Extractor - Break in Period? (Gen4 G19) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Extractor - Break in Period? (Gen4 G19)

jvbronco
01-18-2013, 21:27
After dealing with semi-poor extraction with my Gen 4 G19 and an ocasional FTE (1 in about ~150 rounds), I was finally able to install the Apex Glock Extractor (FRE).

So far so good.. ~250 trouble free rounds.

I read a lot about the ejection issues appearing in Gen 4 Glocks after some number of rounds (often referred to as a break in period). My personal G19 ran flawlessly until the 800-1000 round mark, where it began wimpy ejection and even FTEs.

Here is my question - can I expect a similar "break in period" with the new Apex extractor? In other words, am I in the clear?

SJ 40
01-19-2013, 06:22
One would expect the Apex to hold up well ,due to the type of steel it is produced of.
Only time and rounds down range will tell the story though. SJ 40

jvbronco
01-19-2013, 06:41
One would expect the Apex to hold up well ,due to the type of steel it is produced of.
Only time and rounds down range will tell the story though. SJ 40

Thanks for the info. I am not concerned about it holding up per Se. Just that issues might come up after a certain amount of rounds. Just trying to figure out when I can trust this thing again.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Riverkilt
01-19-2013, 06:48
Have an Apex on my Gen 4 G20 that was BTF first shot out of the box and every shot after. I changed the spring thingie too - was part of the Apex package - guessing you did too. Anyhow, I've shot a few hundred since with no problems. While I was waiting for the Apex gear to be in stock I changed to a steel recoil spring guide rod. That moved the BTF to raining down on my head instead. Don't know if a guide rod change would affect your G19 though. Bottom line - mine's working great now over the early long haul...200-250+ rounds. And I agree with the quality of the Apex Tactical milled extractor...makes sense it'll hold up well.

jvbronco
01-19-2013, 06:58
News looks good then. Yes - I also changed the spring;however, did not change the plunger as recommended.

Fingers are crossed that this things remains reliable. The brass to face thing I can deal with the FTE is what drives me nuts... So far so good

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)