever their longest barrel model is) two weeks ago. I shot it back to back with my Glock, and was equally accurate with both. Mind you they feel different, but even with speed drills (more like speed shooting at steel targets), I could hit just as many plates with the M&P as I could with my 34. I think you'll find that over time you'll develop your style, and the pistol won't matter as much as your form. Again, get what feels best to you!

Good luck with the search.

Inebriated
01-16-2013, 09:16
I prefer the Gen 4... Good size, good texture...

But in general, I prefer Glock's grip angle to most anything else, because I'm used to it and have been using it more than any other.

Arc Angel
01-16-2013, 09:42
So When I get off work today I will be headed to my LGS to make a purchase. Was leaning to the G23 gen 3 (gen 4 is virtually sold out in Orlando). I've been doing lots of research because its not like Walmart, you can't return it if you don't like it. I've heard a large amount of complaints about the glocks grip being "awkward" and generally not liking the grip angle. What is everyone's thoughts? Is this problem more for people who have owned guns for years and this "change" messed with their muscle memory? Would someone like me who is a fairly new gun owner not notice the difference as much? Thanks for your input, just wondering if I should go M&P or sig with a more standard grip

Get used to it! (Everybody else on the planet has.) ;)

jhall1911
01-16-2013, 09:53
The "grip angle" argument is a cover for poor shooting. A couple degrees won't make a difference. Trigger control followed by sight alignment is the key to good shooting, not some mythical "grip angle".

bennie1986
01-16-2013, 09:54
I have a gen 3 23 and love the grip! I also have an M&P40 and there are things about the grip i prefer but if i could only have one i would probably go with the 23 because of the dimensions.

Bren
01-16-2013, 10:01
I prefer the glock grip to any other. In skilled hands, it feels and works great, no skateboard tape or appliques necessary.

I agree. The only better feeling grip is the Browning Hi Power and the Glock is similar.

You might not like the Glock grip if you tend to rock your fist back like shooting a 1911 with a flat backstrap, but that is a poor position for recoil control, to begin with. The Glock grip angle will give you a more natural wrist position, like pointing with your finger or pushing a button or throwing a punch. In turn, that helps manage recoil and shoot fast.

BBauer927
01-16-2013, 11:55
Thanks guys. Looks like the grip angle haters where just being whiny babies then, so I will throw out their complaints. Sounds like a G23 it is! On my way now!

jay1975
01-16-2013, 12:16
People that don't like the grip are not "whiny babies". A good grip is essential to accurate shooting. If a gun doesn't fit your hand well, then you should look at a different model. I never was comfortable with the Gen 3's, so I never bought one, but my Gen 4 is dead on at 35 meters. Different strokes and all.

ZO6Vettever
01-16-2013, 13:17
For my hands the grip needs a little improvement. My trigger finger is at an ackward angle down to pull the trigger. A 1/4" or so build up on the beaver tail would probably make it right. I'm thinking about making an epoxy piece and double sticky taping it in to try. If it works I'll do it permanently. The thing gave me terrible "Glock knuckle" until I took some off the trigger guard. Everybody's different!

LuckyG
01-16-2013, 13:28
Nobody can tell anybody else whether any grip would work for them. However, would say the following: the Gen4 grip with no backstrap insert is different than the Gen3's. My small hand likes this configuration better than the Gen3.

I use a GripForce Adapter on my Gen4 G34. It lowers the natural point of the Glock to something similar to my 1911's. Close eyes, point gun at something, open eyes, top of front sight even with top of rear. You may or may not like the feel of the adapter though - depends.

barth
01-16-2013, 15:59

When I first held my gen 3 G27? It felt like a brick.
But shooting it was a completely different story.
Then adding a Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove was icing on the cake.

Grip angle is a personal preference, ergonomic, thingy.
But IMHO, you need to actually shoot the gun to figure that out.

I own two Sig Sauer and five HK handguns - among others.

SCSU74
01-16-2013, 16:36
Go to a range and shoot different brands. That would be like me asking you what shoes are the best for me. Glock's fit my hands great, as do sigs.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

blastfact
01-16-2013, 17:05
It's a mental thing. I use to hate a Glock grip. But getting over my mental block has let me enjoy my G20 Full Size. Even my little tinny wife enjoys shooting it. Now if Smith Made a M&P 10mm I would not have my G20. :)

BBauer927
01-16-2013, 20:32
Found a not so prominent LGS who had some Gen 4s sitting in the safe. He handed me the G23 and I feel in love with it. The grip seems great to me! And what's even better is the 3 magazines that come with! Happy camper with my new purchase. Thanks guys for your input. Can't wait till Tuesday to pick it up and take it for a spin at the range.

BMiracletx
01-17-2013, 14:43
I prefer the gen4... but have many gen3s also. If you shoot other brands more than you do Glock, then the Glock will feel wierd. I mostly shoot Glock, so to me everything else feels wierd.