TruGlo TFO sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TruGlo TFO sights

JBowl1
01-17-2013, 14:22
Anyone have TruGlo TFO sights on their Glocks? I think they look interesting (combining the best of both worlds with fiber optic and tritium). I was wondering 1) If they actually are good sights, 2) Are they too big that they interfere with traditional holsters or IWB holsters (they look big)? Thanks.

--JWB

GunHo198
01-17-2013, 14:26
Got them on my G27, and G30. Love them as the fiber optics work great in the daylight. And they are just as bright at night. Yes, the front site post is a bit long. But it's made of metal so it's not going to break. It did rub a little on my cheap fobus holster. But I took a grinder to the holster and smoothed it out.

dling
01-17-2013, 15:14
I have them on two of mine, I like them a lot.

Adamz04
01-17-2013, 15:15
I have been considering these sights as well. Hopefully many will chime in with high praise.

ColdSteelNail
01-17-2013, 15:42
I put a set on my M&P 45 full size. They are super in all light and are no problem with my Blackhawk Serpa. I may put a set on my P226.

Taphius
01-17-2013, 16:03
I've had them on my g23 for about a year and a half, I like them very much.

OJ.
01-17-2013, 18:11
I have them on a Sig and like them, lots of stories about the fiber rod falling out, but not in my experience.

adam1866
01-17-2013, 18:22
I have them on my glock 23 and 20. Really like them much better than the factory glock night sights.

G17nSTORM
01-17-2013, 20:28
I have them on both my 17 and 26, love em, pick up a set and don't look back. CRAZY bright in daylight tritium lights up low light.

Minnow
01-18-2013, 01:51
My opinion: Crappy product, crappy company, and only a 90 day warranty to boot.

SouthpawG26
01-18-2013, 03:42
I will not advise anyone to use the search function. I had to sit in the corner for such remarks in the past, and perhaps rightly so, as newbies should be assisted in the most constructive way.

But, I will say that lots of experienced owners have put up at least 20pages of useful info on this subject in the past, and most of them will not repost all of their insights again. Which means that all previous useful info will not reappear not this thread, yet remains readily available elesewhere on this forum.

ColdSteelNail
01-18-2013, 19:05

Can you be specific?

Keoking
01-18-2013, 20:02

I have them on 5 or 6 Glocks and wouldn't trade them for anything, but their quality and consistency leaves a lot to be desired. Some are nearly impossible to fit in the dovetail, while others could nearly slide right through. Some have an excellent finish, and others peel and scuff with no use at all. All this aside, they are the best combination day and night sights on the market. If all of mine broke next week, I would buy more sets of TFOs across the board.

Minnow
01-18-2013, 22:53
Can you be specific?

They farm out their machining to garden variety shops and are not willing to pay for worthy tolerances. This results in fiber optic light pipes that fall out sometimes, sights that fit into dovetails poorly, and they back them with an all powerful 90 day warranty. Your tritium kicks the bucket or a light pipe snaps or falls out and your SOL. Oh ya, you can mail them in and they'll repair them, for a price.
In my opinion they are oversize and look hideous as well.

4095fanatic
01-19-2013, 00:08
I will not advise anyone to use the search function. I had to sit in the corner for such remarks in the past, and perhaps rightly so, as newbies should be assisted in the most constructive way.

But, I will say that lots of experienced owners have put up at least 20pages of useful info on this subject in the past, and most of them will not repost all of their insights again. Which means that all previous useful info will not reappear not this thread, yet remains readily available elesewhere on this forum.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449040&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453559&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1449040&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1427644&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1410155&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415305&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353276&highlight=TruGlo+TFO

...and literally over a hundred more threads that address this. Not to discourage you from posting, but I advise trying a search first...

RCP
01-19-2013, 00:18
I have em on my 26 and am happy with them. No issues thus far and they've been on there for 6 months.

aubie515
01-19-2013, 09:39
I don't like Glocks, but I just installed TFO's on my XD45 the other night. I was always skeptical about TFO's, but everyone on XDtalk like them, so I bought a set to try.

During the day the FO is very bright...and the tritium is very bright at night, so thus far I like them...but time will tell.

Bruce M
01-19-2013, 15:42
I find them very good for aging eyes. I have them on a USP that I carry during the week and on a G26 that I often carry weekends and sporadically as an ankle backup. Each of those sets is approaching two years without issues.

onearmsteve
01-19-2013, 16:12
wont own anything but TFO

carguy2244
01-19-2013, 16:39
I've had them on my Glocks for several years, and wouldn't carry with anything else.

I got my son a Glock 19 with TFOs for his 21st birthday, when he got his carry permit. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Karnivore
01-19-2013, 16:39
I have them on a G23 for 8-9 years and love them. Put a set on my Kimber carry gun after the great service with the G23 sights.

To each his own.

Keoking
01-19-2013, 16:40
A guy once a pic of several guns with different sights, taken in the dark. I didn't the links in 4095fanatic's post to see if one of them has the pic.
Anyhow, the pic tells the story. The FO focuses the tritium, resulting in a night sight brightness that is unparalleled.

okiedave
01-19-2013, 20:14
I just put some on my EDC G27 yesterday. They look great in the light or the dark. I am looking forward to shooting with them.

SARDG
01-21-2013, 17:19

That's correct. Search for TruGlo for posts from me. Some detailed stuff.

gordo993
01-21-2013, 20:14
I have had a set on my EDC 26 for over a year - no issues at all! Plan on getting a set for my new 19 as well...

Guntrainer
01-21-2013, 22:14
All of my Glocks are work guns, and they all have the TFO sights. Would not have another type of sight on a gun carried for duty or defense.:supergrin:

Libertarian71
01-21-2013, 22:18
These are my favorite sights. Very bright during the day.

Toetag
01-21-2013, 22:33
Got'em on my G19...nice and bright during all grades of lighting. I'm happy with mine.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Bullman
01-21-2013, 23:04
I love mine, have them on my G22 and G23 and would like to get a set for my G20. I have had the light pipe on my front site work loose a little but it wasnt anything a little superglue wouldn't fix.

cpham9006
01-22-2013, 09:32
I have them on my Glock and XD. No regrets!!!!

Ladd Gardner
02-06-2013, 10:10
I have Truglo TFOs on four Glocks, and I'd agree with the post, earlier in the thread, that commented on "consistency issues."

Also agree that the Truglo customer service is nonexistent: They have an option to email a question, but that's an exercise in futility, and there's no option for speaking with anybody. They have a phone, but it's "Dealer's Only," exclamation point. They cater to the folks who sell their product, but purchasers are pretty much on their own.

My experience with the sights has been hit 'n' miss, with some Glocks shooting POA/POI, and some (both my Glock 30 and 36) hitting high with TruGlo sights.

There are many threads, web-wide, that feature user annoyance with TruGlo's habit of manufacturing sights whose front/rear sight-housings don't align properly with the glowing dots.

In other words, if you're accustomed to forming a flat plane by filling the notch in your rear sight with the post in the front sight, you will find that your TruGlo dots don't align properly: The front dot will be very slightly high, in many instances. Similarly, if you align all three dots, perfectly, then the front sight's metal housing will appear to be very slightly below the notch in the rear sight.

Both my Glock 30 and Glock 36 suffer from this, with the result that shots hit 3" +/- high at a distance of 50' on the range. This is a bench-fired result, and both guns "zero," perfectly when shot from the same padded bench rest, same shooter, only substituting Trijicon sights for the TruGlos.

When I notice this, the most, is during very bright, sunny days at our local range (outdoor), when there's a combination of very bright back-lighting (snow-covered ground, facing north and firing from dark, shed-roof-covered benches.

This is sort of a "worst-case-scenario" since our outdoor range (at 6600' here in mountain colorado) is very dark, where you're standing and shooting, and the targets are VERY bright, placed on plywood target backstops, illuminated by direct sunlight, plus reflected light from the snow on the ground.

When you look at your TruGlow TFO sights (given the above described conditions), the brightness of the tritium isn't a factor, and there's no ambient or overhead light around the shooting benches to illuminate the fiber-optic tubes.

What you're left with is a black pistol silhouette, with black iron sights (no glowing "dots" at all), and you revert to your most basic knowledge about "sight picture" and shooting discipline. You align the front sight post (the metal housing) with the rear sight's metal housing notch, and you level front with back, center up and shoot.

Both my compact Glocks hit high in this scenario. The only way to avoid is to experiment with different holds (e.g., "six o'clock," etc) but that's a frustrating concession to a bad sight design.

To my mind, there's a simple fix, and that entails manufacturing a sight system that provides for both the "dots" and the metal housings to be vertically synchronous, instead of completely different.