G19 or G26 for carry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G19 or G26 for carry?

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 02:52
I am not a big man by American standards (6 feet, 180 lbs) and would like members' views on the merits of CCWing a G26 or G19 in a warm State like TN, where clothing is likely to be light most of the year.

I know I could have both, but I would prefer to have two of one of them rather than one of each - it's a muscle memory thing.

Do I go for capacity or for small size? I can shoot either quite adequately.

"Cold Dead Hands" !
01-19-2013, 03:16
Both are great guns !
One of each would be nice.
G19 conceals easy enough for most situations, and is better in a gun fight.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 06:11
Both are great guns !
One of each would be nice.
G19 conceals easy enough for most situations, and is better in a gun fight.

Thanks for this - they are great, aren't they, and if either were the only one I could ever own, I wouldn't feel undergunned.

Lowjiber
01-19-2013, 07:06
I live in a pretty warm state too. I EDC my G26 IWB and love it.

My G19 sits in the safe hoping to get to go to the range. Problem is that I shoot the 26 every bit as well as the 19.:whistling:

billn
01-19-2013, 07:10
I like carrying the G26. In a pinch it fits inside my front pockets.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 07:58
I live in a pretty warm state too. I EDC my G26 IWB and love it.

My G19 sits in the safe hoping to get to go to the range. Problem is that I shoot the 26 every bit as well as the 19.:whistling:

Thanks - that's the big problem, isn't it? They both shoot so very well. As I have no intention of living in a gangland ghetto, I'm more than half convinced that if I couldn't get the job done with 10 + 1 (OK, plus another 10) I would be way out of my league, anyway.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 08:03
I like carrying the G26. In a pinch it fits inside my front pockets.

You'd need biggish pockets. I don't like cargo pants but a big Winter coat might well fit the bill, with a decent holster.

Thanks for that.

amorican88
01-19-2013, 08:32
I have both the 19 & 26. I originally planned to carry the 26 only in the summer, when its hot. I ended up liking the ease of concealment the 26 gives, so I pretty much carry it all year. I do carry a 15rd. backup mag in my pocket. The Crossbreed Supertuck is a great IWB holster for both pistols. My .02 worth.

up1911fan
01-19-2013, 08:52
I've spent a decent amount of time carrying a G17/19/26. I've come to prefer the G19 for 90% of my carry need's.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 08:53
I have both the 19 & 26. I originally planned to carry the 26 only in the summer, when its hot. I ended up liking the ease of concealment the 26 gives, so I pretty much carry it all year. I do carry a 15rd. backup mag in my pocket. The Crossbreed Supertuck is a great IWB holster for both pistols. My .02 worth.

This is what could happen to me but I was always trained (British Army), to find a weapon you could shoot well, get a spare, then practise until it became part of you. I don't like redundant equipment - just my personal taste, and I would hate the idea of "the other gun" sobbing in a gun safe while I spent all my time with the one I eventually chose.

That was the reason I started this thread - I think both G26 and G19 are terrific.

This is all hypothetical at the moment - as I'm a Brit living in the UK, I can't currently own a hand gun anyway. It has always been my ambition to retire to the US, probably TN, as all of my interests are on your side of the pond. It may take some time but there's nothing wrong with preparation - and you have to keep the dream alive.

The Cross Breed is pretty good, but I've got my eye on an N8 Tactical Professional.

Colddeadhands
01-19-2013, 08:56
I have a G17 and a G26. I bought the 17 a few years ago; I decided that either a G19 or G17 was too big for me for CCW, so I got the 17 to have a nice full sized gun to train with. Just bought the G26 for CCW, to complement my Kel Tec PF9.

While I admire and recognize the G19 as a great weapon, it is not a CCW piece for my size (150 lbs, 5,8") and my lifestyle. I'd probably be better of with a smaller mouse gun (.32, .380) for concealement purposes....but I prefer the horsepower that a 9mm offers (please let's not make this another "bigger bullet" debate).....

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 08:59
I've spent a decent amount of time carrying a G17/19/26. I've come to prefer the G19 for 90% of my carry need's.

Oh, dear! Just when I was edging towards the G26!

Why the G19 particularly - LEO, bad neighbourhood, cold State, or do you just like the feel of it?

Actionmonkey
01-19-2013, 09:07
I own both guns and live in a warm weather climate all year around. I generally carry my G19 all the time as I find it is an easy size to conceal (only benefit to having some side meat!) with more than enough capacity. I personally love both but my G26 usually stays in my vehicle as a backup.

James Dean
01-19-2013, 09:11
I own both. IMO a G26 is a better CC gun. If I could only own one it would be the G26. A G26 for CC and some G19 or G17 mags for home.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 09:15
I have a G17 and a G26. I bought the 17 a few years ago; I decided that either a G19 or G17 was too big for me for CCW, so I got the 17 to have a nice full sized gun to train with. Just bought the G26 for CCW, to complement my Kel Tec PF9.

While I admire and recognize the G19 as a great weapon, it is not a CCW piece for my size (150 lbs, 5,8") and my lifestyle. I'd probably be better of with a smaller mouse gun (.32, .380) for concealement purposes....but I prefer the horsepower that a 9mm offers (please let's not make this another "bigger bullet" debate).....

Ah - a normal sized human (when I served with GIs in NATO, at 6 feet and 180, I was the section midget). I can see that you would tend towards the smaller guns, particularly for CCW.

A .380 will get the job done if you put it in the right place,as will most calibres (forgive my Brit spelling!) but I was born and raised with 9mm and I KNOW it gets the job done. With modern SD ammo, the difference in calibres is pretty much hypothetical anyway - it's all about where you put it (or THEM, preferably).

onearmsteve
01-19-2013, 09:23
g26 and a tactical cut crossroads iwb and love it

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 09:23
I own both. IMO a G26 is a better CC gun. If I could only own one it would be the G26. A G26 for CC and some G19 or G17 mags for home.

Quite a common combo, and not a bad idea. I'm trying to strike a balance between preparedness and paranoia. Besides, the G17 and G19 mags would ruin the pretty lines of the G26. That's right, people, I said PRETTY - I really do think that Glocks are good-looking. Can't understand people who think they're ugly!

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 09:28
g26 and a tactical cut crossroads iwb and love it

Also a good combo. Decisions, decisions! Happily, or sadly, rather, I'll have a fair bit of time to make up my mind.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 09:55
I am not a big man by American standards (6 feet, 180 lbs) and would like members' views on the merits of CCWing a G26 or G19 in a warm State like TN, where clothing is likely to be light most of the year.

I know I could have both, but I would prefer to have two of one of them rather than one of each - it's a muscle memory thing.

Do I go for capacity or for small size? I can shoot either quite adequately.

Thank you for your thoughts, people - not a bad idea in any of them.

It will probably end up being a couple of G26s with the GAP mag floor plates and a N8 Tactical Professional rig. I might also get a G17 mag, or six, to spread around the house and the car's glove compartment.

So far so good. All I need now is lots of money and a kindly glance from your nice US Immigration people. Not a lot to ask, surely?

Rev.357
01-19-2013, 10:05
I'll say this, my G32 is the same size as the G19 & I carry it 90% of the time IWB. I carry my G26 on my ankle most every Sunday but, once u carry the G26 IWB you will love it!

mike g35
01-19-2013, 10:09
I carry both (one or the other depending on what I'm wearing). Obviously the G26 is easiest to conceal, but the G19 isn't hard to hide either. With you living in a warm climate where you'll not be wearing an outer shirt for most of the year I'd suggest the G26. Add some Warren FO sights and get a Galco KingTuk. Done.

iDivideByZero
01-19-2013, 10:12
This is all hypothetical at the moment - as I'm a Brit living in the UK, I can't currently own a hand gun anyway. It has always been my ambition to retire to the US, probably TN, as all of my interests are on your side of the pond. It may take some time but there's nothing wrong with preparation - and you have to keep the dream alive.

TN would welcome you with open arms, brother! Beautiful state, and very gun friendly!

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 10:21
I'll say this, my G32 is the same size as the G19 & I carry it 90% of the time IWB. I carry my G26 on my ankle most every Sunday but, once u carry the G26 IWB you will love it!

What I didn't mention, just keeping things simple, is that I've become a big fan of 357 Sig in recent years, so the G32 and G33 might also figure in my calculations. The cost of ammo at the present time would probably be a big drawback so I was trying to stay as real and practical as possible.

Re the G32, can I ask what sort of size you are, and your state's average climate?

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 10:28
TN would welcome you with open arms, brother! Beautiful state, and very gun friendly!

Mighty grateful! As I said in a previous reply, there are many places I think I should see in the US but I feel cheated if the plane doesn't end up at Nashville Airport. I have no idea why this is but I've long since stopped fighting it.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 10:36
I carry both (one or the other depending on what I'm wearing). Obviously the G26 is easiest to conceal, but the G19 isn't hard to hide either. With you living in a warm climate where you'll not be wearing an outer shirt for most of the year I'd suggest the G26. Add some Warren FO sights and get a Galco KingTuk. Done.

In Nashville, I normally wear a T shirt with untucked outer shirt so theoretically, the G19 wouldn't be a problem. Strangely, I also get on well with the standard Glock factory sights but who knows? I have a feeling that once I start, I won't stop. This is scary and exciting, all at the same time.

Just when I'd decided on the G26, I'm already starting to waver!

janice6
01-19-2013, 10:43
My philosophy is that "you and I" should carry the longest barrel, greatest number of rounds and/or the largest most effective caliber ,you can successfully conceal and accurately shoot.

Either are excellent weapons.

janice6
01-19-2013, 10:47

This is an excellent approach. IMO.

When I carry my G27 it is with a 13 round magazine. Short muzzle makes concealment easier.

Happypuppy
01-19-2013, 11:01
I am a bit bigger, but carry the 26 only. I had a couple 19s that i sold off became they were just unused. I can use from the 17-26 mags with the 26 if I wish and it carries on my body better.

The 2 things that turned me off to the 19 was it is longer and was not as comfortable appendix carry and the more rounds while nice made the gun heavier and heavier depending on the mag used. I am happy with shorter 26 mag and a bit smaller and lighter gun, that I will carry more often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 11:03
My philosophy is that "you and I" should carry the longest barrel, greatest number of rounds and/or the largest most effective caliber ,you can successfully conceal and accurately shoot.

Either are excellent weapons.

It's a very decent philosophy but there has to be some kind of practicality, of risk assessment. I will not be living in a war zone, nor gangland ghetto, just among normal everyday American people. I don't expect everybody to be looking at me with harm in mind but I would like to be properly prepared.

Unlike a lot of people, it seems, I don't think that the US is about to see the Apocalypse just yet. It's still a great, rich country which is going through one of its periodic upheavals. I'm convinced that things will settle down again and that life will proceed pretty much as it always has.

Of course, the point at which you set your level of preparedness is a purely personal one, one with which you feel comfortable.

I don't think we'll see The End Of Days yet awhile.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 11:13
I am a bit bigger, but carry the 26 only. I had a couple 19s and it just became that they were just unused. I can use from the 17-26 mags with them for the range if I wish and it carries on my body better.

The 2 things that turned me off to the 19 was it is longer and was not as comfortable appendix carry and the more rounds while nice made the gun heavier and heavier depending on the mag used. I am happy with shorter 26 mag and a bit smaller and lighter gun, that I will carry more often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Actually, I was considering appendix carry, among other things - it's highly convenient and tends to print a lot less than strong side carry with lighter clothing.

In that case, the G26 (or Glock 33 - see one of my other replies) would be the way to go, with my build.

Thanks for the insight.

J.ThaddeusToad
01-19-2013, 11:35
It's a very decent philosophy but there has to be some kind of practicality, of risk assessment. I will not be living in a war zone, nor gangland ghetto, just among normal everyday American people. I don't expect everybody to be looking at me with harm in mind but I would like to be properly prepared.

I live in a wonderful, upscale, highly educated, statistically safe community...It fits the profile for a mass shooting rampage episode perfectly.

This is why I carry a G19. It is the maximum firepower I can conceal on my little chubby body.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 12:13
I live in a wonderful, upscale, highly educated, statistically safe community...It fits the profile for a mass shooting rampage episode perfectly.

This is why I carry a G19. It is the maximum firepower I can conceal on my little chubby body.

Your community sounds lovely. Remind me, how many such rampages have there been there recently? Do you have many gun free zones there? These are the usual targets. If your neighbours feel as you do then you have probably taken the necessary steps, so you are free to carry on with your lives.

Here, we have quite recently come to the end of 30 years of IRA shootings and bombings. What we learned was that if you allow these people to change your way of life, if you are constantly waiting for the next bombing or shooting, then the bastards have won - screw 'em. This must not be allowed to happen

And please excuse my colourful Brit language - we feel quite strongly about this.

racer88
01-19-2013, 12:17
I live in sunny Florida. I carry a G27 in a CBST holster every day. I know it's not a G26, but it's the same size. I also own a gen 2 G19 and a gen 3 G23. I've not carried either, but I do prefer the size of the G27 / G26 for EDC. I carry a spare mag in a DeSantis Magpacker.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 12:34
I live in sunny Florida. I carry a G27 in a CBST holster every day. I know it's not a G26, but it's the same size. I also own a gen 2 G19. I've not carried it, but I do prefer the size of the G27 / G26 for EDC. I carry a spare mag in a DeSantis Magpacker.

Thanks for this - I've never got on with .40S&W for some reason which is strange, since 357 Sig is one of my favourite calibers. In fact, I shoot .45 ACP better than .40.

I think I'm heading back to the baby Glocks after some wavering.

racer88
01-19-2013, 12:40
Thanks for this - I've never got on with .40S&W for some reason which is strange, since 357 Sig is one of my favourite calibers. In fact, I shoot .45 ACP better than .40.

I think I'm heading back to the baby Glocks after some wavering.

My EDC:

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/EDC_zps9662f74c.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/holsters_12-09-11_0011.jpg

Agent6-3/8
01-19-2013, 12:47
Handle and if possible, shoot both before deciding. I personally very much dislike the feel of the subcompact Glocks. I however very much like the feel of the compacts.

I've carried my 3rd gen G19 pretty much exclusively as a CCW/off-duty gun for almost 7 years. I now use a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster and IWB mag carrier. I have no trouble concealing with a normal fitting t-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 13:11
Handle and if possible, shoot both before deciding. I personally very much dislike the feel of the subcompact Glocks. I however very much like the feel of the compacts.

I've carried my 3rd gen G19 pretty much exclusively as a CCW/off-duty gun for almost 7 years. I now use a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB holster and IWB mag carrier. I have no trouble concealing with a normal fitting t-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I've handled and shot both quite a lot - they are always to be found amongst the rental guns at pretty well any gun range. The G19 allows a secure three fingered grip but for me, the G26 was, if anything, even more secure with the standard mag floor plate; my pinky sliding under the mag seemed to push my hand even more firmly on to the grip and the backstrap fitted my hand almost as if it were made for it (I'm talking about a Gen3 here - I haven't handled a Gen4).

Reading this and other posts, it looks like I'm talking myself into the G26. Reading your post reminded me of a G27 I tried with a standard floor plate; most rental G26s that I've come across have had some form of Pierce extension.

Very helpful - thanks.

janice6
01-19-2013, 13:17

Unlike a lot of people, it seems, I don't think that the US is about to see the Apocalypse just yet. It's still a great, rich country which is going through one of its periodic upheavals. I'm convinced that things will settle down again and that life will proceed pretty much as it always has.

Of course, the point at which you set your level of preparedness is a purely personal one, one with which you feel comfortable.

I don't think we'll see The End Of Days yet awhile.

This isn't about "End of Days".

It's about the most effective pistol and round that will result in the least number of shots fired, to achieve the self defense required. Versus carrying a less effective weapon.

Or do you believe you will stop any threat with expert accuracy and one-shot drops.

I do not promote Zombie slaughter.

By the way, I am carrying a 6 shot revolver.

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 14:08
This isn't about "End of Days".

It's about the most effective pistol and round that will result in the least number of shots fired, to achieve the self defense required. Versus carrying a less effective weapon.

Or do you believe you will stop any threat with expert accuracy and one-shot drops.

I do not promote Zombie slaughter.

By the way, I am carrying a 6 shot revolver.

I've re-read the threads (I was getting a bit lost with all the replies) and I totally agree with you. It's just a question of what you feel is the most appropriate, how much danger you feel there is, and what form it would take. My "End Of Days" bit was because I felt that the preparation might be taking over too much of some peoples lives. It is, of course, for each individual to decide.

A one shot stop is a nice idea but not one I'd want to rely on. I'd just bang on with my 10+1 or 15+1 until, hopefully the threat stopped. The point is, having made your own personal risk assessment, you have to decide how many rounds do you feel would bring you optimum comfort, without weighing yourself down with a complete arsenal.

Carrying a six-shot revolver, I would want to be a much better shot than I currently am, particularly as I have very little experience with wheel guns. You are obviously comfortable with them, so good luck to you.

Actually, zombie slaughter sounds rather fun but I presume that they are fairly thin on the ground.

Badger54
01-19-2013, 15:05
I have both for the moment but I have trouble finding a time when I can't conceal the 19 as well as the 26. I do live in a cooler climate though so that may also play a part. I also moved here from the UK in 2009.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

taffbanjo
01-19-2013, 15:22
I have both for the moment but I have trouble finding a time when I can't conceal the 19 as well as the 26. I do live in a cooler climate though so that may also play a part. I also moved here from the UK in 2009.

Lucky man!

You're Pacific NW, I notice. If I were in WA, I don't think there would be a problem - I'd go with the G19. Mind you, I've heard that you sometimes get actual sunshine up there. The G19 no problem in summer?

jellis11
01-19-2013, 15:24
I'm in SC and am smaller than you. Carry my 26 every day IWB.

WT
01-19-2013, 15:28
In the beautiful hills of East Tennessee I am happy with a Glock 26 carried IWB under an untucked golf shirt.

Now if i were visiting Memphis it would be a Glock 19 OWB under a lightweight sport jacket ... with a couple of spare 33 round mags.

Badger54
01-19-2013, 15:31
Lucky man!

You're Pacific NW, I notice. If I were in WA, I don't think there would be a problem - I'd go with the G19. Mind you, I've heard that you sometimes get actual sunshine up there. The G19 no problem in summer?

If I want to wear a tshirt I usually toss it in an MTAC. Where an OC state also (as is TN) so that makes things easier although I don't OC myself.

Glockaround the Clock
01-19-2013, 15:35
I have owned the Glock 26 and 19 sold the 19 and bought another 26. My shooting with them was the same. I am 6 foot tall and wiegh 265 . No problem concealling a 26 it is my edc.

J.ThaddeusToad
01-20-2013, 01:01
Your community sounds lovely. Remind me, how many such rampages have there been there recently? Do you have many gun free zones there? These are the usual targets. If your neighbours feel as you do then you have probably taken the necessary steps, so you are free to carry on with your lives.

Here, we have quite recently come to the end of 30 years of IRA shootings and bombings. What we learned was that if you allow these people to change your way of life, if you are constantly waiting for the next bombing or shooting, then the bastards have won - screw 'em. This must not be allowed to happen

And please excuse my colourful Brit language - we feel quite strongly about this.

I didn't catch your point, and I don't think mine was clear.

There haven't been any mass shootings here, but I certainly don't want my family or me to be one of the first victims in Kingwood history. I simply brought up mass shootings to emphasize the fact that that type of incident is more likely to happen here than in a gangland ghetto, based on the profile. This is why I subscribe to the "biggest gun practical" argument stated earlier.

That being said, your point about being over-prepared and hyper vigilant is well taken.

Cheers! :supergrin:

Patchman
01-20-2013, 03:19
As for concealment, I started with the idea that during the summers, I'd CCW a G26 while the rest of the year it'd be the G19. Then I realized I could CCW the G19 just as well in the summers (by using a IWB holster), so now it's the G19 all year round.

But more importantly, as you intend to CCW either gun, you should do the following test: Wear the clothes you normally would, and carry both in the holster you prefer, in the concealed position you think you want. Then draw and present the gun like you needed it 1.3 seconds ago. How did the draw and present go with either gun?

(Ideally it should be draw, present, shoot. But not many ranges will allow this. Hence, the importance of taking a conceal carry class, where you should be doing this).

Most can shoot both guns equally accurate if allowed all the time in the world to get a comfortable grip, line up the sights, etc... But for CCW, you should get the model that allows you to maximize your ability to draw, present and accurately shoot like you needed to 1.3 seconds ago.

gtrcivic
01-20-2013, 14:00
I've carried my 17, 19, and 26. Out of the three, i prefer carrying the 26 in my crossbreed supertuck for EDC. Also have 2 17rd mags as well. I thought the 19 was small and good carry until i tried the 26. 17 is for the nightstand/kitchen gun.

Pepiot
01-20-2013, 20:48
The 26, 27 or 33 are the perfect size for me. I print to much with the 23.

Marshall Dillon
01-20-2013, 22:16
I've owned several G19s and one G26 for over 20 years. My G26 never sees daylight and sits in the safe among many other firearms.

For me, the G26 feels like I'm carrying a compact bag full of quarters whereas the G19 spreads the weight of the firearm better across the footprint of the gun and, thus, carries better on my 5'10" 200lb frame in an OWB pancake holster. I don't know if it's because there's more surface area against my body when compared to the size/weight of the gun or what. As usual, everybody's mileage will be different.

I will say that I shoot both guns equally well. The G26 is surprisingly easy to shoot for how short of a sight radius it has. However, the G19 carries so much better for me that one of the early G19s I own has seen carry duty for the past 20 years.

taffbanjo
01-21-2013, 05:00
I'm in SC and am smaller than you. Carry my 26 every day IWB.

Looks like a good bet - I believe that SC is even more humid than TN.

taffbanjo
01-21-2013, 05:09
In the beautiful hills of East Tennessee I am happy with a Glock 26 carried IWB under an untucked golf shirt.

Now if i were visiting Memphis it would be a Glock 19 OWB under a lightweight sport jacket ... with a couple of spare 33 round mags.

Thanks - Memphis is obviously wilder than I thought! 2 x 33 round mags must be uncomfortable to conceal, though.

SCmasterblaster
01-21-2013, 08:55
Go with the G19 - 16 rounds of 9mm power!