New Gen4 21 question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Gen4 21 question

Bayou
01-18-2013, 16:57
Hello, I got a question in referrence to a new Gen4 21 that I picked up today. With a empty mag in and the slide in the open position the slide will not release by deppressing the slide release or with alot of pressure it will. If I rack the slide with with an empty mag in the slide will not return to battery. If I drop the mag it works fine either way. My Gen4 17 works great either with a empty mag or not. Now with a mag in the magwell with the slide open I can depress the slide release and rack the slide and it goes into battery. Is the empty mag pressing against something or does it need to be shot to loosen it up. I have no 45 rounds to try it with a loaded mag. Any ideas

lyodbraun
01-18-2013, 17:36
Its suppose to do that when the mag is empty.. its getting stopped by the mag follower,.. just drop mag and close the slide then put mag back in.. problems solved.. congrats on your new Glock...

pat701
01-18-2013, 17:52
Just for your information a problem i had with a Gen4 21. I hope yours ejects better then mine has.
I have a NIB Gen4 Glock 21 test fire date 22Oct12 Blue label pistol. It has weak ejection issues as well. No malfunctions at all with 250 rds fired for break-in. Just IMHO weak ejection, 2to3 feet to my 3 to 4 O'Clock. I was firing Estate (federal) 230 gr brass cased hardball.

If you watch Hickock45 on his new youtube on the gen4 21's parts #1 & #2 and watch the ejection (not shooting the gong, pig, or soda bottles just watch the ejection) you will see him get hit in the face and head. The ejection is weak on these two vid's. Then i dug up an old Glock 21 youtube of his (gen1,2, or3 idon't know what gen it is) and you see that that 21 ejects 8 feet to the right. You can hear the spent brass hitting his reloading table on this older vid. Hickock makes no mention of the weak ejection. "life is good" It's there you have to just watch the ejection, not his shooting.

Bayou
01-18-2013, 17:56
lyodbraun, thanks for responding but does that make since that my 17 Will do it either way? Also I' m guessing when a new loaded mag is inserted that the round depresses something so it will work either way. Thanks

TheGlockTalker
01-18-2013, 17:58
My 21 Gen 4 has been nothing but endless s**t and problems.
Never a problem with my 21 gen 3 though.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436520

Bayou
01-18-2013, 19:09
That's great did not want to hear this. Could have bought a Gen3 but opted for a Gen4. Mine is also a blue label and will have to check the date when I get home. I believe it is a 07/12 date

uaengineer
01-18-2013, 19:26
My Gen 4 G21 hasn't given me any problems and is a sweet shooter. The ejection is what it is, but I guess it makes finding my brass a bit easier. Yes, if the gun is designed for last round hold open then racking the slide with an empty mag should hold the slide open. Yes, it takes a bit of pressure on a brand new one to get the slide release to drop. Put some rounds through it and enjoy.

pat701
01-18-2013, 20:16
That's great did not want to hear this. Could have bought a Gen3 but opted for a Gen4. Mine is also a blue label and will have to check the date when I get home. I believe it is a 07/12 date

My 21 is a pleasure to shoot, as i said no malfunctions of any kind in 250 rds. This is my first Glock, so i don't know what normal Glock ejection is??? But 22cal LR pistol ejects 8 feet this is a 45acp IMHO it should eject more then 3' or 4'. Watch the Hickock45 youtube video. Maybe Hickock45 is limp wristing his Gen4 21.