which 9mm for steel plate match shoots ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which 9mm for steel plate match shoots ?

cajun_chooter
01-18-2013, 14:57
I am starting to shop for a 9mm steel plate match pistol.. to reduce my search time.. i thought i would ask which pistol (brand & model) shooters prefer.. if you know the approximate price that would help also..

tia

FLglockdude
01-18-2013, 15:10
I really like my M&P9L. It's a wonderful shooter and 100% reliable.

RWBlue
01-18-2013, 15:13
:popcorn:

GlockN
01-18-2013, 15:17
Glock 19

cajun_chooter
01-18-2013, 17:09
:popcorn:

:tongueout:

Ruble Noon
01-18-2013, 17:12
I am starting to shop for a 9mm steel plate match pistol.. to reduce my search time.. i thought i would ask which pistol (brand & model) shooters prefer.. if you know the approximate price that would help also..

tia

I'm kind of fond of the one in my avatar, I use it to shoot action pistol matches.

jeager
01-18-2013, 17:14
g34
~$600

SigFTW
01-18-2013, 18:19
That is so subjective.:shocked:

davsco
01-18-2013, 19:50
not sure if you're talking just glocks or not... sti makes a gun specifically for steel shooting called the Steel Master ($~3k). I have one and really like it, best of all it is seriously designed to just use Winchester White Box 9mm 115g fmj, like sold (but of course, now out of stock) at walmart.

if you're just talking glock, can't go wrong with the g34. i have warren/sevigny wide rear notch and front fiber optics on mine - quick target acquisition.

bac1023
01-18-2013, 20:55
What's your price range?

samuse
01-18-2013, 22:42
I'm kind of fond of the one in my avatar, I use it to shoot action pistol matches.

Pshh... With that 'ol antique-ey thing?

BenjiEDF
01-18-2013, 22:46
Glock 34 or a CZ-75 is what's I'd want, both ~$600.

countrygun
01-18-2013, 22:48
I wouldn't go for plastic for a match gun. You don't need to save weight, in fact I would want weight for something like that. Maybe one of the CZs or, my choice would actually be a Jericho/941 with an action job. But a CZ 75 SA would be great. Look at the EAA line too.

samuse
01-18-2013, 23:00
I just use a Glock 17, but any gun you can shoot fast and accurately will be good.

There's also divisions for rimfires and revolvers too.

They have divisions for everything, just like USPSA. Pick a gun you like and run with it...

Reswob
01-18-2013, 23:29
Glock 19. I see very little value in competing (read: training) with a pistol that is not your regular carry.

wrx04
01-18-2013, 23:34
How about a Sig X-five?

countrygun
01-19-2013, 00:02
Glock 19. I see very little value in competing (read: training) with a pistol that is not your regular carry.

I bet you hate cowboy action shooting.

Reswob
01-19-2013, 00:06
I bet you hate cowboy action shooting.

I'll bet some of those guys DO regularly carry SAA replicas.:rofl:

Zombie Steve
01-19-2013, 00:15
Won't really matter if you're doing a steel challenge match, but if you ever move on to other things like USPSA, you'll want to go in the production category. I'd say G17, G24 or an XDM 5.25.

Andy W
01-19-2013, 01:31
I'd go for the XD(m) 5.25 9mm. Haven't had the pleasure of shooting one but have fondled them in the gun shop (looked at one in .40 the other day and drooled some) and they are sweet! Nice crisp trigger, decent balance, and the fiber optic front sight with plain black rear is an awesome sight combo. You are just drawn right into the front sight! I can't imagine one not being able to go up againt a G34. Would also probably be an awesome HD gun.

Glock40man
01-19-2013, 03:39
The CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow might fit the bill nicely.

bac1023
01-19-2013, 08:43

:rofl:

That's got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've read on GT in quite a while.

Why put yourself at a disadvantage by competing with a carry gun? That's why competition pistols are built. That's why small carry pistols are built. They are two different things. Believe it or not, you actually can be proficient with two different guns and even two different platforms.

samuse
01-19-2013, 08:54
I'll bet some of those guys DO regularly carry SAA replicas.:rofl:

Yeah they do, and they're not under-gunned with 'em either.

I know a guy (dead now) that carried a SAA with a 3 1/2" bbl and a birdshead grip. He shot cowboy action and did Civil War re-enactment shows.

davsco
01-19-2013, 09:01

Why put yourself at a disadvantage by competing with a carry gun? That's why competition pistols are built. That's why small carry pistols are built. They are two different things. Believe it or not, you actually can be proficient with two different guns and even two different platforms.

well that depends. if you want to demonstrate and improve proficiency with your carry gun, using it in a competition is a great way to do that. at one point or another, i have used all of my HD/carry guns in uspsa or idpa competitions. was i at a competitive disadvantage, heck yes, but did i prove to myself that me and my gun work very well under stress, heck yes.

in fact, that is why i got rid of my subcompact glock. i used it in an idpa match and had trouble working the controls. have had no issues with the compact and of course full size.

i personally think that everyone who carries should use their carry gun in at least one competition just to verify everything works as expected.

Ruble Noon
01-19-2013, 09:34
Pshh... With that 'ol antique-ey thing?

Yeah, it is either that old antique or one of my other relics (1911's)

bac1023
01-19-2013, 09:35
i personally think that everyone who carries should use their carry gun in at least one competition just to verify everything works as expected.

...and that's fine, but you know what I'm saying.

faawrenchbndr
01-19-2013, 10:08

+1, now if the OP had asked about IPDA.......:whistling:

Zombie Steve
01-19-2013, 11:06
I'll shoot steel challenge with a single action Blackhawk. 5 plates... no worries.

I'll shoot USPSA matches with a 1911 / single stack. The way most stages are set up, it's a brain teaser to figure out where you'll pull off your reloads without having to stand flat footed and kill your time, and you'll usually wind up having to do one no matter how you slice it. On the straight forward go fast stages, I have to do 3 reloads to most guys' 1 or 2. That's why I was recommending production division with a glock or a XDM. If you're shooting minor pf, you might as well not have to deal with the reloads.

As far as competing with your carry gun... go for it. Just realize that you are playing a game, not training. USPSA gamers reload guns on the move to save time (you shouldn't leave cover with an unloaded gun in real life), they generally don't use or shoot from cover, they stand in doorways... all kinds of bad habits if you're coming from the sd angle.

I've done matches with a concealed carry rig and pulling mags out of my pockets. You're gonna get smoked, but it's worth trying once for the sake of fighting through it.

RWBlue
01-19-2013, 12:45

It depends on if you are competing against others or just yourself.

I also believe I am a better shooter for learning how to shoot everything under the sun, but others may be better when they know just their one special gun.

Dubble-Tapper
01-19-2013, 13:24
CZ75 SA....or any CZ75 for that matter. IMO, and many others, one of, if not the best shooting full size steel 9mm pistols ever. solid weight means hardly any recoil, they point nice, decent triggers (AWESOME IF IT GETS SENT TO CZCUSTOM), and mine gobbles anything i put through it. tack drivers as well. anyone can pick it up.

countrygun
01-19-2013, 13:40
CZ75 SA....or any CZ75 for that matter. IMO, and many others, one of, if not the best shooting full size steel 9mm pistols ever. solid weight means hardly any recoil, they point nice, decent triggers (AWESOME IF IT GETS SENT TO CZCUSTOM), and mine gobbles anything i put through it. tack drivers as well. anyone can pick it up.

Better if you order through CZcustom. you get a price break that offsets part of the cost of their work.

mjkeat
01-19-2013, 14:50
I have been running a M&P9 Pro for some time now. Some of the other guys run G17s and G34s.

I'm not a fan of the XDMs due to the tall slide. The closer to bore the greater the control.

I like the 75's as well though I don't have a lot of time behind one.

------------

Competeing w/ your carry gun is a good idea. It allows you to get some repititions under stress w/ the firearm that you are exposed to the most.

When I "compete" w/ a fighting gun I never expect to score as well as the guys w/ raceguns and extended magazines. Same w/ handgun, shotgun, and carbine.

Also, the way in which you approach the course makes a huge difference. Sticking your muzzle through a door way/ window, not using cover/concealment properly. simply competing against guys who game a course of fire instead of being practical about it. If you're running a course of fire from a practical approach you will be hard pressed to score higher than those who are not.

Competition is not training but competition is a good thing to do.

leros
01-20-2013, 09:50
I have been doing steel matches with a single stack Les Baer, it's a great shooter and extremely accurate. But I have a G17 getting out of jail on Friday that I have a new KKM barrel and a complete ZEV trigger group waiting and ready to be installed. I will be using this for steel matches and USPSA for now on.

This is my plan as of now, the Democrats in this wonderful state might be changing my plans because I have a feeling that they won't let NY out do them and make California even worse than NY?

Along with my AR's, my handguns could become paperweights!

md2lgyk
01-20-2013, 10:51

I don't consider competing to be training. Most of the gun competitions out there are just games that have little to do with real-world self-defense scenarios. Even the only true skill competition (bullseye pistol) doesn't, in my opinion, qualify as SD training.

I compete with my bullseye guns; I train with my SD guns.