Citadel Compact vs. RIA Compact [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Compact vs. RIA Compact

Redstate
01-17-2013, 20:46
I just tried out my buddy's RIA Compact (CS with dove tail sights) and it was great. I went to try to find one to buy, but none anywhere. I did come across a Citadel Compact for a little more money than my buddy paid for his RIA. Tempted to buy the Citadel.
Questions:
1. Is this the same gun as the RIA, made by the same manufacturer?

2. Does the Citadel also have a lifetime warranty like the RIA?

3. How difficult is it to put an ambi safety on one of these?

Thanks.

bac1023
01-17-2013, 21:57
Same gun

Both are built by Armscor.

Redstate
01-20-2013, 17:54
I guess not too many here on GT are into these. You would think that the the price level, they would be pretty popular.

bac1023
01-20-2013, 19:26
I believe it has the same warranty the RIA does.

Redstate
01-20-2013, 19:39
Thanks bac1023. Ended up putting the Citadel on layaway. Now I need to figure out how to install an ambi safety.

countrygun
01-20-2013, 20:29
Thanks bac1023. Ended up putting the Citadel on layaway. Now I need to figure out how to install an ambi safety.

If you can strip it, you can install the ambi. You might have to relieve the right grip.

I hope you're a lefty, otherwise IMO the ambi is a pain.

Redstate
01-20-2013, 22:18
Yes, I am a lefty.
Not worried about the woodworking, but I don't think it will be necessary on this type of safety from Rock Island; however, it looks like the sear pin holds the right side safety on these Citadels. Looks like it has a pin with a slot for the right safety to ride in. This is based on my observation of a full size Citadel (9mm 1911) with a factory ambi safety.
Never have taken a 1911 completely apart. My concern is getting the sear pin in correctly lined up with the sear.

gunsmoke92
01-20-2013, 23:14
You should not have to bother the sear/disconnect pin, nor the hammer pin at all, as they are covered by the thumb safety. The pin for the thumb safety actually retains the grip safety. Once the left side is installed, it should only be a matter of inserting the right side and lining up the slot to connect the two parts.

Good Luck

Redstate
01-21-2013, 10:18
Thanks Gunsmoke. I was checking out some You Tube videos on this issue and have found that that is likely the case, unless I get the RIA ambi, in which case, like the Colt Officer model, the right side safety rides in a slot in the sear pin.

sna0403
01-21-2013, 17:20
For about $25.00 you can get an ambi safety and sear pin from Advanced Tactical (RIA) in Nevada. I've installed 2, one in a 4" RIA and one in a 5" ATI. The nice thing about the sear pin (required for their ambi-safety) that's used is that you don't have to modify your grips or buy ambi-cut grips. Only fitting I did was to the arm that engages the trigger bow. I'm no smith but I did it with very little problem.

Redstate
01-21-2013, 19:53
For about $25.00 you can get an ambi safety and sear pin from Advanced Tactical (RIA) in Nevada. I've installed 2, one in a 4" RIA and one in a 5" ATI. The nice thing about the sear pin (required for their ambi-safety) that's used is that you don't have to modify your grips or buy ambi-cut grips. Only fitting I did was to the arm that engages the trigger bow. I'm no smith but I did it with very little problem.

Thanks. If i run into any issues, I'll PM you , if that's okay. By the way, did they have to be fit, or did they go right in?