Using snap caps with a striker fired pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using snap caps with a striker fired pistol

NewtoConsulting
01-16-2013, 23:40
Guys,

I'm new to Glock and striker fired pistols in general. On my 1911 or Beretta M9 I use my left thumb to cock the hammer when I'm dry firing using snap caps. I am able to reset the gun with minimal disruption to my grip and concentration. This obviously isn't going to work with a Glock. The first time the trigger didn't reset I cycled the slide. That cocked the striker and reset the trigger. The problem is that now my snap cap is on the floor! With a striker fired gun is there no way around this for practice? I guess I'll need to buy more snap caps and load all 13 into my G21 Gen4 magazine to practice. I just tried to dry fire, cycle the slide, catch the snap cap in mid air, lock the slide back, put the cap directly into the chamber and close the slide. It worked but wow that would really distract from paying attention to the trigger. What do you guys do load a mag and then reload when it's empty?

If it was easier to buy Glock magazines I would probably just buy one and designate it as my practice snap cap mag.

I wonder if I practice enough will I experience "SCTF" when the ejected dummy round is leaving the Glock.

SARDG
01-16-2013, 23:45
If it was easier to buy Glock magazines I would probably just buy one and designate it as my practice snap cap mag.

I wonder if I practice enough will I experience "SCTF" when the ejected dummy round is leaving the Glock.
Don't even suggest that or it will be all over the Internet... folks will be starting threads about it... they'll be sending their guns to Glock for a cure.

skyboss_4evr
01-16-2013, 23:59
You don't need to completely cycle the slide. Pull it just far enough to the rear to reset the trigger...maybe 1/4 inch or so.

This way your snap cap isn't ejected each time.

NewtoConsulting
01-17-2013, 00:02
You don't need to completely cycle the slide. Pull it just far enough to the rear to reset the trigger...maybe 1/4 inch or so.

This way your snap cap isn't ejected each time.

Ok that works. I knew there had to be a better way!

aliasneo07
01-17-2013, 00:53
You don't need a snap cap to dry fire a Glock.

bentbiker
01-17-2013, 01:12
I just tried to dry fire, cycle the slide, catch the snap cap in mid air, lock the slide back, put the cap directly into the chamber and close the slide.
The Glock extractor is not made to jump over the rim of a chambered cartridge. Repeatedly doing so will likely result in a chipped extractor. You should chamber cartridges only from a magazine.

jeager
01-17-2013, 02:21
The Glock extractor is not made to jump over the rim of a chambered cartridge. Repeatedly doing so will likely result in a chipped extractor. You should chamber cartridges only from a magazine.

very important consideration

SouthernBoyVA
01-17-2013, 04:35
You don't need a snap cap to dry fire a Glock.

This.

No need to use snap caps.

DWARREN123
01-17-2013, 05:22
I believe Glock now says you should use snap caps for a lot of dry firing, not for disassemble.

Arc Angel
01-17-2013, 10:00
Guys,

I'm new to Glock and striker fired pistols in general. On my 1911 or Beretta M9 I use my left thumb to cock the hammer when I'm dry firing using snap caps. I am able to reset the gun with minimal disruption to my grip and concentration. This obviously isn't going to work with a Glock.

Pull the slide back by, about, 1/8th of an inch and let it go forward again on its own. The extractor will NOT disengage from the case head, and the trigger will reset.

The first time the trigger didn't reset I cycled the slide. That cocked the striker and reset the trigger. The problem is that now my snap cap is on the floor! With a striker fired gun is there no way around this for practice? I guess I'll need to buy more snap caps and load all 13 into my G21 Gen4 magazine to practice. I just tried to dry fire, cycle the slide, catch the snap cap in mid air, lock the slide back, put the cap directly into the chamber and close the slide. It worked but wow that would really distract from paying attention to the trigger. What do you guys do load a mag and then reload when it's empty?

I DO have a dedicated magazine for snap caps. (I have a dedicate UpLULA, too.) The way I do it is to use each cap 3 or 4 times before completely racking the slide and ejecting the snap cap out of the pistol. I usually sit or stand across from the couch while dry-firing; and the couch catches all of my expelled snap caps.

The 10 (A-Zoom) snap caps that I load into my Glock will last me through 30 or 40, 'striker drops'.

Now get this: Do NOT teach yourself to catch any expelled cartridges. You may be able to do this 99 out of every 100 tries; but, the day will come when you AD that pistol.

:headscratch: If I knew what, 'SCTF' is then I could, probably, answer this question.

J.B.
01-17-2013, 10:10
SCTF=Snap Cap To Face? What I do is what's been suggested, basically doing a brass check to reset the trigger. You should have multiple snap caps to practice failures..not that a Glock would fail

SARDG
01-17-2013, 10:25
SCTF=Snap Cap To Face? ...You should have multiple snap caps to practice failures..not that a Glock would fail
Made sense to me... :)

NewtoConsulting
01-17-2013, 18:18
SCTF=Snap Cap To Face

That is what I meant by SCTF.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

tonyparson
01-17-2013, 19:47
I believe Glock now says you should use snap caps for a lot of dry firing, not for disassemble.

This ☝☝☝☝☝☝ Call Glock and they will confirm this statement.

NewtoConsulting
01-18-2013, 00:47
Now get this: Do NOT teach yourself to catch any expelled cartridges. You may be able to do this 99 out of every 100 tries; but, the day will come when you AD that pistol.

Did you seriously just make the gigantic leap to assume that anything I may do with a plastic snap cap I would also do with live ammunition? Unless you know of a way to have an AD with a PLASTIC SNAP CAP then I'm going to be just fine.

Returningliberty
01-18-2013, 01:20
I have another idea for you. Buy a SIRT pistol.

I use it in my CHP classes and it closely mimics a gen3 G17. Adjustable trigger as well.
I use it religiously for dry fire drills around my house. My GF hates it :D

Arc Angel
01-18-2013, 07:30
Did you seriously just make the gigantic leap to assume that anything I may do with a plastic snap cap I would also do with live ammunition? Unless you know of a way to have an AD with a PLASTIC SNAP CAP then I'm going to be just fine.

Perhaps, you should explain yourself more clearly. :)

This IS the Internet; and you never know who's watching or how seriously they will take whatever you have to say. Next time don't be so anxious to blame me for your own sloppy thinking. If I didn't add that caveat, I suspect another of the board's more conscientious members would have. Both the assumption, and the faux pas are on your head, pal, not mine.

PS: (You're trying too hard!) ;)

NewtoConsulting
01-18-2013, 17:17
Perhaps, you should explain yourself more clearly. :)

Ok good advice. From now on I will suggest idiots not make assumptions.

AnthonySmithXR
01-18-2013, 17:59
On a similar topic, is there anyway to rapid dry fire (ie, some mechanism to reset the trigger w/o messing with the slide). Or is dry firing limited to slow firing? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzianDragonz
02-05-2013, 16:04
You can use the trigger reset kit from glockstore.com.

http://www.glockstore.com/trigger-reset-kit-for-glock

It requires you to replace the current trigger setup but that's the only way I've seen to dry fire a Glock without having to rack the slide.

It's kinda pricey in my opinion, especially if you get the laser bullet that they also sell. Also if you're using this to practice with your primary HD/SD gun switching out the trigger assembly can be a pain every time you want to switch back to live fire.

cciman
02-05-2013, 21:32
Life is all about risk.

There are those who understand the added safety of wearing seat belts and motorcycle helmets; there are others who don't believe in it.

Dry firing a Glock without a snap cap is relatively safe, unless you make a continual habit of doing it. Glock is recommending it now, because there are nit-wits who are purposefully dry firing it 1,000 times a night then complaining of breechface damage, and wanting a free replacement.

Drops of water hitting a stone will ultimately carve a hole in it.

tonyparson
02-05-2013, 21:48
Drops of water hitting a stone will ultimately carve a hole in it.

So true!!!!

AustinTx
02-05-2013, 21:51

That's almost entirely true.

But, I discovered, that I can drop a round into the chamber, ease the slide closed and then just push on the rear, of the slide. Some Glocks don't require anything except thumb pressure, on the rear of the slide and others will lock up, with a bump, of your palm. That comes in handy to load a snap cap, without having to empty a loaded mag.

They don't like to jump the rim, with the slide going full speed, though.

AnthonySmithXR
02-06-2013, 12:09

It requires you to replace the current trigger setup but that's the only way I've seen to dry fire a Glock without having to rack the slide.

It's kinda pricey in my opinion, especially if you get the laser bullet that they also sell. Also if you're using this to practice with your primary HD/SD gun switching out the trigger assembly can be a pain every time you want to switch back to live fire.

Thanks. I agree with your assessment.

F106 Fan
02-06-2013, 13:35

That is a neat device - thanks for posting the link. I would like to have such a thing, including the laser magic bullet, for my G21SF.

Given sufficient dry firing with a laser and target, I might get to shooting the Glock pretty well.

I'm not thrilled about having to tear the gun apart every time I want to change modes but I can deal with it.

Richard

AustinTx
02-06-2013, 22:07
Ok good advice. From now on I will suggest idiots not make assumptions.

You, sir, are rude. I got chastised for rude and I didn't go anywhere near that bad. Just my opinion, though.

uaengineer
02-06-2013, 22:59
I just like snap caps for malfunction/reload practice. Fun fun

NewtoConsulting
02-11-2013, 01:05
You, sir, are rude. I got chastised for rude and I didn't go anywhere near that bad. Just my opinion, though.

I would agree that these forums don't always bring out the best in everyone. I just can't stand the forum sniper guy waiting to bugger up a sensible and serious conversation with nonsense. Going forward I will try to just ignore posts not meant to add serious value. It will probably make the offender so mad that they pass out yelling at their computer :).

I have been using some of the tips from members here in the forum when I practice. When I dry fire I feed a snap cap from a magazine and pulling the slide just enough to reset the trigger but not eject the snap cap. The time I take to manually reset the trigger is good to slow me down and make me think about the proper grip and trigger pull.

My G21 will be the first of many Glocks in my collection. Thanks to those posting on topic suggestions!

NMPOPS
02-11-2013, 03:28
I have a Gen 2 G-19 (my oldest Glock) that I occasionally dry fire after cleaning or when doing presentation drills and over the years have probably dry fired it 6-7 thousand times with no adverse affects.

bill4282
02-11-2013, 23:57
Doing too much snap cap training can subconsciously alter proper grip pressures which is a problem when going back to full house. Like going from .22 conversion to full power.