Buying a rifle through a personal owner? (NC) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying a rifle through a personal owner? (NC)

cnsk1982
01-17-2013, 18:53
Hi all,

I'm from NC. Any NC people here can give me some tip on how to purchase a rifle legally through a personal owner.
Found a rifle that I like , however, what steps do I need to make this purchase legal?

Bill of sale?
Exchange information?
License #?
Do we need to go to FFL dealer to make it legal exchange?
How do I know if the gun is hot or not?

Thanks

wk9k
01-18-2013, 00:18
Hi all,

I'm from NC. Any NC people here can give me some tip on how to purchase a rifle legally through a personal owner.
Found a rifle that I like , however, what steps do I need to make this purchase legal?

Bill of sale?
I would make out a bill of sale a copy for each of you and both sign
Exchange information?
No
License #?
I would take a pic of the license
No
You dont know, unless you want to call the PD and get it checked out..? If you do buy it at least you will have a bill of sale and a pic of his license..that was if it comes out it is hot you have proof of where you got it. This is what I did when I sold my shotgun to someone..

Thanks

Bill of sale?
I would make out a bill of sale a copy for each of you and both sign
Exchange information?
No
License #?
I would take a pic of the license
No
You dont know, unless you want to call the PD and get it checked out..? If you do buy it at least you will have a bill of sale and a pic of his license..that was if it comes out it is hot you have proof of where you got it. This is what I did when I sold my shotgun to someone..

cnsk1982
01-18-2013, 05:33
Thanks

railfancwb
01-18-2013, 06:00
Even going through a FFL is no assurance the gun isn't hot. Read about a guy who bought a gun from a dealer and later pawned it, at which time it showed up as stolen. Transposition of a couple digits in the serial number could cause this.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

nbkky71
01-18-2013, 10:56
While you certainly can use an FFL to handle an in-state transfer on a long gun, there is no requirement to do so in NC.

You need will need to make sure that the buyer is at least 18 years of age and a current NC resident. Showing a NC driver's license or state-issued ID card will suffice. No background check is required for private long gun transfers , but some folks ask to see a pistol purchase permit or a valid NC concealed carry permit to satisfy elligibility. A bill of sale is not required but generally recommended.

01-18-2013, 11:15
Internet advice on legal matters - use at your own risk.

garya1961
01-18-2013, 11:28
While you certainly can use an FFL to handle an in-state transfer on a long gun, there is no requirement to do so in NC.

You need will need to make sure that the buyer is at least 18 years of age and a current NC resident. Showing a NC driver's license or state-issued ID card will suffice. No background check is required for private long gun transfers , but some folks ask to see a pistol purchase permit or a valid NC concealed carry permit to satisfy elligibility. A bill of sale is not required but generally recommended.
This.

wk9k
01-18-2013, 12:33
Internet advice on legal matters - use at your own risk.

Im from NC and its not advice. Really you dont need anything but make sure they are over 18 and what I and garya said. Its in the NC statute for selling a long gun privately. But I would do the bill of sale and take a pic of the permit or liscense just for me.

boomhower
01-18-2013, 13:18
For a long gun a permit is not required but for my CYA purposes I always make sure they have one, I don't keep it but take a picture. It may cost me a sale but I don't care, I'd rather my butt be covered as much as possible. It's not required and the buyer is free to refuse. Your only required to make verify they are a resident over 18.

Shocker73
01-18-2013, 17:11
Since your buying and not selling you need to ask the seller what they require. I require and would not give more than proof of age (NCDL) and sign a bill of sale.

WiskyT
01-18-2013, 17:14
The Cabarrus County Sheriff'f office will run a gun through NCIC to see if it's stolen. You have to hand them the gun for them to do this. If it's stolen, they won't hand it back. I don't know if other SO's do this or not.

Also, I don't know how they deal with the logistics of bringing a gun into a LE facility. I certainly wouldn't just walk in there with it. I would leave it in the car and walk in and ask about it, or call and get the name of the person who gives you instructions on how to bring it in. Maybe a Deputy can do it in the field rather than have you bring it in to the station house.

countrygun
01-18-2013, 17:21
In Oregon I always get a signed bill of sale and match it to the seller's ID, I do the same for them if they wish. Very few people will sell a gun they know is hot if they have to leave a trail back to themselves.

concretefuzzynuts
01-18-2013, 17:23
When I sell I exchange a bill of sale, prefer a CCP as ID and meet in a very public place.

If I buy I exchange a bill of sale, show my CCP and meet in a very public place.

When I meet the person on a buy I can tell who I'm dealing with. I have never encountered the criminal type. You see, they don't advertise or go to gun shows. They sell out of the trunk of a car or a back room, to other criminal types they know.