Wal-Mart Ammo Story [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Ammo Story

Line Rider
01-17-2013, 06:22
Tuesday night after a L O N G day at work I decided to run thru Walley World and pick up a pie or cake. I had a few extra minutes so I walked back to sporting goods. When I got there the ammo cabnet looked like old Mother Hubbbard's cupbroad, execpt for 3 box of PPU .45 ACP. I asked the Wally World guy hold them until Wednesday seeing as I didn't have $70.00 extra at that time. He said he would. So I wrote my name and phone number and sheet of paper and he taped them all together.

Yesterday I went back, half thinking that they were gone. Well I was surprised to find them still there. Another guy was working the desk. I got them and paid him. Then I tucked the ammo under my left arm like a quarterback running for the end zone thinking the wife is going to have a fit but OH Well. :dunno:

md2lgyk
01-17-2013, 07:08
Must be a regional thing. My WalMart here in WV has plenty of ammo. I went in the other day to pick up some .380 and there were five brands to choose from.

vista461
01-17-2013, 07:50
At the one I was at yesterday there were ten 100rd boxes of .45 acp and that was about it for handgun ammo.

Made me wish I had a .45

Brucev
01-17-2013, 09:05
Keep you eyes open. Have friends and family be on the look out. We have worked out an arrangement where if they see any ammo I need, they will buy it and I will reimburse them.

There is ammo is some stores. Yesterday I was in a ACE Hardware store. In the case were a number of boxes of rifle ammo. And... some nice Rem. .22 LR ammo... and some Rem. Yellow Jackets which is a hyper-velocity .22 LR round. The store owner said I could buy it all if I wanted it, so I did. Today I will be out visiting church members. There is a gun shop about 30 miles away where they have some .22 LR ammo in stock. They also have a lot of handgun/rifle ammo. I intend to buy whatever .22 LR ammo is allowed.

USMCsilver
01-17-2013, 11:45
Went to my WM today; I don't need anything, but was gonna buy some "just because" and more never hurts.

I saw about 27 50-ct boxes of what I thought were Remington Subsonic .22. I was stoked!

I called the girl over, and told her I wanted the bundle of the subsonics. She corrected me, and stated they were .22-shorts.

Well, ****.

Looked like the same boxes to me from across the counter.

She then proceeded to tell me they were out of all .22LR and then pointed to the sign that she posted in the glass ammo window: "WE ARE OUT OF THE FOLLOWING AMMO -- .22, .380, .38, .357,, .40, 9MM, .223, .308, 7.62X39"

I chuckled and told her she needed to have printed it on neon paper.

Oh well, so much for my adventure.

Shiloh228
01-17-2013, 12:00
Stopped by a local WM today (allegedly the WM store selling the most ammo on the East Coast...), saw (again/still) that there was no 9mm to feed my G19-in-waiting.

Overheard the clerk say that "we're told not to order any more" and it "might be 4-6 months" before they had [whatever the other customer was looking for].

Left shaking my head...

My take-away: considering another post on GT with the real story about WM ammo policy, I believe this lowly clerk didn't know what he was talking about.

I believe the real story is the the WM Mother Ship is telling local stores something like "don't order ammo, because WM HQ is handling ammo re-stocking with its legendary inventory management system, in consideration of the current state of reduced supply with our wholesalers...you'll get your allotment as soon we and the legendary system figure this s*** out."

As far as the "4-6 months" I conclude the clerk had just come back from a doobie break. Or probably the same message from the WM Mother Ship said something like: "we expect the situation to be back to normal in 4-6 months."

See how much one can learn from eavesdropping?

I will continue to drop by the WM whenever I'm in the area...and also order on line.

SCmasterblaster
01-17-2013, 12:17
WalMart here in West Lebanon, NH is empty. There are a lot of gun owners here.