Current production Glock mags [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Current production Glock mags

uaengineer
01-19-2013, 00:04
Are all the current production Glock mags Gen 4 compatible for lefties i.e. dual notches? Being a lefty and having the capability to comfortably operate the mag release with the thumb instead of the middle finger is nice, but the guessing game of ordering mags online can be frustrating since most do not specify whether its Gen 4 compatible. I would assume that all the new mags being shipped to stores now have dual notches but some sites like Cheaper Than Dirt have some mags that they specify are NOT Gen 4 compatible. Is there any way to tell from the product number? I see some that are prefixed with GLG and some with MF but who knows..

SCSU74
01-19-2013, 00:51
Gen 4 mags have ambi release cutouts. Only way to tell is to look, mags are not serialized

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

uaengineer
01-19-2013, 01:28
Gen 4 mags have ambi release cutouts. Only way to tell is to look, mags are not serialized

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Yes, I own quite a few Gen 4 mags for different Glocks. Having worked in manufacturing before, I know that a slight change in a product is usually referenced in the product number. Didn't know if anyone recognized a difference in the prefixes. No the mags aren't marked so no way to tell unless its on the packaging, but I've never bought one that was in packaging. Again, would just assume they'd all be Gen 4 now...anyone ordered a mag online recently and when you received it it was a non-ambi mag?

NCHeel
01-19-2013, 06:55
GLOCK only produces ambidextrous mags now. With the current buying climate and everyone being out of stock you are almost guaranteed to receive current production mags. If by a slim chance you were to receive an older style mag you can always cut the polymer casing with a Dremel or file to make the mag ambi. GLOCK mags are steel lined so it does not affect the sturdiness of the mags. I am a leftie and have done this to several older mags with great success.

M 7
01-19-2013, 10:39
Yes, I own quite a few Gen 4 mags for different Glocks. Having worked in manufacturing before, I know that a slight change in a product is usually referenced in the product number. Didn't know if anyone recognized a difference in the prefixes. No the mags aren't marked so no way to tell unless its on the packaging, but I've never bought one that was in packaging. Again, would just assume they'd all be Gen 4 now...anyone ordered a mag online recently and when you received it it was a non-ambi mag?

The ones (gen 4) I've seen in factory packaging still have the same product number.

gooffeyguy
01-19-2013, 11:42
I just received some from Streichers and they are ambidextrous.

uaengineer
01-20-2013, 10:10
GLOCK only produces ambidextrous mags now. With the current buying climate and everyone being out of stock you are almost guaranteed to receive current production mags. If by a slim chance you were to receive an older style mag you can always cut the polymer casing with a Dremel or file to make the mag ambi. GLOCK mags are steel lined so it does not affect the sturdiness of the mags. I am a leftie and have done this to several older mags with great success.

I've never thought of doing that, sounds like a great idea and feel free to share a pic of your handiwork :cool:

sgt rock
01-20-2013, 10:17
I've never thought of doing that, sounds like a great idea and feel free to share a pic of your handiwork :cool:

I tryed to do one awhile back, it wasnt very easy , maybe a hot knife would help make a nice clean notch.

NCHeel
01-20-2013, 17:17
Here is the first one I did. Not my prettiest work but it functions as expected. Used a Dremel with the cut-off wheel for plastic and a square file.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BVGgRjKhGi0/UPx6uU1pn2I/AAAAAAAAAro/34KdQP2-kkc/s640/DSC00694.JPG

uaengineer
01-20-2013, 19:47
Nice work. Doesn't have to be pretty to me as long as it works. Might have to give it a try if I ever come across some old mags.

Maester Aemon
01-20-2013, 20:15
FWIW The G20 mags I received from Glockmeister this January are not ambi

uaengineer
01-20-2013, 21:57
FWIW The G20 mags I received from Glockmeister this January are not ambi

Hmm, how long has the Gen 4 G20 been widely available?

pizza_pablo
01-20-2013, 21:58
Friday, I received four G23 mags, from a distributor not to be named, here.
It was not specified on their site, but they are all Gen 4.

G19ftw
01-20-2013, 22:06
I bought a few new G26 mags in December, they are Gen4

uaengineer
01-25-2013, 12:26
Mags I bought last month were all Gen 4 at the LGS. G19 mags received today were Gen 4.

uaengineer
01-28-2013, 17:47
Bunch of mags received today from Midway. All were Gen 4. Still waiting on some from Target Sports USA..

GIG4FUN
01-28-2013, 18:39
I been ordering a lot of mags in all calibers. They have all been gen4 (even the 33 capacity 9MM and the 22 capacity .40)

uaengineer
01-29-2013, 18:01
Yeah the 33 rounders I got before the panic buying were Gen 4. Mags I received today from Target Sports USA were all Gen 4. I think we can pretty much assume all the new ones are Gen 4 which we lefties appreciate though really the only Glocks that are difficult to hit the mag release with the middle finger are the subcompacts IMO.