Anyone have an LC9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an LC9

SiberianErik
01-17-2013, 18:24
I just finished up my Ruger Certifications at work and I can have one Ruger (p/yr) at cost. I sell a ton of the LC9's and really like them. I am looking for mainly pocket carry so...what is the consensus on them ??

hdking46
01-17-2013, 18:42
i have had one for a couple months carry it in pocket of my shorts.. have carried snups,380,s and really like lc9 shoots great (long trigger) but not that bad have had worse..keltec that is... cant beat price great gun for money 2 thumbs up from me:number1:

c01
01-17-2013, 19:16
tagged....

cscsguy1
01-17-2013, 19:52
Thumbs up for me also.... it was the first pistol I bought and I really like it as my ccw
After buying my second pistol I realized I want to change the trigger pull as it causes me to pull down and to the right (I'm missing the tip of my index finger so it is enuf of a reach already.
Also fits great in pockets and for summer carry!

RGbiker
01-17-2013, 20:01
I bought one of the first LC9 to hit the market. Shot well. Loaded with California safety features, one easily removed.

I didn't care for the long trigger pull, therefore I sold it early last year to a friend who couldn't live without a Ruger LC9.

Galloway Precision now makes aftermarket trigger/trigger bar/hammer assemblies that, IMO, makes the LC9 a more pleasant pocket carry gun.

M2 Carbine
01-17-2013, 20:10
I happened to be in the gun store when the first one was delivered. Feb. 2011.
I liked it, bought it and thought I'd give it a workout. Over a thousand rounds in the first eight days.
I stopped counting rounds at over 1,700 trouble free shots.

I sometimes pocket carry it but it's too big for most of my pockets.

I liked the gun so well I bought a second one for a spare.:)

wrenrj1
I have one, personally I think it's a bit too big for pocket carry, saying that I carry an LCP when pocket carrying. I've had difficulty finding an IWB LH holster but finally found one. Shot about 100 rounds thru mine, no problems, but still not comfortable with carrying it accuracy wise. I like the feel of it, but I'm just not good with it yet. I'll stay with the G26 for now, or as stated the LCP for pocket carry.

bushhogg
Yep, good pocket gun for up close and personal... Its not a target gun though....Its just got to much trigger for me...

M2 Carbine
01-17-2013, 20:20
Yeah that's true, it's not a target gun but it will get the job done.

Standing, two hands, 52 yards.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC952yardtarget.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC952imissyardtarget.jpg

Up close shooting.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC910yardsslowfireWWBfiring.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC97yardsfastfiring.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC910yardsfastfiring.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/RugerLC9targets.jpg

SiberianErik
01-18-2013, 13:05
Nice shooting M2..:wow:

well I am having my gunsmith go thru the 3 we have in the used case and he picked me up one that appears to never have been fired. :supergrin: I am going to just grab that for what we have in it (about $225 :cool:) instead of waiting for Ruger to send me a new one(4 weeks) .

Breadman03
01-18-2013, 13:43
The top three were my first three at 25 yards to show my wife it wasn't the sights.... I dialed in the laser off of that group and the rest of that paper were her shots with the laser at 25 yards. It was her first day shooting.

The target is about 12".

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa479/Breadman03/e93b78ea.jpg

I think it is a little big for pocket duty, but probably not too bad without the pinkie extension.

bmoore
01-18-2013, 13:55
Mine is a lemon. When my son wakes up I am driving to my UPS hub to ship it back to Ruger. Fails to extract the case out of the chamber about 2 out of every 50. Tried 4 different kinds of ammo. I have about 300 rounds throught it. I am bummed because I really like the gun. Hopefully Ruger will get me squared away.

up1911fan
01-18-2013, 13:56
I don't like the trigger, mag disconnect, or LCI. I have a CM9 on the way.

JUSTBOB
01-18-2013, 14:43
Mine is a lemon. When my son wakes up I am driving to my UPS hub to ship it back to Ruger. Fails to extract the case out of the chamber about 2 out of every 50. Tried 4 different kinds of ammo. I have about 300 rounds throught it. I am bummed because I really like the gun. Hopefully Ruger will get me squared away.

Me too. Just got back from dropping it off at UPS. Purchased new, first trip to the range. Failed to extract 15 out of 70 rounds fired. Really disappointed. Bought it for CCW, but it's going to take a lot of range time now, to get my confidence up to an acceptable level.

Just glad I have my old reliable G26. No need to ever worry about it. I trust my life with it every day. I just pray I never have a real need to use it.

FLglockdude
01-18-2013, 15:17
I briefly looked at an LC9 when I was shopping for a pocket nine. I decided against it for several reasons, the gun is too big for pocket carry IMO, the trigger sucks, and it has way too many nanny 'safety' features. I decided on a Kahr CM9. It pocket carries great, has a beautiful trigger, no ridiculous safety features, and mine has been totally reliable.

Chesafreak
01-18-2013, 16:15
I have one and think its slightly too big for pocket carry unless you have really big pockets. The trigger is great for a CC pistol but terrible for accuracy. I installed a Galloway trigger kit in mine, which shortened the trigger travel by half. The LC9 is a tackdriver if you can get used to the trigger pull or install a Galloway kit.

I heard that Ruger is introducing 9 round extended mags for the LC9 but they haven't shown up on shopruger.com yet.

After installing the Galloway kit:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1257794/2012-06-15%2018.28.30-2.jpg

G23Gen4TX
01-18-2013, 17:13
I liked it but replaced mine with the Shield. I did not like that trigger.

WiskyT
01-18-2013, 17:50
I don't know how many thousands of rounds have been through mine, probably 3,000. It's never missed a beat. I have since removed the manual safety since it digs into my love handle (I Mexican carry it a lot). It does fine in a pocket if you are wearing shorts or khakis, something that is loose fitting. If you're wearing a tight pair of jeans, forget it.

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee460/Wiskyt/P3040343.jpg

bmoore
01-18-2013, 17:51
Me too. Just got back from dropping it off at UPS. Purchased new, first trip to the range. Failed to extract 15 out of 70 rounds fired. Really disappointed. Bought it for CCW, but it's going to take a lot of range time now, to get my confidence up to an acceptable level.

Just glad I have my old reliable G26. No need to ever worry about it. I trust my life with it every day. I just pray I never have a real need to use it.

Yep, same thing with me. Just sent it off a couple hours ago. I hope they get it worked out.

Jim B in CO
01-18-2013, 18:47
Make sure you loosen the set screw that holds the rear sight in place, apply red loctite and re-tighten. Mine came loose :steamed: (although it's been fine since I loctited the screw). Other than that, it's been good. As others have said, the trigger isn't great and it's not terribly accurate but it's a carry gun, not a target pistol. It's definitely more comfortable for me to carry than a G27; I love how it's so thin.

Bruce M
01-18-2013, 18:53

I would bet that Ruger will have the pistols back to you fairly quickly and that they will solve the problems.

It is a good gun but I agree a but too big for my pockets.

bmoore
01-18-2013, 20:24
I would bet that Ruger will have the pistols back to you fairly quickly and that they will solve the problems.

It is a good gun but I agree a but too big for my pockets.

I have no doubt they will. Their customer service is great, that being said I would prefer to not ever need the customer service dept. Shouldn't be a big deal, the lady told me 10-12day turn around.

Adam5
01-19-2013, 12:48
I don't understand the complaints of not being accurate. I can shoot palm sized groups all day long at 10 yards with mine. You just have to get used to the DA trigger.

Mine is nearing 1,000 rounds and has never had a failure of any kind.

Carried IWB at 4:00 it just disappears.

MNBud
01-19-2013, 15:21
I bought an LC9 after I found out how long I would be waiting for a Sig 938 SAS to become available.It certainly is comfortable to carry outside the waistband, as others have said, it is a long trigger pull, but I find it to be very manageable.

willieH
01-20-2013, 06:29
So far the LC9 has been reliable and the thin design makes for easy carry. Of my other compact pistols, I tend to carry the Ruger most often during my normal routines. However, while traveling or ventures to unfamiliar parts of town I'll choose something else.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/22/LC9inholster.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/22/EDC.jpg

Samned2003
01-20-2013, 07:47
I bought one about 6 months ago with the Crimson Trace Laser and it has been flawless. It is very accurate and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

FelixD
01-20-2013, 10:40
I must admit I really like mine, but my reasons may seem strange to some. I like the longgggg trigger pull. The reason is there will not be an accidental discharge under stress. I like the loaded chamber indicator. I can feel it in darkness if necessary. The mag safety is meaningless to me. I've been using S&W sa/da pistols for decades. The external safety is nice when I carry it in an overcoat pocket, the gun works with a very wide assortment of ammo, and functions even when loose in the hand. The size is the same as the KT PF9 and fits in cargo pockets easily.

seamaster
01-20-2013, 13:45
I must admit I really like mine, but my reasons may seem strange to some. I like the longgggg trigger pull. The reason is there will not be an accidental discharge under stress. I like the loaded chamber indicator. I can feel it in darkness if necessary. The mag safety is meaningless to me. I've been using S&W sa/da pistols for decades. The external safety is nice when I carry it in an overcoat pocket, the gun works with a very wide assortment of ammo, and functions even when loose in the hand. The size is the same as the KT PF9 and fits in cargo pockets easily.

I'm with you on this. I like the long but SMOOTH trigger, LCI and manual safety.

I tried a few holsters but I still like the versa carry the best.

Dwilson295
01-20-2013, 15:34
Have had mine for quite a while. It carries so good in a DM Bullard IWB that I sometimes forget its there. No problems with reliability using gold dot. It is a little big for pocket carry but that's why I also have an LCP. I don't really mind the trigger. It just takes a little practice to pull it all the way through and don't think about when it is going to break. The only safety device I don't really care for is the mag disconnect. You don't have to use the manual safety and the loaded chamber indicator doesn't affect function. I have found that the accuracy is perfectly acceptable for a defensive weapon.

pipedreams
01-20-2013, 16:07
Really enjoy my LC9 but it is a bit heavy for pocket carry. Works great for IWB during summer. Quite accurate for a small gun and I can keep all my shots on a paper plate 25 feet.

SiberianErik
01-20-2013, 16:24
well , thank you panic buyers. I went into work yesterday for 8:00 am. We open at 9. Over night we got a shipment of AR's, SIG556's and a ton of ammo. I was so busy selling that I did not even get to the bathroom until 11:00am. Guess what ? all three LC's were sold. :(

Good news, I made about $1k in personal commissions :)
Bad news, no more LC9 available. I had to fax my order to Ruger for a NIB one for $250.00

WayneJessie
01-20-2013, 21:07
I don't like the trigger, mag disconnect, or LCI. I have a CM9 on the way.

I easily remedied the trigger and mag disconnect. It's sweet now. Mine has about 1000 trouble free rounds through it. No brass to the head ever. It slings brass into the next county. Ruger's customer service is tops in my experience.

cscsguy1
01-20-2013, 22:28
I easily remedied the trigger and mag disconnect. It's sweet now. Mine has about 1000 trouble free rounds through it. No brass to the head ever. It slings brass into the next county. Ruger's customer service is tops in my experience.

How so.on the trigger?

Chesafreak
01-21-2013, 05:46
It slings brass into the next county.

At the range, the person in the lane to my right frequently gets fed up with my shower of brass raining down on them and leaves. I have started standing close to the right side of my lane so that my brass bounces off of the wall instead of flying over the top.

WayneJessie
01-21-2013, 08:23
How so.on the trigger?

I took the trigger bar & hammer out and mailed it to Galloway Precision. Had it back in 5 days. They even have the how-to videos on their site to walk you through the whole thing. It does not make a lighter trigger but it does make the pull on par with other handguns.

Lowjiber
01-21-2013, 08:35
I have one that I carry as a BUG in the holster built into my 5.11 vest. Mine has never failed and is pretty darn accurate if you're able to handle the long trigger pull.

bmoore
01-21-2013, 10:10
I hope they get mine running, I really like those guns.

JUSTBOB
02-01-2013, 13:23

Well, I got it back and I'm happy with it so far. First trip to the range, and it was flawless. They replaced the barrel, but didn't explain what was wrong with the original.

I thought it was an extractor issue. Could it be that the chamber was too tight, and that prevented a constitant extraction of the spent brass?

WiskyT
02-01-2013, 16:01
I thought it was an extractor issue. Could it be that the chamber was too tight, and that prevented a constitant extraction of the spent brass?

Not likely. Brass expands to fit the chamber and then contracts a tiny bit, allowing it to come out. If the chamber was big enough to allow the unfired round in, it should let it back out. A rough chamber can lead to difficult extraction, but that is pretty easily cured with polishing. They may have found it easier to replace your barrel instead of polishing it, but I wouldn't think so.

There may have been something wrong with the way the extractor groove was cut in the chamber. I honsetly don't know what could be wrong with a barrel that couldn't be cleaned up that would cause extraction issues, but I doubt it's from the chamber being too small ("tight").

I'm also not any kind of a gunsmith, so hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

I also wouldn't rule out the idea that what the tech does to the gun is different than what is reportedly done. The guy might change the extractor, which is the real problem, and drop in a new barrel because he saw it as possibly contributing to the problem some how, and then just puts "replaced barrel" in his report. They might not put that much importance on the report as long as the gun works properly.

Some companies won't even tell you what they did because they figure it's not your business since they are the ones paying for it. My father would often do that when he was a field engineer. Depending on the circumstances, he would basically just tell the customer that the equipment was fixed. Since it always was, they never got any more out of him than that.

ESI
02-01-2013, 17:10
I hate the trigger other then that it's 100% reliable/easy to carry.:supergrin:

Breadman03
02-02-2013, 06:50
Well, I got it back and I'm happy with it so far. First trip to the range, and it was flawless. They replaced the barrel, but didn't explain what was wrong with the original.

I sent them my LCR due to a transfer bar issue. They replaced every moving part on the gun, including the cylinder. I think they just want to make sure it is fixed the first time instead of skimping and having it sent back a second time.