MPA380 Protector 2 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MPA380 Protector 2

frank_drebin
01-16-2013, 20:31
I picked this up this week on a whim. It reminded me of Will Smith's Cricket gun in MIB.

Today I had the opportunity to shoot it a little. it was dark and rainy but i atill had to try her out. I stepped out in the yard and emptied 2 mags in the rain. I have a steel target about 20' out and I aimed at the slight glimmer coming off of it in the dark rain.

I fired 12 shots and heard 10 reports from the plate. Not scientific and I have no idea where they landed but I hit the 8" plate, in pitch black dark in the rain so I'm happy about that.

The first thing I notices was that the recoil was half that of my LCP. I fired a few shots through it to be sure and it was quite noticeable. I guess the ported barrel makes a difference.

The second thing was how the overall shape of the gun fit the contours of my hand perfectly. It was. Without a doubt the most comfortable micro-380 I have ever shot.

She's a loud little ***** for sure but she ate the mixed random ammo I put in the mags without a hiccup.

I like it..... A lot.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/IMG_10641.jpg

glockfanbob
01-16-2013, 20:40
Not a fan of the 380 round but that's a nice looking pistol.

frank_drebin
01-16-2013, 21:34
Not a fan of the 380 round but that's a nice looking pistol.

Same here. However, as a backup I'm thrilled with the possibilities.

wk9k
01-16-2013, 22:25
I am wanting to get a kahr 380...but I was eyeing that protector II. And its supposed to be all machined and no MIM parts which is very nice. Hows the trigger pull compared to other DAO pistols?

frank_drebin
01-17-2013, 08:11
The trigger pull is much better than my LCP and has second strike capabilities.

All other differences aside, I can't stress enough how little felt recoil there is with the ported barrel. The only 380 that comes close is an MDE.

GSSF17
01-17-2013, 08:27
Still loving mine. I keep 2 mags loaded and shoot them dry every 4-6 months. Had it a little over year now, and like it a lot. As you said, Frank- MUCH better than the Ruger LCP, and in my opinion, much better than the Kel Tec P3AT as well.

I find the recoil is softer as well, perhaps because the pistol is not 68% plastic.....:embarassed:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393864

mace85
01-17-2013, 08:53
I am using tapatalk right now so I can't post a link. But I put up a review of mine and I agree with you. It is a great little gun for the money.

rgregoryb
01-17-2013, 12:01
did you wonder where Autauga Arms machinery ended up? MPA

frank_drebin
01-17-2013, 12:52
did you wonder where Autauga Arms machinery ended up? MPA

Not quite.

MPA did the machining for Autauga back when they were in business. The Autauga was cast steel. However, the new guns are not cast they are machined from a solid piece of bar stock.

rgregoryb
01-17-2013, 13:57
Not quite.

MPA did the machining for Autauga back when they were in business. The Autauga was cast steel. However, the new guns are not cast they are machined from a solid piece of bar stock.

i sit corrected, I knew the new ones were CNC, did not know the AAs were cast

frank_drebin
01-17-2013, 16:53
i sit corrected, I knew the new ones were CNC, did not know the AAs were cast

I was reading up on them last week and the designer of the gun said that they went with a machined design to accommodate the 380 round. They are working on a 9mm version now. That would be interesting.

GSSF17
01-18-2013, 06:49
I was reading up on them last week and the designer of the gun said that they went with a machined design to accommodate the 380 round. They are working on a 9mm version now. That would be interesting.

9mm? Darn right! That's good news.

mace85
01-20-2013, 22:11

Where did you find that? I would be excited to get one!

ca survivor
01-21-2013, 07:51
Congrats!