Tactical Flashlight Recomendation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Flashlight Recomendation

DaveG
01-16-2013, 20:07
Looking at getting a surefire, but not sure if I should go with another incandescent or LED. Part of the LED craze seems to stem from the energy movement and "green" environmentalism. For that reason I am wary...

From what I have heard, LEDs are pretty reliable and bright though... Thoughts?

carbuncle
01-16-2013, 21:04
Looking at getting a surefire, but not sure if I should go with another incandescent or LED. Part of the LED craze seems to stem from the energy movement and "green" environmentalism. For that reason I am wary...

Many people here are much more knowledgeable on the technical specifics than I, but I can tell you this: I've had a Surefire incandescent 6P for 15 years that is great, bright and durable. A couple of years ago I got a 6P LED that is an improvement on the incandescent 6P in terms of battery life and brightness, I like it. Last spring I got a Streamlight ProTac 1 that takes one CR123A and performs pretty much as well as both of the above but is much more pocketable. I like all three, I hope this helps.

WoodenPlank
01-16-2013, 21:29
LED. Brighter, more durable, and don't have to buy freakin' bulbs for it. I have several Surefire lights - both hand-held and weapon mounted - and they are all LED.

Line Rider
01-16-2013, 21:29
Surefire all the way. I have bought two 6P lights and one G2 LED slightly used from another forum's Equipment Exchance. These have been so cheap because everyone wants the newer LED lights.

Surefire make the BEST carry light made.

countrygun
01-16-2013, 21:36
I gave up on the whole "tactical' thing when my wife complained that I was always "thinking with my tacticals"

I have a couple of surefires gut in reality I only use them outdoors. Some of the inexpensive, multi-LED lights give me all I need indoors. I don't know how the work on bad guys, but the wife blinded me with them.

I'M Glockamolie
01-16-2013, 21:40
There is no downside to LED, and several upsides. If you like Surefire, go for it. There are lots of other great lights out there. Back in the day, it was all Streamlight and Surefire for the mainstream. I like Fenix and 4Sevens off the top of my head as well, and there are several others that do the job nicely. I just can't get on board with CR123 batteries or rechargeables, so I go mainly for the AA lights. You might be surprised what you get out of 2AA batteries with a quality LED.

up1911fan
01-16-2013, 22:24
Get a Surefire LED that fit's your needs. For me it's the LX2, EB1 or Fury.

Rinspeed
01-16-2013, 22:44
Just my opinion but only a fool would choose an incandescent over a high end LED. I've owned 10-12 Surefires over the years, great lights and great customer service if you ever need it.

Most of the Surefires I own now have Malkoff LED drop-in modules in them. Find a Surefire 6P or 6Z incandescent host and add a Malkoff and you will have a very bright and very reliable light. Best part about it is both will be made by people who can speak English. :thumbsup:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff-p-7.html?zenid=262c4b9432a624017f340235246a7f91

SouthpawG26
01-16-2013, 23:04

9-10 years ago the best incandescent flashlights (2xcr123 size/"Surefire 6p" size) were rated at 100-125lumens max, at (way) less than an hour runtime.

Nowadays a few makers are beyond 800lumens in that same flashlight size with a LED emitter, with 1.5hour ratings at full power...

That should tell you how superior current LED technology is.

Morgo
01-16-2013, 23:09
The TLR series are good value if you don't want to spend up on a surefire.

The old tech can't compete with LED in any way.

LAWDOGKMS
01-16-2013, 23:56
I own or have been issued numerous surefires and streamlights..and they're all good..but, I have had Streamlight led's recently give me trouble with the switch/button not working momentarily though..on both a new 200 lumen and oir new issue 600 lumen..

My FAVORITE go-to light is one I was issued several years ago though, that seems to be flawless in design..

http://powerledlighting.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9

Stang_Man
01-17-2013, 00:09
What do you plan to use it for?

I've got an E2D incan., G2X LED, Fenix LED, and some random lights.

I currently use a Streamlight LED Stinger on duty, with a LED 3D MagLite for in-car backup. Once my holster comes in, I plan on carrying the G2X instead, since it's just as bright as the Stinger but much smaller.

G19ftw
01-17-2013, 00:22
I carry a Streamlight ProTac 2AA all day, everyday. Its very light, very bright. Has a strobe mode and batteries last for weeks under normal usage. I use it at work(automotive service job), and for concealed carry. I don't leave home without it.

GlockFish
01-17-2013, 01:28
Surefire 6p.

lol

That's like an 95 Camaro compared to today's newest cars.

PEC-Memphis
01-17-2013, 10:11
In my experience LEDs are brighter and more durable. There may be multi-mode incandescent, but I have not seen them - and there are many multi-mode LEDs on the market.

I have a couple of surefire's, an Insight, several maglites and several streamlights.

The 2D and 3D maglites are great and made in the USA (if you still California the USA) - but not very "pocketable"

For everyday use, the one I keep in by pocket 18 hours a day, is the Streamlight Stylus Pro 2AAA. It is bright enough for most indoor and outdoor use, simple, inexpensive, uses inexpensive/readily available batteries and utterly reliable. It is not multi-mode and is not made in the USA :(

I have a Streamlight Protac 2AAA on order. It has the same features as the stylus pro but is much brighter, multi-mode, has a striking bezel, and a very reasonable price point - but is a little bigger.

As mentioned before - there are many other good flashlights on the market these days (4stevens and Fenix).

The surefires are very, very good - and if you can accept the price point - it is very doubtful that you will be disappointed.

If you lose the Stylus Pro, you haven't lost a very expensive flashlight (like losing a surefire) - the compact size, price, battery life/availability and brightness of the stylus pro makes it the "handiest" flashlight that I own.

Spiffums
01-17-2013, 10:56

Brighter lights, longer battery life......probably need to educate yourself more about new tech in lights and less with the :tinfoil:

Texanmile
01-17-2013, 11:48
Almost all of my lights are now LEDs. They have been around for a while now and last longer with more life out of the batteries. I recommend any middle of the road Surefire... it'll probably last you as long as you take care of it.

That being said...

Part of the LED craze seems to stem from the energy movement and "green" environmentalism. For that reason I am wary...

Since when are flashlights of all things a political/ideological issue? You are certainly stepping into :tinfoil: territory...

DaveG
01-17-2013, 18:22
Brighter lights, longer battery life......probably need to educate yourself more about new tech in lights and less with the :tinfoil:

I have educated myself gentlemen. Left values are eating away at the stone foundations of our nation, one chip at a time...

I'M Glockamolie
01-17-2013, 18:23
Since when are flashlights of all things a political/ideological issue? You are certainly stepping into :tinfoil: territory...

I'm guessing confusion with the Fed.gov mandated CFL lights for home use phasing out incandescent bulbs for home use. Two different animals!

DonD
01-17-2013, 19:00
Personally, while I would agree that Surefire is a highly reputable company which makes durable products, I don't think they're in any way cutting edge in flashlights.

I was just at the SHOT Show 15 & 16 Jan. I have a Fenix 2 CR123A light that has 330 lumens, very nice. They had a new light called PD32UE (Ultimate Edition). Thinner than mine as the lens bezel is smaller in diameter. Amazingly bright, 740 lumens with the same 2 CR123As. Compared it to a 2600 lumen light. Of course the 2600 dominated it but it wasn't as far behind as you might think and the big light is BIG. Price is right at less than $80 retail. Don