Looking to upgrade my cleaning supplies, need opinions. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my cleaning supplies, need opinions.

1967c10
01-18-2013, 01:29
Hello everyone, well as the title shows, I am in the market to get a few new cleaning tools as some are getting worn out/ missing pieces, etc. So here are my thoughts, I have an equal amount of hand guns and rifles and one thing I never liked was how the brush rods fit in the .22 cal rifle barrels(always seem like not much clearance). My thought was to try out one of those otis kits since they have no solid rods. My other thought was to switch over to bore snakes for all the calibers that I have, but that may get spendy. So your thoughts and opinions on these items are greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and have a great day!

Berto
01-18-2013, 14:32
Concerning the rimfires; It might be worthwhile to get a .22cal range rod vs the usual 2 or piece cheap ones. It will have more clearance and make cleaning easier for you, also lessens concern about damaging the crown.

The pull-through kits are fine if space is an issue, but they are a comparable PITA to use and bore snakes are great for immediately after shooting when the crud is still soft, but not a replacement for real cleaning with patches and a brush.

RWBlue
01-18-2013, 15:08
Clean like a pro

www.deweyrods.com
Buy all three sizes for rifle
Buy a 22 and a large for for pistol
Brass muzzle protectors for those guns you can not get to the rear to clean.
Brass patch holder
Forget the brush for now.

http://www.slip2000.com/
This oil is fine
But Carbon killer is the bomb digity

OR
Clean on the cheap, These also work well for in the truck, when at the range.
Hoppes or Outers kit.

I have a couple Ottis. For what they are they are ok. Or maybe I should say that if I had to pack my crap all over Iraq, maybe this is all I would take, but since I don't have to hike everywhere I go....I have real rods.

And one more thing, my rifle coach in college said, more good rifles are killed by over cleaning than by under cleaning. Don't clean the barrel until it REALLY REALLY needs it. We cleaned the competition guns barrels once a year and that may have been too often.

vafish
01-18-2013, 15:27
Clean like a pro

www.deweyrods.com
Buy all three sizes for rifle
Buy a 22 and a large for for pistol
Brass muzzle protectors for those guns you can not get to the rear to clean.
Brass patch holder
Forget the brush for now.

http://www.slip2000.com/
This oil is fine
But Carbon killer is the bomb digity

OR
Clean on the cheap, These also work well for in the truck, when at the range.
Hoppes or Outers kit.

I have a couple Ottis. For what they are they are ok. Or maybe I should say that if I had to pack my crap all over Iraq, maybe this is all I would take, but since I don't have to hike everywhere I go....I have real rods.

And one more thing, my rifle coach in college said, more good rifles are killed by over cleaning than by under cleaning. Don't clean the barrel until it REALLY REALLY needs it. We cleaned the competition guns barrels once a year and that may have been too often.

What he said.

I'm not a college coach, but I do send several kids a year to collegiate rifle teams.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

mr00jimbo
01-18-2013, 16:16
I use exclusively Dewey rods for my pistols and rifles.

Luminary
01-19-2013, 08:34
Currently in the market for new cleaning supplies as well. I'm thinking about switching my cleaning solvent from Breakfree to Frog Lube just because it's non-toxic. I'm also looking to replace this POS walmart kit I got. Some of the threads are all messed up. I was looking at the Otis for awhile but couldn't justify the price tag... May have to reconsider.. I don't clean my guns often, but I hate cleaning them when I have to so I might as well lessen the "pain" by using good tools for the job...

1967c10
01-19-2013, 12:29
Hey, thanks fellas for the replys to my thread. Well between your feed back and reading on other forums, I am really liking these Dewey brand cleaning products. I only have a few small gun shops locally, so I'll have to see if they carry them.

I still think the Otis and bore snake products look nice, but like some have said they may be best when in the field or away from home. But 98% of my cleaning gets done at home, so these dewey units might be right up my alley. Thanks fellas, and any more info or opinions would be greatly appreciated as well!! Have a great day.

collim1
01-19-2013, 18:21
Don't get me wrong, I really like bore snakes, but they are not for thorough cleaning. I use them for quick cleanings in between shooting sessions when shooting cheap steel cased ammo.

Forget the cheapo all included kits. Go buy a nice one piece rod, a brass jag for each caliber, and a bronze brush for each caliber.

You wont realize how nice cleaning can be until you finally get the right equipment.

RWBlue
01-19-2013, 19:02
Currently in the market for new cleaning supplies as well. I'm thinking about switching my cleaning solvent from Breakfree to Frog Lube just because it's non-toxic. I'm also looking to replace this POS walmart kit I got. Some of the threads are all messed up. I was looking at the Otis for awhile but couldn't justify the price tag... May have to reconsider.. I don't clean my guns often, but I hate cleaning them when I have to so I might as well lessen the "pain" by using good tools for the job...

Breakfree is great for a one bottle does everythign, but it is not the end all be all product.