M1 Carbine sights question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine sights question

GlocknSpiehl
01-16-2013, 12:47
OK, I've been shooting the heck out of my CMP M1 carbine and loving it! However, is there any website or info out there on how to effectively aim it using the standard peepsight it comes with? I shoot very well with it, getting 95% or better in the 10 ring, but would like to do better. Also, I was at a loss trying to explain how to aim to my wife.

Thanks for any hints! :wavey:

MrMurphy
01-16-2013, 13:44
The sight picture is the same for the M1 Garand, M1 carbine, M1917 Enfield, M1903A3 Springfield, BAR (the real one, not the hunting rifle), M14 and M16/A1/A2/A3/A4/M4 with irons.

Any government field manual, usually able to be found online often free as a download, will cover basic sighting, and what works for one works for all the rest except for individual sight settings (zeroing an M16 for example, isn't the same as an M1 Garand or M1 carbine, different rear sight hardware even if the sight picture is effectively identical).

countrygun
01-16-2013, 14:22
Mr. Murphy nailed it. It is easier to read the manual than someone's interpretation of it.

Tired Retired
01-16-2013, 22:01
The thing to remember about the M-1 carbine is that it was not designed as an accurate rifle. It was designed as a replacement for the 1911 pistol for support troops. Its considered a 4-mil weapon.

However, here is an article that will help with some pointers to improve the accuracy to acceptable levels.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/CMP_Carbine_Notes_2007.pdf

Hope it helps....

GlocknSpiehl
01-17-2013, 14:24
Excellent! Thanks! The field manual has exactly hwat I was looking for.