Here's an obvious new guy question..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Here's an obvious new guy question.....

Can'tGetRight
01-18-2013, 01:17
So when you're putting your Glock away for a while in the safe (unloaded of course) and it may be some time before you shoot it again, do you leave the striker cocked or do you pull the trigger to relieve the spring? Does it make any difference? Wondering what the best practice is.

G26S239
01-18-2013, 01:20
Leave the striker set. It does no harm.

17119jfkioe
01-18-2013, 01:25
I always pull the trigger. I know it won't wear the spring if it is cocked, but it doesn't hurt it if the spring is depressed either. And you know 100% just by looking at it that it is unloaded (at least no round in the chamber)

cesaros
01-18-2013, 01:28
. And you know 100% just by looking at it that it is unloaded (at least no round in the chamber)

this.

I always pull trigger before storage. peace of mind.

wacopolumbo
01-18-2013, 03:26
this.

I always pull trigger before storage. peace of mind.

Same here. A quick look at the Glocks confirms no round in chamber and no mag in.

NITE SITE 53
01-18-2013, 05:24
Same here. Trigger pulled.

Bruce M
01-18-2013, 06:22
I doubt it matters much either way as long as the pistol does not get confused for unloaded when it is or vice versa.

kaech
01-18-2013, 06:29
Trigger depressed

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SCSU74
01-18-2013, 08:30
Fully loaded with round in the chamber. Sure would suck to need it and have to load it. Besides it doesn't "cock" until you start pulling the trigger anyway

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Arc Angel
01-18-2013, 09:20
I always pull the trigger. I know it won't wear the spring if it is cocked, but it doesn't hurt it if the spring is depressed either. And you know 100% just by looking at it that it is unloaded (at least no round in the chamber)

No, no, no, my friend! The best gun safety rules aren't mental reminders or observations; they are ingrained personal habits, instead. 'THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED' means, 'THE GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED' - Period.

It doesn't matter whether you leave the striker spring under tension, or not. Striker and trigger springs are easy to replace. I do mine every two or three years, regardless.

cajun_chooter
01-18-2013, 09:47
i have a some what different answer.. first my gun is either on my hip or on my night stand (only after I retire for the night) AND ITS DANG SURE LOADED 24/7.. if its not loaded . .. you might as well have a rock..

Can'tGetRight
01-18-2013, 10:03
Well, yes, but I can't keep every gun I own loaded and on my hip. The question was about storage. Most of them have got to be sitting unused at some point, and for me that's unloaded and locked in the safe. Am new to Glocks, did not realize they cock only as the trigger is pulled.

BMiracletx
01-18-2013, 11:23
Well, yes, but I can't keep every gun I own loaded and on my hip. The question was about storage. Most of them have got to be sitting unused at some point, and for me that's unloaded and locked in the safe. Am new to Glocks, did not realize they cock only as the trigger is pulled.

My understanding is that the striker is PARTIALLY "cocked" when loaded, when you start to pull the trigger it "cocks" the remining distance. So at rest with the triggre forward, there is still some tension on the striker spring. Not enough to make a difference.

Me personally, if its not loaded then I pull the trigger to release it. Not even sure if it matters.

Z71bill
01-18-2013, 12:53
Pulling the trigger is the #1 cause of a ND.

:tongueout:

BMiracletx
01-18-2013, 14:21
Pulling the trigger is the #1 cause of a ND.

Nope... disagree... failure to check that the magazine is removed and the cahmber is clear PRIOR to pulling the trigger is the #1 cause of a ND.

uaengineer
01-18-2013, 19:42
Trigger depressed. At a glance can tell nothing's been put in the chamber when the trigger is back.