Why the run on ammo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why the run on ammo?

malleable
01-18-2013, 21:32
I don't understand why people are panicking and buying up all the standard handgun ammunition, are they ignorant or am I?
I don't live in a cave and understand that there is a possibility of potential legislation regarding sporting rifles and magazines based on capacity, but why the run on ammo?

Scrappy
01-18-2013, 21:36
I don't know, but range I go to now will only sell one box for the range only! Wtf am I gonna do with one box of ammo?
Its wiped out every where its ridiculous!

ctfireman
01-18-2013, 21:54
Probably scared of the proposed 50% tax.

WoodenPlank
01-18-2013, 22:23
Probably scared of the proposed 50% tax.

A proposal in CT doesn't account for all the idiots nationwide buying ammo like all the factories were destroyed.

ithaca_deerslayer
01-18-2013, 22:27
I know in NY, we have some sort of NICS background check coming our way for ammo purchases sometime in the future, when the new state law kicks in. What a nightmare that might be. They are even going to flag high volume purchases and ban direct internet sales.

So, I'm sure plenty of NY'rs are stocking up now. People from other states might have similar future issues to fight off in their state capitals.

No to mention the President throwing his weight behind the anti-gun scurge.

HauntedAlabama
01-18-2013, 22:28
What I see from going around to guns shops is this....the first run was to buy AR and AKs. When those started to run out I noticed the semi-auto handguns and shotguns starting to look bare. The guys I have talked to said folks came in wanting an AR and could not buy one so they got a pistol. Lots of these people probably have never owned a gun or only have a shotgun or .22 rifle and they bought up lots of ammo to go with their new purchase. People noticed the handgun and rifle ammo running low from the new shooters and started scarfing up whatever they could get. That is what I think anyway.

HKLovingIT
01-18-2013, 22:51
Lot of guns got sold to probably a pretty fair amount of first time buyers. Gotta feed em. Plus the toilet paper effect. You know, the weather forecast says 2 inches of snow so all the haus fraus raid the grocery for TP, milk and eggs. :rofl:

I agree first wave was likely AR/AK buyers, then handguns when those got scarce. The ammo followed suit. I'm starting to see things come back on the shelf here bit by bit. Price is still up. I figure most panic buyers have blown their discretionary funds or jacked up the credit card so stocks should slowly increase.

I was personally just sniping out what bargains I could find here and there. It doesn't get cheaper so might as well add to the stocks. I figure prices will settle down some but the new normal will still be higher than we'd all like.

hotpig
01-18-2013, 23:05
What ever form of new gun restriction passes will also have ammo restrictions. Most gun owners rarely buy ammo so like the hi caps it will not be contested very much. The big effort will be negotiating for semi auto shotguns and pistols. Probably select rifles like the 10/22 that are used for sports.

Ruggles
01-18-2013, 23:07
Because it's (this whole mess) a great excuse to the wife to buy anything firearms related :)

I also agree they have $500 to spend, can't buy choice A cause it is out, same with B. C, etc so they get to ammo and pocket sized .380 caliber guns....

TxGun
01-18-2013, 23:12
If the administration thought they could actually get prohibitive taxes on ammo, I'm sure they'd go for it. I would not be surprised to see some sort of new level of "hazardous material" designation placed on ammo by EO or by one of the government health agencies that adds expense to the manufacture, storage, shipping, and ultimately the retail cost of ammo. Making ammo as near to cost-prohibitive as possible has been a stated objective of the antis.

Caver 60
01-18-2013, 23:44
If the administration thought they could actually get prohibitive taxes on ammo, I'm sure they'd go for it. I would not be surprised to see some sort of new level of "hazardous material" designation placed on ammo by EO or by one of the government health agencies that adds expense to the manufacture, storage, shipping, and ultimately the retail cost of ammo. Making ammo as near to cost-prohibitive as possible has been a stated objective of the antis.

I remember when OSHA was going to regulate ammo. One of the few times Congress ever had the guts to stop an antigun measure.

Kalmah
01-19-2013, 00:18
A bill to ban the online sale of ammo has been introduced in the US House of Reps.

"To require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition."
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.142:

That might have something to do with it.

hotpig
01-19-2013, 00:29
A bill to ban the online sale of ammo has been introduced in the US House of Reps.

"To require face to face purchases of ammunition, to require licensing of ammunition dealers, and to require reporting regarding bulk purchases of ammunition."
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:H.R.142:

That might have something to do with it.

I guess we all know what I worked my ass off to build for the last 15 years. Gone in the swipe of a pen.

Warp
01-19-2013, 00:29
As mentioned above the ability of the American public, to purchase ammunition, is being attacked by some members of the federal legislature.

People are smart enough to realize that without ammo their guns are nothing more than expensive paperweights.

The vast majority of gun owners, in my opinion and in my experience, generally keep a very small amount of ammunition on hand because it is, generally, very easy to buy just about anytime and anywhere. These people are realizing the importance of ammunition and their own insufficient quantities.

A lot of the surge in gun purchases is new gun owners, or gun owners branching out into a new type of firearm and/or a new cartridge. As such they need to buy ammunition since they didn't have ANY of that cartridge prior.

Some of us worry that the B. Hussein. O. administration will attempt back-door gun control and Second Amendment attacks by making ammunition more difficult and expensive to acquire. Just look at what New York is doing.

I think that, for the vast majority of gun owners, if they were to sit back and evaluate their ability to continue shooting, using ONLY what they currently possess, the limiting factor would be ammunition. Most firearms and magazines can be used for a LOT of rounds...more than their owners possess.

So, in short, I think that for most gun owners the item that best extends and protects their ability to shoot is AMMUNITION

mj9mm
01-19-2013, 00:33
my wife told me to buy more:thumbsup:

Bruce M
01-19-2013, 11:39
There is a very palpable fear that the fate of western civilization hangs in the balance of the current gun control efforts and that we are in for a battle of biblical proportions that will water the liberty tree with the blood of tyrants as they turn our plows into plowshares because we are trading all of our liberty for security and will have neither as the door to door confiscation starts Tuesday and we will face an option of living as slaves for the oppressive regime or dying a hero's death fighting for our liberty. (I know I missed a few...)

ithaca_deerslayer
01-19-2013, 11:59
There is a very palpable fear that the fate of western civilization hangs in the balance of the current gun control efforts and that we are in for a battle of biblical proportions that will water the liberty tree with the blood of tyrants as they turn our plows into plowshares because we are trading all of our liberty for security and will have neither as the door to door confiscation starts Tuesday and we will face an option of living as slaves for the oppressive regime or dying a hero's death fighting for our liberty. (I know I missed a few...)

Well said.

glockin-45
01-19-2013, 12:26
Ignorant-no, naive, maybe? just like the nay-sayers, who said obozo would'nt do anything in his second term. Whats so hard to believe? that things are going to go back how it used to be? and "all" ammo prices are not going to go up. :upeyes:

Glockdude1
01-19-2013, 12:47
IF, such crap became law, would I be on a "terrorist watch list"???

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/fnpinsidebagholster1of1.jpg

:rofl:

CDW4ME
01-19-2013, 12:50
Interference with online ammo sales would present acquisition problems trying to find the desired load or caliber locally... full power 10mm, 45 GAP, 357 Sig.
Also, chances are you may not be able to obtain the 50 round boxes of Ranger or HST locally even in "popular" calibers.
No online ammo = more expense & less selection.

BakerBug
01-19-2013, 14:16
I've just purchased my first handgun, and here are my thoughts that led me to this.

When BO was first elected, the first thing he started pushing for was healthcare reform. Was this issue even part of the campaign? I don't remember it being mentioned. It seemed to come out of nowhere. All during the health care debates and arguments, I never really thought it would pass. Then it passed.

Next, I though surely the SCOTUS would declare it unconstitutional and all would be right with the world. I never dreamed that John Roberts would twist that law into something it wasn't and uphold it.

This taught me that BO gets what he wants. His reelection taught me that the American people are too uninformed to realize where he is taking our country. Now that he has more "flexibility" in his second term, I am taking seriously what he is trying to do. He wants to disarm America, and I believe he will do everything he can to accomplish this.

I wouldn't have purchased a handgun if I didn't feel there was a chance that BO would have his way. If I'm wrong, great! I've helped the economy by spending my money. I've helped the NRA by being one of the new 250,000 members they picked up in the past month.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope that this whole thing will blow over and there will be one less rip in the Constitution...

barth
01-19-2013, 14:27
I'm afraid these relentless attacks on law abiding citizens and the second amendment are far from over.

The Agenda is to disarm and control the law abiding citizens of this country.
Public safety never had anything to do with it.

If the public sees though the latest veiled attempt?
Then a new one, with better subterfuge, will be devised.
Waiting for the next cherry picked news event to trigger.

Particularly with Obummer the Fuehrer in power.
We the people can never rest.
http://intheknow7.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/obama-hitler-purple.jpg

Mblndl
01-19-2013, 14:40
I think it's the fear of the unknown that drives a lot of the buying. Nobody really knows what's gonna happen so we try to prepare for the worst.

hotpig
01-19-2013, 14:41
They have launched a State by State attack. NY has already fallen. NH,MA, and CO are about to fall. There may be others that I have not heard about.

Once enough States have fallen the Federal ban will be easy to push through.

IL in its Lame Duck session tried three times but it failed. The gun grabbers D and R from Chicagoland went so far as to have a news conference announcing they would not make a third attempt during the Lame Duck. Several hours later they tried to sneak it in. You can not let your guard down for one second with these people.

M2 Carbine
01-19-2013, 14:44
What makes you think you aren't already?

24,000+ posts on a conservative leaning firearms web site?

"they" know more about us than we know about ourselves.

Glockdude1
01-19-2013, 14:52
What makes you think you aren't already?

24,000+ posts on a conservative leaning firearms web site?

"they" know more about us than we know about ourselves.

You on the list too?

Glad I am not alone!!

Warp
01-19-2013, 14:56

Very, very few people are thinking anything like those specifics.

:tinfoil:

GAFinch
01-19-2013, 16:44
How many rounds before you trust a new firearm? 100? 200? 500?

Bruce M
01-19-2013, 16:56
I think we also need to remember that with the advent of computer inventory and shipping logistics alot of places, not just supermarkets, no longer stock a storage room with extra inventory, which means that any additional sudden pressure on a product can empty shelves quickly.

Glockdude1
01-19-2013, 17:15

Glocks come with at least 2 fired cases.

You good to go with a Glock.

:supergrin:

GlockFish
01-19-2013, 17:16
I don't understand why people are panicking and buying up all the standard handgun ammunition, are they ignorant or am I?
I don't live in a cave and understand that there is a possibility of potential legislation regarding sporting rifles and magazines based on capacity, but why the run on ammo?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26413944.jpg

Warp
01-19-2013, 18:18

Depends on:

The type of firearm
The brand/model of firearm
The type of ammo being used vs the ammo to be trusted
Etc

I ask for more more from a semi auto handgun than from a revolver. I would ask for more from a KelTec than a Glock. Etc.

For a new Glock I do 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of my chosen JHP before I will being to consider it. It cannot have any malfunctions or 'near malfunctions' during that time.

Jbar4Ranch
01-19-2013, 18:31

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/fnpinsidebagholster1of1.jpg

Pretty sure I already am.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/RimfireAmmo001_zps68966147.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Primers_zps9bfc9531.jpg

WarEagle32
01-19-2013, 20:40

Amen Bruce. Well said my friend. I wish I had a dollar for every time I absolutely agree with what you say down to the letter. I think the ammunition panic is insane. I think the AW panic is bad enough but for there to be an ammunition panic on top of it is just stupid IMO.

malleable
01-19-2013, 20:56
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26413944.jpg

Thanks, that was very helpful.

JackMac
01-19-2013, 21:03
ammo is next on the agenda....control it.... tax it to the sky and one will not be able to acquire it....then what use is the gun? Wall Hanger? Club?

cowboy1964
01-19-2013, 21:42
Too much Obama "executive order" hype. Things will settle down soon I hope. $14-15 for 9mm target ammo is a crock.

hotpig
01-19-2013, 21:51
Too much Obama "executive order" hype. Things will settle down soon I hope. $14-15 for 9mm target ammo is a crock.

It has not even started yet. The EO was the opening shot. A diversion. Our reply was that was not so bad. Meanwhile State by State the AWB is being implemented.

cowboy1964
01-19-2013, 21:57
It has not even started yet. The EO was the opening shot. A diversion. Our reply was that was not so bad. Meanwhile State by State the AWB is being implemented.

Other than New York, what other state is actually making traction on new anti-gun laws? I suspect very few, if any.

Anyway, ammo is still a separate issue. It's kind of perplexing. I just think too many people think Obama is going to wave a magical EO and outright ban ammo tomorrow. It ain't happening. Now .223/5.56 ammo I can kind of understand with the massive amount of ARs being sold. But .40 and .45 ammo?

hotpig
01-19-2013, 22:09
HR 142 The Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act is making people nervous. Puts me and my 15 years of work building a business, out of business.

Mandatory reporting requirements for bulk purchases ie 1000 rounds. The License thing for me is not a issue.

Warp
01-19-2013, 22:12
That will make people nervous

TxGun
01-19-2013, 23:27
I just think too many people think Obama is going to wave a magical EO and outright ban ammo tomorrow. It ain't happening.

I would agree with that, cowboy. Banning ammo isn't going to happen. But I do think the gameplan, or part of it, may be to make ammo incrementaly more expensive until it reaches a point that it is basically a luxury item. The antis have long discussed this approach. How? Well, as I said, one way might be that the administration finds a way (EO, Surgeon General, Healthcare apparatus...whatever they think would work) to get ammo designated a different level of "hazardous material" or some such monicker (gotta make it sound really dangerous to the general public, you know), and thereby add regulations for manufacturers deal with, add taxes, shipping costs, etc. Any and all ways to make it more and more expensive for the gun owner to purchase. Takes time, sure. But the antis have shown they are patient. Just another front for the assault. Hope I'm wrong.

flw
01-20-2013, 00:16
Pretty sure I already am.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/RimfireAmmo001_zps68966147.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/Primers_zps9bfc9531.jpg

Why are those shelves not snapped in half ! How much weight is that ?

Getting back on topic, I believe that our government will tax each bullet as one tool to attempt to start to dig our way out of debt. Dems want it for gun control and Reps will cave for the budget $$$$$$$$$$.

Kalmah
01-20-2013, 01:32
Other than New York, what other state is actually making traction on new anti-gun laws? I suspect very few, if any.
Colorado is close to going down the drain.

After the last election, the Dems are now in control of both houses of the state legislature, as well as the governor's mansion. There are a number of anti-gun bills in the works - including an AWB and a hi cap magazine ban - and there is no one to stop them.

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_22388879?source=bb