DIY Install Night Sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DIY Install Night Sights?

Cy Baggs
01-17-2013, 09:09
How difficult is it to install night sights on a G19? Any special tools needed? Any advice appreciated.

White7
01-17-2013, 09:41
you can do it with a punch but a sight tool is way easier,,get one of there for $60
http://www.sightpusher.com/

onearmsteve
01-18-2013, 08:40
i would pay a reputable gun shop thirty bucks to do it.Most will do it for free if you buy the sights from them

Cy Baggs
01-18-2013, 08:59
Thanks for the response. I want to do it myself because it seems to often I am disappointed with the work done by "professionals" from whom you expect a good job and got otherwise. I recall many years ago I took a great little Ruger Mark II to a well-known local gunsmith for basic trigger and sight mods and many months later I got back a piece of crap that spit out several rounds every squeeze of the trigger and had very crude workmanship on sights. Now when I hear of an interesting used firearm for sale then find out it has been worked on orimproved in any way I run. So I guess I'm saying that if it is going to get done I'll have to do it myself, so any hints, tips, or suggestions are appreciated.

onearmsteve
01-18-2013, 09:26
sight pusher and a you tube video and youll be set

Boxerglocker
01-18-2013, 12:01
You do not necessarily need a sight pusher... in fact a number of sight manufacturers recommend not using them as the mar the rear sight. What you do need is a solid padded vice. I use a phenolic drift and dead blow hammer to tap the sight in place. Depending on the might you may have to file/profile the dovetail to be able at least push the sight half way through by hand pressure only.

Cy Baggs
01-18-2013, 12:48
Sounds doable (is that a word?) How about the front? Tool needed? Any tips? Thanks!!!

Dave.1
01-18-2013, 16:08
Have you picked the sights yet? Some are harder to do than others, so a pusher will probably be needed.

I've used Aro Tek sights and they are simple screw on sights. They give you the nut driver for the front and an allen wrench for the rear. All you need to do is tap out the old ones with a wooden dowel.
http://www.arotek.com/orderform.aspx

Dave

badcard
01-19-2013, 07:45
I did a set of Aro Teks also with no issues, but some Mec-Gar target sights I tried got stuck halfway in the dovetail. Ended up taking that one in to a gunsmith after beating on it started to scare me.

Cy Baggs
01-19-2013, 08:05
Thanks everyone!!! I see just what I think I want on Aro-tek and install looks simple. I think I want the ghost ring / aro glow dot #5000160. Even says "no pusher required....Includes all tools needed for installation.

What I am trying to fix is my problem sighting. Since getting older and losing my near vision i can't see my sights in focus. I am thinking that this combo will help. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks again to everyone for your valuable advice.